Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: I mostly print my good photos...
Age <24 1 1.27%
Age <25Ė34 3 3.80%
Age <35Ė44 1 1.27%
Age <35Ė44 6 7.59%
Age <45Ė54 14 17.72%
Age <55Ė64 32 40.51%
Age >65 22 27.85%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2018   #41
Michael Markey

Don’t print vet often and when I do I get Ilford to do it
At my local camera club PDF are becoming more popular as the costs of printing increases and the viewing conditions vary so much
Prints are shuffled around the country to be judged in the various competition s and when they come back (if they come back) well you can imagine
The old guard still persists but the younger end think print an unnecessary expense and it doesn’t show their work to best advantage .

Old 07-16-2018   #42
KM-25

I don't print a lot of color for my self but for clients for sure. I farm it out though so I don't have to waste time doing the digital drudgery my self which to be honest, I find my good print resources will always outdo me and I don't have to deal with paper waste and ink issues.

Silver printing from film on the other hand, that is a real hand made article so I do it all my self.

Old 07-16-2018   #43
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM-25 View Post

Silver printing from film on the other hand, that is a real hand made article so I do it all my self.
KM,

I appreciate the craft and the hand made aspect of wet printing.

Plus-one.

Cal

Old 07-16-2018   #44
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Initially, I didn't print from digital. In my opinion, viewing photos on a nice, crisp, back-lit display is better experience than holding a 4x6" print. So, the display replaced my previous regular practice of 4x6 prints of everything.

But, larger prints are another story. For selected images, prints from digital are far better than what I got from 35mm film. Costco 20x30 inkjet prints are economical and consistent. I especially like prints on metal (Adorama, print on metal coated glossy white). And, for some images, canvas prints display very nicely. I'm making display prints 20x30 for the walls.

Big prints from digital is a whole new ball game.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 07-16-2018   #45
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
At this point in the poll, we have what you'd call a reliable predictor: the younger you are the less likely you are to print. Not good news for the printer and paper industries.

John
Wet printing seems to be a dying art.

Perhaps us old geezers that wet print or wet printed back in the day still have the romance that this is true photography, meaning not just image capture, but actually printing and creating an artifact (print). The only reason I don't wet print is that presently I don't have a darkroom. One day...

I'm not surprised by this poll's result. The Internet, a computer screen, or even my dimmed down EIZO calibrated monitor is not the best way to display my work. I can print what I can't see on my EIZO.

Cal

Old 07-16-2018   #46
KM-25

Quote:
At this point in the poll, we have what you'd call a reliable predictor: the younger you are the less likely you are to print. Not surprising, but not good news for the printer and paper industries.
I mentor some two dozen photographers age 18-23, all of them print, none of them post on forums so this is not at all an indicator of what is really going on in my experience.

On the other hand my wife who at 41 years old and is ten years my junior took it upon her self to borrow my FM3A and 50mm 1.8 AIS and load it with some color film from out of my freezer. She took it for a family gathering in California a couple months ago.

She loved getting and sharing prints so she now has taken permanent loan of it, I’m sure she would let me use it if I asked her…;-)

Old 07-16-2018   #47
RichC

Quote:
At this point in the poll, we have what you'd call a reliable predictor: the younger you are the less likely you are to print. Not surprising, but not good news for the printer and paper industries.
OP here...

Or it tells us that RFF members are mostly over 50!

What I should have done was set up the poll with 7 similar age options - but titled "I mostly don't print my good photos".

Unfortunately, without that second control group, the poll results aren't terribly helpful. All it tells us is that RFF members aged over 50 print - that may be because younger folk don't print but older people do, or perhaps most people print but RFF has very few young members!

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 07-17-2018   #48
JohnBeeching

To me the end point has always been to produce a tangible print of my photographs. That is as true today with digital as it has always been for film. There are some excellent papers available and an A2 print, black and white or colour, looks spectacular mounted and framed behind glass. Alternatively, I produce self-published photo-books, which are a good way to complete a project to give or sell.

If photographers don't print why do they spend such vast sums on expensive kit when a simple point and shoot or phone would be good enough for the computer screen?

Old 07-18-2018   #49
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I threw out my big Canon printer that took six ink cartridges when it started giving problems, and bought a little canon Pixma 100 to print out documents. I haven't tried printing photos with it yet, but I will eventually--I guess.

Old 07-18-2018   #50
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeeching View Post

If photographers don't print why do they spend such vast sums on expensive kit when a simple point and shoot or phone would be good enough for the computer screen?
Because high definition computer screens are seen as better than analog printing systems.

The argument goes that digital cameras have continued to improve in terms of resolution etc but analogue printing systems have been static.

