Old 04-12-2018   #161
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
You have my contact info!!!
I do! I'll see how it goes shooting Acros for awhile... Somehow I doubled up my B&H order and wound up with twice what I was going to get - I put film in my Cart both at home and here at the office! Probably more Acros than I'll even need considering I'm more used to shooting Delta 100 instead.

Old 04-15-2018   #162
gnuyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by znapper View Post
You know, I've never understood that sentiment.
Digital?

How?

Too clean? Something with the contrast perhaps?

I've shot hundreds of thousands of digital photos and converted a whole heap of them to black and white too, and I can create just the B/W shot I like from my DSLR, not only regarding to filter simulation, but also to mimicking spectral-response and inherent tone curves, none of them have the resemblance to Acros, at least the output I get from Acros trough scanning and printing.

The resolution, sharpness and detail and shadow/highlight-information from my DLSR's, smacks Acros and just about any other analog product, apart from large format out of the water.

But I like Acros and I shoot Acros and it is far away from digital looking.

What do you guys actually mean by "it looks digital" ?

Do you even shoot digital?

I would love to hear some more details surrounding this, since it is a big mystery to me that such a statement seem to have become a common argument, to explain why someone doesn't like the film.

It's ok to not like a film without any other follow-up you know, but......digital look??
Yes, maybe it's a bit of a broad generalization... I can't really speak from experience with Acros. I do shoot both film and digital, and I prefer films that give tonality that sets it apart from anything I can do with digital B&W conversions. I'm always curious about new films and devs to try and all I can say is the (online) examples I have seen with Acros, it's not my cup of tea and it's not just about grain or lack of. For me it's the tonality of it. I do feel like Acros had a digital vibe. Just my take on it anyway.

Again...very broad generalization and not having real world experience with Acros... But it's OK, I have plenty of other options I do like (for now). I am never happy however to see a film go away, regardless if I would use it or not. I am extremely unhappy about Plus X going away. That was by far my favorite B&W film.

Old 05-03-2018   #163
pressureworld

Will stores be restocking it until 10/18 or is this it. I don't see anymore at B&H, Freestyle, Amazon etc.

Old 05-03-2018   #164
Carey M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressureworld View Post
Will stores be restocking it until 10/18 or is this it. I don't see anymore at B&H, Freestyle, Amazon etc.
Few weeks ago I ordered a few bricks of 35mm Acros to our store, but so far we have not received any. Acros in 120 arrived propmptly and as ordered.

Old 05-03-2018   #165
Oren Grad

Quote:
10/18 was just Fuji's estimate of how long stocks would last at anticipated sales rates. If lots of people are filling their freezers the warehouse could empty well before then.

Old 05-03-2018   #166
pressureworld

Thank you both for the replies. I'm still looking but It doesn't look good. I shoot very long exposures and Acros 120 has been my go to film. It looks like I'm going to have to make changes in my work flow.

Old 05-03-2018   #167
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
10/18 was just Fuji's estimate of how long stocks would last at anticipated sales rates. If lots of people are filling their freezers the warehouse could empty well before then.

FWIW that estimate was for the Japanese domestic market. Judging by past Fujifilm discontinuations, Acros will disappear from overseas markets earlier than that. Add to that the hoarding thats already taking place, and the estimate is likely way too positive.

Old 05-03-2018   #168
dave lackey

Quote:
Thank you both for the replies. I'm still looking but It doesn't look good. I shoot very long exposures and Acros 120 has been my go to film. It looks like I'm going to have to make changes in my work flow.
Drop by Wing's Camera in Atlanta... Mike has some! Just bought a little myself!

Dave

Old 05-19-2018   #169
pressureworld

I love Wings Camera, thanks Dave

Old 05-19-2018   #170
dave lackey

My pleasure!

Dave

Old 05-20-2018   #171
RObert Budding

I'm standardizing on Ilford. At least they seem to be in the business for the long term.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 05-21-2018   #172
maigo

My B and H order from April 4 arrived unheralded today. 10 x 5 pack of 120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-22-2018   #173
Deklari

Sound promising :-)

My Adorama order from April 12 still on backorder.

Old 05-22-2018   #174
bayernfan

i wish i had stocked up on 120 pro packs when they were $23. A 120 roll is going for minimum $10 now.

Old 05-22-2018   #175
wjlapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
My B and H order from April 4 arrived unheralded today. 10 x 5 pack of 120.

You can't order from BHPhoto now.

Someone on Photrio can purchase film in Japan and ship anywhere. His ad is recent. But he said Acros is hard to come by there as well.

Old 05-22-2018   #176
css9450

Regarding B&H and Adorama.... I think they got slammed with a lot of orders during (or just before) the spring holiday, when the news broke of the Acros discontinuation. Orders they are still trying to get caught up on! Crazy...

Old 05-22-2018   #177
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Regarding B&H and Adorama.... I think they got slammed with a lot of orders during (or just before) the spring holiday, when the news broke of the Acros discontinuation. Orders they are still trying to get caught up on! Crazy...
I expect that the major retailers will get one more semi-big shipment before October. I check the websites once a week to see if they get something.

