Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder

Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder A dedicated forum to the first Digital Leica M mount rangefinder camera.

Leica 1.25x Viewfinder Magnifier for a RD1
Old 06-09-2006   #1
2001alal

Leica 1.25x Viewfinder Magnifier for a RD1

hi folks
could anyone tell me if there is a 1.25x Viewfinder Magnifier similar to
the one for a leica M that can be used on the RD1
thanks
alex

Old 06-10-2006   #2
anglophone1
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001alal
hi folks
could anyone tell me if there is a 1.25x Viewfinder Magnifier similar to
the one for a leica M that can be used on the RD1
thanks
alex
Take a look at:
http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/prod...roducts_id=112
Best
Clive

Old 06-10-2006   #3
Bob Parsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglophone1
Thanks for that information. I've just ordered one - so we shall see

They're not available in the UK, and since I use the camera with the Noctilux a magnifier would be a welcome addition.

Bob.

Old 06-10-2006   #4
2001alal

Quote:

thanks Clive
ordered one today hope it helps
all the best
alex

Old 06-10-2006   #5
jimbobuk

Do tell how this works out (with pics if possible, be nice to see the thing as that page has no picture).. both the product and the shop.

Cheers

Jim

Old 06-14-2006   #6
Bob Parsons

Thumbs up

Excellent fast friendly service, good communications. The total time from placing the order was 4 days from Japan to the UK.

Very early observations.

1. The magnifier attaches in the same way as you would mount a diopter correction lens.

2. There's an inbuilt +/- diopter correction which is adjustable. That's a big plus for anyone whose eyes have limited accomodation. Unlike an SLR, with a direct vision finder your eyes have to focus on the subject as it's distance varies.

3. All optical surfaces are coated.

4. 50mm frame lines are easily visible, 35mm frame not quite and 28mm not at all. The 35mm not being completely visible is aggravated by the rangefinder patch moving as you focus. When wearing glasses the complete 50mm frame is not quite visible.

5. There is no anti scratch rubber on the rear of the magnifier.

6. It's possible to separate the optical components if you over do the diopter adjustment - but easy to screw back together again.

Overall a very favorable impression. It's certainly going to be useful with lenses like the Noctilux and Canon 0.95. The extra magnification is sufficient to show that my rangefinder which I thought was OK is not quite aligned correctly.

If anyone can read Japanese I'd be interested to know what the instruction sheet says.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag1.jpg (76.9 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg mag2.jpg (33.9 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg mag3.jpg (44.9 KB, 261 views)

Old 06-14-2006   #7
Bob Parsons

Since I exceeded my three uploads, here is the instruction sheet:

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag4.jpg (57.8 KB, 293 views)

Old 06-14-2006   #8
PeterL
--

Bob,

I don't have anything to do with an R-D1, but I bumped into this thread by accident. It translates something like this:

Magnification x 1.3, 2 surfaces (or 2 sides) multi-coated
Diopter correction. The text next to the arrows say: clockwise = short sighted. Other arrow: unscrew.

Strong points: connects to the rear of the finder. Framelines (can't read) enlarge the image. Specifically effective for one-eye range finder cameras with APS size sensor.

Diopter correction is available. You get a wider field of view when not using glasses.

(underlined paragraph)

In some cases, the screw thread of the finder doesn't screw in all the way, but that's no problem.

Then something about after sales service which I didn't bother to translate

EDIT: looking back, I think the bit I can't read probably says something like: framelines are enlarged with the image. That would make sense

Peter.

Bob
Old 06-14-2006   #9
2001alal

Bob

wow bob you got your fast
still waiting for mine
thy told me there was a back order because thy are selling well
you must have got the last one
hope im as happy as you are with mine when i get it lol
lets thanks Clive for the find
thanks Clive
alex

Old 06-15-2006   #10
JapanExposures
-

Hello all,

indeed, Bob's was the last I had in stock and he ordered first. Sorry about the delay to everyone else, but they are on their way to you already.

The manufacturer of these is a one man operation in a small workshop outside of Tokyo. The products are great but when they are too successful there is sometimes a few days of delay.

Regards

Dirk (from Megaperls Webshop)

Last edited by JapanExposures : 06-15-2006 at 20:26.

Old 06-15-2006   #11
AndersG

Hi!

Do you know if this magnifier would fit the eye piece of the Canon 7?
The 135mm frame is rather tiny.

