Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

You ever found a time capsule?
Old 05-04-2019   #1
Huss

You ever found a time capsule?

NewOldStock camera,.

Just picked up this Nikon ActionTouch, brand new in box. I already have one, so know how good it is. The 35mm 2.8 lens is a cracker, AF with focus distance indicator in the VF. And a flash you can turn on and off whenever you want by flicking a switch.
It has several advantages of the standard (and excellent because of that lens) L35AF:
1. The flash. On the L35 I don't think you can force it on unless the camera lets you.
2. The build - this thing is solid as it is waterproof down to 10 meters (?)
3. Quiet - because of the heavy build and seals, it is much quieter than the L35AF.

Pics:

Old 05-04-2019   #2
Swift1

Nice find Huss!

I once found a new in box Minolta AF101R at the thrift store for $1.99. Not as good a camera as your Nikon, but still fun.

When I bought my Zorki 4 back in 2013 I don't think it had ever had film through it. I'm only guessing that and can't be certain, but I couldn't find a single mark on the camera. I had read that it was wise to avoid Soviet cameras that look pristine, but I took a chance and bought mine and it works flawlessly other than a very minor intermittent light leak.

Here's a photo I took shortly after first getting it

Zorki 4 (Early Type) w/ Jupiter-8 50/2 by Colton Allen, on Flickr

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 05-04-2019   #3
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Nice find Huss!

I once found a new in box Minolta AF101R at the thrift store for $1.99. Not as good a camera as your Nikon, but still fun.

When I bought my Zorki 4 back in 2013 I don't think it had ever had film through it. I'm only guessing that and can't be certain, but I couldn't find a single mark on the camera. I had read that it was wise to avoid Soviet cameras that look pristine, but I took a chance and bought mine and it works flawlessly other than a very minor intermittent light leak.

Here's a photo I took shortly after first getting it
Zorki 4 (Early Type) w/ Jupiter-8 50/2 by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Nice! I prefer getting a pristine one and fixing it (if needed) then buying a beater that I then find also needs fixin!

Old 05-04-2019   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I prefer user which was already taken care of.
Yet, strangely, I prefer new lenses with warranty. Then possible.

Old 05-04-2019   #5
aizan

Nice find! Where from?

The two time traveling cameras I've found are a brand new Minolta Instant Pro and one of my Pentax SL's. And a new hood for my Nikkor-S 5cm f/1.4 LTM.

Old 05-04-2019   #6
skucera

The only "time capsule" I have like that is a Kodak Pocket Instamatic 10 in its original box, except for the original roll of film. The family story is that a single roll of film was put through the camera, the results were disappointing so the camera was put back in its new box and it was put up in a closet for 45 years. It seems like a common train of events, given how many of these little cameras seem to turn up in their original boxes.

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 05-04-2019   #7
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

On the flea market I found an Olympus Pen EE-2 that was used, but it had the original pouch, lens hood, original neck strap and booklet.

It came with the receipt from the purchase on December 31st 1977, in the shopping mall in my home town where I used to accompany my dad to get groceries in the weekends.
I was 6 years old in 1977.

I had to have it for the measly EUR 10 that the first owner was asking.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 05-05-2019   #8
ASA 32

A little different take on the idea.... my sister died this past summer, and unknown to me, she had collected our father’s negatives and slides, dating back to the late 1930s and up through the 1960s. I’ve been going them and cleaning, scanning and printing my favorites. What a treasured legacy!

_190428_1409_001-2.jpg by ASA 32, on Flickr

Yes, this boy has two black eyes.

Old 05-05-2019   #9
JoeLopez

What a great find! Best I've come across was a free mint silver Nikon FE with a 50mm f1.8 pancake during a garage sale.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90 & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 05-05-2019   #10
Peter Wijninga

A boxed new old stock Leica M6 TTL Millennium Black Paint TTL. I found it eight years ago.

Old 05-05-2019   #11
Wouter2

Several as I scan the brazilian ebay on a daily basis. Some examples:

Canon 7s with 0.95/50 dream lens for 80 dollars.
Leica M3 with summilux 50mm - 150 dollars.
Rolleiflex 2.8F Planar mint - 150 dollars.
I'm currently holding on to a stellar Norita 66 with 3 lenses, mint. How much better can it get?

