Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

Old 01-23-2018   #161
rfaspen

Thanks for the prompt. I also need to sit down when I have time. I also need to see how many cards I've received. I have a feeling some got lost in transit.

Old 01-24-2018   #162
Big Ursus

I'd love to, but I still haven't managed to post a photo to RFF - not for lack of searching the thread on how to do that. I can't post if I don't have a Flicker account - is that right?

Old 01-24-2018   #163
krötenblender

Nope, you don't need a Flickr-Account.

If you post via Web-Browser, you can find a button below the text- and smiley-area labeled "Manage Attachments", click it.

A Window should open (if you have configured your browser so that it is allowed to open windows), where you can select either files or web-addresses of an image file. - In the attachment below, all text is in German, because I have a German Browser. Your file must not be larger than 500x500 pixels, so you might need to scale it down with some software, and the filesize must not exceed 500kb, format either jpg or png. After selecting such a file, press "upload" and "Close Window". Now your post should have the image attached. You can check that via "Preview Post" below the text edit area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step1.jpg (31.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-24 um 17.49.58.jpg (24.6 KB, 5 views)

dragonfly
Old 01-24-2018   #164
zane0777

dragonfly

Taken on a warm summer day, the dragonfly was clinging to a wood fence and very nearly dead. This allowed me to get very close with a modest camera (Canon A460) and take a few photos in macro mode. I went to get a better camera but when I returned it was gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fly.jpg (28.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by zane0777 : 01-24-2018 at 09:42. Reason: added camera info

Old 01-25-2018   #165
michaelwj
----------------

This round my postcard was inspired by Roberts Wabi Sabi postcard last round. Also, I wanted to make something that wasn't just printed from Moo or similar (nothing against that, I've just done it a few times already).

So, since I don't have a darkroom or any experience using one, my printed methods were somewhat limited. In the end I decided to make some cyanotypes from a 6x6 negative.

The photos (there were two similar ones to speed up the printing) were taken at Springbrook National Park in South East Queensland Australia the morning after I'd finished a 50km trail running race. The race ended close to where the photo was taken and started on the other side of the furthest mountain in the image. I used a borrowed Yashica Mat 124G and some expired FP4+ developed in R09.

The photos were printed over two afternoons after coating the paper in the morning. Exposure times were changing as the sun was setting, so some of you got a print exposed for the shadows, others for the highlights. Here they all are dying, and a close up of the two different prints.

If anyone didn't get one of mine yet, I might have a few more floating around I can send.

Old 01-25-2018   #166
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
This round my postcard was inspired by Roberts Wabi Sabi postcard last round. Also, I wanted to make something that wasn't just printed from Moo or similar (nothing against that, I've just done it a few times already).

So, since I don't have a darkroom or any experience using one, my printed methods were somewhat limited. In the end I decided to make some cyanotypes from a 6x6 negative.

The photos (there were two similar ones to speed up the printing) were taken at Springbrook National Park in South East Queensland Australia the morning after I'd finished a 50km trail running race. The race ended close to where the photo was taken and started on the other side of the furthest mountain in the image. I used a borrowed Yashica Mat 124G and some expired FP4+ developed in R09.

The photos were printed over two afternoons after coating the paper in the morning. Exposure times were changing as the sun was setting, so some of you got a print exposed for the shadows, others for the highlights. Here they all are dying, and a close up of the two different prints.

If anyone didn't get one of mine yet, I might have a few more floating around I can send.
These caught my eye in the RFF Gallery and thought I might find an explanation here. They look great Michael. I like the photo of all the prints together - the thought occurred to me that if you were to frame them all together like this (perhaps evenly spaced) it would be something I'd expect to see in a gallery. Really nice work.
Flickr

Old 01-26-2018   #167
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I thought your card was very nice, interesting, stimulating. Thanks!

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Lake Photo Postcard
Old 01-26-2018   #168
ColSebastianMoran

Lake Photo Postcard

I'll confess my postcard had two purposes.

I have a house on this beautiful lake. It's Eastman Lake in Grantham NH. We have environmental agreements around the lake to keep it looking pristine. My house is at the lower right corner of the image, and there are homes most everywhere around the shoreline.