/Anders

Old 06-15-2006   #12
rfm

Thanks for the heads up on this product.
I just ordered one also.
I use a noctilux and 75 lux on my R-D1 quite a bit and this should be helpful.
It should be very useful when adjusting the RF.
Ron

Old 06-15-2006   #13
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaperls
Hello all,

indeed, Bob's was the last I had in stock and he ordered first. Sorry about the delay to everyone else, but they are on their way now.

The manufacturer of these is a one man operation in a small workshop outside of Tokyo. The products are great but when they are too successful there is sometimes a few days of delay.

Regards

Dirk (from Megaperls Webshop)
Can you tell us if they're back in stock now? I'm very interested.

Old 06-15-2006   #14
JapanExposures
-

Hello again. They were back in stock but have since sold out again, but we get more today and I am putting in a special order with MS to have even more tomorrow.

Actually, we are going on holiday from tomorrow and the cut-off of fulfilling orders has already passed, but I will do my best to get those pending orders out to all of you on time.

Make sure to choose "EMS" shipping as this is the only way I can ship on weekends when post offices are closed.

Thank you for your interest and feedback.

Regards

Dirk

PS: they don't fit the Canon, but the Bessa R series and apparently there is an adapter for Nikon D50/D70/D2X -- I have to find out how that is supposed to work.

Last edited by JapanExposures : 06-15-2006 at 18:29.

Old 06-16-2006   #15
PeterL
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaperls
The manufacturer of these is a one man operation in a small workshop outside of Tokyo.
That sure explains why the instruction sheet was hand-written ! They're charming, though, those small Japanese workshops.

Peter.

Old 06-18-2006   #16
edlaurpic

I just received the magnifier yesterday via EMS and had a few minutes to try it out. It is not quite as easy to use as the 1.25x magnifier that is made for the Leica, in that with the 1.35x for the R-d1 one has to first unscrew an existing "standard" eyepiece before you can screw in the 1.35. So one has to make sure not to lose the standard unit while using the 1.35x. I expect I will work out some sort of small box or little leather case with a little ziiplock or something to carry it in and then will put the standard eyepiece in there when using the 1.35. This isn't a big deal, but is worth mentioning. Adjusting the diopter takes a little playing around if you wear glasses and then there is a tendency to change the adjustment when you remove the eyepiece to put the standard eyepiece back on, which means when you use it again, one needs to readjust the diopter. Again, not a big deal, but this isn't a quick on/quick off kind of thing. However, once the unit is on and the diopter is adjusted to your vision with glasses on or off, the magnifier works perfectly. It is also very well made. I will post again after I have more time to use it, but I am very happy with the unit and with the service I received.

Old 06-18-2006   #17
Bob Parsons

I agree about the need for a small carrying case for the magnifier. I was going to suggest this to Dirk but he's now on holiday. I think an ideal case would have a compartment for the magnifier and a second smaller compartment for the eyepiece/diopter you remove. If it was built with slots so the strap could be threaded through one side that would be even better.

I've found I'm using the magnifier all the time with the 50mm Summicron and Noctilux and forget it's on the camera.

Bob.

Old 06-18-2006   #18
ezio gallino

So someone must state clearly: no compatibility between the magnifiers for Leica stuff and those forthe Epson RD's... different planets ... true?

Leica lover:: IIIg elmar 50/2,8 w Leicavit, M6 Wetzlar ... elmar asph 24/2.8 ... cron 35/2 asph.... apo asph 75/2... Nocti 1/1 and MP LHSA Hammertone, + CV12 ,orig. Pol., mag 1,25 and old Sony digital 2,1Mp for practical needs.

Last edited by ezio gallino : 06-18-2006 at 14:48.

Old 06-18-2006   #19
Ed Schwartzreic

I have ordered a magnifier which is due this week. I plan to email Luigi Crescenzi nd notify him of this item. Luigi made me a combination battery and SD card holder which rides on the R-D1's strap, and this would compliment it.

Ed

Old 06-18-2006   #20
jlw

I got a very prompt email from Dirk after ordering, saying he had gotten mine shipped, and I'm looking forward to receiving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Parsons
I think an ideal case would have a compartment for the magnifier and a second smaller compartment for the eyepiece/diopter you remove.
Better yet, I think, would be to have a female thread on the "eye" end of the magnifier, so you could screw the removed camera eyepiece into it. This would provide a place to store the eyepiece and also would make use of the eyepiece's rubber rim to protect eyeglasses. Of course, I'm saying this having without having seen the magnifier yet, but it seems like a logical improvement...