Why buy a high resolution camera and loose it pushing the image through an inkjet when you can use a high res screen.

Thatís what they tell me .

Old 07-18-2018   #51
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Because high definition computer screens are seen as better than analog printing systems.

The argument goes that digital cameras have continued to improve in terms of resolution etc but analogue printing systems have been static.

Why buy a high resolution camera and loose it pushing the image through an inkjet when you can use a high res screen.

To be fair, monitor screens are increasing in resolution rapidly. 5K screens like Dellís 5120◊2880 pixel, 220 dpi, 27 in. monster need a 14.5 MB image to fill the screen. Thatís about the same resolution as a print, assuming a typical 200-300 dpi.

Itíll be a few years before 5K or 4K screens become the norm though...

-=Rich=-

Old 07-18-2018   #52
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post

I suspect "they" are wrong. "They" usually are.

But no matter. To each his own.

I highly recommend reading "The Printed Picture" by Richard Benson. A great history of how printing has evolved in methods over the ages.

Old 07-19-2018   #53
Michael Markey

Well , perhaps.
By they I mean the younger end of course
I find myself in a curious position on this one.
As an avid reader of books since a early age I have a house full of them and would never think of buying an electronic version .
However as far as photographic prints are concern , sure I have what I consider to be my best shots printed and stored in archival portfolio boxes but I never look at them. At least not often
I donít get the same pleasure out of a print as I do from a book and I canít explain that frankly
I prefer to view them on a screen and I certainly would clutter up a wall with them although I do have two hanging
Theyíre up there for mainly nostalgic reasons because the printing was organised by Stewart (Sparrow) late of this parish.

Old 07-19-2018   #54
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Yes, i print digital. Just picked up a box of Hahnemuhle Matt FineArt in the 310 textured German etching. Can't wait to print the first one over the week-end.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 07-19-2018   #55
NickTrop

Just scanned this responses to this thread -- aia (apologies in advance -- a new acronym I just invented) if it has been addressed. However, just because you don't print with an inkjet (and I will tell you, I truly have a love/hate relationship with this tech -- mostly hate) doesn't mean you don't "make prints" using a service. Prints, photo-books etc. Not sure of the costs/benefits of this but to my way of thinking, it's more efficient/cost effective insofar as a vendor likely has an industrial $xxx,xxx commercial printer that's obviously better than my dinky $xxx consumer-grade printer that's much better maintained... Seems to make more sense to rent that capability on an as-needed basis. I've used a few of these services over the years, have no preference, and have been satisfied with the results.

I go back-and-forth on this. I haven't used my Epson Artisan 1430 in a couple months. I am dreading that next print. I see clogged print heads and a gallon of expensive inks wasted in the "hope" of fixing the problem, followed by YouTube searches on how to fix the yet-to-be determined problem.

I trust we've been there?

Old 07-19-2018   #56
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
Just scanned this responses to this thread -- aia (apologies in advance -- a new acronym I just invented) if it has been addressed. However, just because you don't print with an inkjet (and I will tell you, I truly have a love/hate relationship with this tech -- mostly hate) doesn't mean you don't "make prints" using a service. Prints, photo-books etc. Not sure of the costs/benefits of this but to my way of thinking, it's more efficient/cost effective insofar as a vendor likely has an industrial $xxx,xxx commercial printer that's obviously better than my dinky $xxx consumer-grade printer that's much better maintained... Seems to make more sense to rent that capability on an as-needed basis.

I go back-and-forth on this. I haven't used my Epson Artisan 1430 in a couple months. I am dreading that next print. I see clogged print heads and a gallon of expensive inks wasted in the "hope" of fixing the problem.
Nick,

I understand where you are coming from.

I made the jump. My 3880 is my small printer, and at best I think it is kinda Pro-sumer and not on the level of the real "Pro" floor standing printers. I own a 7800 and I can't afford to run it year round. I use Piezoflush to place it into storage mode. The 3880 basically stays online all year.

Kinda hard to justify a big printer unless you print big. And if you don't print regularly we all know what happens...

Not many print because of either space or economic reasons. Printing is expensive, especially if one prints big.

Cal

Old 07-19-2018   #57
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
Just because you don't print with an inkjet ... doesn't mean you don't "make prints" using a service. Prints, photo-books etc. Not sure of the costs/benefits of this but to my way of thinking, it's more efficient/cost effective insofar as a vendor likely has an industrial $xxx,xxx commercial printer that's obviously better than my dinky $xxx consumer-grade printer that's much better maintained... Seems to make more sense to rent that capability on an as-needed basis.

I trust we've been there?
OP here ... I'm of the school that considers a photo only truly "done" when printed.

