Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders

Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders This forum is for 35mm Kodak Retinas and Ektras rangefinders. The Retinas are known for their German engineering, relatively modest price and superb lenses. The Ektras are known as by far the finest 35mm American made rangefinder ever made.

Factory Repair Manual for Retina IIa?
Old 12-07-2011   #1
UberSquid

Factory Repair Manual for Retina IIa?

I've been looking for a repair manual for the Retina IIa with no luck. I have a nice looking IIa that needs to have the shutter cleaned, it's stuck, but I keep hearing about how hard these are to work on so I'd like to have a manual if possible.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2011   #2
Jack Conrad

I don't know about a service manual, but there are a couple things to rule out before digging into the shutter.

If you are aware of the frame counter lock which prevents the shutter from firing if it has finished its count, then the next thing would be to unscrew the front lens and very cautiously apply lighter fluid with a soft small brush or swab to the blades and see if that might unstick them.

Otherwise. I haven't got any more advice, though I do have a nice plastic baggy filled with pile of perfectly good rubble to a IIc if you're ever in need of some parts.

Old 12-07-2011   #3
UberSquid

I've already tried all of that. I've done the CLA on several cameras now but I'm a bit intimidated by the IIa.

I'm always looking for parts!

Old 12-28-2011   #4
mconnealy

You can access the shutter through the top by removing the front and center lens groups. You may be able to clear the problem with the application of a little Ronsonal. It gets more complicated if it is necessary to separate the shutter from the body as the shutter cocking mechanism is a little tricky to deal with. Chris Sherlock's web site has the best info I have found on servicing the Retinas.

Old 12-28-2011   #5
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Repairing the IIa is easy IF you have the right tools. The difficult part is getting the shutter cocking assembly lined up in the right position so the advance will work.. Off by one tooth and it won't work. You can also damage the cocking rack if off. I've done this many times and have developed a method of doing it right the first time but again proper tools are needed if you don't want to cause any damage..

Using lighter fluid is not recommended while the shutter is attached to the body since it can get into the helicoid and flush out needed grease. It can also soak into the bellows causing it to come loose at the glued ends.

My suggestion is to find a good repairman who knows this camera and will do it right..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery