Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-06-2018   #201
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

1955 Kiev-2a rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Expired (1995) Kodak TMAX 100 developed by GerryM.
Epson V750-M Pro
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2018   #202
fer_fdi
Registered User
 
fer_fdi's Avatar
 
fer_fdi is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Barcelona & Empordà, Spain
Posts: 399
amazed by this lens again and again!
It's on my CLE more than any other of my lenses... even more than my Summicron-C
(btw, CLE + Jupiter-12 weights just 520 grams, incl. film and battery)

LZOS 86xxxx Jupiter-12 at mfd and f5.6 on Ektar (slight crop) :




Same lens on Portra 160, f4 (crop) :




Same lens on Portra 400 @200, f8 :

__________________
~
Fer
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018   #203
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

1955 Kiev-2a rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Arista 200 developed by GerryM.
Epson V750-M Pro
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018   #204
Gerry M
Gerry
 
Gerry M is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Medford, Oregon, U. S.
Posts: 916
Colton,
That one came out super! Great for a Whoa, I'm gotta' shoot that!
__________________
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018   #205
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry M View Post
Colton,
That one came out super! Great for a Whoa, I'm gotta' shoot that!
Thanks Gerry
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018   #206
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Canon 7 Rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Expired Fuji Superia 400
Epson V750-M Pro
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018   #207
fer_fdi
Registered User
 
fer_fdi's Avatar
 
fer_fdi is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Barcelona & Empordà, Spain
Posts: 399
f4 at mfd on Kodak Gold 200 :

__________________
~
Fer
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018   #208
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,244
Zorki-3, J-12, Ilford HP-5 Plus


Buckingham Branch Railroad Bridge over the James River by P F McFarland, on Flickr

At Bremo Bluff, VA.


Empty Service Bays by P F McFarland, on Flickr

On US-15 south of the James River.


BBRR Headquarters by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Headquarters at Dillwyn, VA.

PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2018   #209
Mr_Flibble
Registered User
 
Mr_Flibble's Avatar
 
Mr_Flibble is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Lowlands
Age: 42
Posts: 4,099
Royal Dutch Army Engineers Museum




Contax II, Jupiter-12, Eastman 5222
__________________
Rick - In Tabulas Argenteas Refero
Loaded with film: Leica IIIc and a Graphic 23 roll film holder
Latest Toys: Kodak Auto Graphic Jr, Clarus MS-35
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2018   #210
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Canon 7 Rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Expired Fuji Superia 400
Epson V750-M Pro
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2018   #211
Brambling
Registered User
 
Brambling is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ukraine, Kharkov
Posts: 135

Zorki 3m, J12 (1953), avifot80, D76 (1+3)
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2018   #212
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,244
Zorki-6, J-12, Kodak T-Max 100



Virginia Tech Water Treatment Plant_2 by P F McFarland, on Flickr


PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2018   #213
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Fujicolor C200
Epson V750-M Pro
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018   #214
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is online now
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,427
Unknown vintage of Polaroid 200 OneFilm, Germany and J-12 with Russian Biogon s/n on Zorki:




  Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2018   #215
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Fujicolor C200
Nikon Coolscan V ED
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2018   #216
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 917
Great pictures everyone! I hope I can soon get around to developing some rolls I used the J-12 with back in April.

Colton, we know you're cheating with digital witchcraft. The annoying pincushion distortion was present in your earlier shots.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2018   #217
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Great pictures everyone! I hope I can soon get around to developing some rolls I used the J-12 with back in April.

Colton, we know you're cheating with digital witchcraft. The annoying pincushion distortion was present in your earlier shots.
I did remove the pincushion distortion on the last shot, but the ones before are as shot. The distortion is really noticeable on some frames but not noticeable on others.
Also, my Kiev mount Jupiter-12 seems to have much less distortion than my LTM copy.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2018   #218
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
I did remove the pincushion distortion on the last shot, but the ones before are as shot. The distortion is really noticeable on some frames but not noticeable on others.
Also, my Kiev mount Jupiter-12 seems to have much less distortion than my LTM copy.