Old 06-20-2006   #21
Imrulqays

Great service, I've received the magnifier only three days after my order.
Whereas a Nocti was extremely difficult to focus, with the magnifier it becomes very easy.
Definitely to be recommended.
Dirk Van der Herten.

Old 06-20-2006   #22
fgianni
Trainee Amateur

Just ordered one!

Francesco (Ian) Gianni
E-MAIL:[email protected]

My Gallery (sort of)

Old 06-20-2006   #23
furcafe

I also had a great experience w/Megaperls & the magnifier. Shipping took longer than 3 days (was over a weekend), but no big deal.

Per Bob Parsons's post, the main downside of the magnifier for me is its lack of a rubber ring to prevent scratching my glasses. Speaking of which, does anyone sell a replacement eyepiece ring for the R-D1/Bessa's? Occurred to me that I could easily lose the ring if I were to remove it to install the magnifier in the field while shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrulqays
Great service, I've received the magnifier only three days after my order.
Whereas a Nocti was extremely difficult to focus, with the magnifier it becomes very easy.
Definitely to be recommended.
Dirk Van der Herten.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 06-20-2006   #24
anglophone1
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe
Occurred to me that I could easily lose the ring if I were to remove it to install the magnifier in the field while shooting.
I've lost THREE of these from 2 R D1s and an R2a.
You can get reaplacement from Robert White[listed as voigtlander replacement GBP 10 +vat] or B&H[listed as Nikon Finder Eyepiece for FM, FE & FA Series Cameras (Replacement) Mfr# 2925 • B&H# NIEPFM2 USD 16.95]

I've ordered four and am going to glue them in when they come!

Clive

Old 06-20-2006   #25
furcafe

Thanks for the information. If the eyepieces are coming unscrewed too easily, you might want to try using low-strength Loctite or a similar product (not as permanent as glue).

Quote:
I've lost THREE of these from 2 R D1s and an R2a.
You can get reaplacement from Robert White[listed as voigtlander replacement GBP 10 +vat] or B&H[listed as Nikon Finder Eyepiece for FM, FE & FA Series Cameras (Replacement) Mfr# 2925 • B&H# NIEPFM2 USD 16.95]

I've ordered four and am going to glue them in when they come!

Clive
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 07-03-2006   #26
pfogle

For storage of my diopter lens for the R-D1 eyepiece, I use a CF card case, which I then keep in the camera bag with the other cards. Haven't lost one yet (touch wood)

My Gallery

Old 07-03-2006   #27
JeffGreene
(@)^(@)

I hope this isn't a foolish question, but it probably is. Could someone explain the benefits of the magnifier over let's say a Voightlander replacement diopter lens. It sounds as though it would not be very beneficial to someone like me who mostly uses a 28mm lens.

Respectfully,

http://e-photobooks.com/cartier-bres...ve-moment.html

(Sony RX1) (Epson RD1) (Leica M6, M4-P, M2) (Rolleiflex 2.8F, MX-EVS)

Old 07-03-2006   #28
pfogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGreene
I hope this isn't a foolish question, but it probably is. Could someone explain the benefits of the magnifier over let's say a Voightlander replacement diopter lens. It sounds as though it would not be very beneficial to someone like me who mostly uses a 28mm lens.

Respectfully,
Hi Jeff... the magnifier does not change the focus distance for the eye - ie if you're short sighted you will still be short sighted with the magnifier. It just makes the viewfinder image larger, so it's easier to see when it's in focus.

On the other hand, a diopter lens changes the focal length of the eyepiece to suit your vision (in other words, to replace your specs!) but does not change the size of the viewfinder image.

The magnifier is only going to be useful for the longer lenses, where the framelines are small, or to make the rangefinder patch easier to see. It would be exactly the wrong thing to use for the 28mm, as the framelines will end up even more difficult to see than they already are.

cheers
Phil

My Gallery

Old 07-03-2006   #29
JeffGreene
(@)^(@)

Thanks, Phil! Then it would be useful with my Nikkor 85 f2.

http://e-photobooks.com/cartier-bres...ve-moment.html

(Sony RX1) (Epson RD1) (Leica M6, M4-P, M2) (Rolleiflex 2.8F, MX-EVS)

Old 07-03-2006   #30
nf3996

I guess there's not a 0.xx de-magnifier avavilable too (I see Megaperls do a 0.85 de-magnifier for Leica M bodies)? I wear glasses and the 28mm frameline on my R-D1 is unusable. If a de-magnifier were available, I'd buy one immediately.