I only make inkjet prints as proofs or tests, using my trusty and reliable (touches wood) Epson R2880 that I've had for about a decade.

I prefer traditional silver-based colour prints (I don't do B&W): C types. Compared with inkjet prints, C types to my eye are slightly softer (details less crisp) but with gentler and greater tonality (esp. in shadows), and seem more natural (because the image is below the surface rather than sitting on the surface. You can "look into" a C type whereas you "look at" an inkjet - which has an abrupt cut off to vision rather than tailing away...

As Calzone says, large prints are expensive! But my inkjet printer is handy ... it's all well and good faffing on screen, but the acid test is looking at a physical print, and I'd rather waste a couple of pounds rather then tens of pounds getting a print professionally printed, then finding I don't like how it looks!

Interestingly, C type prints from professional agencies are way cheaper than inkjet prints! Which suits me fine, since I like the former best!

-=Rich=-

Old 09-10-2018   #58
Cyriljay

Well, That is my proof photo and I like to see how it comes out at last to correct more for the future.

Proof prints ..
Old 09-10-2018   #59
Cyriljay

Smile Proof prints ..

Well, That is my proof photo and I like to see how it comes out at last to correct more for the future.

Old 09-10-2018   #60
ptpdprinter

please delete - posted in wrong thread

Old 09-10-2018   #61
al1966
Feed Your Head

Print A4 a lot, most end up Blue Tacked to kitchen cupboards to get a feel of them. Some will end up framed and replace previous ones every so often. Then I give prints to other people as gifts. Then there are books, I think in books for a lot of series of work and look with groups how they will form into one.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-10-2018   #62
Takkun
Ian M.

Throwing myself out there as a data point, though I shoot film/digital equally, the former almost entirely through scanning+digital processing. I'm assuming the qualifier was to exclude wet-printing.

I'm also a millennial, which to many still means teenagers, but I'm around 30 (and looking at my profile here, realize I've been on RFF half my life)

I print a moderate amount of my digital and scanned work. Never at home though: a lot of it is compilation books through online services which have yielded results of varying qualities. Most of my personal work isn't the sort of thing you hang on the wall, but I much prefer the tangible quality of physical media. Added advantage is that you don't get hung up on technical qualities with small to medium prints, or in this case books.

Everything I've shown to the public has gone through a local lab (Panda Labs in Seattle). I've never had the patience or luck to print at home. Long ago, I did have an early PIXMA printer, but wasted too much time and paper to only get awful tonality, banding, or just dried up cartridges. Never worth it to me when people are paid to know how to work a printer.

That's probably sacrilege to outsource printing, especially to film people, but I'd rather spend more time shooting and editing than messing with color profiles and recalcitrant machinery. I at least get to select the paper base.

Closest I've done to my own printing is firing off a few huge posters on the large-format plotter in my architecture department—they're worked hard and rarely set up perfectly, but you can't beat $8 for a 3'x5' print for wall decoration.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 09-10-2018   #63
FujiLove

I print all the time, both wet and dry, colour and B&W. Without printing, you're only doing half the photographic process. And you would be missing the most creative half.

I'm a film only (+ iPhone) user, and have just started using an inkjet with roll paper again because I can't wet print my Xpan negatives big enough in the darkroom. Well, not without dismantling my enlarger, projecting onto the floor, processing in troughs etc. And I don't really have enough room in there for that. So inkjet it is.

I've just hung a three foot wide Xpan print in the living room. It's not darkroom quality, but is definitely acceptable when viewed from a reasonable distance.

I'm quite impressed with the new Epson machines (I got hold of a refurbished P400) and the Matt Ultra and Smooth Pearl Fotospeed papers I've been using. BTW: Fotospeed create free customised printer profiles to match their papers to your own printer and inks. Just sent my test prints off.

I cleaned and reorganised my darkroom recently and it's back up and running for a couple of printing sessions this week. The Nova tanks will be filled with chemicals this afternoon and I'll be in there for the next few evenings.

Happy days

Old 09-11-2018   #64
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
You are correct Cal, small medium or large you can always find place to display your prints!

And a printer is a very useful tool for a photographer...

robert
PS: of course a darkroom as well

https://thequietphotographer.files.w...0120418-12.jpg

https://thequietphotographer.files.w....jpg?w=1400&h=
Robert,

I strongly feel that printing has made me into a better photographer.

Here is an update to this thread. I'm almost out of 17x22 cut sheets, so I'll be going to my 17 and 24 inch roll stockpile and will be loading my 7800 with ink.

I assembled the 12x18 images on 17x22 sheets into a book that has a 4 inch spine. This "workbook" is for preparing to print limited editions. I'm really proud of this self contained body of work that will help me with the editing and printing that lays ahead. I think I will advance this bookmaking into creating a book of proofs with an increased image size of 13.33x20 inches on 17x24 inch paper.

