Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Off Topic

Off Topic Feel like venting or just passing a joke? If so, do it here. Please keep it clean. Minors do visit this site.

PCs, Macs, dilemma!
Old 09-11-2006   #1
jrong
Too many cameras

PCs, Macs, dilemma!

I've recently been tempted by an Apple iMac desktop. I've had PCs (dual-booting with Win2k and Linux for years) all my life, but think that OS X is the best thing Apple has ever done for its marketing... The 20" monitor is frankly, also really tempting...

The big drawback for me is that I already have a 3-year old PC that I'm quite used to, and has served me well so far. It may well last me another couple of years before breaking down, so I can't feel I can easily justify a new Mac. However, I might be able to justify it if I can connect the PC to the Mac's 20" TFT monitor - moreover, I can get rid of my ancient 15" CRT and clear a lot of space on my desk! I could use a KVM switch to switch between the Mac and the PC, and use the same (Mac) monitor.

Does anyone know whether it is at all possible to connect a PC to an iMac flat-screen monitor? Do I need special cable plug adapters, or is it just impossible and I shouldn't even start thinking about it?

Has anyone else ever had a similar dilemma?

Jin

Old 09-11-2006   #2
Ash
Selflessly Self-involved

I wouldn't bother. Backup everything to the harddrive, and have it in an external casing, then dualboot windows and osx on your new mac - then your old pc is technically alive without the bulk.

Old 09-11-2006   #3
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

The 20" iMac is a complete computer, not a monitor.

Buy it and see the advantage.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 09-11-2006   #4
jrong
Too many cameras

I am running Linux on my PC, so I don't know if the advantage is going to be that huge.

However, I do need to run Photoshop and Dreamweaver on my Windows partition, which is the ONLY reason I dual-boot. If they made PS for Linux, I wouldn't even be using Windoze. But dual-booting can be a pain when I need to flip between OSes. Macs will give me the best of both worlds, I imagine. It just seems a terrible waste to "upgrade" a PC that is working perfectly.... so in my mind it would be better if I could still use it. I live in such a small space that it'd be impossible for me to keep two separate computers + monitors.

Jin

Old 09-11-2006   #5
kaiyen
local man of mystery

I'm a bit confused.

First, no, you cannot drive just the display part of an iMac with any other machine, PC or otherwise. You can do the opposite, and it supports extended desktop (at one point there was a question about iMacs only doing mirroring, but that was early on).

It seems that you are familiar with bootcamp - you can run Windows on an iMac. That's what I do at work. Most software is designed on a per-machine basis, so you are within your rights to install on both platforms. Microsoft products are an exception, and of course you have to have the media for both (which basically means that, of the major apps out there, the Macromedia ones are the only ones that fit this nice cost-saving loophole).

If you set up hibernation on your windows side, you can hibernate windows, reboot into OS X, then shut down and boot back into windows in about...3 minutes. It's ridiculously fast. I do this probably 1-2 times per day at work. I work predominantly in windows, and use the OS X side for Aperture (which isn't work-related at all :-) and for testing OS X apps when doing documentation and for general knowledge.

I think the new iMacs are extremely solid computers for everything, and are at a good price point right now. I will be getting a 20" probably in a few months, and turning this PC basically into a scanning station.

allan

Old 09-11-2006   #6
jrong
Too many cameras

The thing about Mac OS X is... I know it has a Linux kernel, but as compared to a Linux machine, it is less flexible for the user? Will I still be able to compile applications on it? What about Latex for Macs? I don't care about Windows and certainly would be very glad to see the last of it, but I don't want to lose my PC running Linux.

From what you all say, the Mac is an integrated processor/display system and does not have a separate monitor as such, thus it is useless to think about plugging a PC in and just using the display. Agggh. Back to the "drawing board". Thanks for the insights.

Jin

Old 09-11-2006   #7
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

Jin: You're in London so go to AppleStore in Regents Street and see and try the iMac there.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 09-11-2006   #8
AndersG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrong
The thing about Mac OS X is... I know it has a Linux kernel, but as compared to a Linux machine, it is less flexible for the user? Will I still be able to compile applications on it? What about Latex for Macs? I don't care about Windows and certainly would be very glad to see the last of it, but I don't want to lose my PC running Linux.
Ahem, Mac OS X does not have a Linux kernel, it has its own specialized kernel with a *BSD personality/interface. That means the system is "Unix-like" just like GNU/Linux is, but there are certainly differences that can affect the portability of applications (just like the usual mess when moving between Solaris, IRIX, *BSD and GNU/Linux).

