Any views on Kentmere film?
Old 04-07-2012   #1
River Dog
Always looking

Question Any views on Kentmere film?

My UK supplier is now stocking Kentmere at a reasonable price but is it any good, especially in Rodinal? Any recommendations on dilution and developing times (I normally use 1:25)?

Old 04-07-2012   #2
markrich
Enthusiatic amatuer

Isn't it made by Ilford? I suspect it can't be bad. I have a couple of rolls on order from Discount Films Direct. Not yet had the chance to use though :-)

Old 04-07-2012   #3
steveyork

It's made in the UK. I understand it's a bit grainy.

Old 04-07-2012   #4
Nigel Meaby

This discussion might prove useful http://www.flickr.com/groups/kentmer...7627434275433/

Seems you have to be careful with the 400 to tame the grain! I don't think using Rodinal with it would make a very good combination.

Old 04-07-2012   #5
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

Bought a few rolls of 100, expecting it to be rebadged FP4+. Sadly it isn't. I use it in HC-110 dilution 'B' for 8.5min @20 degrees Celsius, but the results lack 'bite' and are too grainy. Of course you can make decent pictures with it, it's just not to my taste.

Shot below was done on Kentmere 100, developed with the regime above. Nikon FM with a Nikon 85mm f1.8 AF.

Graveyard - b/w by Ronald_H, on Flickr

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 04-07-2012   #6
Roger Hicks

Kentmere 100 and 400 are effectively versions of FP4 and HP5 with less silver in them (a lower coating weight). This makes them slightly finickier about exposure and development.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-07-2012   #7
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Kentmere 100 and 400 are effectively versions of FP4 and HP5 with less silver in them
Another version on Kentmere.

Could it be that this film before were sold outside UK as Ilford PAN 100/400 (not PAN F) ? It did cost cheaper than any other Ilford film.

Old 04-07-2012   #8
Fotohuis

Yes, it's a cheaper export emulsion from Ilford/Harman. Rollei-Maco is using it for their RPX 100/400 films.

Old 04-07-2012   #9
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Kentmere 100 and 400 are effectively versions of FP4 and HP5 with less silver in them (a lower coating weight). This makes them slightly finickier about exposure and development.

Cheers,

R.
Hi Roger,

Could you elaborate on how a reduced of amount of silver causes a film to be more demanding? One of my biggest faults has been lack of consistency in the darkroom. Mainly because I wanted to change all and every parameter, without ever arriving at a film/developer/development regime that worked for me and I could repeat consistently.

Cheers,

Ronald

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 04-07-2012   #10
River Dog
Always looking

Any more scanned examples, please?

Old 04-07-2012   #11
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

It has an "older" look and grain, compared to FP4+ & HP5+. I had a few rolls of 400, but not enough to experiment with developers other than Rodinal. I wasn't all that happy with it in Rodinal. It might be fun in Finol or Tanol!

BTW, according to Simon Galley, Ilford does not rebadge emulsions.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 04-07-2012   #12
geertvn

I've shot Kentmere 400 @ 1600 and developed in DDX 1+4 20C for 15'20" (for scanning) and quite like the results. Haven't shot it at 400.
Kentmere 100 @ 100 I devolop in Ilfosol3 (1+14 - 20C) for 5'15". It's a lot less than the recommended time I've found somewhere (around 8min) and the negatives are a little on the thin side but they don't scan too bad. I tried 8 minutes once, which gave me thick negatives which were difficult to scan on a Nikon V (bleeding), then tried 6min, but ultimately preferred still thinner.

Old 04-07-2012   #13
MartinP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
BTW, according to Simon Galley, Ilford does not rebadge emulsions.
That is correct. This simply confirms that the Kentmere films are not HP5+ and FP4+ in different boxes. They are not the same emulsions but are made with a different formulation for a different end result - still made by Ilford/Kentmere though, with the consistency and quality control you would expect.

Old 04-07-2012   #14
Noserider

I've done some recent testing and can provide some starting point numbers since the data sheets list mostly Ilford chems.

I've done the K-400 in replenished Xtol, replenished UFG (very nice!) DK-50 1:1, Parodinal 1:25.

The K-100 I've done in Repl Xtol and some optically printed on RC samples are at
http://four-silver-atoms.com/2012/03...mere-100-test/

"From my understanding and more than a bit of pure conjecture, I think this film is a high quality level classic style emulsion, a totally new emulsion formula produced by ILFORD for the Kentmere brand using the newest of the AGFA coating line machines that Ilford bought after AGFA ceased APX film production. Just my guess.

But it does remind me a (more than a bit) of AGFA APX 100, as does (did) my first test roll of Kentmere 400"

UFG and DK-50 look to be my fave so far.

