Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

FED returns!
Old 05-04-2018   #1
DH73

FED returns!

My lovely 1955 FED 1g, which wears a 1937-made Leitz Elmar lens, has just returned from a comprehensive overhaul by Steve Skears (www.skearsphoto.com). So nice to have this camera back, which now operates as it should do - probably better now than when it was made.

Steve also added some washers to the film chamber, so that normal 135 canisters sit in the correct position.

Old 05-04-2018   #2
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH73 View Post
Steve also added some washers to the film chamber, so that normal 135 canisters sit in the correct position.
I wonder: Is that a common issue with Soviet cameras? On my Zorki-4, each exposure looked like its a little crooked. Its not noticeable looking at them frame-by-frame, but looking at the strip of negatives it appears each image is cocked a couple degrees crooked on the film. Then, my most recent roll ripped halfway through... If its going through the gate crooked, I can imagine it catching on something sharp and tearing. I'd sure like to get it sorted out because I like shooting with the ol' tank!

Old 05-04-2018   #3
DH73

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I wonder: Is that a common issue with Soviet cameras? On my Zorki-4, each exposure looked like its a little crooked. Its not noticeable looking at them frame-by-frame, but looking at the strip of negatives it appears each image is cocked a couple degrees crooked on the film. Then, my most recent roll ripped halfway through... If its going through the gate crooked, I can imagine it catching on something sharp and tearing. I'd sure like to get it sorted out because I like shooting with the ol' tank!
Certainly my FEDs (1 and 2) have this problem. I understand that they were designed to use the Leica style user loaded 35mm canisters, which are longer than the Kodak designed 135 canisters. Looking at the test film Steve ran through it, it now sits straight, with no sprocket holes visible when the shutter is open.

Old 05-04-2018   #4
mcfingon
Western Australia

I now use an o-ring from a motorcycle chain to sit on the modern film cassette to make it line up nicely on my Leica III. It's just the right diameter to sit on the spool of a 35mm cassette.

Old 05-04-2018   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

The fact what some non FSU are willing to touch FSU for paid service is astonishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Is this the one I sold? It came as rear cap for my J-3 and it was stuffed with paper rings .

Old 05-04-2018   #6
skopar steve

Looking good. Now I have to check the negatives shot on my Fed 2.

Old 05-04-2018   #7
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post

Is this the one I sold? It came as rear cap for my J-3 and it was stuffed with paper rings .
Nope, someone else probably has that one. Mine came from Fedka. Its actually pretty reliable until this tearing film issue, but I bet a spacer of some sort will keep the film cartridge where it belongs and then all will be good with it.

Old 05-04-2018   #8
citizen99

The washers trick worked for me too .

Old 05-04-2018   #9
mconnealy

I have improved the alignment of the film in my FED I by laying a penny on top of the film can. It is also worthwhile sometimes to trim off the excess of the felt at the bottom end where the film emerges from the can.

Old 05-04-2018   #10
David Hughes
David Hughes

There's a lot about this problem (going from an old reloadable cassette to a modern one) in the Leica screw threaded lens/body threads but I can't think where.

Regards, David

PS Good firm that Skears they've done several of my old cameras...

Old 05-04-2018   #11
webOSUser

I'm going to try the penny trick on my Zorki-Zorki and FED2 Thanks for mentioning it. I've had a roll rip in one of my FSU cameras.

Steve W

Old 05-05-2018   #12
David Hughes
David Hughes

Just found it:-

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=120930

Regards, David

Old 05-06-2018   #13
DH73

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
There's a lot about this problem (going from an old reloadable cassette to a modern one) in the Leica screw threaded lens/body threads but I can't think where.

Regards, David

PS Good firm that Skears they've done several of my old cameras...
I've been using Skears since their repair shop opened in Bailiff Street, just after I moved to Northampton in 1990. Steve extended the life of my beloved Honeywell-Pentax H3v, which was worn out. I got another few years from it until the shutter ribbon broke. They are lovely people to deal with, very honest and approachable. You may have read on the 120/220 Rangefinder board about the hand-made 6x7 camera they lent me, to brighten up my recovery from the major surgery I had recently.
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...36#post2808236
I take it, David, that you are no longer in Northamptonshire?
Quite a few local shots on my flickr page, especially from Abington Park, as I used to live right by the park:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskWHFR8o

Old 05-06-2018   #14
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH73 View Post
...I take it, David, that you are no longer in Northamptonshire?
Quite a few local shots on my flickr page, especially from Abington Park, as I used to live right by the park:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskWHFR8o
Hi,

Yes, still here but on the fringes and, oddly enough, I've never been in the park but I stopped going to Northampton when the car parking went pearshaped; apart from a visit or two to NGH recently.