Photo was made with a DJI Phantom 3 4K -- Makes 4K video and 12MPx stills, with a very good camera stabilizer. This shot late on a summer afternoon. A bit of post to bring out the warm sky.

Printed 4x6 for the postcard, but I prefer this aspect ratio, 2:1.

Purposes? This postcard round, and to promote our community up here. Give-away at the community center, "Take one, send one."

Thanks all who participated and organized... This postcard round was great fun.

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 01-26-2018   #169
rolfe

I'm spending less and less time in NYC since I retired a couple of years ago and closed my television production company. But when I am there, I usually wander over to Washington Square Park near NYU as there is usually something interesting going on there. There is a group of permanent chess tables that are always in use during the summer and well into the winter months. The characters who inhabit them are always up for a game -- for a price. This photo was taken just after a short summer rain shower, but that wasn't enough to dislodge this regular. Leica M3, 50mm Summicron, Tri-X.

Waiting for a Game
by Rolfe Tessem, on Flickr

Old 01-26-2018   #170
Don Parsons

I had just been to the Louvre when I walked thru the archway on my way back to the Metro Station. These two were busking, playing classical music. I stopped and listened for a while whe a 6 year old girl put a few coins in their case. They started playing the theme from "Beauty and the Beast". The little girl started dancing and when they finished, we all applauded.

https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...7&d=1507474965
Contax G1 w/35, 45 & 90 mm lenses, Canonet QL GIII Bessa R w/Canon 35mm 2.8
Eos 60D, Elan 7E, Nikon FE, FM 8008
Pentax UC-1, Yashica T4S
Panasonic LX-5

Old 02-06-2018   #171
Big Ursus

Hi krötenblender, and thanks very much, but I have a question.

You wrote: " If you post via Web-Browser, you can find a button below the text- and smiley-area labeled "Manage Attachments", click it."

Can you tell me how to post via Web-Browser? I'd appreciate that very much.

Old 02-11-2018   #172
Big Ursus

Chriscrawfordphoto just answered my question about how to post photographs from my hard drive!

So, here are the masked ladies on the steps of Alberta's Provincial Legislature. They might be celebrating the Day of the Dead - but I was too astonished to ask!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edmonton P1020714 for RFF. jpg.jpg (34.8 KB, 13 views)

Old 02-12-2018   #173
robert blu
quiet photographer

Hi Big Ursus, it's a really "surprising" photo. Great!
When we received the photo my wife found it astonishing! Thanks for posting about it, I hope other participants will be encouraged to share their stories :-)
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-12-2018   #174
raid
Dad Photographer

Polaroid Land 250 (Destin Beach, Florida).
A blurry photo that somehow made me choose it for a postcard.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-12-2018   #175
finguanzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
I'm spending less and less time in NYC since I retired a couple of years ago and closed my television production company. But when I am there, I usually wander over to Washington Square Park near NYU as there is usually something interesting going on there. There is a group of permanent chess tables that are always in use during the summer and well into the winter months. The characters who inhabit them are always up for a game -- for a price. This photo was taken just after a short summer rain shower, but that wasn't enough to dislodge this regular. Leica M3, 50mm Summicron, Tri-X.

Waiting for a Game
by Rolfe Tessem, on Flickr
Ah, Ive spent quite a few dollars during my college years playing chess on these tables. They never loose by the way..

Old 02-12-2018   #176
robert blu
quiet photographer

I received today a nice postcard with a beautiful portrait from Singapore! Great, surprises always!
robert

Old 02-12-2018   #177
winzenbourg

My cards are FINALLY going out this weekend, just days before I take off for a few months again. I sent a message to the postcard project group email, though I'm not sure if it's still active as I didn't hear back from anyone (maybe a good thing). So, if your address has changed since the exchange started and you see this, please drop me a note with your new address!

postcard #9
Old 02-12-2018   #178
randolph45

postcard #9

My youngest Daughter was living in Chico Calif in 2014 and she mentioned the city has an annual Snow Goose festival each year in February.
Since Calif is bird migration territory we decided to check out the waterfowl preserve.