Old 04-07-2012   #15
Mablo

My best results from Kentmere 400 (and Rollei RPX400 which is the same film whatever Simon Galley says) come from undiluted Xtol and D-76 at EI200. In Rodinal it's much too grainy for my liking. It's grainy and highlights get blown out easily. Here is one example in HC-110b from a foggy day:

Old 04-10-2012   #16
haempe
negative guy

K400 is became my TriX substitute (I know, blasphemy!) in the last months for 800-3200 iso.
It pushes very well in TmaxDev without noticeable grain enlargement.
I have shoot not much in high iso recently, so I haven't formed a final opinion about this film, but I have a good feeling.

Some examples, sorry no sophisticated content:
@320 TMaxDev 1+4 - a bit flat, maybe a little bit overdeveloped

@1600 TMaxDev 1+4

@3200 TMaxDev 1+4

2x @400 Rodinal 1+25; 7,5 min; 20C

Next time I will try the K400 in D76 and Adox MQ Borax. I have high hopes for that...

haempe.net

Old 04-10-2012   #17
paulfish4570

the 400 is good in d-76 and tmax. no experience with other developers.

Old 04-10-2012   #18
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

I remember years ago Ilford (pre-bankruptcy) sold a line of film, the name of which I forget, that was distinctly grainier than FP-4 and HP-5+. "Universal," maybe? It was marketed as being for students, since it was inexpensive. Could this be the same stuff?

Old 04-10-2012   #19
jatiphoto

its the grainiest film ive ever used just developing in regular d76. rodinals my preferred developer, but i couldnt imagine using it with this film, unless i purposed wanted a WHOLE lot of grain in my shots.

i HAVE: m6 classic w/winder, M9, M240, 28 elmarit, 35 lux asph FLE, 50 lux asph

Old 04-10-2012   #20
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

I generally am not a fan of grain, but I like these last pictures. U Street corridor -- I used to live above there, in Mount Pleasant. Rain on the lens in the last one?

Old 04-10-2012   #21
paulfish4570

harman bought kentmere in 2007.
from a 2009 press release:

"After acquiring KENTMERE in 2007, it was always HARMAN’s intention to use its greater size and infrastructure to benefit this new addition to its business. As such, it has already used its expertise and advanced manufacturing technology to increase batch-to-batch consistency of the KENTMERE PHOTOGRAPHIC range. This latest development will help to boost market penetration."

the kentmere films are their own, it seems ...

Old 04-10-2012   #22
jatiphoto

yep rain. i havent done it yet, but this film would be great to shoot/dev in rodinal, to purposely have alot of grain.

i HAVE: m6 classic w/winder, M9, M240, 28 elmarit, 35 lux asph FLE, 50 lux asph

Old 04-10-2012   #23
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Did Kentmere make film prior to Harman's acquisition of it? Or did it only make paper? I ask because I had never heard of Kentmere film until I got a couple of rolls, and saw the Mobberly address on the box. My working theory is that Kentmere film is how they're branding some old school Ilford emulsions, but I may be way off on this.

Old 04-10-2012   #24
paulfish4570

kentmere was making its own film and paper.

Old 04-11-2012   #25
Fotohuis

Papers, yes they produced.
Film: new since Ilford/Harman merged them.

Under the Kentmere label they are selling a cheaper line films.

Old 04-11-2012   #26
wojtek

I didn't like it. Souped in HC110 it was rather dull and very flat. I won't use it again.

Old 04-11-2012   #27
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_H View Post
Hi Roger,

Could you elaborate on how a reduced of amount of silver causes a film to be more demanding? One of my biggest faults has been lack of consistency in the darkroom. Mainly because I wanted to change all and every parameter, without ever arriving at a film/developer/development regime that worked for me and I could repeat consistently.

Cheers,

Ronald
Dear Ronald,

Very briefly, given that I am not an emulsion chemist and that this is based on limited understanding:

On a conventional cubic-crystal film, there is a wide range of crystal sizes, which translates directly into more latitude. Up to a certain point, more silver is better, simply for tonality and latitude. Beyond that point, of course, there's no advantage in more silver.

Films with a bigger range of crystal sizes and more silver are also more forgiving when it comes to development.

If you hit on EXACTLY the right exposure and development regime, the Kentmere films can deliver excellent results, but their silver-richer cousins will give you better results, easier.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-11-2012   #28
River Dog
Always looking

Thanks for the information, I will stick with Acros 100 in Rodinal.

Old 04-11-2012   #29
Taija71A

Re: Kentmere Films... ARRRGH!!! ^$*#~&#[email protected]*
_____

Like my Mother always told me... "If you can't say something good about something... Then don't say anything at all."