BTW I used self adhesive linen tape to join these pages to my spine that is held together with binding posts. Later this month I'm registered for a portfolio review, and I will edit from my workbook and select 24-30 images from my workbook utilizing the covers from my workbook.

Having images on hand that are printed makes this easy.

Also these books made of prints are mighty impressive. An art dealer said, "If you make a one-off book that is for your personal use, one day it will be worth a lot of money." As I live it won't be for sale, but will be part of my estate and legacy.

Perhaps the question has to be asked: if you don't print are you creating a legacy? Is the documentary aspect/history of photography being excluded or purposely forgotten? And is not printing a way to create immortality for an artist?

Anyways to me a print is a better more valuable artifact. It is a finished work, while being a photographer is an ongoing process.

A bit off topic: I bought a remastered version of "Aqualung" by Jethro Tull. On my 300B single ended triode tube stereo this remastered album sounds muffled and compressed. The great analog dynamics that once were are gone. Pretty much the older recording I love better.

As far as fine art printing goes I consider myself a work in progress. As skill and technology goes I have both adapted and evolved. My prints have gotten better.

I think the best asset a photographer can have is a "trained eye." I see every defect, where others don't see unless I point it out. I think printing brings out a very critical view, especially at a fine art level, and printing is not a brief instant like taking a shot. There is mucho time to analize, compare, and time to add improvements when printing.

I also know that I can print what I can't see. My 27 inch Eizo, even dimmed down to 50 Lux in a darkened room can't reveal all the shadow detail that I can print. This is with files taken with a Monochrom, a rather primitive CCD sensored camera. Of course CMOS cameras like my SL have even more shadow detail.

Pretty much I can't see having other people printing my files. Too much data would not get used and my vision would be lost.

Forget seeing or editing using a computer screen. My 27 inch EIZO can't compete against my prints.

Cal

Old 09-11-2018   #65
Steve M.

I only shoot film cameras, so we'll restrict this to my only digital camera....my phone. Although for years I scanned the negs and digitally printed them on an inkjet, so that's the same thing.

I have yet to print one thing from my phone, although the quality is very good. It's a PITA to pass it around to show pics to people, or have them crowd around for a view. The "keepers" get sent to my computer to store on it's HD, or I send them via text or email to friends. It feels very strange not printing them.

On the other hand, I probably shouldn't complain. Being able to pass the phone around and show the shots is not really that bad. It's a lot better than handing someone my film camera, because there is no way they're gonna see any pics on it

Old 10-04-2018   #66
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Reading a few comments i will agree and it is this. Owning a decent printer, buying the paper, ink cartridges etc etc, is going to be a touch more expensive than going to a print lab. It may be more than a touch expensive, depending on your taste and pockets. BUT, like all hobbies, the return is the pleasure. Everything in life costs, and they are robbing us by replacing cash with plastic cards. I suppose they think that it is easier to take a couple of plastic cards with you to your next life.
Gents, and some Ladies...spend and enjoy life now. Cheers.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 10-04-2018   #67
joe bosak

I've just started printing recently, a few from a lab initially, then today i dug out the remains of the first only only box of photo paper i ever bought which i half-used a decade or more ago (but put away due to expense and frustration), and i've printed some of my favourite photos from the last couple of years. Amazed what a difference it makes to have hard copies on the table! Reinvigorated my interest in photography, which had been waning.

I do have the issue of printer calibration to grapple with though (that said, the pix aren't too bad, maybe a stop or three too dark compared to my monitor, which had been calibrated though i realised i've changed my pc since.... always something eh?). But at least with these cheap inks from ebay my epson r300 doesnt seem to get (as) clogged as frequently as it used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 10-05-2018   #68
jsrockit

These days I only make books... it is an economical way to print and a great way to see a body of work... and great for editing. I will only print large single prints if I have a show or if someone wants one of my photos. For my purposes, I don`t see the appeal of having boxes full of prints sitting around when I can print on demand. I prefer the book format.

Old 10-05-2018   #69
Bob Michaels
nobody special

I print when appropriate but gave up making 8x10 proofs about 5 years ago as they only piled up on the shelves.

I printed 19 11x13.75 prints last weekend to be framed for an exhibit. That is where prints were needed. Since I have a totally calibrated system and seem to know what I am doing, my initial print was the final in every case.

Interestingly, these same photos have been exhibited before but in an automatic slide show with accompanying music using a large monitor. That was in a venue that was not big enough for a collection of 16x20 framed prints but the subject matter of the series was appropriate for the venue and the date. So I differ from others here who contend that a photo is not real unless it is printed.