Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

New Peak Design Tripod
Old 05-22-2019   #1
marcr1230

New Peak Design Tripod

Anyone order this?

I keep seeing ads in social media - and I see they have gotten about
8,000 orders

Looks promising although not cheap - but does include a ball head

Hereís the link

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...by-peak-design

Whatís your take on it?

Old 05-22-2019   #2
B-9
Devin Bro

Looks pretty interesting.

Nice, they offer a universal head plate already.

Not something I would personally buy.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-22-2019   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Overpriced, and looks flimsy.

Old 05-22-2019   #4
B-9
Devin Bro

Chris, you can get the best tripod ever made new for only about 130$

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/81843...RoCfQsQAvD_BwE

Old 05-22-2019   #5
majid
Fazal Majid

Potentially interesting if I didn't already have a Gitzo Traveler, but the flip locks would have been a deal-killer in any case. Also parts of the ballhead are made of polycarbonate plastic, not metal.

Old 05-22-2019   #6
kknox

Lots of $$$. Don't know if i want to spend that much.

Old 05-22-2019   #7
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/81843...RoCfQsQAvD_BwE

Cool, I didn't know they were still made. Are they still American made like they used to be? If so, I'll buy one. If they've moved to China, I'll stick to my Manfrottos.

Old 05-22-2019   #8
B-9
Devin Bro

Made in China now based on the Leitz design.

Still very well made. It’s such a simple and robust design. Still all metal. The new ones have retracting spikes in the feet.. drool.

I would love to grab a new one someday! For now my worn out Leitz works fine.

Old 05-22-2019   #9
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:

Still very well made. Itís such a simple and robust design. Still all metal. The new ones have retracting spikes in the feet.. drool.

I would love to grab a new one someday! For now my worn out Leitz works fine.

OMG, its available in GOLD!

Old 05-22-2019   #10
B-9
Devin Bro

There’s a sweet custom one on google that’s Gold with Anodized Red twist locks and handles. A absolute MUST for any Leica toting Dentist with a knack for gold bracelets.

Old 05-22-2019   #11
stompyq

This tripod looks very interesting. Looking forward to seeing a head to head with the top of the line Gitzo's

Old 05-22-2019   #12
Steve M.

The Tiltall is a fine tripod. I've owned a few. They're also not a tripod that you want to carry around much, if any. This new one looks MUCH nicer! Love the design and engineering. Of course I would never buy one, and have to wonder how many people would. Might be a market for it though. Just the thing to put your phone on.

As usual, Freestyle has much better prices (and far better service) than the New York gear sellers. No gold tripods though, which is probably just as well.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/81843...y-Head-(Silver)

Old 05-22-2019   #13
splitimageview

This looks like a winner. It’s about time someone dove into a modern redesign, and the number of backers is impressive

Old 05-22-2019   #14
phaedrus

They developed it AGAINST having big cross sections. You can't recover from that with material stiffness. It's gonna be a crutch, no pun intended.

Old 05-22-2019   #15
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
The Tiltall is a fine tripod. I've owned a few. They're also not a tripod that you want to carry around much, if any. This new one looks MUCH nicer! Love the design and engineering. Of course I would never buy one, and have to wonder how many people would. Might be a market for it though.
Since launching on Monday, their Kickstarter has 8,276 backers, to the tune of $3.6M.

flickr

Old 05-22-2019   #16
Benjamin Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
They developed it AGAINST having big cross sections. You can't recover from that with material stiffness. It's gonna be a crutch, no pun intended.
Also, although I understand this is a "travel" tripod, it seems most people will have to extend the center column to get good height so they aren't bending down too much. This will further jeopardize its stiffness.

Old 05-22-2019   #17
aizan

I'm tempted, but I agree that it's a little bit too short for comfort. And I'm only 5'8".

Max height is 51 1/4" without extending the center column, 60" fully extended. The center column looks very skinny, and neither DPReview nor any of the YouTubers have commented on its stability.

I'll hold out for the XL version in aluminum.

Old 05-23-2019   #18
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

The golden standard for tripods is width and weight. Just plain ol' physics. It has always been that way and will always be that way.

I love the opening shot of the guy with the 4x5 on it. You could breath on that setup and it would wobble all over the place. I think people that are buying it are assuming that they can use it with big cameras from the video, but when they get it there is going to be a bit of a backlash.

Old 05-23-2019   #19
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I like the design. If it's as stable as my Manfrotto CF190Pro3, it's more than enough for my needs. It has to be as good as my Sirui T025x and it's barely larger than that ... and I've even held a Hasselblad on that without any problems, but it's clumsy and slow to use in the field.