I can't help but feel, that this is *** Definitely *** the case with respect to the Kentmere films.

Old 04-17-2012   #30
kossi008
Photon Counter

I happen to quite like the K400 / RPX400, and it's definitely NOT grainier than HP5+. Here are some examples:
Rated at 400 in Xtol1+1:

Rated at 200 in Spur SD2525:

Recently I have rated it at 800 and developed in Emofin with very nice results (no uploads yet, unfortunately)...

I've also briefly tested the K100 and will probably adopt that as my substitute for APX100 when that runs out...

Old 04-17-2012   #31
Fotohuis

Both with very nice results. Good job!

Old 12-07-2016   #32
RicD

Oh-my, I am a few years late to this party.

My opinion of Kentmere 100 and 400 is based solely on images presented in this thread; I have not used any Kentmere film. To my eye these images appear the same as Kodak Tri-X we used in the 60s.

Tri-X today is different than back then. There have been numerous (do not know how many) changes to Tri-X emulsion bringing it to the Tri-X we now use. Back in the 60s Kodak said shoot Tri-X 200 at double its rated speed. Thus 200 would be 400, however development time did not change. For those old enough to remember that it would be interesting to hear your opinion as well.

Kentmere may be attempting to produce that much older Tri-X look and feel thus the grain we now see in their film; only a guess. For my B&W shooting my first choice is Ilford FP4 Plus, second choice Delta 100.

Old 12-07-2016   #33
mpaniagua

I would say Kentmere 400 grains could be more "Harsh" than Tri-x. Great film though.

Old 12-07-2016   #34
Jake Mongey

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrich View Post
Isn't it made by Ilford? I suspect it can't be bad. I have a couple of rolls on order from Discount Films Direct. Not yet had the chance to use though :-)
Its now made by ilford however, its not an ilford design. I shot it in bulk for a while and enjoyed it, IMO straight at box with standard developer its not anything to write home about but once you try different techniques with developers such as Rodinol it really comes to life.

One of my favourite ways to shoot it is pushed to 800 and stood in rodinol for 1.5 hours 1+100 which gives it a lovely look and good contrast

Old 12-07-2016   #35
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mongey View Post
Its now made by ilford however, its not an ilford design. I shot it in bulk for a while and enjoyed it, IMO straight at box with standard developer its not anything to write home about but once you try different techniques with developers such as Rodinol it really comes to life.

One of my favourite ways to shoot it is pushed to 800 and stood in rodinol for 1.5 hours 1+100 which gives it a lovely look and good contrast
Thanks for the info Jake. Will try it. Usually stick with D-76 and yeah, regular results, nothing that great. I usually use it when I just shoot for fun or on my photo-walks around the office or my home. Cheap

Old 12-07-2016   #36
Jon Buffington

The 100 is really a nice, classic emulsion film. Developers I use are hc-110, rodinal and d-76. Examples:

hc-110 dil h (pakon f135+ scan)

rodinal 1:50

kentmere 400 is also really nice as well (though 100 is a bit nicer). Both tend to bloom in the highlights in strong backlight situations, probably a thin anti halation layer. Some may like that look for certain situations
d-76

hc-110 dil h

I have and do shoot a bunch of this film, all bought in bulk. Fantastic price point for a nice general purpose film. Sure, I like shooting other stuff like tmax, delta, fp4+, hp5+, triX, double X etc, but, I can't complain when I use kentmere. The 400 sometimes leaves me wanting a spec more from it (the 100 is very nice) but really, I could just change developers or make do.

Old 12-07-2016   #37
johnf04

Two photos taken with Kentmere 100 developed in Rodinal 1:50. The cameras were an Agfa Agfaflex IV, and a Yashica Pentamatic.

Old 12-07-2016   #38
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicD View Post
Oh-my, I am a few years late to this party.

My opinion of Kentmere 100 and 400 is based solely on images presented in this thread; I have not used any Kentmere film. To my eye these images appear the same as Kodak Tri-X we used in the 60s.

Tri-X today is different than back then...
Sweet!

But how do you know? Negatives scans wasn't option in the 60s.
And I believe what bw negative film is to be judge by the prints.

Those are scans of the prints, from Kentmere 400:

From Kentmere 100:

Old 12-07-2016   #39
Greyscale

Kentmere 100 in D76 was the first film that I ever developed at home, I suppose that it will always have a spot in my heart because of that.

From that first roll

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-07-2016   #40
Daryl J.

Elsewhere on this forum, it was mentioned Kentmere 400 was recently reformulated.

True?

If yes, when? And what changed?

Thanks!