Cheers,

Anders

Old 09-11-2006   #9
kmack
do your job, then let go

Quote:

From what you all say, the Mac is an integrated processor/display system and does not have a separate monitor as such, thus it is useless to think about plugging a PC in and just using the display. Agggh. Back to the "drawing board". Thanks for the insights.

Jin
First the OS X kernel is not linux. It is a modified BSD micro-kernel, still UNIX at it's core. Linux binaries will not run on OS X.

If you add the X11 support to OSX (it is included on the install disks) you can recompile most linux apps to work on OS X.

All in all a new Mac with Dual Boot into WinXP will allow you to have the best of breed of Apple, Windows and Open Source software at your disposal.
Go with the Mac, It really is the best of all worlds.

Old 09-11-2006   #10
Finder
-

There is now a 24" iMac.

Old 09-11-2006   #11
jrong
Too many cameras

Oh, for some bizarre reason I thought it had a Linux kernel. Thanks for putting it right! At any rate, it is *very* comforting to know that it is possible to recompile some of my favourite apps to run under OS X as well.

Jon, I've been to the Apple store. It's almost always overcrowded when I go, and the Apple staff have not always been very clued-up about their own systems. One of the staff was even clueless when I asked her how to bring up a terminal console and then told me it was impossible (but I found it myself later). But the iMacs look absolutely great. The 20" is a dream.

I guess I am just not used to throwing perfectly *good* old computers away. Maybe I should think about a Mac Book Pro laptop instead and keep my existing desktop PC (but no 20"... sniff).

Jin

Old 09-11-2006   #12
sirvine

jrong:

I am guessing that your PC has an Intel CPU. If so, there's no reason that I know of that would prevent you from copying both your Linux and Windows installs to your new iMac, and running all three operating systems in parallel.

Old 09-11-2006   #13
Goodyear
Happy-snap ninja

Not really addressing the questions asked, but I bought a MacBook a few months back as my portable to se alongside a Windows desktop, and now scanning and other photo-related stuff is all I ever boot the PC for. OS X is the business.

I have a blog.
And some images on Flickr.

Old 09-11-2006   #14
willie_901

Latex for OS X is available through a number of Unix-based programs that l run under Apple's X-11 program. Non-Apple X-11 environments are available as well.

A Google search on Latex OS-X will get you started.

Latex works great on OS-X.

willie
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-11-2006   #15
rncamero

Jin, although you can't physically connect your PC to the iMac monitor, it's possible to make a Remote Desktop connection from the iMac to your PC:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient

Good enough for doing sys admin work... any photo/graphic intensive work I end up doing on the Mac.

I would hold off buying a 1st generation MacBook Pro - I think they're due soon for an upgrade anyway. The new desktops on the other hand...

Old 09-11-2006   #16
xabi

get a mac and don't look back

Old 09-12-2006   #17
Nick R.
Still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901
Latex for OS X is available through a number of Unix-based programs that l run under Apple's X-11 program. Non-Apple X-11 environments are available as well.

A Google search on Latex OS-X will get you started.

Latex works great on OS-X.

willie
Try TeXShop latex. You don't need to run X-11 to use it.
When OSX first came out, I used to run X-11 apps all the time. Now I never do as most of the unix stuff has GUI versions which work fine.

Old 09-12-2006   #18
Macpod

No you cant.

Has anyone seen the 24incher yet? wow!

Old 09-12-2006   #19
John Camp

Don't change yet. Wait for Vista to come out, and then decide.

I run entirely on Macs, having changed a couple of years ago -- and the change was really expensive. The operating system is way better, and the security is way better, but the software is much more limited; Microsoft Word, for example, seems an obvious kludge, and Apple doesn't offer anything as good. Photoshop is the same.

If you want a big screen for a PC, you can buy one from Dell, and I've seen a couple of others around now. They should be plug 'n play with your present computer.

