Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Old 06-16-2018   #41
DanskDynamit

maybe its just me but all the colour photos I see from this lens have a Lomo look.

Old 06-18-2018   #42
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Interesting. The rant at the end of the review is a rather sad piece of apoplectic vitriol.

Old 06-18-2018   #43
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
maybe its just me but all the colour photos I see from this lens have a Lomo look.
People don't know how to edit either. I think it's more that than anything else. I know it'll never happen but i wish they made this lens in LTM mount. I'd swipe one in a heartbeat if they did. Blah blah blah buy a Canon 35/2 blah blah blah, I know.

Old 06-18-2018   #44
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbharrill1 View Post
I read somewhere that it is not compatible with any Leica made in Canada. I've got an m4-P and was highly considering it until saw that.

Any idea what the issue is? I've seen the obvious issues with the CL and M5 with mounting certain collapsible lenses, but never any lens restrictions for the M4-P/M4-2.

*EDIT*
Here is a review and the first photo is this lens on an M4-P. https://www.thephoblographer.com/201...ed-on-sony-fe/

BUT here an amazon link stating that it isn't compatible. (Well it actually lists it as compatible but then contradicts itself) https://www.amazon.com/7artisans-35m...sans+35mm+f2+m
"Available for Leica M Mount with A Rangefinder Coupling. Works with Leica M2 M3 M4-2 M5 M6 M7 M8 M9 M10 M4P M9p M240 M240P ME M262 M-M CL and Voigtlander M Mount Cameras. NOT compatbile with Leica M4 Cameras manufactured in Canada. Works great with Leica M4 Cameras that are manufactured in other Countries"
What a bizarre claim. Why would it work with an M4-2 and not an M4-P? I don't understand what would make it any different between a Canadian and German Leica.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 06-18-2018   #45
raid
Dad Photographer

I am very happy with the 7artisans 50/1.1 but I will not get the 35/2. I have enough 35mm lenses.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-19-2018   #46
existrandom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbharrill1 View Post
I read somewhere that it is not compatible with any Leica made in Canada. I've got an m4-P and was highly considering it until saw that.

Any idea what the issue is? I've seen the obvious issues with the CL and M5 with mounting certain collapsible lenses, but never any lens restrictions for the M4-P/M4-2.

*EDIT*
Here is a review and the first photo is this lens on an M4-P. https://www.thephoblographer.com/201...ed-on-sony-fe/

BUT here an amazon link stating that it isn't compatible. (Well it actually lists it as compatible but then contradicts itself) https://www.amazon.com/7artisans-35m...sans+35mm+f2+m
"Available for Leica M Mount with A Rangefinder Coupling. Works with Leica M2 M3 M4-2 M5 M6 M7 M8 M9 M10 M4P M9p M240 M240P ME M262 M-M CL and Voigtlander M Mount Cameras. NOT compatbile with Leica M4 Cameras manufactured in Canada. Works great with Leica M4 Cameras that are manufactured in other Countries"
i am interested in this lens too and i wonder if it would work on a M4, since the publicity materials i found seems to not mention all M4 variants

Old 06-19-2018   #47
stompyq

Hmm. I have one on preorder with B&H. I have a M4. Will have to see how things pan out

Old 06-19-2018   #48
Larry H-L

Years ago I had an M4-P that had difficulties locking some lenses to the mounting ring. The locking tab/lens release must have been just slightly too large.

Could that be the issue, that the new lenses don't lock firmly into place because some cameras have a lens lock/release that is slightly different in size?

Old 06-21-2018   #49
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSmith View Post
Interesting. The rant at the end of the review is a rather sad piece of apoplectic vitriol.
...from someone who probably wants to hype the lens.

I have one of these in front of me, and as soon as Hamish answers my questions about a couple of things, I'll share my comments. It has promising aspects and baffling ones. I get the sense in some initial testing that the steeply curved RF cam in this will be troublesome.

On the quality issue, calling it "Chinese crap" would be a stretch, but for something that sells under $300, I would advise you to keep your expectations about the fit/finish in the "realistic" range. The black sandblasted finish does not have the elegance in real life that the teaser photos suggest. Nor are the engravings as legible. They seem to have taken a page from the CV book on thin-weight, condensed numbers. Which is baffling, since the median age for users of this will be well into the "reading glasses" phase of life.

Also, it's not a Sonnar.

Dante

Old 06-21-2018   #50
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Mine just arrived today too. I think in all honesty for the price point it aligns with my expectations. I just did a quick and dirty test on my M10 and it seemed like focus accuracy was pretty on point, though I appreciate being able to adjust it if necessary. The focusing action itself is heavier than I would like as is the aperture ring, it takes a lot of force to change the setting, and perhaps I'm just too used to Leica's "loose" rings now but I found it odd.

I do like the size and ergonomics of the lens and I also like the focus tab, it feels fairly comfortable. It's also entirely possible that the focusing action will loosen up with some use.

On the M10 it never really gets sharp in the corners, but I feel like this is more of a "central subject" kind of lens (similar in how I used the Canon 35 f/2 LTM). I would say my gut reaction to the lens is that it's perfectly usable and I will be giving it a go on both film and my M10 in the coming weeks.

Instagram. | Website.

Old 06-21-2018   #51
Archlich

Mine needs quite some tweaks in focusing. At 205 grams it has the heft. Material is good while construction is just OK (a typical Chinese impression) - the helicoid feels somewhat rough, the movement like gears grinding. I exchanged for a new one and it improved, but it's still not as smooth as you'd expect from a brand new Japanese lens.

