Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Russian 135mm
Old 05-24-2006   #1
wamjam

Russian 135mm

i know about jupiter 11, but are there any other good russian 135mm lenses?

Old 05-24-2006   #2
physiognomy
Confirmed RF addict...

In LTM? Not that I know of... There are some Japanese brands that you might look for... The Kyoei Super Acall 135mm f/3.5 is a nice lens... I picked mine up from ebay for under $40.

Cheers!

Peter

1938 - Contax II
1954 - Kiev II
1956 - Kiev 2a
1957 - Kiev 3a
1963 - Kiev 4

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Old 05-24-2006   #3
Bill58
Native Texan

I think the best buy in a 135 LTM is the late/ black Canon--most of the time under $150.

Old 05-24-2006   #4
ZorkiKat
ЗоркийКат:Sharpeyed Kitty

Wam,

The J-11 is the only 135mm Russian lens for LTM rangefinders. Its good. Its moderate aperture and less complicated camming makes it relatively more free from the bugs which plague the J-9.

Jay

FED & ZORKII SURVIVAL SITE

Old 05-25-2006   #5
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Having just gotten one, I'd have to agree with Bill58 that a Canon 135/3.5 is the best bang for the buck out there. It is a delightful lens to use. A good Jupiter-11 is nice, as are many of the other makes out there, but the Canon lens is just so much better.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 05-25-2006   #6
wamjam

thanks everyone. wil browse ebay now.

Canon 135 LTM will have mounting issues with FED and Zorki
Old 05-26-2006   #7
ZorkiKat

Canon 135 LTM will have mounting issues with FED and Zorki

Wam

If you plan to use the 135mm lens on your FED-2, don't just get the Canon yet. The longer Canon LTM lenses (85/100/135) I have and had all used a narrow tongue coupler which can catch with the wedge-shaped RF sensor found in FED and Zorki cameras. Soviet LTM lenses use a "full barrel" rf cam coupler which isn't as sensitive to exact lens positioning when the lens is mounted.

See bottom of this page http://www.jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page400.htm for a picture comparing Canon LTM couplers with the ones found on soviet and Leitz LTM lenses.

A Canon lens (even the Leitz Hektor uses a similar coupler) requires that the lens must park exactly so that its narrow tongue coupler will coincide with the camera's RF sensor. No problems when Canon or Leica cameras are concerned since these had good qc with the mounts. Russian and Ukrainian mounts on the other hand often don't have standard entry and stop points so that one lens will often mount with different orientations when put on several FED or Zorki cameras.

Old 05-26-2006   #8
Kim Coxon

Hi,
Clarence is selling his J11

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...duct=178&cat=2

Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamjam
thanks everyone. wil browse ebay now.

Old 05-26-2006   #9
clarence
ダメ

Thanks, Kim. It's not a Canon, but at least it works!

Clarence

Old 05-26-2006   #10
doubs43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorkiKat
A Canon lens (even the Leitz Hektor uses a similar coupler) requires that the lens must park exactly so that its narrow tongue coupler will coincide with the camera's RF sensor. No problems when Canon or Leica cameras are concerned since these had good qc with the mounts. Russian and Ukrainian mounts on the other hand often don't have standard entry and stop points so that one lens will often mount with different orientations when put on several FED or Zorki cameras.
DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT try to mount a Hektor or Canon or Serenar or wide angle Elmar or Summaron lens on an FSU camera that has a tear-drop coupling. They WILL bind up or refuse to seat properly and can alter the angle of the tear-drop coupling which ruins the RF accuracy. Why the Russians adopted the tear-drop coupling is a mystery but it's not compatable with most Leitz lenses.

Someone may come along and tell you that THEY have done it without a problem and if so, they've been awfully lucky. The tang of the Hektor and Canon and Nikkor tele lenses will not override the tear-drop coupler. The notch in the Elmar and Summaron mounts will catch on the tear-drop. They just weren't designed to work together.

Walker

Old 05-26-2006   #11
SteveM(PA)
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43
DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT try to mount a Hektor or Canon or Serenar or wide angle Elmar or Summaron lens on an FSU camera that has a tear-drop coupling. They WILL bind up or refuse to seat properly and can alter the angle of the tear-drop coupling which ruins the RF accuracy. Why the Russians adopted the tear-drop coupling is a mystery but it's not compatable with most Leitz lenses.

Someone may come along and tell you that THEY have done it without a problem and if so, they've been awfully lucky. The tang of the Hektor and Canon and Nikkor tele lenses will not override the tear-drop coupler. The notch in the Elmar and Summaron mounts will catch on the tear-drop. They just weren't designed to work together.

