Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

It looks like I might need another film RF...
Old 01-10-2018   #1
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It looks like I might need another film RF...

I just wrote today in Canadian Leica Photos of Canada thread how everything is cheeky and rosy in my M land... New scanner, plenty of film.

I started to scan Montreal Nov 2017 negatives I haven't print from yet and... the M4-2 light leak is crippling back. It didn't lasted long after second repair.

I'm about to sell it as is with problem(s) disclosure. If I sell it at all... I don't like to send it for another 280 USD to get it done, plus, at least curtains or else cost. I might keep it as spare camera and keep on saving for repair. But then I'm about to sell M3, because I'm not 50 guy and I have good 50 on working (and fixable) FSU. And my forte is with Summarit-M 35 2.5.

What is most durable film M for 35 in 2018? M4 Wetzlar or any as new as possible M?

Or just back to Bessa with R2A or R3A and run it until paint will be lost at corners, ribber grip will be scratched all over and shutter blades will show some wear. This is what I did with mint R last time within couple of years.

I'm not gear abuser, I just like to use one trusted and not cumbersome camera, lens few times per week, every week and keep it in my bag all the time with me.

Old 01-10-2018   #2
splitimageview

They are all essentially the same durability if they have been well-cared for (I.e., haven’t been abused) and have been serviced within a recent time frame by a competent tech.

Nearly any camera can easily sustain that amount of regular use.

Old 01-10-2018   #3
farlymac
PF McFarland

What is the nature of the leak, Ko? Is it a holed curtain?

PF

Old 01-10-2018   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
What is the nature of the leak, Ko? Is it a holed curtain?

PF
No idea. Some users have it fixed by main light shield replacement (where curtains are). But I was told what in my case, if it comes back, it is curtains. Yet, similar light leak was reported not been fixed by curtains replacement..

Old 01-10-2018   #5
f16sunshine

Ha!
M’s can be like high maintenance girlfriends!

Jokes aside..
Better to keep and repair than sell and buy another that will need a repair.
Maintanence is repairs that must be continually done.
Whether it 100 or 1000 rolls bewteen repairs... It is what it is with mechanical things.

Old 01-10-2018   #6
mcfingon
Western Australia

I'm finding my M6 a very natural 35 lens camera Kostya. Quick and easy. My 35 is the Zeiss Biogon 35/2.

Old 01-11-2018   #7
Mute-on

Well, for a 35mm lens, there’s the M2, and then there’s everything else.

There’s a reason why Tom A had so many of them. You owe it to yourself to try an M2. It’s the purest, simplest of all the M cameras, and built like a vault.

IMO, of course

Old 01-11-2018   #8
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
You owe it to yourself to try an M2. It’s the purest, simplest of all the M cameras, and built like a vault.

IMO, of course
The MD-A is purer, simpler and more vault like.

Not having an rf mechanism or vf guarantees that. Most reliable Leica ever.

Old 01-11-2018   #9
stompyq

I like my M4 with 35mm lenses

Old 01-11-2018   #10
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
Well, for a 35mm lens, there’s the M2, and then there’s everything else.

There’s a reason why Tom A had so many of them. You owe it to yourself to try an M2. It’s the purest, simplest of all the M cameras, and built like a vault.

IMO, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
The MD-A is purer, simpler and more vault like.

Not having an rf mechanism or vf guarantees that. Most reliable Leica ever.

Where is some mystery in my memory for this particular matter. While Bodo (ex-Midland ELC technician) was still with us I remember one M2 ELC (according to serial number) for sale from him, which was modified from no RF model. It has added RF, but frames where not switching (it was the reason why I didn't wanted it).

Old 01-11-2018   #11
Gregm61

Holes in M-shutter curtains can be all-too easy to happen no matter the film body/model. The camera just needs to be slung over the shoulder and exposed to the sun long enough for an uncovered lens to magnify the sunlight at the cloth curtain long enough to do the deed. I think about it all the time when I'm outdoors with my M4 or M6. Fortunately, it's a non-issue with the M262.

Old 01-11-2018   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Holes from sun exposure doesn't looks as my M4-2 light leak.
I have burned curtain by sun exposure in FED-2 just within couple of minutes with J-3 wide open on sun and snow day.
With FED-2 it costs nothing to replace. I have shutter cloth material and it is DIY.
But M4-2 both curtains replacement is going to cost me around 500 USD. I need to sell something I don't need and keep on saving to do it.

Old 01-11-2018   #13
ktmrider

I would suggest getting in touch with Youxin Ye. Not only is he very reasonable for repair (as well as super fast) but he usually has M's for sale. Perhaps you could work out a partial trade for one of his CLA'ed cameras.