Old 07-19-2018   #178
Deklari

My Adorama's order from April 12 finally shipped today. Looks like they get shipment from Fuji.

Old 07-20-2018   #179
samuelphoto

B&H and Freestyle have 35mm and 120 in stock right now.

Old 07-22-2018   #180
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphoto View Post
B&H and Freestyle have 35mm and 120 in stock right now.
I think they're still getting some small batches. B&H had some in June, but it was gone within a day or two.

Old 07-22-2018   #181
BLKRCAT
99% Film

picked up a roll over the weekend. Planning on making a video in the future about the film as a send off. I've shot the film a bunch in 120 but I never have shot it in 35mm, so that will be fun.

Old 07-22-2018   #182
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deklari View Post
My Adorama's order from April 12 finally shipped today. Looks like they get shipment from Fuji.
i bought a few 120 propacks at the old school price of $24 from adorama a few months ago on backorder. still waiting for fulfillment on this.

Old 07-25-2018   #183
Prest_400
Multiformat

John Sypal posted a story on IG, screenshot of some japanese article about Fuji possibly rethinking about Acros...

Old 07-25-2018   #184
brbo

Bring it on!!!

Maybe Fuji can repeat the discontinuation, "reformulation" (yeah, right!), reintroduction (at almost double the price) and final discontinuation of Neopan 400? All of this within, what, a year or two?

Is there a nicer way to make some extra bucks from remaining stock?

Old 07-25-2018   #185
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
John Sypal posted a story on IG, screenshot of some japanese article about Fuji possibly rethinking about Acros...

I've just looked at his Instagram page, and there wasn't any posting:
https://www.instagram.com/tokyocamerastyle/

Already deleted?

Could you plaese give a direct link to that posting?
Thanks!

Cheers, Jan

Old 07-25-2018   #186
brbo

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blp0d2In..._web_copy_link

Old 07-25-2018   #187
HHPhoto

Thank you!

A question at our Japanese (speaking) members here: What is exactly written in the Japaneses text John Sypal is referring to?
Thanks for your help!

Cheers, Jan

Old 07-25-2018   #188
rolfe

When the discontinuation was announced, both B&H and Adorama were out of stock instantly and B&H said they would not get any more, despite the fact that there was an October, 2018 date associated with the discontinuation.

Adorama accepted an order for 6 pro-packs of 120 Acros as a backorder, and has had it on backorder for months. Yesterday, they delivered my 6 pro-packs, but the website now says "discontinued".

Go figure...

Rolfe

Old 07-25-2018   #189
PCR

FYI

https://www.en.finegrain.es/2018/03/...agfaphoto.html

without machines no new film?

Old 07-25-2018   #190
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR View Post
Oh please, not again this complete nonsense!!
Every statement in this text is wrong.
Because the pictures there were from the former Fujifilm plant in Tilburg, Netherlands. Up to 2008 only color negative amateur films for the European market were made there. No professional CN film, no reversal film, no BW film. No film for non-european markets. It was just one of several global Fujifilm factories.
Since 2008 Fujifilm is producing silver-halide paper (RA-4) for the European market in Tilburg.

Not one single picture in this article is from the main Fujifilm film factory in Tokyo.
The pictures from Tilburg were published online when the machines got for sale by an auction company some years ago.

It is really sad that some people are making money by clickbaiting and by telling such lies.

Old 07-25-2018   #191
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
Oh please, not again this complete nonsense!!
Every statement in this text is wrong.

Jan, we have been speculating as such several times in this thread already. So if its wrong, this is the first we have heard of it.

Old 07-25-2018   #192
Skiff

Quote:
Jan, we have been speculating as such several times in this thread already. So if its wrong, this is the first we have heard of it.
1. I am not Jan.
2. The link to that article have been posted here on rff and in other forums and social media channels quite often. Therefore my wish "please not again".

Old 07-25-2018   #193
css9450

Sorry; I thought you were both the same person. But yes, that link was posted here earlier and some have wondered if it was true but yours is the first post to tell us it is not.

Old 07-25-2018   #194
Larry Cloetta

B and H has Acros 100 in 135 in stock and ready to ship today. Has been there since Friday.
They apparently had a large stock of 120 as well, but by the time I arrived late at the party yesterday they were out of five packs, and were limiting 120 orders to two rolls per person. Today the 120 seems to be gone, but 35mm very available. Maybe I should have posted this sooner, but I thought “surely, I’m the last here to know this.”

Old 07-25-2018   #195
Skiff

Quote:
Sorry; I thought you were both the same person. But yes, that link was posted here earlier and some have wondered if it was true but yours is the first post to tell us it is not.

You are welcome.
As I've written:
"The pictures from Tilburg were published online when the machines got for sale by an auction company some years ago."
These pictures have been quite often posted in several European forums and social media channels some years ago in preparation for the auction. The auction company wanted as much potential customers as possible.
Therefore you can ask all European film manufacturers about that, and they will confirm. Because they were either directly addresed or got the infos online.
Of course you can also ask the staff in Tilburg. The Fufifilm factory is still there in Tilburg, modernised and producing RA-4 photo paper (dozen of millions of m p.a.) and lots of other materials like membranes.
You can also ask Super 8 expert Tak Koyama (who is converting fresh Provia 100F in S8 cassettes): He is visiting the Fufilm film factory in Tokyo almost every month due to one of his friends. And he says the factory is operating normally as in the last years.
And of course - visible for everyone - the boom in Fuji instax with millions of cameras sold each year. And a film production at full capacity. How to produce dozens of millions instax film packs every year without machinery?

