Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

Canonet QL-7 GIII shutter speeds slow
Old 03-21-2017   #1
billybob123

Canonet QL-7 GIII shutter speeds slow

I have recently purchased a canonet 1l-17 giii in very good condition. The seller told me the camera has undergone a CLA and had the light meter recalibrated for 1.5V batteries. Being the scientists that I am, I tested the shutter speeds using the dslr approach and found that the shutter speeds were consistently slower that that of my dslr for every given speed. I estimated that it was at least one stop slower on each speed. I have torn down the camera to do my own CLA and have removed the shutter mechanism (with a great deal of struggle) to apply zippo lighter fluid several times to the shutter blades and flywheels using a Q-tip. I then dried (with a blower) and applied a small amount of watch oil to the flywheels, leaving the shutter dry. I believe I am now at the stage to 'adjust' however I can find no obvious way to do that. Is there a point/screw that needs to be tightened to get the shutter firing at the correct speed? I have the service manuals but could not find anything.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Old 03-20-2018   #2
tennis-joe

I have forgotten if this camera takes a battery that is no longer sold in the USA?
But I am also remembering that I might have purchased off of the internet one of the mercury batteries that was used on the camera. Anyway I will shoot a roll of film in the camera next and use the Aperture Priorty.

Old 03-20-2018   #3
davhill
Canon P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-joe View Post
I have forgotten if this camera takes a battery that is no longer sold in the USA?
But I am also remembering that I might have purchased off of the internet one of the mercury batteries that was used on the camera. Anyway I will shoot a roll of film in the camera next and use the Aperture Priorty.
You're correct: It takes a 1.35v Mercury (PX625) cell, which are no longer available in the USA. Most cameras built for the mercury cell don't have the voltage regulators required for the wandering voltage of an alkaline cell, so an alkaline cell is not suitable. An easy replacement is a 1.35v Wein Zinc-air MRB625 cell. Or you could use a 1.4v 675 cell with a sizing adapter...

Cameras: Canon P~Zeiss Ikon Ikonta35~Nikkormat FTN~Fuji X100~
LTM RF Lenses: Canon 1.8/50~Leitz Elmar 3.5/50~KMZ J-8 2/50~LZOS J-12 2.8/35 ~
SLR Lenses; Nikkor 2/50~Nikkor 1.4/50~Zuiko 3.5/50 Macro~...