Old 06-15-2017   #41
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murphy View Post
Anything one can find from Cosina-Voigtlander in M under $500. The collapsible Summicron, a fabulous lens that can sometimes be found in acceptable condition for $500, is radioactive and thus off my list. I also like the Minolta 90mm F4 - not sure what it costs these days, but probably less than $500.
Only early collapsible Summicrons are radioactive, David.

I just bought a very clean one from Igor for below US 500. Very happy with the lens. He appears to have two more in stock (neither radioactive, serial# > 1.2Mio):

http://stores.ebay.com/Igors-Camera-...=summicron+5cm

Indeed, the 90/4 CLE Rokkor is fabulous. Less than US 300 these days.

Roland.

Old 06-15-2017   #42
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Anything one can find from Cosina-Voigtlander in M under $500. The collapsible Summicron, a fabulous lens that can sometimes be found in acceptable condition for $500, is radioactive and thus off my list. I also like the Minolta 90mm F4 - not sure what it costs these days, but probably less than $500.
You will need to buy LTM version of V1 Cron to have it "active". OP is asking about M lenses. M mount Crons V1 are "neutral".
Not sure about Minolta, but Elmar-M 90 f4 are readily available for under 200$.

Old 06-15-2017   #43
kermaier

Quote:
Pretty sure only the very earliest collapsible Summicrons in LTM were radioactive.

The M-Rokkor 90/4 can be had for $200 -- and well worth it if you use that focal length.

Old 06-15-2017   #44
B-9
Devin Bro

28/2.8 Rokkor

3-400$ cheap for a smallish 28 in M mount!

Staying with the 500$ and under budget.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 06-15-2017   #45
rolfe

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Canon 50mm f1.4 in LTM. Best bang for the buck out there...

Rolfe

Old 06-15-2017   #46
Carey M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Canon 50mm f1.4 in LTM. Best bang for the buck out there...
Better than the 1.8 that was mentioned?

I've been on the lookout for a bang-for-buck 50mm and the Canon lenses are very tempting, as is the seemingly rare Color Skopar 2.5.

Old 06-15-2017   #47
Carey M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
I just bought a very clean one from Igor for below US 500. Very happy with the lens. He appears to have two more in stock (neither radioactive, serial# > 1.2Mio):
Both are described as having some cleaning marks and one has a little haze, this leaves me wondering about their performance.

I've used one with very worn coatings and was very disappointed with the results. Which was a real shame as it really fits the M3 IMHO.

Old 06-15-2017   #48
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M View Post
Better than the 1.8 that was mentioned?

I've been on the lookout for a bang-for-buck 50mm and the Canon lenses are very tempting, as is the seemingly rare Color Skopar 2.5.
The OP asked for M mount lenses..... the excellent Canons and The Color Skopar are all ltm.
The f1.4/50mm canon is a very nice lens from that era.

I chose the Color Skopar f2.5/50mm as my go-to 50mm.
Tested many 50's and this one has my favorite rendering capability.
Not best as far as resolution and correction goes but certainly favorite!
It's not so, so rare. The expected price point was very low for a long time. Now after being "discovered" it costs more.
Rare are the $250-$300 offerings.

Old 06-15-2017   #49
jazzwave

Nobody like Canon 50/1.4 LTM?
For $600 you will get Canon 50/1.4 and Skopar 35/2.5 (used)

Btw, I got Summicron 35/2 V3 from RFF member for $600

~r0n~

Old 06-15-2017   #50
rfaspen

Its true the OP asked for M-mount lenses. Are we in the clear suggesting LTM lenses that often come with an adapter "pre-applied"?

I did see the Canon 50/1.4 mentioned. Have it. Its good. Its on my film M, but has a slight front focus on digital M (or was it back focus?). I may open it up and bother with shims to address that....or not. I'm pretty certain a summilux is in my future. Perhaps not the *near* future though Anyway, the Canon 50/1.4 has dropped back down in price for really nice ones. I see them in the $300's now. Occasionally below 300. They used to be $400 up. Don't ask me what I paid for mine

The Canon 50/1.8 is fine too (haze free). Have one of those too.

The CV 35/2.5 is a well-known bargain. Pure and simple. I have one. Everyone should have one.

Saw the Rokkor 90/4 mentioned above. If we're talking about the e40.5 version, its a real sleeper. Have it. Love it. Compared with Elmar-C and twin Rokkor; the new Rokkor is better. Look for the 40.5mm filter designation on the beauty ring to be sure that's what you're getting. I got mine for a touch over $200.

Not all collapsible 50 summicrons were LTM. Plenty in M mount too. I haven't noticed any difference in price or availability between them. Good crown glass is uncommon for either one. I haven't found one yet.