Old 05-05-2019   #12
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA 32 View Post
A little different take on the idea.... my sister died this past summer, and unknown to me, she had collected our father’s negatives and slides, dating back to the late 1930s and up through the 1960s. I’ve been going them and cleaning, scanning and printing my favorites. What a treasured legacy!

_190428_1409_001-2.jpg by ASA 32, on Flickr

Yes, this boy has two black eyes.
Sorry about the passing of your sister.

What a fantastic time capsule!

Old 05-05-2019   #13
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter2 View Post
Several as I scan the brazilian ebay on a daily basis. Some examples:

Canon 7s with 0.95/50 dream lens for 80 dollars.
Leica M3 with summilux 50mm - 150 dollars.
Rolleiflex 2.8F Planar mint - 150 dollars.
I'm currently holding on to a stellar Norita 66 with 3 lenses, mint. How much better can it get?
Score!

I'm looking for a NOS Minolta AF-C. The only one I can find seems to be a refurbished return (as it has an R on the top) for $220.
If you happen to come across one in Brazil perhaps you can send me the link and/or I'd be happy to pay a finder's fee..

Old 05-05-2019   #14
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
A boxed new old stock Leica M6 TTL Millennium Black Paint TTL. I found it eight years ago.
Wow. Was it priced well or at Leica expected level?

Old 05-07-2019   #15
Joao
Negativistic forever

The AGFA OPTIMA 335 SENSOR electronic was made in Germany in 1978. It has a Agnatar f/3,5 lens and speeds from 1/30 to 1/300 sec. Fully automatic, distance in a scale from 0.9 mts to ∞.
This camera was bought in Portugal in September 1981 by my wife’s uncle. He never used it and kept it in its box (with strap and warranty certificate). After his death 15 years ago, we found the untouched camera among his belongings. So far it performs as well as expected : good exposures, sharp pictures, superb viewfinder – it is a small and nice scalefinder P&S.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-07-2019   #16
Takkun
Ian M.

Found (20 years ago):
A Canonet GIII that was still in the case with papers; clearly hadn't been touched since the 70s. Found at a favorite antique store around 2000. I was a middle schooler interested in photography, but was itching for an SLR and had no idea what I was looking at. Regretting that decision in hindsight, though it might have needed a lot of work.

Went back to the same antique store this weekend and found a Hi-Matic 9 priced at $25... If my phone wasn't dead, I'd have googled it and realized I found a gem, yet again. Strike two.

Found (last year/last week):
2x Contax NX and a whole kit of lenses all NIB at my local shop last summer. Story was, an older gentleman bought these new around 2003, then ended up going digital with Canon. He passed away and his family sold traded the unused kit in. Still there last time I was in.

Own:
A Canon 1014 XL-S with a lovely hard case. There's quite a strange story to this one, but I was gifted it by a past girlfriend's father, who'd inherited it from his father. He assumed it was a still camera. Still haven't shot with it yet.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog

Old 05-07-2019   #17
telenous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
NewOldStock camera,.

Just picked up this Nikon ActionTouch, brand new in box. I already have one, so know how good it is. The 35mm 2.8 lens is a cracker, AF with focus distance indicator in the VF. And a flash you can turn on and off whenever you want by flicking a switch.
It has several advantages of the standard (and excellent because of that lens) L35AF:
1. The flash. On the L35 I don't think you can force it on unless the camera lets you.
2. The build - this thing is solid as it is waterproof down to 10 meters (?)
3. Quiet - because of the heavy build and seals...
Great find. Another advantage over the various iterations of the L35AF is the distance preselector that allows for scale focusing in bright light.

flickr
instagram

Old 05-07-2019   #18
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
The AGFA OPTIMA 335 SENSOR electronic was made in Germany in 1978. It has a Agnatar f/3,5 lens and speeds from 1/30 to 1/300 sec. Fully automatic, distance in a scale from 0.9 mts to ∞.
This camera was bought in Portugal in September 1981 by my wife’s uncle. He never used it and kept it in its box (with strap and warranty certificate). After his death 15 years ago, we found the untouched camera among his belongings. So far it performs as well as expected : good exposures, sharp pictures, superb viewfinder – it is a small and nice scalefinder P&S.

[IMG][/IMG]

Very nice! I use the Optima 1535 which has a coupled RF, shutter speed range from 4 sec to 1/1000, and a 40mm 2.8 lens. I was considering the Rollei 35 but far prefer this.