Macs are good, IMHO, for people like me who use computers like toasters. I don't care about the machines, I don't care about the internal works of the software. All I want is a solid word processing program, Photoshop, and a decent browser for the net. Macs are okay with the word processing (as long as Word continues to function -- this is important because most businesses use Word, and I need the compatibility), good with Photoshop, and good on the 'net, although there are some places on the net that don't work with Safari.

Macs, in other words, are easier than Windows, once you catch on. But I think they are also more limited.

JC

Old 09-12-2006   #20
jrong
Too many cameras

I obviously do not know anything much about Macs, apart from the fact that it looks good, is far more stable than Windoze and runs all the apps that I need/use at home (Photoshop/Dreamweaver). For word processing, I've not used Word in years, preferring Latex (and some nifty front-ends on KDE such as kLyx or Kile). I've also noticed that OpenOffice offers a decent WYSIWYG word processor for OS X.

I don't have the time nor inclination to download security patches from Microsoft every few days... so my Windoze partition NEVER goes online. Only the Linux one does. This is a major pain for me because I have to reboot into different partitions depending on what I want to do - and an integrated system just seems more sensible.

So the consensus seems to be - buy the iMac, I probably won't regret it...

I'll have to do some more thinking, of course.

Jin

Old 09-12-2006   #21
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

I just bought a macbook.
I like it alot, but it IS a pain that about everybody uses Windows at work (university). I can't get the usual multi-license software, i can't get hooked on the network disk drives. There's no Origin for Mac OS, only Igor which is extremely expensive and the IT guys will NOT buy it for me. And so on.

But i still am glad i bought it. The small 13" wide screen is surprisingly good, although the vertical viewing angle is small. I bet that 20" (or 24") iMac is fantastic. I looked on it in the apple store for a short while but then ran away, temptation was high.

Old 09-12-2006   #22
kaiyen
local man of mystery

Pherdinand,
One question (i don't want to touch mac vs. Pc, though I completely empathize (not just sympathize) with trying to use a mac in a pc-dominated environment, even at a university):

why can't you connect to network shares with your mac? There isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to...

allan

Old 09-12-2006   #23
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Allan -
that's a good question.
There's nobody around me that would know the answer.
I hook up to the same network. I can log on to the same server(s). I have internet access.
I just cannot see the network drives like i do with a Win XP-based computer. They just aren't there.

Old 09-12-2006   #24
tkluck

If you invest the time it takes to understand Linux in understanding Windoze you will wind up with the most bang for your buck. And by a very wide margin.
I've got no great love for Microsoft, but face it at the moment they rule the world.

Besides, the best games only run an a PC...

Old 09-12-2006   #25
kaiyen
local man of mystery

Pherdinand,
If the issue is literally just the ability to connect, then it's either that Servicers for Macintosh are not started on the Windows server, you need the Microsoft UAM (microsoft.com/mac, other products), or both.

I don't think that the computers showing up in the "Connect to Server" features in OS X is great, but if you know the name of the server, you can connect via AFP or SMB (the latter being preferable). Once you've connected once, that server shows up on your list of previously connected ones.

This works even if the windows computer is in a domain, btw. Though a domain windows box can't connect to a mac.

allan

Old 09-12-2006   #26
michael.panoff

my 2 cents:

- photoshop running under rosetta on a mac is slow, my PC has become a dedicated photography machine -- both for scanning and photoshopping

- i used to be hardcore pc head, professionally I'm a software developer.. java web-applications, I've completely transitioned to the mac. I run parallels on my macs (mini and macbook pro) if I need to use IE or some other windows specific software.

- photoshop under parallels is slow, but bootcamp should be fine.. one of these days adobe will release the universal version of photoshop

- there is a unix like packaging system for macs, for x11 apps, you will have to install the x11 software from apple (it on the OS X cd) then get this: http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/ and this http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/

- load you mac with 2 gigs of memory, it really makes them scream.. don't buy the memory from apple, total rip. Go to Fry's and get the Patriot dealio, install yourself.. save a couple hundred bucks

Old 09-12-2006   #27
kmonroe6

More 2 cents:

I switched last spring to a Macbook Pro. I use Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/) to run Windows XP when needed. Parallels will run a number of OS including "any Linux distribution." I haven't tried a Linux install yet.

Photoshop may be slower but I don't really notice it. If I could do it over, I'd get the new 24" iMac and install Parallels on it. Then! - I'd get the MacBook (the small one) just to have something to keep my lap warm when sitting.