As an aside, I am thinking of picking up a digital M (probably used 240) and I have too many cameras already. I am thinking of keeping my M5 as my film body.

Old 01-11-2018   #14
f16sunshine

Sunholes
Another reason the M5 is the best M.
The meter cel protects the curtains from Sunholes when it’s in place.
Advance frame On M5 and Sunhole protection is engaged..... Sounds so sci-fy
Maybe you’re an M5 person. Won’t know until you try one.

Old 01-11-2018   #15
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Thank you all for support, offers and info!

Will see how my M3 sale goes and what I'll be able to afford after and if it will be sold....

I'm going to check M4-2 with single use canister films.
I can't see this light leak on slide film, which I exposed and developed after Montreal exposures with light leak on re-loadable cassettes with bulk film. I exposed this slide film mostly on sunny days, this is then this light leak shows up.

Old 01-11-2018   #16
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Thank you all for support, offers and info!

Will see how my M3 sale goes and what I'll be able to afford after and if it will sold....

I'm going to check M4-2 with single use canister films.
I can't see this light leak on slide film, which I exposed and developed after Montreal exposures with light leak on re-loadable cassettes with bulk film. I exposed this slide film mostly on sunny days, this is then this light leak shows up.
That may be your answer right there. It could be your re-loadables need the felts replaced.

PF

Old 01-12-2018   #17
Hatchetman

I would contact DAG (Don Goldberg). That guy did some outstanding work for me recently.

Old 01-12-2018   #18
leicapixie

I fully understand about the Leitzleaks.
In plain English, I am thoroughly sick of all the maintenance,
My M3 leaks light when (now never) I change lenses.
It might be the shutter, the guide rails, some baffle.
It seems it is always there, even after services.
Find a body, it matters little which one.
Just one without these problems.

I love my Leicas but truth tell, my most reliable cameras were Pentax Spotmatics ( now all without meter) or my K-1000.
Professional use in severe coditions of dust, dirt, smoke and flying debris, stone, bricks and bullets..
The SP meters finall stopped but my Leica meter was finished 3 years after new purchase, always a problem.

I am retired and a huge repair bill for possibilities of fixing light leak, NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Use the Bessas. All the best.

Old 01-16-2018   #19
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

UPD: M3 is gone locally. For same price I have purchased it locally two years ago. So, now with cash, my only option is to buy locally. I checked how much is new Bessa locally. R2M is 1149 CAD before taxes. It is close to 1K$ USD before taxes and 1050 USD after taxes...

I have a funny feeling what my best option is to get 28 and 35 viewfinders and use my Zorki as second, if not main film RF camera with J-3 (I already have Leica VF for it), Jupiter-12 and Ultron 28 1.9. I already have usable VF for 35 and it worked with Orion-15 as well. But it is crappy DIY from crapped out XA.

And for 1K$ CAD I could locally purchase used Canon 6D FF DLSR and use it while M-E will be for long time in service. And sell it slightly less after M-E is back.

It seems to be most practical and boring solution.

Old 01-16-2018   #20
Deardorff38

An M2 with a 35mm is unbeatable in my books. One of my all time favourites.
There are R2M offered in Japan with free shipping for under $700 Cdn.

Old 01-16-2018   #21
skopar steve

If you want to stay with a Canadian Leica, here is a nice one.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ph...456003747.html

Old 01-16-2018   #22
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

My "problem" is I have cash (a.k.a banknotes) now and it is easier to buy locally. ...

Old 01-16-2018   #23
retinax

As an alternative to the Zorki, how about a Canon 7, P or something? Lever advance, internal 35 framelines, no accessory shoe though on the 7. If I needed one, honestly I'd just glue one on it with a glue than can be dissolved if need be. Much less need of maintenance than Leicas it seems. And metal curtains. They cost less than a little maintenance work on a Leica.

Old 01-16-2018   #24
stompyq

Quote:
UPD: M3 is gone locally. For same price I have purchased it locally two years ago. So, now with cash, my only option is to buy locally. I checked how much is new Bessa locally. R2M is 1149 CAD before taxes. It is close to 1K$ USD before taxes and 1050 USD after taxes...

I have a funny feeling what my best option is to get 28 and 35 viewfinders and use my Zorki as second, if not main film RF camera with J-3 (I already have Leica VF for it), Jupiter-12 and Ultron 28 1.9. I already have usable VF for 35 and it worked with Orion-15 as well. But it is crappy DIY from crapped out XA.

And for 1K$ CAD I could locally purchase used Canon 6D FF DLSR and use it while M-E will be for long time in service. And sell it slightly less after M-E is back.