I'll go for it, and add the universal head mount. In my view, $500 for a tripod that weighs under 3 lbs with a head and fits in my large sling bag or travel rollaway, at the expected quality level that Peak Design products have amply demonstrated so far, is quite reasonable. (My aforementioned Manfrotto with A-S P0 Hybrid head is about a $1200 tripod... and it weighs 4lbs and only collapses down to 29" by 4.5" diameter.)

I'll add it to the growing forest of camera and light supports in the closet and see how often it gets out ... that's the bottom line.

G

"My sharpest lens is a sturdy tripod."

Old 05-23-2019   #20
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
The golden standard for tripods is width and weight. Just plain ol' physics. It has always been that way and will always be that way.
So how can carbon fibre tripods any good? Not saying they are since I've never owned one.

Old 05-23-2019   #21
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
So how can carbon fibre tripods any good? Not saying they are since I've never owned one.
What does carbon fiber have to do with width and height?

Old 05-23-2019   #22
chipgreenberg

I dunno. I've been eyeing this. Well established and less money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pd_rd_wg=Wtq38

Old 05-23-2019   #23
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
What does carbon fiber have to do with width and height?
Nothing but it has a lot to do with 'width and weight'.

Old 05-23-2019   #24
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
The Tiltall is a fine tripod. I've owned a few. They're also not a tripod that you want to carry around much, if any. This new one looks MUCH nicer! Love the design and engineering. Of course I would never buy one, and have to wonder how many people would. Might be a market for it though. Just the thing to put your phone on.

As usual, Freestyle has much better prices (and far better service) than the New York gear sellers. No gold tripods though, which is probably just as well.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/81843...y-Head-(Silver)
Freestyle has the gold tripod, at no extra cost:
https://www.freestylephoto.biz/81843...Way-Head-(Gold)

flickr

Old 05-23-2019   #25
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgreenberg View Post
I dunno. I've been eyeing this. Well established and less money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pd_rd_wg=Wtq38
That LeoFoto LS-284C (or the legs anyway) is pretty well rated on The Center Column's travel tripod comparison, especially for the price. Much more objective testing than most reviewers:
https://thecentercolumn.com/rankings...ipod-rankings/

flickr

Old 05-23-2019   #26
chipgreenberg

Yup..that's where I learned about it.

Meanwhile right now its more want than need. I have a piece of [email protected] Cullman. But I shoot a TLR. Normal lends. Light camera. No vibration. Don't raise the center column really due to the WLF. So my pictures are sharp.

Yes and yes
Old 05-23-2019   #27
Tim Murphy

Yes and yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Overpriced, and looks flimsy.

Dear Chris,

5 leg sections that are wider than normal to catch the wind is a recipe for disaster to me. The bottom leg sections look like drinking straws.

$ 500.00 is a lot of money even if you have that interesting integral ball head. With a maximum height of 60 inches fully extended it is way too short for me since I'm 6 ' 5".

I use a tripod for telephoto work with both a gimbal and a ball head. I have two Benro tripods that are 3 section that reach to 65 inches with no leg extension. One is aluminum and weighs 6 pounds which Ill admit is heavy. The other is carbon fiber with a center post that articulates, it weighs 4 pounds.

With a gimbal head attached they hold a gripped 7D or IDMK3 with a 150-600mm at comfortable eye level for me. Someone shorter could retract the lower leg sections and further strengthen the support of the tripod. Both were bought new with a Desmond 44mm ball head that could support a rotating .50 cal machine gun. I don't have $ 400.00 in everything and all were purchased brand new with warranty cards.

To me these tripods are a solution in search of a problem. There are literally dozens of used tripods for sale on photography message boards for less money and with much better performance abilities.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 05-23-2019   #28
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murphy View Post
Dear Chris,

5 leg sections that are wider than normal to catch the wind is a recipe for disaster to me. The bottom leg sections look like drinking straws.

$ 500.00 is a lot of money even if you have that interesting integral ball head. With a maximum height of 60 inches fully extended it is way too short for me since I'm 6 ' 5".

I use a tripod for telephoto work with both a gimbal and a ball head. I have two Benro tripods that are 3 section that reach to 65 inches with no leg extension. One is aluminum and weighs 6 pounds which Ill admit is heavy. The other is carbon fiber with a center post that articulates, it weighs 4 pounds.

With a gimbal head attached they hold a gripped 7D or IDMK3 with a 150-600mm at comfortable eye level for me. Someone shorter could retract the lower leg sections and further strengthen the support of the tripod. Both were bought new with a Desmond 44mm ball head that could support a rotating .50 cal machine gun. I don't have $ 400.00 in everything and all were purchased brand new with warranty cards.