Regards, David

Old 05-06-2018   #15
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I have had 4 Zorki 1's. None of them showed any problem from film cassettes and loading. I must lead a charmed life, un-apart from skill.

Old 05-06-2018   #16
Franko

This thread helped me resurrect a shelf queen Fed 1 that was tracking so bad that film was wadding up in a big bunch on the back side of the spool and jamming the whole works. I used adhesive backed felt to make a "gasket" that wouldn't fall out when I changed film.

If you need a lens cap, the black cap from 32oz bottle of Powerade Energy Drink is the perfect size. The cap threads make it a snap fit - much better than an aftermarket plastic cap.

Old 05-07-2018   #17
DH73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
This thread helped me resurrect a shelf queen Fed 1 that was tracking so bad that film was wadding up in a big bunch on the back side of the spool and jamming the whole works. I used adhesive backed felt to make a "gasket" that wouldn't fall out when I changed film.

If you need a lens cap, the black cap from 32oz bottle of Powerade Energy Drink is the perfect size. The cap threads make it a snap fit - much better than an aftermarket plastic cap.
I'm really pleased that this thread, and the combined knowledge of it's posters, have helped revive your FED1.

I use the lens cap from a FED 5cm f3.5 collapsible lens (the Elmar clone), although it kept falling off, so put a little surgical tape around the inside to help it stay in place.

Old 05-08-2018   #18
Franko

My take-up spool spindle wobbled and I thought that was my problem. Several attempts to fix that didn't cure the wind problem but adjusting the cartridge height did. I've run a test roll completely through twice with no glitches and have a "user"now. Thanks again. It seems that I remember reading that postwar FSU cameras were modified to accept modern carts but mine sure wasn't. I used thinned adhesive backed felt for my gasket so I wouldn't have something that could fall out and be lost. My IIIa needs the same treatment for film placement but doesn't jam or tear film.

The Powerade cap is not elegant but very functional. I've used adhesive backed felt in Fedka caps before but prefer the drink cap. It snaps on and will stay on with nothing else required.

Old 05-09-2018   #19
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

During the war the factory was evacuated from the war zone and I imagine that they had problems making them during the war and then afterwards. It's on the cards that pre-war parts that they had in stock were used and then replaced with modern ones to fit the then standard Kodak cassette, as - like the Leica and Contax - they were originally designed for loading your own bulk or refill film...

Regards, David

Old 07-03-2018   #20
Brambling

FED50

Old 07-23-2018   #21
DH73

OK - I'm looking for some more help and a "last chance" for the FED 1g.

Since servicing, it has developed a strange habit where 90% of the pictures will be out of focus, and the odd one will be reasonable. It's become like the little girl with a curl!

I've tried all manner of things when opening the lens, but it seems to matter not. I post two near identical shots from the other week, from adjacent frames on the same roll of ColorPlus. I'm puzzled, as is the person who did the service. Can anyone suggest anything which could be "off", please?

For the record, the shots were taken on the FED 1g, with Leitz Elmar 5cm, f3.5 lens at infinity, probably around f9-f12.

Any help appreciated? Should I try it with the FED 5cm lens on it?

Thanks!

RFF-not in focus by David Henderson, on Flickr

RFF-in focus by David Henderson, on Flickr

Old 07-23-2018   #22
farlymac
PF McFarland

Try putting some drag on the rewind knob while winding to the next frame. Could be the tension on the take-up spool is releasing a bit due to worn ratchet. Maybe add a little resistance on the pressure plate as a last resort.

PF

Old 07-23-2018   #23
DH73

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Try putting some drag on the rewind knob while winding to the next frame. Could be the tension on the take-up spool is releasing a bit due to worn ratchet. Maybe add a little resistance on the pressure plate as a last resort.

PF
That's interesting, I hadn't thought of that. The camera has had quite a lot of disturbance around the pressure plate. Time to have a look with a test film loaded.

Old 07-30-2018   #24
kotokot21
Wrenchfinder

Does the Elmar lens tube sit tight in the focusing helical? This issue once happened to me with a collapsible Industar — I was just forgetting to check if it's snap-locked in the expanded position

instagram