Why not buy a Sony A7/A7r/A7s and adapters for your existing lenses

Old 01-16-2018   #25
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

How much of a backlog do you have of undeveloped rolls that may exhibit the light leak? Sorry to hear about that.

There's a decent-looking M2 in Toronto on Kijiji right now:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...ationFlag=true

Old 01-16-2018   #26
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

CapitanK, no backlogs! Only four reusable cassettes are loaded with not exposed film. I developed C-41 single use roll yesterday, exposed during sunny days and can't see the light leak with loupe, but haven't scanned it, yet.
Yes, M2 looks good, but how long it will lasts before it needs CLA just like my M4-2 was needed. I'm still more into buying fresh or new Bessa instead.

Retinax, Canon 7 is even bigger than FED5 is Maybe just P.

Stompyq, I can't stand A7 EVF, getting motion sick. And I hate EVF in the middle.

Old 01-16-2018   #27
Fjäll

M2 indeed. The Leica aficionados camera body of choice besides perhaps the M3. A personal favorite focal length is 35mm. I went with the M4-P. Not a lesser camera in any way. I just like to have a newer camera and a hot shoe. I do prefer black cameras too. Not as expensive as its counterparts.

Old 01-16-2018   #28
pesphoto

R2A, 35 1.4 ...best bang for your buck...I wore mine out and am about to by another one.

Old 01-16-2018   #29
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
R2A, 35 1.4 ...best bang for your buck...I wore mine out and am about to by another one.
Did camera lasted for five years or less?

Old 01-16-2018   #30
pesphoto

oh its still shootable after about 5 years, it'll be a backup...
needs an alignment, the covering is peeling badly, a corner is broken off where I dropped it, etc.

Old 01-16-2018   #31
pesphoto

...that's with heavy, daily use...

I never could get comfortable with bottom loading with Leica...The R2A has everything that makes shooting so easy and quick..

Old 01-16-2018   #32
Axel

+1 for the repair of your M4-2.

Old 01-16-2018   #33
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
oh its still shootable after about 5 years, it'll be a backup...
needs an alignment, the covering is peeling badly, a corner is broken off where I dropped it, etc.
Thank you! This sounds as reasonable wear amount. I had R for couple of years.

Old 01-16-2018   #34
jsrockit

Have you looked at the Hexar RF?

Old 01-16-2018   #35
Doug

The Hexar RF is a really excellent camera. Imagine a Leica M6, add AE exposure with AE lock, motorized film wind/rewind, finder shutter speed display, and an electronic metal shutter with a wider speed range. Or, consider a larger Minolta CLE with AE lock, metered manual, a wider shutter speed range, and motorized film advance -- but without the TTL flash. I have two of them, one Titanium and one black as above.

Old 01-16-2018   #36
michaelwj
----------------

Sorry to hear the problem has returned. I sometimes get light leaks through the felt of me reloadable cassettes, the pattern is very distinctive and only happens on the first few frames (usually the leader anyway). The light that gets through cannot go through too many layers of film once it has gone past the felt. Of course I don't leave the canisters in the sun.

If the C41 roll comes out okay, maybe you just need to replace your cassettes? Maybe try and hunt down some IXMOO cassettes?

If you want to change the camera, I like the M4, some were made in Canada (but not at a nice price to the buyer). And it must be a Canadian camera, you can't stop your thread!

Old 01-16-2018   #37
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:

Practical and boring sounds boring. Might as well buy the cheapest digital SLR with a kit lens if you want to be boring, no need to spend $1000.

Old 01-16-2018   #38
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Michael, you are right! I already have old trusty DSLR which works fine. ISO is little bit noisy at 3200/6400 but nothing too bad.

Well, out of the blue sky fellow Canadian RFF member came to my rescue. From West Coast to East Coast work is now in the progress. Will keep our board updated.

The 2018 RFF Miracle!
Old 01-19-2018   #39
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

The 2018 RFF Miracle!

This week was most peculiar 2018 week so far.
It started with sale of M3 on this Monday. I was not able to sell it in 2017. No regrets after sale, but needed another type of RF as I described in OP.
My short frustration, getting ready to wait for unknown time and realizing what I need to add more money was cut short on Tuesday. I was offered NiB R2M. The owner (RFF member) and his spouse made shipping quick and even paid extra for XPress Canada Post shipping on Wednesday. Due to the great shipping distance (across Canada) it was scheduled for next week Tuesday. But Canada Post picked up the tune and did the miracle again. It came this Friday morning! With free perks included!!! Only because seller and RFF member was so generous to me I'm able to have it all:

Oh Canada... and friendly RFF!

Old 01-19-2018   #40
f16sunshine

Hey great! Looks like a Mr Zhou 1/2 case. Those are very nice!
Congrats on a new Bessa!