Old 12-07-2016   #41
daveywaugh
Blah

I'll reaffirm what many others here have been saying about the 100 variety...

It's overall pretty nice but definitely a bit 'flat', grain is more than you'd expect from a 100, it looks a bit more 'classic old skool' and does seems like it has slightly less latitude than other common 100 speed films.

In 100ft rolls it's cheap as. I personally rate it at 50 and develop in XTOL for 8 minutes with slightly more agitation than normal.

Old 12-08-2016   #42
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
Elsewhere on this forum, it was mentioned Kentmere 400 was recently reformulated.

True?

If yes, when? And what changed?

Thanks!
I wasn't excited about K400 three years ago, RPX400 I have now from 2015 is about the same. But K400 from this year batch is satisfactory.
Just still not as good as HP5+ @1600.
Kentmere 400 is classic ISO 400 film for daylight to shot at 1/500-1/1000 with f8-f11.

Old 12-11-2016   #43
Waus

For people interested in buying Kentmere film: macodirect has an 'advent calender' and today there is a 15% discount on all Kentmere products!
https://www.macodirect.de/en/sale/advent-calendar/

Old 01-11-2018   #44
kiemchacsu

Pop up the thread again to ask,
if anybody knows what happened to Kentmere film supply?
I am talking about 100' roll, to be precise.
I've been waiting for a month since last time I visited BH website to order.
Still dont know when it wil be available again on their warehouse.
I dont want to switch to other sites as either they charge higher or tax is imposed or shipping cost is not free.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 01-11-2018   #45
mooge

I dunno, but I bought a 100' roll of K400 last week and got it yesterday...

Old 01-12-2018   #46
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooge View Post
I dunno, but I bought a 100' roll of K400 last week and got it yesterday...

Yes k400 was available last week or so, but now also is back ordered as k100, which I want to buy.
I decided to get fomapan 100 and k400 bulk from Adorama instead and pay extra 10$ for shipping. Can’t wait for B&H any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RF
F

Old 01-17-2018   #47
Scottboarding

I'm a huge fan of Kentmere 100. I was looking at cheaper options for black and white films and planned on trying out the 400 speed one, and figured I'd throw in two rolls of the 100 for the heck of it. I actually really enjoy it, and I could go as far as to say that it's my favorite black and white film. I don't shoot it super often as I typically push 400 speed film to 800 or 1600, but I'm always pleased with the results I get when I shoot it. Pushing it to 200 looks really nice too!

Old 01-17-2018   #48
Ccoppola82

I haven't shot it enough to give a comprehensive review, but I found the emulsion to be softer and easier to scratch. It did lay perfectly flat for scanning if that said important. I may try it again someday, but hp5 has become my go to 400 and for the extra 1$ per roll, it's worth it to me. My time I saw more valuable than the few bucks I save and I would be pretty upset if I lost images due to scratches etc. Then again, maybe I got a bad batch

Old 01-17-2018   #49
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Or different fixer? Some fixers are soft, some with hardener added, some with hardner in the separate bottle.

Old 01-19-2018   #50
Jon Buffington

I am finding kentmere 400 @ 800 in diafine to be a magical combination! I highly recommend it. This is after about 3-400' of 400 developed in hc110 and d76.

Old 01-19-2018   #51
mconnealy

Take a look at what Rick Drawbridge has done with Kentmere 100 in PMK Pyro.
I haven't achieved his level of excellence yet, but I'm pleased with my progress.

Bel Air by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

Old 01-22-2018   #52
Jon Buffington

Kentmere 400 @ 800 in diafine. Leica M5, 90/4 elmar

Old 01-22-2018   #53
Jon Buffington

And one more, kentmere 400 @ 800 in diafine, M5, canon 50/1.8ltm

Old 01-23-2018   #54
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Buffington View Post
And one more, kentmere 400 @ 800 in diafine, M5, canon 50/1.8ltm
I never get this fine grain with kentmere 400, Diafine really makes the different here.
I only have HC-110 and Agfa G74C at the moment unluckily

RF
F

Old 01-24-2018   #55
Jon Buffington

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
I never get this fine grain with kentmere 400, Diafine really makes the different here.
I only have HC-110 and Agfa G74C at the moment unluckily
hc110 was my mainstay for this film, have lots of it. Recently got a bunch of diafine and figured I would try the k 400 out as a high speed film for the low winter light. I have found that [email protected] in diafine is a great combo!

Old 01-24-2018   #56
leicapixie

Kentmere is not, most surely not, Ilford.
The 400 is gritty speed about 200(my developing HC-110 1:50 6/300).
Grainy, gritty and dries FLAT unlike Kodak junk!
Pushes nice for my look.
The 100 speed is really nice and speed about 200!
Way finer grain, nice tones, not as easy to burn highlights.
Its available at good price.
Do not compare to HP+5, or FP-4.
Do not forget it is flat when dry.

Old 01-24-2018   #57
presspass
filmshooter

I've been shooting Kentmere 400 as my standard film for about a year. Developed in D-23 either 1:1 or straight, it gives results that are a genuine 400 and both wet print and scan well. Within the next couple of weeks, I will be trying some at 1600, either developing with D-23 or Diafine. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-24-2018   #58
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

K400 @1600 hcB.

Old 01-24-2018   #59
f16sunshine

Excellent Ko! ^^^^
What a catch!

Old 01-24-2018   #60
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Thank you, Andy!
This film was enough to be pushed @1600, but with digital I had to push much more.