Old 07-25-2018   #196
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
You can also ask Super 8 expert Tak Koyama (who is converting fresh Provia 100F in S8 cassettes): He is visiting the Fufilm film factory in Tokyo almost every month due to one of his friends. And he says the factory is operating normally as in the last years.
And of course - visible for everyone - the boom in Fuji instax with millions of cameras sold each year. And a film production at full capacity. How to produce dozens of millions instax film packs every year without machinery?
Tak Koyama. That's very interesting! Up until now Fuji seemed a hermetic sarcophagus. For Kodak there are Retirees and other contacts that give out a rather good picture about the facilities, of Fuji I knew nothing.

The machinery theory IMO weakens quite a bit when you count that Integral film requires a negative film material, thus the emulsion and coating machinery still has a use. Another issue would be specific components not shared amongst some films (BW, C41, E6).

Crazy would it be that they discontinue films to free up production space and slots, could have been the case with Peel apart?

Old 07-25-2018   #197
Skiff

Quote:
The machinery theory IMO weakens quite a bit when you count that Integral film requires a negative film material, thus the emulsion and coating machinery still has a use.
We've talked about that here on rff in the past years, too. Every instant film, also integral instant film, has a negative film base. And this negative film is produced like any other negative film concerning emulsion making and coating.
For example the color negative film base of Polaroid Originals film is made in Germany by Inoviscoat. A company founded by former Agfa Germany engineers, which have built a complete new film factory in the town Monheim in 2008. They have bought lots of former film production machinery from the former Agfa plant in Leverkusen. Therefore Polaroid Originals film of today is partly made on machines on which up to 2005 the Agfa photo films were made.

Quote:
Crazy would it be that they discontinue films to free up production space and slots, could have been the case with Peel apart?
Unlikely. Packfilm had to be discontinued because the demand has collapsed. The only relevant demand volume for packfilm had been professional photographers (studio test shots) and passport and identity card photographers. Demand from amateurs and enthusiasts has always been negligible in comparison to the professional demand.

Old 07-25-2018   #198
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
We've talked about that here on rff in the past years, too. Every instant film, also integral instant film, has a negative film base. And this negative film is produced like any other negative film concerning emulsion making and coating.
For example the color negative film base of Polaroid Originals film is made in Germany by Inoviscoat. A company founded by former Agfa Germany engineers, which have built a complete new film factory in the town Monheim in 2008. They have bought lots of former film production machinery from the former Agfa plant in Leverkusen. Therefore Polaroid Originals film of today is partly made on machines on which up to 2005 the Agfa photo films were made.

Unlikely. Packfilm had to be discontinued because the demand has collapsed. The only relevant demand volume for packfilm had been professional photographers (studio test shots) and passport and identity card photographers. Demand from amateurs and enthusiasts has always been negligible in comparison to the professional demand.
Nonsense. The people I see...without fail...interested in pack are photographers/artists. Nothing to do with studio test shots or passports. Where the heck have you been?

Old 07-25-2018   #199
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faintandfuzzy View Post
Nonsense. The people I see...without fail...interested in pack are photographers/artists. Nothing to do with studio test shots or passports. Where the heck have you been?

No, it is not at all nonsense. It's the reality.
Of course now the people you see using pack film are often artists.
Because all the professionals have long given up using it. Test shots in studios and passport photography have gone digital years ago.

But the number of artists and enthusiasts is absolutely tiny and negligible compared to the former huge demand volume of e.g. passport / identity card photography, when ten thousands of shots were made every day.

Only some thousand artists globally who shoot this film only from time to time are not enough at all to keep a line running which was implemented to serve a huge mass market!

I've been in this business for quite a long time. I know what I am talking about. Everyone in this industry know that packfilm was a film type that lived by the passport and studio test shot demand.

And by the way: Just some days ago, Florian Kaps (founder of Impossible), who now tries to make packfilm again, has in an interview completely confirmed what I've explained here. You find the interview on youtube.

Old 07-25-2018   #200
PCR

So I asked Tak Koyama via Email. He wrote that he only where there one time @ the factory 20 years ago....

Greetings
Peter

Quote:
You are welcome.
As I've written:
"The pictures from Tilburg were published online when the machines got for sale by an auction company some years ago."
These pictures have been quite often posted in several European forums and social media channels some years ago in preparation for the auction. The auction company wanted as much potential customers as possible.
Therefore you can ask all European film manufacturers about that, and they will confirm. Because they were either directly addresed or got the infos online.
Of course you can also ask the staff in Tilburg. The Fufifilm factory is still there in Tilburg, modernised and producing RA-4 photo paper (dozen of millions of m p.a.) and lots of other materials like membranes.