Canon 30d 70/[email protected],F8/ ,1/1600 iso500 1/24/2014 6:08 P.M.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Re...%20leaflet.pdf

We also have the Sand Hill Crane Festival just south of us in
Lodi,Ca

https://www.cranefestival.com/index.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3830 (3).jpg (33.0 KB, 7 views)

Old 02-14-2018   #179
Big Ursus

Thanks very much, robert blu. Yes, it was terrific to see them there - it's usually a place full of tourists, or people having their wedding pictures taken!

And winzenbourg, my address hasn't changed. I'd love to get your card!

Old 02-14-2018   #180
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ursus View Post
And winzenbourg, my address hasn't changed. I'd love to get your card!
If you didn't receive my card I'll print an extra copy and send you.
Unfortunately due to a recent accident (broken shoulder) it will take a little time before I am fully operative, be patient please!

robert

Old 02-15-2018   #181
Big Ursus

Wow, Robert - get well soon!

Old 02-17-2018   #182
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I received today a beautiful card from Valentino! Great Surprise!
robert
Thank you Robert,
I take your post as a starting point for the story around my image.

It was on a trip to Vienna last June. As usual we walked too many kilometers through the beautiful city. My main camera was a Fuji X100 but this evening also the spare battery was completely drained when we came to the Michaelerplatz in the 1st district with very impressive marble made fountains.

One of those is called Macht zu Lande (lit. the force ashore) and the fallen giant around the fountain had a very dramatic look which catched instantly my eye.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macht_zu_Lande

As we often say in this forum: the best camera is the one you carry on. In this case it was my smartphone with still enough power. This is also my 1st published print with a smartphone as source.

I shot the image with my Apple iPhone 6S @ f2.2 1/100 sec. Postprocessing and print preparation was done with some cropping, conversion to b/w and contrast adjustment to a TIF file. All of this with IrfanViw. File was sent for print to moo.com.

As usual the outcome of these postcard projects is exciting, given the different tools and print workflows used for the cards. Thank you all for your effort.

Valentino
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17016.774w.jpg (95.0 KB, 10 views)

Old 02-17-2018   #183
raid
Dad Photographer

Hello Robert,
I hope that your shoulder is not broken!

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-02-2018   #184
motion_runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I received today a nice postcard with a beautiful portrait from Singapore! Great, surprises always!
robert
I would love to get that postcard from Singapore as well.

Old 03-03-2018   #185
paapoopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion_runner View Post
I would love to get that postcard from Singapore as well.
hmmm, i should have sent out all my postcard sometime back. I hope it wasn't lost in the transit. let me know it still didn't arrived.

Old 03-15-2018   #186
Zmuda

Wow!! Would love to get in on the next round of this great project if another one gets ran!! Fantastic idea and it's so great to see it come together. So often on other forums or groups half the people end up bailing out and the whole project is in shambles. Nice to see that not happen here!

Old 03-18-2018   #187
igzabeher

Robert - I hope your shoulder is better.

I included the story of my photo on the back of the postcard, but here it is again. For our honeymoon, my wife and I initially planned on visiting Croatia (nearly top to bottom) and Sicily (almost circumnavigating) with a brief stopover in Rome before coming home. Because we can't be trusted when traveling, we added day trips to Bosnia and Montenegro. Through a series of (un)fortunate events, our tickets got screwed up, which resulted in us theoretically having another day in Rome, and about 18 hours or so in Vienna, before coming home. Wandering around that night, we came across this hot dog stand.

Happy Noodles Hot Dog Stand Vienna_Olympus_OM_4Ti_Ilford XP2 Super 400 by reggie miller, on Flickr

Old 03-28-2018   #188
krötenblender

Hello all,

sorry for the long silence here... I was just too busy.

Now, this was a nice round as always and I think, most cards arrived for me.
I organized this round partially remote while being on a three months tour in Japan (which was way too short!). I'm really in love with that country, it's culture and the people, and so my choice of a picture for my postcards was also from Japan. It was a shot made during Sanja Matsuri, one of the great summer festivals in Japan.