To me these tripods are a solution in search of a problem. There are literally dozens of used tripods for sale on photography message boards for less money and with much better performance abilities.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA

I agree. My son and I have two Manfrotto tripods. Both are the same model, 3011, which is a medium-weight aluminum tripod.

I have two Manfrotto pan-tilt heads; the heavy duty 3047, which I used with medium format film cameras; and a lighter one that I use for 35mm film and Micro four Thirds digital.

I also have a heavy duty Slik ballhead, which I bought on sale new for $35 at a camera store in Indianapolis. It was on clearance, discontinued, and being sold cheap; regular price was $200!

Finally, I recently bought the new Benro geared head. I had wanted a geared head for a long time, but the only reasonably priced one on the market was the Manfrotto 410, and it has a reputation for wearing out after a few years of use. The Benro is cheaper, much lighter (made of magnesium instead of aluminum), uses Arca-Swiss quick release plates, and looks to be better made. It is what I use most of the time now.

My oldest tripod gear, one of the 3011 legs and the 3047 head, were bought new when I was 15 years old. I have had them 27 years and they still work flawlessly!

I have bought all of my Tripods and heads new and I think in total I have spent about $500

Old 05-23-2019   #29
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Nothing but it has a lot to do with 'width and weight'.
LOL! My mistake.

But I'll tell you that my Feisol CT3442 is massively more stable than my Manfrotto 3120, despite being 1/3 the weight.

G

Old 05-23-2019   #30
Dan Daniel

Quote:

Actually, it wasn't a Leitz design. Well, legally it was because Leitz bought the design for the Marchioni Brothersin New Jersey.

"Early in 1973, Gene Anderegg, from E. Leitz, Inc., in Rockleigh, New Jersey, who had known of the Tiltall for many years, contacted the Marchionis to discuss a possible affiliation. Leitz had an enviable reputation in the scientific world as the builder of the highest quality microscopes, and in the photographic world, as the creator of the famous Leica 35mm system of photography."

https://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com/...l-support.html

My first Tiltall was a Marchioni version. Still works well.

Old 05-27-2019   #31
majid
Fazal Majid

I got to see the PD tripod in their San Francisco store. It's better than I expected. I loathe twist locks, but these are not too bad, because their length gives more leverage than the obnoxious Manfrotto ones.

Extending the last section makes the tripod wobbly, as could be expected, but that was also true of my first-generation Gitzo Traveler. Without the last section, it's reasonably stable.

The ballhead is fiddly and non-removable. It's fiddly and not very ergonomic to use.

Old 06-08-2019   #32
peter_n
~

I have used just three travel tripods; a Gitzo 1541T, Benro C2680T and Leofoto LS-284C which I bought in January, 2018. The Benro was a better tripod than the 1541T. I got 8 years of reliable and trouble-free service from it but replaced it with the Leofoto. After a year of use it was clear the Leofoto was just a better tripod than the Benro; higher quality carbon fiber, CNC-machined 6061/7075 aluminum and stainless steel hardware, no center column, folded shorter than the Benro, and fully extended is just an inch shorter than my RRS TVC-24. The Leofoto is a copy of the RRS TFC-14; look at Dave Berryrieser's travel tripod stability rankings and note the manufacturers of the three tripods that beat the Leofoto (and their prices).

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-15-2019   #33
jkcampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
That LeoFoto LS-284C (or the legs anyway) is pretty well rated on The Center Column's travel tripod comparison, especially for the price. Much more objective testing than most reviewers:
https://thecentercolumn.com/rankings...ipod-rankings/
I have a large RRS tripod that I use for medium and large format but bought the Leofoto LS-284C for when I need to travel light. Now it's my most used tripod. Amazing quality and price for a carbon fiber tripod. Cheers, jc

Old 06-15-2019   #34
Out to Lunch

No more crowdfunding for me. I'll buy one when it is available in a store.

Not a Tiltall please.
Old 06-15-2019   #35
randy stewart

Not a Tiltall please.

The reference is to the classic Tiltall tripod. Although it is a great regular use tripod, I disagree where it is used in the great out-of-doors. A fellow participant used a Tiltall at a workshop in the sandy SW, around Page, Arizona. Lots of dust and sand. The Tiltall proved completely vulnerable to such abrasives. Over the course of four days of casual use, it was destroyed - rendered non-function. While it costs 40% of a modern travel tripod, its weighs three times as much, is twice or more as large, and it will fail unless fully disassembled and cleaned every day.