Yes, it rarely matters for landscapes, but man made things with straight lines... Interesting about the Kiev version having less distortions! Too bad one needs an external VF whereas 35 mm can still be done with the Canon 7 internal VF, otherwise I'd be all over that, Kievs and Contaxes seems nice. Well except no framelines.
P.S. The colors in your pics are really nice! I haven't used mine with color except some test shots, do you feel it takes more work to get them look like this compared to other lenses? Examples on the web mostly have pretty crummy color.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2018   #219
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Yes, it rarely matters for landscapes, but man made things with straight lines... Interesting about the Kiev version having less distortions! Too bad one needs an external VF whereas 35 mm can still be done with the Canon 7 internal VF, otherwise I'd be all over that, Kievs and Contaxes seems nice. Well except no framelines.
P.S. The colors in your pics are really nice! I haven't used mine with color except some test shots, do you feel it takes more work to get them look like this compared to other lenses? Examples on the web mostly have pretty crummy color.
Ya, the Canon 7 and Jupiter-12 make a great pair, with parallax corrected 35mm framelines, coupled vf/rf, and a very easy to use camera.
For years, I have been shooting 35mm lenses blind, with no viewfinder at all, so the Kiev with Jupiter-12 and external VF isn't a big deal to me. Actually, I had planned to just stick with my Zorki 4 and Jupiter-12 with external VF, but my Zorki has intermittent light leaks, so I decided to get the Canon 7.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018   #220
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Fujicolor C200
Epson V750-M Pro
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018   #221
Artingei
Registered User
 
Artingei is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Fujicolor C200
Epson V750-M Pro
Fuji C200 is the best budget film IMO. I love its color palette, graduation and saturation. Seems better balanced than what I got from cheap Kodak negative films. (but you've got to love Kodak Gold in midwest winter light )

I got my Jupiter-12 some days ago, it's gorgeous! By the way: Do you use a hood? @Colton i like those little corner flares it produces, I saw those too in some pics on my first two films I shot with it so far this weekend.


https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/42963654754
Jupiter-12 @f4-5.6
HP5 @640 in HC-110
Leica M6
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018   #222
skopar steve
Registered User
 
skopar steve's Avatar
 
skopar steve is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambling View Post

Zorki 3m, J12 (1953), avifot80, D76 (1+3)
Excellent shot Brambling!
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018   #223
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artingei View Post
Fuji C200 is the best budget film IMO. I love its color palette, graduation and saturation. Seems better balanced than what I got from cheap Kodak negative films. (but you've got to love Kodak Gold in midwest winter light )

I got my Jupiter-12 some days ago, it's gorgeous! By the way: Do you use a hood? @Colton i like those little corner flares it produces, I saw those too in some pics on my first two films I shot with it so far this weekend.
Fujicolor C200 is a great film and is very underrated IMO. I like Kodak Gold 200 a lot too, but haven't used it nearly as much.

Congrats on your J-12! They are great lenses. Is yours black, or silver?
I never use a hood with mine.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018   #224
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Fujicolor C200
Nikon Coolscan V ED
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018   #225
mconnealy
Registered User
 
mconnealy's Avatar
 
mconnealy is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 168
B-36

Zorki 2C, Jupiter 12
__________________
Mike Connealy - Photography & Vintage Film Cameras
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2018   #226
Artingei
Registered User
 
Artingei is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Fujicolor C200 is a great film and is very underrated IMO. I like Kodak Gold 200 a lot too, but haven't used it nearly as much.

Congrats on your J-12! They are great lenses. Is yours black, or silver?
I never use a hood with mine.
Thanks! Got it and a Summilux last Friday (which costed 20 times of what I paid for the Jupiter). I will return the Summilux because I was surprised that it provides very low contrast and resolution even at f4. The Jupiter is black. It's body is in B- condition, glass is A- with some dust in it. I was surprised that focusing feels more leicaesque than on the Summilux.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2018   #227
css9450
Registered User
 
css9450's Avatar
 
css9450 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,953
Canon IIf, Jupiter-12 35mm/f2.8, Ilford Delta 100, Rodinal 1:50

__________________
Nikon S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2, FA, N90S, D80, D7000, D750, Sony a6000, Canon IIf, Leica CL, Tower type 3, Zorki 4, Vito B, Perkeo II, Rollei 35....
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2018   #228
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artingei View Post
Thanks! Got it and a Summilux last Friday (which costed 20 times of what I paid for the Jupiter). I will return the Summilux because I was surprised that it provides very low contrast and resolution even at f4. The Jupiter is black. It's body is in B- condition, glass is A- with some dust in it. I was surprised that focusing feels more leicaesque than on the Summilux.
Interesting about the Summilux... I would guess it has something wrong with it? I have never used or owned a Leitz lens so can't comment
I'm kinda cheap when it comes to lenses. I just finally stepped up from an Industar-61 to a Canon 50mm
My L39 Jupiter-12 is an older silver version. Glass is decent, body is kinda ugly, and focusing is stiff, but it's a good image maker. I also have a really nice clean black Jupiter-12 in Kiev/Contax mount. I haven't used it a lot, but it seems optically better than my L39 copy. I'm shooting a roll of Fujicolor 200 with it and my Kiev-2a, so hopefully soon I will have images from that to share.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2018   #229
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconnealy View Post
B-36