And those Elmar 50/2.8's Both versions are nice, but the late version is a true brilliant gem. I don't know if it makes it into the "bargain" category, but it is a bargain of sorts. The early 50/2.8 really reflects a certain era. Mine is M mount, but has the qualities of a well-built LTM Leica lens (like the collapsible summicron). The rotating lens front kind of turns me off and I only use it when I'm in the mood for a capable collapsible chrome lens on a chrome film M that isn't too modern in results. It happens.

Now that I think about it. There's quite a bit to choose from out there.

Old 06-15-2017   #51
splitimageview

The original post didn't really specify M bayonet, just "M lenses." OK so this may be pedantic, but still worth a discussion.

With a quality adapter there really is no difference in the fitment of a thread mount lens to an M body, other than some adapted LTM lenses won't focus as close as their native M bayonet equivalents.

Many of the Voigtlander LTM lenses DO focus closer, however, to 0.7m, if the camera body is capable.

Old 06-15-2017   #52
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

I have a very early M3 from the first production batch in 1954. It has what was widely considered to be the best 50mm lens faster than f2 available at the time: a Nikkor f1.4 in LTM. I love the combination.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 06-15-2017   #53
Erik van Straten

With this combination you are back in the sixties.

Leica M3, Summicron 50mm f/2 rigid, TriX.

Erik.

Old 06-15-2017   #54
bhop73

Canon 50 1.4 for me. the "Japanese Summilux" I use the voigtlander adapter. Never felt the need to "upgrade" to a Leica lens. I do have a Summitar too, I got it for around 300 bucks, it's pretty good too IMO, but the Canon is sweet.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...stingness-desc

White Bunch by Brandon, on Flickr

Cat Life by Brandon, on Flickr

Dreamy by Brandon, on Flickr

11 by Brandon, on Flickr

Old 06-16-2017   #55
Sid836

Eventually I have bought the Summicron C 40mm f/2. I have found an like new one for 520 euros at a local seller. I know that most likely I will never find a filter to use with it, but I do not use filters anyway.

Next in the line will be either the Rokkor 28mm, or the Biogon C 35mm as I do not own any wide angle lenses for my Leica. Of course, mu trusty Elmar is not going anywhere. I love it, it is just that sometimes I find it slow to play with.

I had the Canon 50mm 1.4 in LTM, but I had bad luck with two of them from Japan (ebay). Both of them had haze, and one of the two fine scratches on the front element. Thus I gave up with them.

All I need now is a weekend out trying my new lens on my Leica.

Old 06-16-2017   #56
maddoc
... likes film.

The UV Filter for the 40/2.0 Summicron-C is easy to find from a German seller on EBay. It is a Heliopan E39 x 0.75 filter and advertised as such.

flickr
pBase

Old 06-16-2017   #57
Crazy Fedya

Doesn't Summicron-C take series 5.5 filters?

Old 06-16-2017   #58
spaceistheplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post

Erik.

Oh my, what a wonderful image, you are a master, Erik!

Raúl C.

Old 06-16-2017   #59
danielsterno
making soup from mud

Eric; beautifully executed & captured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post

Erik.
than absolutely boring.

pencil/paint/M6/M5/Fuji x100

flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 06-16-2017   #60
struene

For 35mm: The 35 2.5 II skopar is as much a leica experience as every summicron. great size, ergonomics and optics.
Someone wrote "Everyone should have one" - yes.
I use it 40/60 with my summicron asph.

As far as 50ies is concerned, you can go with every elmar, they are fine. From Voigtländer there is also a skopar, and then the nokton. but otherwise a 50mm III or IV summicron is also just a tad over the budget. I would not bother with japanese or russian lenses, though i am conviced that the Canons are great if you like the oldschool look... But why not begin with just the 35mm, the other focal lenght can come later.

Old 06-16-2017   #61
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Good choice for try. Makes sense for bw film. Well, sometimes with yellow filter. But this is not so old lens to have less contrast.
M4-P 35 framelines might be close enough for 40mm and yours might be already filed for these frames.

Old 06-16-2017   #62
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

My only 35mm is the Voigtlander 35 f1.4 MC. Great lens for the price. No complaints. Sure, I'd love to have a V3 or V4 'cron, but I've never been let down with the Voigt.

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 06-17-2017   #63
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
Another vote for the 1.4/40 Nokton.

The fact it is 40mmand few RF cameras have 40mm frame lines is essentially irrelevant. After a roll of film it pretty easy to know where the image is in the viewfinder and you'll find it is harder to focus than it is to compose.

Enjoy!
You will also find the left and right edges of the 50mm frame lines correspond to how a negative prints cropped on 8x10 paper. So 40mm lenses are great on the M3 etc. if you wet print your photos.

Old 06-18-2017   #64
David Hughes
David Hughes

A bit of trivia, the rare earth elements are a pretty odd bunch and one of them was used with iron to make the flints in cigar lighters (if you use a Leica) or cigarette lighters (if you use a FED). Anyway, they were used close up to your face and then followed by some deep breathing...

Regards, David

PS Weird that they are called rare earths as they are metals and common.