How badly have I treated my negs?
Old 02-21-2018   #1
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Red face How badly have I treated my negs?

I've been happily developing 4x5 HP5+ in Kodak chemistry, just got done with the latest batch and have realized I have been mixing the photo-flo wrong. I'm using a Stearman daylight tank for four sheets at a time and until I get some darkroom space set up, I do one round a day. (I have to load the tank at night)

And today, while the film was rinsing, I happened to look at the pdf of chemistry solutions I got from Kodak. And realized that I've been mixing the photo-flo at the concentration recommended for hypo...so, 1:4 instead of the 1:200. I have had a cheat sheet of my chems with mixing ratios that I wrote out so I could pin it to the wall above my sink and I must've dropped down a line when "copying" the info for the photo-flo.

Re-wash and the negatives I've processed so far will be ok? They look decent, and aren't obviously damaged or anything.

Important note to self: double check what I'm transcribing!...Then check again.

Thanks,
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 02-21-2018   #2
retinax

I'm surprised you don't have lots of drying marks. Sorry I don't know if it's otherwise harmful to your negs.

Old 02-21-2018   #3
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
I'm surprised you don't have lots of drying marks. Sorry I don't know if it's otherwise harmful to your negs.
I'm working my way through my first box of this film--my first LF negatives as well--so the previous14 or so negs may well have 'em. I haven't done anything to those negs yet since I don't want to make things worse. There has been lots and lots of dust spots but , frankly, I attributed those to the house.

Rob

--Mark Twain

Old 02-21-2018   #4
stompyq

Photoflo is basically Ethylene Glycol and Triton-X in water. Should have no lasting effects on negs. The increased Triton (its a detergent) would have made things a bit more foamier than normal but that's it.

Old 02-21-2018   #5
sepiareverb
genius and moron

If you use PrintFile pages you may have films stick to the pages. I would rewash for a while then re-treat with the correct dilution PhotoFlo. I had a mixing error when I did a big batch of films one day and had films that I had to cut out of the negative page. After washing they were fine.

Old 02-21-2018   #6
Timmyjoe

I'm with Bob on this one. I'd rewash the negs in clean water, then re-PhotoFlo them in the proper mixture. I would think, as heavy as you put it on originally, that you might have left a film on the negs.

Best,
-Tim

Old 02-21-2018   #7
Dwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
I'm with Bob on this one. I'd rewash the negs in clean water, then re-PhotoFlo them in the proper mixture. I would think, as heavy as you put it on originally, that you might have left a film on the negs.

Best,
-Tim
I agree.

You may find a somewhat different dilution works best for you. The nature of your water supply has some influence. As a general rule, you want the weakest solution that successfully keeps the water from beading up on the negs while drying.

Old 02-21-2018   #8
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwig View Post
I agree.

You may find a somewhat different dilution works best for you. The nature of your water supply has some influence. As a general rule, you want the weakest solution that successfully keeps the water from beading up on the negs while drying.
+1 on this. I use half the recommended amount of stock solution here.

Old 02-22-2018   #9
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I have re-washed all my negatives and corrected my crib sheet. Of the four shots I processed yesterday, two were woefully over exposed--a photographer problem, the shutter is fine--and the other two were technically ok but not very good.

Other wise, my processing routine is working well for me. The faucet in my new house is a little more fiddly to adjust for temperature than the one in my last apartment but not horrible but once I do get it set, the temps are pretty consistent.

So, the journey continues. I'd like to think this will be the biggest mistake I'll make but I try not to delude myself in general so I'd bet something else will occur. Though, I really hope not!

Rob

--Mark Twain

Old 02-22-2018   #10
Dogman

The 1:200 dilution of Photoflo is not critical. But 1:4 is definitely outside the norm. Rewashing and another Photoflo bath should be fine. The washing temperature is not as critical as the developer/stop/fix temperatures.

And, yes, you will make mistakes. It's human. Don't get frustrated. If you enjoy the process, keep at it.

Old 02-23-2018   #11
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
The 1:200 dilution of Photoflo is not critical.
I sure hope not. I've never measured it. I'm still using the little tiny bottles of it that I bought years ago, that have little tiny caps. I just pour a few drops of concentrate into the cap to wet the inside, and then mix my photoflo from that. A little dab'll do ya, as the Brylcream ad used to say!

Old 02-23-2018   #12
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I sure hope not. I've never measured it. I'm still using the little tiny bottles of it that I bought years ago, that have little tiny caps. I just pour a few drops of concentrate into the cap to wet the inside, and then mix my photoflo from that. A little dab'll do ya, as the Brylcream ad used to say!
I used a few drops the other day, got stains, re-washed, used less, like 2-3 drops, perfect. Is that normal?!