Zorki 2C, Jupiter 12
Very cool!!!
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2018   #230
Brambling
Registered User
 
Brambling is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ukraine, Kharkov
Posts: 135
Zorki 3M, Jupiter 12, Tmax400, orange filter 2.8x, D76

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2018   #231
Brambling
Registered User
 
Brambling is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ukraine, Kharkov
Posts: 135
Zorki 3M, Jupiter 12, Tmax400, orange filter 2.8x, D76

  Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2018   #232
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Fujicolor C200
Nikon Coolscan V ED
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2018   #233
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915

Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Kodak Portra 400
Epson V750-M Pro
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2018   #234
WJJ3
Registered User
 
WJJ3's Avatar
 
WJJ3 is online now
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hakuba
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Kodak Portra 400
Epson V750-M Pro
Nice shot, is that the bridge in Astoria?

I have a Kiev Mount J-12 on the way that I’m hoping works with my Nikon S2
__________________
Happy Shooting!
~Will

Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2018   #235
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
Nice shot, is that the bridge in Astoria?

I have a Kiev Mount J-12 on the way that I’m hoping works with my Nikon S2
Thank you. It is the bridge in Astoria.
Hope your J-12 fits your S2, it should.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2018   #236
css9450
Registered User
 
css9450's Avatar
 
css9450 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,953
I use my S2 with a Jupiter-12 often. Keep in mind you'll probably have to grind or file the ridge off the back of the lensmount, so it won't scratch the camera. Or its possible someone has already done this in the past.

This was with my Canon IIf: LTM version obviously (I have both - both 1959 vintage)

__________________
Nikon S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2, FA, N90S, D80, D7000, D750, Sony a6000, Canon IIf, Leica CL, Tower type 3, Zorki 4, Vito B, Perkeo II, Rollei 35....
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2018   #237
Larry H-L
Registered User
 
Larry H-L is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 599
Just tried a Jupiter-12 on a Nikon S2, it does mount, however it is a very snug fit and does rub the front of the camera. The Nikkor 35mm f2.5 mounts much more easily.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2018   #238
WJJ3
Registered User
 
WJJ3's Avatar
 
WJJ3 is online now
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hakuba
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Thank you. It is the bridge in Astoria.
Hope your J-12 fits your S2, it should.

very cool!


Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I use my S2 with a Jupiter-12 often. Keep in mind you'll probably have to grind or file the ridge off the back of the lensmount, so it won't scratch the camera. Or its possible someone has already done this in the past.

This was with my Canon IIf: LTM version obviously (I have both - both 1959 vintage)


Thanks for the info! I saw several reports that gave varying accounts of using the J-12 on the S2. Will see how I go when it gets here. Its a 1978 black lens from the Lytkarino factory with Cyrillic lettering. Hope its a good sample!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H-L View Post
Just tried a Jupiter-12 on a Nikon S2, it does mount, however it is a very snug fit and does rub the front of the camera. The Nikkor 35mm f2.5 mounts much more easily.

Thanks for the info!
__________________
Happy Shooting!
~Will

Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2018   #239
css9450
Registered User
 
css9450's Avatar
 
css9450 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,953
I'll try to take a photo tonight of which part at the back of the J-12 mount needs to be filed away to prevent rubbing or scratching of Nikon rangefinders. I'd rather take a file to my J-12 than risk scratching a nice Nikon RF.
__________________
Nikon S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2, FA, N90S, D80, D7000, D750, Sony a6000, Canon IIf, Leica CL, Tower type 3, Zorki 4, Vito B, Perkeo II, Rollei 35....
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2018   #240
WJJ3
Registered User
 
WJJ3's Avatar
 
WJJ3 is online now
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hakuba
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I'll try to take a photo tonight of which part at the back of the J-12 mount needs to be filed away to prevent rubbing or scratching of Nikon rangefinders. I'd rather take a file to my J-12 than risk scratching a nice Nikon RF.

That would be much appreciated! I don't want to scratch up my S2. Its not perfect, but its in pretty nice shape, and I definitely won't feel too bad about a minor modification to a $50 lens...
__________________
Happy Shooting!
~Will

Flickr
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 17:53.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.