Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

View Poll Results: What percentage of your film do you buy on line?
Most of it. 296 67.58%
Very little of it. 60 13.70%
A combination of online and conventional retail. 82 18.72%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2019   #161
Greg Maslak

Living in a small town in British Columbia, Canada, I buy all my film and chemicals from the websites of traditional camera stores in big cities across Canada. My two favourites are Camtec in Montreal and The Camera Store in Calgary (from YouTube fame). Of course I access the the pages from the internet. I really canít think of any traditional retailers in any business that donít have an online presence. Unless weíre talking about sellers that are exclusively online ala Amazon, I donít really understand the difference between online and traditional any more.

Old 04-17-2019   #162
shimokita
白黒

The only reason I purchase film online is because Kodak doesn't sell certain products in Japan (e.g. Gold 200)... buy from NY with delivery less than one week - Order to Door.

Old 04-17-2019   #163
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The next to last good camera shop near me closed a couple of years ago so I mostly buy film from online retailers now. I could still get it elsewhere, but why work so hard? Online retailers are the current mode of business for most goods, simply the way it is today.

G

Old 04-17-2019   #164
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I buy all my supplies online. I live in a small town in rural VT. I could drive to Burlington for a small number of my standard materials, but since 90% can only come in by carrier to the door I don’t bother.

Old 04-17-2019   #165
telenous

I can find most everything I need locally in one or other brick and mortar store, be it film or darkroom related . That's in Athens, Greece. I am told there are three E6 labs as well. Somewhat arcane stuff, on the other hand, has to imported. For example, you will not find anyone selling Rollei S80 film or palladium printing process materials. Overall, film does well here.

flickr
instagram

Old 04-17-2019   #166
CharlesDAMorgan

95% of my film and about 80% of my camera equipment purchases come from online. I'm lucky to have a good film camera store in Plymouth where I have bought film if I've run out plus the occasional camera and lens (plus bags and straps) but despite living a mere 30 minutes from London, it's cheaper and easier to order online. I actually get better rights to return goods if bought online - let alone Ebay return procedures - so it's hard to see any real benefit to bricks and mortar shopping apart from being able to handle the goods.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 04-18-2019   #167
seany65

I buy most of my film online, but if I had the choice, and the price and quantities were similar, I would be happy to buy more from a real shop.

I certainly would not let a lack of film online stop me buying film, even if I had to pay a little more for it.

Old 04-18-2019   #168
webOSUser

There are three good camera stores in the Raleigh NC area and I deal with all three.

Film and gear I get from all of them.

Some film and gear I get on line because the local stores don't carry it.

Steve W

Old 04-18-2019   #169
randy stewart

I have been buying my film and paper online for 20 years or more, here in the US. This partly because the only photo store in my community closed, and partly because they didn't carry the materials I wanted when they were open. Whatever hassle is involved ordering on the internet is nothing compared to traveling about 20 miles to a major city with a couple of camera stores and having to select from their very limited support for film photographers. For me, price has not often entered into the decisions. Today, Adorama for film; Freestyle for paper.

Old 04-18-2019   #170
Archiver

No thanks to Gerry Harvey, owner of the Harvey Norman retail chain and one of the strongest campaigners for lowering the GST threshold on imports, we now have to pay GST on anything imported to Australia, regardless of cost. This doesn't really help local retailers at all, it just adds money to government collections. I'll never buy at a Harvey Norman store again. Sod you, Gerry Harvey.

We can buy film from high priced retail shops, but there are a few places in Australia which offer lower priced film online. Walkens House Of Film is one of them, and while I've heard good reports, I haven't tried them yet.

The last time I bought film in a shop was a year or two ago, when I shot my last frames on one roll and found that I hadn't packed a spare. I bought two rolls of Fuji XTRA 400 for almost double what I would have paid at Walkens.

Before that, my last retail film haul was for a whole bunch of almost-expired Provia and Sensia, plus a couple of boxes of XTRA 400 and 800. They have been in the freezer since 2008, and I use a roll every now and again.

Old 04-24-2019   #171
Mooshoepork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
No thanks to Gerry Harvey, owner of the Harvey Norman retail chain and one of the strongest campaigners for lowering the GST threshold on imports, we now have to pay GST on anything imported to Australia, regardless of cost. This doesn't really help local retailers at all, it just adds money to government collections. I'll never buy at a Harvey Norman store again. Sod you, Gerry Harvey.

We can buy film from high priced retail shops, but there are a few places in Australia which offer lower priced film online. Walkens House Of Film is one of them, and while I've heard good reports, I haven't tried them yet.

The last time I bought film in a shop was a year or two ago, when I shot my last frames on one roll and found that I hadn't packed a spare. I bought two rolls of Fuji XTRA 400 for almost double what I would have paid at Walkens.

Before that, my last retail film haul was for a whole bunch of almost-expired Provia and Sensia, plus a couple of boxes of XTRA 400 and 800. They have been in the freezer since 2008, and I use a roll every now and again.
Full disclosure, I work in the industry.

If youíre buying film I would encourage you to use a store that isnít known for anti competitive practices.

There was some nastiness with the company in question allegedly parking domains for other stores and having them redirected in order to stamp out business.

I can vouch for Trevor at decisive moment. Nice guy, runs a tight ship and has lots of rare stuff too.

Old 04-24-2019   #172
citizen99

I can sometimes get 35mm film in the High Street e.g. Boots (UK) but mostly use 120 so that has to come by post.

Old 04-24-2019   #173
Lou Iaquinto
Tinshed

+ 1 for "I'll never buy at a Harvey Norman store again."

Thanks for the tip on Walkens Archiver,

Lou

Old 04-24-2019   #174
jawarden

100% of everything online.