Old 09-12-2006   #28
Goodyear
Happy-snap ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Camp
Don't change yet. Wait for Vista to come out, and then decide.

I run entirely on Macs, having changed a couple of years ago -- and the change was really expensive. The operating system is way better, and the security is way better, but the software is much more limited; Microsoft Word, for example, seems an obvious kludge, and Apple doesn't offer anything as good. Photoshop is the same.
I don't know. Running on OS X under Rosetta on the MacBook, Word is a little slow (bring on the Universal), but it's a much nicer environment than on Windows. That's how I find it, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkluck
If you invest the time it takes to understand Linux in understanding Windoze you will wind up with the most bang for your buck. And by a very wide margin.
I've got no great love for Microsoft, but face it at the moment they rule the world.
Meh. Don't know about that either. I would put it the other way round: the time invested in Winows, invest in Linux... Or go OS X and get the sexiest UI with the power of a *nix system.

Popularity is not a measure of goodness. Nor is price. Look at us, a ghetto in the world of PnS digicams
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkluck
Besides, the best games only run an a PC...
That's okay, I keep an old PC, too. Plenty good for Half-Life 2

I have a blog.

Old 09-13-2006   #29
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Thanks Kaiyen for the details. I will look into these things, especially to see what the server is running and what it is not. Although i'm afraid i'll have no influence on that.

I also thought about the game issue but lately i don't play that often, and if i do, i play with stupid small games for a short while, games that are available for mac as well. Like "neverball".

Photoshop on my macbook is fast enough. I use it for scanning and editing lately. I just wish the hard disk would be 10x as much as it is now (almost time for an external disk!).

Warming up my lap, indeed. The small MacBook is great for that!

Old 09-13-2006   #30
jrong
Too many cameras

Windows is just awful, no matter how much time you invest in it. It's a severely crippled system that treats its users like idiots or very small children. I only wish I'd invested the time to learn Latex when I was in university, instead of writing my thesis on Microsoft Word 2.0 and wasting hours of work because of freezes/crashes and having to save each chapter into a separate floppy, "just in case". Never again!

Is Fink something like rpm's for Fedora/RH Linux-ers?

You see, all these terms like "bootcamp" etc. don't make any sense to me, not ever having used a Mac. But it has occurred to me that my KDE desktop kind of resembles a Mac, and the 20" is so seriously tempting (Ok, 24"... but my desk is a bit small...).

If I save all my mail in a textfile like mbox, will I be able to import it into Apple Mail?

Sorry for the geek questions on this forum but I seem to be locked out of all the geek forums from here at work, strangely enough... but they have forgotten to lock the RF forum.

Jin

Old 09-13-2006   #31
Goodyear
Happy-snap ninja

Quote:
You see, all these terms like "bootcamp" etc. don't make any sense to me, not ever having used a Mac. But it has occurred to me that my KDE desktop kind of resembles a Mac, and the 20" is so seriously tempting (Ok, 24"... but my desk is a bit small...).

If I save all my mail in a textfile like mbox, will I be able to import it into Apple Mail?
BootCamp is Apple's software (really just a basic partitioning package, bootloader and collection of hardware drivers) for runing windows on the newer intel-based macs.

What mail software do you ue currently? I prefer Thunderbird oer Apple Mail anyway.

I have a blog.

Old 09-13-2006   #32
jrong
Too many cameras

I'm using KMail (KDE's default mail client) on Linux. It works very well for me. I have the ability to export my mail in mbox format (which is basically just one huge ASCII text file) and want to know whether it is possible to import mail in that format in any of the Mac's popular email clients.

Jin

Old 09-13-2006   #33
foolstop

Hi jrong,

I am using WinXP, Mac (mini) and Redhat at the same time.
may I can summarize the the situation for you.

1. Go visit apple dot com and see your options if you want to choose the Mac route. If you want to add as little hardware as possible in order to save space, you may choose the Mac mini, it is really small.

Just need to add a KVM switch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch) and your Mac and PC can share the same set of keyboard, monitor and mouse.

