Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Rollei 3.5F repair?
Old 11-26-2017   #1
twopointeight

Rollei 3.5F repair?

I have a 3.5F Planar that works fine despite the back, (the part that contains the pressure plate), being slightly bent. Again, it doesn't effect picture taking in any way. Images are tack sharp. Still I wonder if this rear peice could be straightened? Anyone has experience in this kind of repair?

Old 11-26-2017   #2
Dan Daniel

How is it bent? Crimps in the side wall? Not at 90 degrees? Twisted?

Old 11-26-2017   #3
f16sunshine

There are new back doors available out there.
If it’s your user and you have no ill effects rom the existing door, why mess with it?

Old 11-27-2017   #4
twopointeight

Back door is slightly pressed in but the pressure plate has some spring to it, so that's why it doesn't appear to affect the negatives. But I also noticed that it pops open after I unlatch the back. My other Rolleiflex doesn't do that. Which tells me that some adjustment/straightening could be done?

Old 11-27-2017   #5
Dan Daniel

Well, if it isn't truly crimped or deformed with bends or such, you can very gently reshape the 90 degree bend and any side to side twisting by hand. When the back is closed, are the edges snug to the silver band around the body? This is the major guide.

It's pretty much a touch operation, holding large areas of the back so that bending is spread evenly. If you've shaped metals by hand you'll know what to do. Remember that aluminum doesn't need very much stressing/overbending to take a new shape.

Rolleiflex repair alternatives
Old 11-27-2017   #6
stompyq

Rolleiflex repair alternatives

I have a Rolleiflex 3.5F in very good condition. Unfortunately the transport needs some work and the focus is a little off. I got quoted close to $800 for the repair from My Fleenor. As much as I like his excellent work that's a little much for me considering I have already over paid for the camera. What are the alternatives? I have been debating Nippon Camera repair (they quoted $250 which is much more palatable) but have no experiance using them for Rolleiflex's. Would really like some opinions and personal experiences. I'm not sending this to Fleenor. At that price I might as well just sell it on ebay for parts and cut my losses

Old 11-27-2017   #7
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

I have an excellent Rolleiflex repair guy, factory authorized back in the day.

They look simple, but are oddly very complicated to work on. Rolleiflex TLR quotes without inspecting the camera are often not very accurate.

For that reason we need to inspect it to give you a quote.

Stephen

Old 11-27-2017   #8
Huss

$800 seems unusually high. Harry Fleenor did two CLAs for me for less than $400 each (still not exactly cheap but it is skilled work)

You could try Steve's Camera in Culver City. They fixed my 2.8GX.

Old 11-27-2017   #9
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
I have an excellent Rolleiflex repair guy, factory authorized back in the day.

They look simple, but are oddly very complicated to work on. Rolleiflex TLR quotes without inspecting the camera are often not very accurate.

For that reason we need to inspect it to give you a quote.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen. Trying to keep things local which is why I'm looking at Nippon. I didn't know you do Rolleiflex repairs so will keep you in mind when I finally do decide.

Old 11-27-2017   #10
aizan

that is pretty high. i take it you mailed the rollei to him for inspection and an estimate?

how about bill moretz (procameraus.com) in charlottesville? rolleiflex usa have them on their recommendations.

Old 11-27-2017   #11
rolfe

It sounds to me as though Harry is factoring in some expensive parts replacement, which is consistent with your description of the problems...

He has done both a flex and a cord for me and neither was anywhere close to that price.

Rolfe

Old 11-27-2017   #12
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
that is pretty high. i take it you mailed the rollei to him for inspection and an estimate?

how about bill moretz (procameraus.com) in charlottesville? rolleiflex usa have them on their recommendations.

Let's be honest here, that is crazy high, unless there is something seriously wrong with that camera and it needs new parts etc.

Old 11-27-2017   #13
taemo

Give Horst Wenzel a call in Vancouver, Canada.
(604) 263-5820

He serviced my Rollei 2.8E and friends 2.8E and F at a reasonable price.

Old 11-27-2017   #14
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Let's be honest here, that is crazy high, unless there is something seriously wrong with that camera and it needs new parts etc.
No and that's the part I don't get. His quote, bills for the shutter CLA, transport, and adjustment of focus/standard, frame counter repair. Some minor fixes also but no replacement parts. The camera worked fine for me and the transport issue was more of a inconvenience than a problem. It just gradually deteriorated and now is messed up that I have missed frames. The focus is somehow also off (since the missed frame thing happened). His prices are standard. The prices quoted for shutter and transport were what I paid when i got my 2.8E repaired. There's just a bunch of additional stuff with this camera, all billed at what looks like standard pricing. Nothing specific. Frankly the 2.8E I sent him was completely stuck. Shutter didn't work and transport was not moving. And I paid less than half the quote for this one

Old 11-27-2017   #15
f16sunshine

Did you ask Harry why the quote was so much more than expected?
Maybe he miss quoted you. $800 is out of whack even for his high demand business.
You may want to just get him on the phone and ask him.

How heavily used (up) is your camera? Unless dropped or otherwise physically damaged... the transport can use tuning but otherwise should not require significant parts.
I've never had a transport issue beyond a bit of squeakiness and spacing requiring adjustment.

A complete tear down and reassembly is usually around $400.

Old 11-27-2017   #16
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
Give Horst Wenzel a call in Vancouver, Canada.
(604) 263-5820

He serviced my Rollei 2.8E and friends 2.8E and F at a reasonable price.
Don't really want to go international. Too many issues

Old 11-27-2017   #17
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Did you ask Harry why the quote was so much more than expected?
Maybe he miss quoted you. $800 is out of whack even for his high demand business.
You may want to just get him on the phone and ask him.

How heavily used (up) is your camera? Unless dropped or otherwise physically damaged... the transport can use tuning but otherwise should not require significant parts.
I've never had a transport issue beyond a bit of squeakiness and spacing requiring adjustment.

A complete tear down and reassembly is usually around $400.

Maybe I will email/call him directly and ask. He's a fantastic guy to talk to and I wish it was only 400. Was completely willing to spend that price on the repair. I almost feel the 3.5F model CLA's are higher priced!

Old 11-27-2017   #18
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post

Have you used him? I just spoke with him and his repair estimate was under 200! They are also in VA so much more convenient that shipping cross country

Old 11-27-2017   #19
aizan

nope, i haven't. mr. fleenor is on the way home, so i've always gone there.

looks like a good place: https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...ad.php?t=44163

http://www.carlcorey.com/carlc_wp/20...ra-repair-guy/

Old 11-27-2017   #20
bayernfan

mr. fleenor recently CLA'd my jammed up 3.5f. was a great experience overall, price was fair, camera operates very nicely.

Old 11-27-2017   #21
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
mr. fleenor recently CLA'd my jammed up 3.5f. was a great experience overall, price was fair, camera operates very nicely.
What was 'fair'? He did both mine (2.8E and 3.5 MX-EVS)for under $400 each IIRC.

Old 11-27-2017   #22
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
What was 'fair'? He did both mine (2.8E and 3.5 MX-EVS)for under $400 each IIRC.
just under $400 for work on shutter and transport mechanisms.

Old 11-28-2017   #23
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
just under $400 for work on shutter and transport mechanisms.

Yup, like mine. Which is why it is weird the OP was quoted $800.