Sanja Matsuri takes place in Tokyo/Asakusa at the great Sensō-ji Shrine.In just three days there literally millions of people visiting the festival. I love the atmosphere and the friendliness of the people, although it is one of the "wilder" festivals in Japan (there are, however, some really wild ones...). The picture was made during the portable shrines (the mikoshi) were carried through the streets and while the people are usually pretty exhausted after a short time (the mikoshi are really heavy and it is hot), they are happy and friendly at the same time. Eye contact and a few friendly words are always easy there.

For me, the picture visualizes the lively and good mood of the festival. I was there for Sanja Matsuri (and other festivals) a few times already. In May the next Sanja Matsuri takes place, and I'm there again. Can't get enough...

Old 03-28-2018   #189
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmuda View Post
Wow!! Would love to get in on the next round of this great project if another one gets ran!! Fantastic idea and it's so great to see it come together. So often on other forums or groups half the people end up bailing out and the whole project is in shambles. Nice to see that not happen here!
If there enough people interested, I will announce a next round at the beginning of May. Just subscribe to this thread and I will post here a link to the new rounds thread.

Best Regards,
Stephan

Old 03-29-2018   #190
Zmuda

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by krötenblender View Post
If there enough people interested, I will announce a next round at the beginning of May. Just subscribe to this thread and I will post here a link to the new rounds thread.

Best Regards,
Stephan
Sounds great and I'll be on the lookout for the next round

first time no show
Old 04-03-2018   #191
randolph45

first time no show

Quote:
Originally Posted by krötenblender View Post
Hello all,

sorry for the long silence here... I was just too busy.

Now, this was a nice round as always and I think, most cards arrived for me.
I organized this round partially remote while being on a three months tour in Japan (which was way too short!). I'm really in love with that country, it's culture and the people, and so my choice of a picture for my postcards was also from Japan. It was a shot made during Sanja Matsuri, one of the great summer festivals in Japan.

Sanja Matsuri takes place in Tokyo/Asakusa at the great Sensō-ji Shrine.In just three days there literally millions of people visiting the festival. I love the atmosphere and the friendliness of the people, although it is one of the "wilder" festivals in Japan (there are, however, some really wild ones...). The picture was made during the portable shrines (the mikoshi) were carried through the streets and while the people are usually pretty exhausted after a short time (the mikoshi are really heavy and it is hot), they are happy and friendly at the same time. Eye contact and a few friendly words are always easy there.

For me, the picture visualizes the lively and good mood of the festival. I was there for Sanja Matsuri (and other festivals) a few times already. In May the next Sanja Matsuri takes place, and I'm there again. Can't get enough...

Stephen
Your Card was a no show here,first time your card has not shown up In Sacramento.

Old 04-10-2018   #192
Big Ursus

Hi Stephan,
Thanks very much for your kind offer. Yes, I'm certainly interested in another exchange!

Old 04-12-2018   #193
jkcampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darshan View Post
One of my cards that I addressed to John returned to be, address sticker unfortunately gone. I can't figure out if it was for John Campbell or John Weber. Can one of you please respond if you did or did not get my postcard? I will mail out another one. Thank you.
Hi Darshan, it's John Campbell, I did get your postcard so it's probably John Weber that didn't. Thanks

Old 04-14-2018   #194
jkcampbell

Great project, can't wait till the next round!

Here's the background on my image. I was heading out to South Dakota for a photo workshop. Passing through a small town, can't remember the name, I spotted this old drive-in restaurant painted with bright colors. The restaurant wasn't open so I walked around, shot a few snaps and got back on the road. Here's the image I used for the postcard plus a couple others I took at the same time. The images were shot with a Panasonic GF1 and an adapted C-Mount lens off a security camera. Cheers! jc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg South-Dakota-1a.jpg (33.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg South-Dakota-2a.jpg (50.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg South-Dakota-3a.jpg (49.3 KB, 5 views)

Old 07-08-2018   #195
krötenblender

Hello all,

it took me longer, than promised, but here it is, the next round in a new thread! Please join and have some great postcards exchanged with other members!

Let's make postcards great again!

Postcard Project Nr. 10