Resolution wise it never gets quite sharp...definitely not up to the CV 35/2.5 and the ZM C-Biogon (surely Zeiss wouldn't call this a "Sonnar" either) 35/2.8 with which the 7 Artisan shares a strikingly similar diagram. I think by making the lens f/2 (plus some other shoddy "improvements") they are stretching the design too far - just like Miyazaki-san did with the double gauss 28/2. Distortion is obvious, artifacts seem to be all over the place, but not unlike the other two "Biogons", on digital it's free from focus shift.

It's cheap, but the blistering sharp and constant CV 35/2.5 is not much more expensive. So at wider apretures it's more like a special purpose lens, fit for utilizing its (may I say LOMO-ish?) signature. Hmm. The same way you'd use a v1 35 lux.

Old 06-21-2018   #52
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
The same way you'd use a v1 35 lux.
Did you ever use a v1 35 lux? Do you mean a steel rim?

Erik.

Old 06-21-2018   #53
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Did you ever use a v1 35 lux? Do you mean a steel rim?

Erik.
Never had the luxury (what if I dropped it?). Only the black one.

Old 06-21-2018   #54
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Something is fishy here. Remember how 50 1.1 was received? Pictures right away. Pictures of it on cameras, pictures with it.
This one - "oh, mhe, ah" and not a single picture.

Old 06-21-2018   #55
raid
Dad Photographer

One more reason to stay away from it.

Old 06-21-2018   #56
bayernfan

i've not been impressed with a single sample image i've seen from it. quite a few have shown near balloon-ing distortion. hard pass for me.

Old 06-21-2018   #57
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

So, it sounds like we should just get the Color-scopar 35mm f2.5 for $100 more?

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 06-27-2018   #58
agoglanian
Reconnected.

The Garage. by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

Seems to work decently enough for me on the M10. I just adjusted the infinity focus a bit today and now it's spot on.

Instagram. | Website.

Old 07-08-2018   #59
djnato10
M6 Classical

I would love to see a comparison of this lens vs the Zeiss ZM Biogon 35mm f2.8. I have the Zeiss and would love to see these side by side as I like to run two 35mm focals lengths most of the time.

m6classical.com

Old 07-08-2018   #60
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Hmm. I have one on preorder with B&H. I have a M4. Will have to see how things pan out
Forgot to reply to this, sorry!

Works just fine on my M4 (chrome, 1969)

Instagram. | Website.

Old 07-08-2018   #61
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnato10 View Post
I would love to see a comparison of this lens vs the Zeiss ZM Biogon 35mm f2.8. I have the Zeiss and would love to see these side by side as I like to run two 35mm focals lengths most of the time.
Honestly, from a pure lens-performance perspective I would say the Zeiss would smoke this lens. That being said, Iíve been shooting a bit of film with it (Tri-X on my M-A) and I think it actually makes a pretty nice people / documentary lens. Given the barrel distortion and field curvature, itís not ideal for architecture but I still stand by my opinion that for under $300 new I think itís a very usable and adequate lens for the M platform. I would never expect it to outperform any 1st party lenses, but all I hoped was that it produced usable images without looking like a toy lens (with regard to rendering) and I think it accomplishes that goal .

Instagram. | Website.

Old 07-08-2018   #62
raid
Dad Photographer

I got the 50/1.1 because I was curious about the 7artisans lenses. Now, this curiosity is gone. The 50/1.1 is not a bad lens. It is also well built. I have no incentives to buy another lens from this manufacturer. My lenses are so good that any additional lens will look bad now.

Old 07-08-2018   #63
mooge

for what it's worth - my brother has a 7A 35 and it works on his M4-P and my M4...

Old 07-08-2018   #64
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Here's a handful of images shot on Tri-X with my M-A. I think the lens works well for people and on film. But it can still work for details as well.

Instagram. | Website.

Old 07-08-2018   #65
djnato10
M6 Classical

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoglanian View Post
Honestly, from a pure lens-performance perspective I would say the Zeiss would smoke this lens. That being said, I’ve been shooting a bit of film with it (Tri-X on my M-A) and I think it actually makes a pretty nice people / documentary lens. Given the barrel distortion and field curvature, it’s not ideal for architecture but I still stand by my opinion that for under $300 new I think it’s a very usable and adequate lens for the M platform. I would never expect it to outperform any 1st party lenses, but all I hoped was that it produced usable images without looking like a toy lens (with regard to rendering) and I think it accomplishes that goal .
I have the Zeiss Planar 50mm as well and often times turn back to my Konica M-Hexanon just because it isn't so clinical and contrasty. There is certainly something to be said about the imperfect lenses in the world of M-Mount glass.

m6classical.com

Old 07-09-2018   #66
agoglanian
Reconnected.

At the same time if one doesn't want to bother with "character" and would rather their lens be as "transparent" as possible then it's also great that the option is available

Instagram. | Website.

Old 07-19-2018   #67
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Has anyone found a lens hood that would work well for this thing? I was looking into possibly getting one.

Instagram. | Website.

Old 07-20-2018   #68
Artingei

Got mine yesterday from France. Yes, distortion doesn't go without notice. Everything else is just very, very good for the price. Feels like having 35mm Summicron form factor lens on my m with the mechanical qualities of a CV. I like it so far. I will also give it a try on my M9 soon (I am only shooting film atm...). I also think it's a solid companion for people shots ( wedding, documentary) on film and I will definitely sell my backup 35 (Canon f2 LTM) and keep this one.

Fomapan 100 @1600 in HC110

HP5+ @200 in Rodinal

Old 07-20-2018   #69
Artingei

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoglanian View Post
Has anyone found a lens hood that would work well for this thing? I was looking into possibly getting one.
Amazon and the Bay are full of 43mm hoods here in Germany. Are you looking for something specific?

Old 11-10-2018   #70
olesiar

Helo there! Can anyone measure the diameter of the "hole" of this lens, where usually "red dot" located on a Leica lenses? the one, which is on the DOF scale. Thanks in advance!