Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Research notes on new project
Old 06-16-2019   #1
bojanfurst
Registered User
 
bojanfurst's Avatar
 
bojanfurst is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 435
Research notes on new project

I have been thinking for a longtime now about a project I would like to do in an place where I grew up. It seems that I might be able to start working on it this November. I tend to massively over-research everything (well, I don't really believe there is such thing as over-research, but whatever). Because it's easier for me to think through writing and because I wanted and needed a place where I could keep all that material handy, I started this series of stories on Medium.

Here is the first one - just an intro.

And the second one on Place and Stimmung.

I thought it might be interesting to some of you and, the way I work, who knows where it's going to go. There is, for sure, going o be a lot of photography.

If you are so inclined, follow along and if you feel like commenting and pointing me in the directions I missed, that would be amazing...

Cheers

Bojan
__________________
--------------------------
Fürst
Flickr
Instagram
twitter
Web
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019   #2
lynnb
Registered User
 
lynnb's Avatar
 
lynnb is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,440
Fascinating project Bojan. I have some thoughts about the history/stories of rivers, and seeking out evidence that will visually tell those stories, but I suspect you will already be well ahead of me.

I like Robert Adams' work on man's impact on and interaction with the landscape.
__________________
Lynn
happiest when shooting 35mm and 120 film
RFF Gallery
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019   #3
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 872
Resonates with me. Rivers have always had strong mood for me, and trying to capture that in photographs sure is a worthwhile project. I've never been certain how much of it is entirely subjective and what can be conveyed in a photo.
Another thing I find interesting to explore is how present a river is even when you can't see it, in geomorphology, farming practice, foods, building practice, micro-climate, wildlife...
The sad state of affairs is that here in Germany, although the general water quality is much better than up until the 80s, nearly all rivers are canalized and very far from natural condition. This was done in the interest of navigation, but now most shipping has moved to the road, which is much worse with regard to greenhouse gas emissions...
I wonder what motivates your use of German "Stimmung", I'm not aware of any meaning, usage or connotation it has that "mood" doesn't have, except if it's something to do with the etymology?
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019   #4
bojanfurst
Registered User
 
bojanfurst's Avatar
 
bojanfurst is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Fascinating project Bojan. I have some thoughts about the history/stories of rivers, and seeking out evidence that will visually tell those stories, but I suspect you will already be well ahead of me.

I like Robert Adams' work on man's impact on and interaction with the landscape.
Robert Adams' work is fascinating and it has grown on me over the years. In fact that happened with a few photogPlease feel free to share any and all ideas!

Bojan
__________________
--------------------------
Fürst
Flickr
Instagram
twitter
Web
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019   #5
bojanfurst
Registered User
 
bojanfurst's Avatar
 
bojanfurst is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Resonates with me. Rivers have always had strong mood for me, and trying to capture that in photographs sure is a worthwhile project. I've never been certain how much of it is entirely subjective and what can be conveyed in a photo.
Another thing I find interesting to explore is how present a river is even when you can't see it, in geomorphology, farming practice, foods, building practice, micro-climate, wildlife...
The sad state of affairs is that here in Germany, although the general water quality is much better than up until the 80s, nearly all rivers are canalized and very far from natural condition. This was done in the interest of navigation, but now most shipping has moved to the road, which is much worse with regard to greenhouse gas emissions...
I wonder what motivates your use of German "Stimmung", I'm not aware of any meaning, usage or connotation it has that "mood" doesn't have, except if it's something to do with the etymology?
My project is actually in Croatia so some of the issues are the same around canals and the water usage issues. I am thinking along those lines and still trying to figure out what this is going to look like. Thank you for bringing some of those issues up. As for Stimmung, it seems to me that is somehow more than just mood, but sort of an all encompassing sense of what the place feels like... my preference for the usage of it probably comes from the fact that we also use it in the part of Croatia I am from, but I suppose, mood works!
__________________
--------------------------
Fürst
Flickr
Instagram
twitter
Web
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019   #6
Jerevan
Recycled User
 
Jerevan's Avatar
 
Jerevan is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,120
It resonates with me too.

Within the word Stimmung is also a musical connotation, and to me relates to Stimme (voice) too - that is, activities that can have a human (or possibly animal if you will) element.

To me, slowly gathering ideas for a project to explore the surroundings, where I am in a sense, exiled - place is related to layers of interacting history - what once used to be and what I make of that.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019   #7
jamesmck
Registered User
 
jamesmck's Avatar
 
jamesmck is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 62
I am very impressed with your plans, your writing, and the work shown on your website and on Flickr. Well done!
__________________
James McKearney
Washington, DC
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019   #8
Jumillar
Never Settle
 
Jumillar's Avatar
 
Jumillar is offline
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 66
I have just read (and enjoyed) your research notes entitled Place and Stimmung. Looking forward to seeing more of your photographs and notes, please keep us updated to their availability.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019   #9
leicapixie
Registered User
 
leicapixie is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto.Canada
Posts: 1,585
I am so shocked at a place of learning, research and an icon would "censor" real life!
You now can correct most of that, maybe harder to reach Shetlands or Croatia..
I admire these images, really detailed.
From a selfish point of view can "see" that personally can do Iceland pix in NFLD.
Best part most speak English! Great people, knowing many.
I love water, coming from a city without a river, lake or body of natural water..
Living in Toronto has given me the water...
Best of luck in project, may your light be magic, your exposures true!

Last edited by leicapixie : 06-18-2019 at 04:13. Reason: spelling..
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019   #10
Dan Daniel
Registered User
 
Dan Daniel is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,544
Paul Strand did many projects where rivers or bodies of water were ever-present. Egypt and the Nile. Ghana and the Atlantic Ocean (Gulf of Guinea). Luzarra in Italy and the Po River, which over the centuries had shifted kilometers from the town but still lived on the edge of town as a ghost image. The Gaspé Peninsula. Hebrides in Scotland.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019   #11
bojanfurst
Registered User
 
bojanfurst's Avatar
 
bojanfurst is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
Paul Strand did many projects where rivers or bodies of water were ever-present. Egypt and the Nile. Ghana and the Atlantic Ocean (Gulf of Guinea). Luzarra in Italy and the Po River, which over the centuries had shifted kilometers from the town but still lived on the edge of town as a ghost image. The Gaspé Peninsula. Hebrides in Scotland.
Dan, thanks for the pointer. Paul Strand's book Tir A'Mhurain on the island of South Uist in Outer Hebrides has been an inspiration and one of my favourite photobooks of all time. I am now going to track down his rivers work. Thank you!
__________________
--------------------------
Fürst
Flickr
Instagram
twitter
Web
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019   #12
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light
 
helenhill's Avatar
 
helenhill is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 5,513
Wow how exciting

For a NYC gurl who longs to get off the grid of
modernity madness
Your project resonates a Peaceful endeavour
(Even with the restraints of photographing no people)

Nature Rules
moreso when we bow , surrender and care for it' s glories.

Enjoy the Journey !
__________________
Flickr.

________________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019   #13
bojanfurst
Registered User
 
bojanfurst's Avatar
 
bojanfurst is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 435
Here is new instalment in the research notes: https://medium.com/@bojanfuerst/reas...h-ac9d1f0cfb9b
__________________
--------------------------
Fürst
Flickr
Instagram
twitter
Web
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:51.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.