Old 07-06-2006   #31
jimbobuk

This may be a stupid question, but can we just multiply the calculated base length of the R-D1 by this magnifier scale to get the new equivelant base length?

Mine came today.. not got the camera to test with right now but will do later.

If the above question is right what lenses does this magnifier bring into the R-D1s capabilities by base length, obviously it will help other lenses over not being magnified but it'd be nice to know if say a nokton 1.4 40mm becomes completely within the specs of the R-D1 (not sure if it isn't already but you get the idea.. what about the nokton 1,2 35mm perhaps instead)

Cheers

Old 07-06-2006   #32
jimbobuk

Oh and as you can see in the manual scanned earlier in the article and on the box of the lens when it arrives it says

MAG x1.3N

the website where you buy it calls it 1.35x magnifier ... does the N represent 0.5 ? Obviously when calculating the base length it'd be good to know if its 1.3 or 1.35x

Old 07-06-2006   #33
jimbobuk

does it represent 0.05 even.. DOH!!

Old 07-06-2006   #34
Bob Parsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf3996
I guess there's not a 0.xx de-magnifier avavilable too (I see Megaperls do a 0.85 de-magnifier for Leica M bodies)? I wear glasses and the 28mm frameline on my R-D1 is unusable. If a de-magnifier were available, I'd buy one immediately.
I'd also buy a demagnifier immediately. Even a 1:1 version. Since the distance between the lenses is adjustable it allows you to use the device like a variable diopter correction lens. I find that feature very useful when taking close-ups.

The magnification/demagnification factor is given by the ratio of the focal lengths of the positive and negative lenses, it's a Galilean type telescope. I've been looking for alternative lenses so as to be able to make a demagnifier from one. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult for Megapearls supplier to do this.

You multiply the rangefinder base length by the magnification factor to get the effective base length.

Bob.

Old 07-06-2006   #35
jimbobuk

Looking through the lens not on the camera the wrong way shrinks the image.. can't you just swop the lenses around to achieve this demagnifier effect?

I guess i'll need to email the guy to ask if it is 0.3x or 0.35x .. that 0.05 matters

Anyone managed to fit a protective jacket around the eye side of the lens so your glasses dont get scratched?

Hoping i can get the dioptre adjustment working so i wont need them.. contact lenses will be happening soon i think

Old 07-06-2006   #36
jlw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf3996
I think the problem with making this would be that not only would the view have to be "de-magnified," but the angle of view would have to be made wider than that of the unaided eye, in order to make the 28mm lines more visible. I'm not sure it would be physically possible to get the optics close enough to the eyepiece lens to make that work.

However, since viewing through the magnifier backwards should result in an 0.76x de-magnifier, I think I'll try holding it up against the eyepiece backwards and see what happens.

Old 07-06-2006   #37
Peter Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw
However, since viewing through the magnifier backwards should result in an 0.76x de-magnifier, I think I'll try holding it up against the eyepiece backwards and see what happens.
I tried this with the Leica 1.25x magnifier. Backwards, it does indeed shrink the image. I didn't check the angle of view with glasses. The rear lens is quite steeply curved, and sticks out a bit, and I was afraid of scratching it with my glasses.

--Peter

Old 07-07-2006   #38
JapanExposures
-

Hello, the correct designation should be 1.3N as you say, without the 5. It was a typo as I copied the specs of the Leica 1.35 magnifier.

I talked to the manufacturer and confirmed that there will not be a minifier equivalent, like he has for the Leicas. Sorry.

Dirk

Old 07-19-2007   #39
CTichatschke

Hi,

Can anybody tell me if this magnifier screws into 19mm thread viewfinders?

Thanks a lot,
Christian

Old 07-07-2008   #40
ljsegil

New life for an old thread, I guess.
Does anybody know if the MS-MAG x1.3N sold by megaperls can fit the Zeiss ZI rangefinder camera? Do all rangefinder cameras have an appropriately sized eyepiece to use with this eyepiece magnifier (i.e. Voigtlander Bessas, classic Nikon or Contax)?
Thanks,
LJS