Old 01-24-2018   #61
f16sunshine

I've just begun to use k400.
Here is one at 1600 developed in Tmax Dev 1:7
I like the film when given enough exposure.... I want a bit of grain when I use 135 and it does not disappoint.
Scanned here with a Pakon 135+ which leaves a sort of sepia tone by default... I left it as scanned.
Eos EF50mm stm
eos7ne ef50 [email protected] by Adnan, on Flickr

Old 01-24-2018   #62
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Buffington View Post
I am finding kentmere 400 @ 800 in diafine to be a magical combination! I highly recommend it. This is after about 3-400' of 400 developed in hc110 and d76.
Hmm. Thats strange. I tried Kentmere 100 with Diafine and it was terrible. Worst combination of film+developer I've tried (this includes orwo 100 + rodinal)

Old 01-24-2018   #63
joeswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
I've just begun to use k400.
Here is one at 1600 developed in Tmax Dev 1:7
I like the film when given enough exposure.... I want a bit of grain when I use 135 and it does not disappoint.
Scanned here with a Pakon 135+ which leaves a sort of sepia tone by default... I left it as scanned.
Eos EF50mm stm
Highlights and shadows did suffer a bit in this example, as could be expected due to the lighting situation and the push processing. But the midtone contrast (hair/facial skintones) is still quite nice and not overly contrasty.
Did you use the scanner defaults in the Pakon software or have you tried to tame the highlights a bit by adjusting brightness and contrast down before saving? In my experience the Pakon software generally does a decent job with the default setting, but when it comes to push processed film (mostly [email protected] in my case) and large brightness range I usually have to adjust brightness and contrast down in the preview window to avoid clipping. After doing that, I am often surprised to find that areas that appeared to be blown beyond recovery on first sight actually still held good tonal separation and that a lot of seemingly lost highlight information can be recovered. I have come to prefer the look of pushed K400 over that of pushed Tri-X. Of course a lot depends on the developer (Xtol 1+1 in my case) and also on the type of subject.

Old 01-24-2018   #64
joeswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Hmm. Thats strange. I tried Kentmere 100 with Diafine and it was terrible. Worst combination of film+developer I've tried (this includes orwo 100 + rodinal)
Why? Two different films, so I cannot see why they should not give different results in the same developer ...

Old 01-24-2018   #65
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeswe View Post
Why? Two different films, so I cannot see why they should not give different results in the same developer ...
True. I guess I lumped in 400 with the 100 since they are both by kentmere. I will try the 400 emulsion and see how it compares to TriX+diafine.

Old 01-24-2018   #66
f16sunshine

Hi Joe

I do actually the same as you when scanning. Pulling the "brightness" down in the PSI software.
It varies from one roll to another as the Pakon scans the entire roll with the same exposure set.

K400 is not a film I would reach for for controlling all elements of any given exposure.
But then, when I use 135 I'm not usually looking for anything near perfect.
Interesting that you prefer K400 over tri-x for pushing.
I'll have to see how it goes. This was only the second roll iirc.
I'm a bit afraid of what the grain is going to look like with Rodinal 1:50 which is my other developer

Old 01-24-2018   #67
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Andy, it looks great! Tones, small grain and sharp. I can't get it this good even on K100 .

Old 01-24-2018   #68
f16sunshine

Thank you Kostya.
I credit Tmax developer for the controlled grain.
It's top shelf in my experience for grain/speed/sharpness.
The developer I use when pushing beyond Box speed.
This one was 1:7 as I was short of the concentrate to mix 1:4 which is my usual Tmax soup.
Some find it expensive but if one considers that a gallon batch of TmaxDev 1:4 can be re-used for 10 rolls at normal times and another 10 at 25% extra time... the cost is quite reasonable considering the outcome.
It is still more costly than Rodinal and lacks some of that "sparkly" grainy bite that says... Film!

Old 01-24-2018   #69
joeswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Hi Joe

I do actually the same as you when scanning. Pulling the "brightness" down in the PSI software.
It varies from one roll to another as the Pakon scans the entire roll with the same exposure set.
Not sure, I think this is only true if you have checked the option "portrait mode" somewhere in the settings menu. Normally Pakon should determine the exposure independently for every single frame. Then, I have a preset for scanning b+w of about -5 brightness and -5 contrast. That usually gives me files that do not show any clipping in shadows or highlights. Except for very contrasty scenes from pushed film as mentioned which requires additional intervention. I have to say I don't do a lot of post editing with these Pakon files, just save them for future reference as digital proofs, as I love darkroom work much better than sitting in front of a computer display So I will normaly go through the Pakon scans and pick the frames that I really like and later wet print them in the darkroom.

BTW, I have a second Pakon (same model) which requires different presets to get the same results. A bit strange.

What I prefer about pushed K400 is not so much the grain (Tri-X may be finer) but the tonality of the midtones. But I admit I haven't done any direct comparison and haven't shot any Tri-X in some years.

Old 01-24-2018   #70
steveyork

In my experience, for the "inexpensive" B&W films, Kentmere has a modern, Ilford look, and Fomapan (Arista) is more retro.

I've only shot a bit of Kentmere (a brick), developed in Rodinal, standing developing, and received good results.

I shoot mostly the Fompan, although I have 200' of Kentmere 100 in the freezer.

Old 01-24-2018   #71
Jon Buffington

Hey Andy, you probably know this but if not, in PSI click options, more options, cool and the sepia is gone.
Back on topic, very good push with the tmax developer. I have an unopened bottle here I may have to give kentmere a try with.

For stompyg, I have not tried k100 with diafine but extensively with hc110 and d-76, both give beautiful tones. K100 is an excellent film! My only complaints is the emulsion seems to be soft, I seem to get scratches consistently with it when shooting with my M5. Thought I may need to send it in but I do not get this problem with delta, hp5, triX, fp4, etc. Just k100. Don't get this scratch in other cameras. Very weird.

Old 01-24-2018   #72
Jon Buffington

Few more k400 @ 800 in diafine, pakon f135+ scanned for those that care. Leica CL, 40 summicron. All recent, from this winter.