2. The new, current batch of Mac machines use Intel CPU just like your PC, you have many choices here:-

a. like dual booting between Linux and Win$ in your PC, using GRUB or Lilo in Linux, you can dual/multi- boot your Mac machines for Linux, MacOSX and Win$ using "bootcamp" from Apple.

b. or you may choose to run a system emulator software (now they have a new method called virtualization because of new hardware support from the CPU) like the "Paralllels" from parallels.com, it is not expensive, you can run Win$ or Intel based Linux distributions on top of your MacOSX by using the software Parallels, the guess OS (e.g. Redhat) runs like an application. Then you can run whatever softwares you like, Latex or KDE etc on your Linux, there may be certain degree of performance penalty though.

c. If you want to compile and run your Unix software on MacOSX, you may do so as the GCC complier for OSX is included in the installation disk, called the Xcode, it would be installed automatically. If you want to compile a Linux version of your code, you need to compile it within Linux using the Linux GCC compiler as the Mac is a BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) based kernel which is different from the Linux kernel hence the compilers are different.

c. In fact, a lot of Linux softwares have OSX version, even the heavy weight server softwares like Apache, php etc. If you really need to run some X11 based codes on the MacOSX directly, you have an option, using the X11 for Mac OS X, http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/

d. I have been using KMail in the past, now I have switched to Thunderbird,
http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

It works like KMail, may be even better, may be you can give it a trial.

And the following link from Thunderbird tells you how to migrate from KMail to Thunderbird.
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq#kmail

3. As some people have suggested, just switch to Mac and don't look back, despite the BSD kernel, and the beautiful appearance and user friendly interface, under the hood, it is an Unix, you can find most of the corresponding Linux counterparts from OSX, including the command line (terminal)interface, user management etc. Nevertheless, I must admit that the only drawback of using Linux is the monitor calibration and lack of colour space support in the GIMP (yet), you would benefit from the Mac after switching to OSX.

4. Last, good luck!

Last edited by foolstop : 09-13-2006 at 03:31.

Old 09-13-2006   #34
kmack
do your job, then let go

Quote:
I'm using KMail (KDE's default mail client) on Linux. It works very well for me. I have the ability to export my mail in mbox format (which is basically just one huge ASCII text file) and want to know whether it is possible to import mail in that format in any of the Mac's popular email clients.

Jin
Yes, the OS X mail.app will import mbox format.

Old 09-14-2006   #35
amoz

Dear jrong,

You've gotten a lot of good advice already, let me just add/confirm that as far as LaTeX goes, TeXShop and BibTeX make a killer combo on a mac. I have been using Kile on SuSE/KDE as well, but this thing --as so many things mac-- makes life easier (and not in a add-more-gadgets kind of way).

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2006   #36
Stu :)

Currently I'm running a PC and Mac side by side with a PowerBook thrown in for good measure. With Apple going Intel based; which I think is a good thing and all the howling Mac purists can go take a jump; and the coming of age of OSX, I don't think the PC will feature much more in my future. Especially with what I've seen of beta versions of Vista.
Personally I foresee a MacBookPro with loads of external storage, dual booting XP for games like Age of Empires, Cossacks, GTA and those old DOS games I love and been playing for the last 15 years! Only thing I don't like is iTunes- I'm a Winamp guy.

Stu

P.S. Want to know what Microsoft did with all the surplus PowerPC chips when they got Apple and Intel hand-in-hand? Open a one of those Xbox 360s... "hmm, this looks just like an old G5, hang on a minute!..."

Old 09-14-2006   #37
jrong
Too many cameras

Thanks guys, you have all been very persuasive. I think I've made up my mind to get an iMac with a 20" display.

I'll keep both systems running for a transition period, until I migrate all my favourite apps over....

I hope I don't regret this when Vista comes out...

The iMac looks like an integrated display+computer system - how on earth do I open it myself to add more RAM? Won't that violate the warranty?

Jin

Old 09-14-2006   #38
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

You can open it dead simple. Instructions on the net. Five minute job.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

Old 09-14-2006   #39
willie_901

Welcome to the Mac world.

As Jon said it is trivial to add memory. The iMac manual has a perfectly clear section on this. Adding memory does not violate the warrenty. However if you happen to purchase defective thord-party memory Apple will not be much help. Of course you can keep the shipment memory for a while in the unlikely event the third-party memory becomes suspect.

willie
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-15-2006   #40
jrong
Too many cameras

Thanks a lot for the tips.

Once I get my iMac up and running, listen to me moan about how much Photoshop CS costs.....

Jin