Walker
I will confirm that this is the case. My Canon 135 3.5 will not mount on my Fed 3b or Zorki 4k, much to my dismay, no matter what focal length it is set to.
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 05-27-2006   #12
Kragmeister
Greg Urban

Also don't try to mount a Super Acall 135mm lens on a FSU camera. I got one for under $40 with a finder and it fits and works great on a Bessa R. I tried to put it on a FED 3 and it won't go because it has the "tang" type coupler instead of a barrel type. Great lens but no bargain if all you've got is FSU LTM RFs.

Later,
Greg

http://www.users.fast.net/~kragmeister

Old 05-29-2006   #13
wamjam

thank you so much everyone for the help. will research on this further.

Old 05-30-2006   #14
wamjam

ok....i'm sure you'll find this question an easy one. though i'm already doing it since they fit (M39), is it safe to use INDUSTAR and JUPITER lenses on both my FED2 and LEICA M3?

Old 05-30-2006   #15
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Other than Leica Police who can come and arrest you for desecration, it should be fine

My Flickr

Old 05-30-2006   #16
AndersG

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43
Why the Russians adopted the tear-drop coupling is a mystery but it's not compatable with most Leitz lenses.
Well, that it is mechanically simpler and allows easy adjustment of the close range rangefinder focus without any rare special tools[1] could be some somewhat good reasons.

[1] Unlike e.g. the Canon 7 where some (for me) mysterious tool known by the enigmatic name TO6A-C151-747A/B is needed to adjust the close focus. Does anyone know where to find one? (My electric tape build up workaround sucks.. )

/Anders

Last edited by AndersG : 05-30-2006 at 00:56.

Old 05-30-2006   #17
zhang xk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorkiKat
Wam,

The J-11 is the only 135mm Russian lens for LTM rangefinders. Its good. Its moderate aperture and less complicated camming makes it relatively more free from the bugs which plague the J-9.

Jay
Hi Jay,

No, it is not good, but superb! There is a less common M42 Jupiter-11A made by KAZAN that focus down to less than 1 meter. It is razor sharp. It is better than the later MC Jupiter-37A 135/3.5.

Old 05-30-2006   #18
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by varjag
Other than Leica Police who can come and arrest you for desecration, it should be fine
Eugene not all the Leica users on the forum are nutters. I'm happy to use my J-8 and J-11 on my 0.85 mag M7, to which I think they are both particularly well suited. The J-11 is an extremely good lens BTW.

My RFF Gallery

Jupiter 11A quick test
Old 05-30-2006   #19
zhang xk

Jupiter 11A quick test

Here is a test shot with a Jupiter-11A. I shot a Chinese porcelain at about 1.5 meters. The J-11A fully captured the extremely fine patterns.

One image is a 100% crop of the lower right corner. This is only a mid-size Canon 300D file. See for yourself and make your own judgements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4084.JPG (159.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4084a.jpg (149.1 KB, 41 views)

Old 06-01-2006   #20
peter_n
~

And here is one from my J-11. Neopan 1600 I think.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17187_23.jpg (85.2 KB, 39 views)

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-01-2006   #21
ZorkiKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhang xk
Hi Jay,

No, it is not good, but superb! There is a less common M42 Jupiter-11A made by KAZAN that focus down to less than 1 meter. It is razor sharp. It is better than the later MC Jupiter-37A 135/3.5.
Hi comrade Zhang

Believe or not, I don't have any J-11. In fact, the only 135mm for RF I had (gone now) is a Canon 135 Serenar. Heavy and long. Never fit any of my FED or Zorki- not that I tried to use it, but found that out early when the only Soviet LTM I had was a FED-3. I don't really use anything longer than 100mm for rangefinder work so I didn't really had the urge to get any 135.

The J-11 is cheaper than the J-9 and is not as prone to the latter's bugs. But despite of this, I don't even have a single J-11, but I've got about 5 or 6 J-9's in LTM!

I should find one of those J-11 in M42. The J-37A is already an excellent lens. I like it better than the other (M42 or otherwise) 135mms I used in the past- including those made by Pentax, Pentacon, and even Nikon.

Comrade Wam:

Go ahead. The J-11 should go right on your M3. All my fine-working Soviet LTM has worked superbly on my M3.

Jay

Last edited by ZorkiKat : 06-01-2006 at 22:12.

Old 06-02-2006   #22
zhang xk

Hi Jay Tongzhi(comrade),

135mm is too long for a rangefinder camera, but a J-11 is a very compact lens for your Canon 300D. I have two M39 J-11s made by Kazan. Both are very sharp lenses, and they are not much bigger than a 50mm normal lens. But this J-11 only focus down to 1.4M. I feel both are slightly sharper than my J-37A 135/3.5. It is a very usefull 216mm F4 telephoto lens for a 300D.

Cheers,

Zhang