Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

View Poll Results: Which digi body to complement a film RF?
A DRF or mirrorless so I can use the same lenses on both film and digi bodies 14 38.89%
A high end compact digi 22 61.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Complementary film & digi travel gear
Old 06-02-2017   #1
kxl
Social Documentary

Complementary film & digi travel gear

When traveling with both a film RF body and a digi body, what is your digi body of choice?

1) A DRF or mirrorless so I can use the same lenses on both film and digi bodies

2) a high end compact digi (or other fixed lens body, such as a mobile phone)

I gravitate toward #2 - my mind just seems to need that clean demarcation between the film body and the digi camera. #1 has just seemed less enjoyable for me for whatever unknown reason.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 06-02-2017   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

3) Mobile phone.

Old 06-02-2017   #3
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
3) Mobile phone.
I included it in #2.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 06-02-2017   #4
wjlapier

I'm traveling with two medium format film cameras and the X100s. And the iPhone 7.

Old 06-02-2017   #5
stompyq

Ricoh GR and medium format camera of your choice. Plus a phone

Old 06-02-2017   #6
Axel

I am not so fixed on a film body. Maybe APS-C and compact also.

Old 06-02-2017   #7
kxl
Social Documentary

I always have my iphone when traveling but never really use it as a camera -- just can't get used to the ergonomics, but I suppose if my primary and back up bodies fail, the iPhone would have to be my last resort.

Old 06-02-2017   #8
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
I always have my iphone when traveling but never really use it as a camera -- just can't get used to the ergonomics...
I am with you. I have a heck of a time getting a shake-free image with my iPhone.

Old 06-02-2017   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

My progress went this way:

Film camera. Only.
Film and tape video camera.
Mobile phone. Only.
DSLR. Only.
Film RF and DSLR.
Film RF. Only.
Film RF and mobile phone.

With mobile phone I could take informational pictures which I would not print. For example, name of artist and print on exhibition. And for panoramas, which I'm not going to print as well. I quit taking video on cameras long time ago.

Also, after years of travel and taking pictures daily and for hours on the trip, I'm finding the backup to be nothing, but theory.

Old 06-02-2017   #10
Chubberino
-

My go-to digi/film setup is my Fuji TX-2 with 45mm and 90mm and my Leica M8 with just the 2.8 35mm Summaron. If I'm feeling bold, I'll throw in the Fuji X-Pro2 with my Canon/Metabones 55mm FD Aspherical 1.2. The TX-2 is the constant though. It used to be my RF645 but I can't stop shooting with the TX-2.

Old 06-02-2017   #11
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post

Also, after years of travel and taking pictures daily and for hours on the trip, I'm finding the backup to be nothing, but theory.
I guess 'back up' is the wrong term, but for me:

When I shoot film, I only shoot B&W with a ZI and 2-3 lenses.

For color, I use a digital cam; with option #1, a Sony A7R or with option #2, a Sony RX100 m5

I can't shoot worth a damn with an iPhone.

I do print my travel images.

Old 06-02-2017   #12
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubberino View Post
The TX-2 is the constant though. It used to be my RF645 but I can't stop shooting with the TX-2.
Nice!

(ten characters)

Old 06-02-2017   #13
jsrockit

To me, it really depends on if you are making memories or art and if the film camera is the more serious camera or vise-versa. In any case... something like a Ricoh GR, Fuji X70, or Fuji X100T/F would work for all of the above and not cheap out on quality. F the iPhone.

EDIT: Oh, your RX100 will do just fine.

Old 06-02-2017   #14
marcr1230

Depends what kind of trip

For a quick weekend in a city , x100T and the 35mm of the moment , usually w a 35 or 50mm lens
If it's a longer vacation with more scenic and outdoor activities or wildlife, the Oly E-M1mkII and a bevy of lenses, same 35mm choice in film - whatever is my DD at that moment ( Nikon SP, Leica MP or Nikon F of late)

Old 06-02-2017   #15
Godfrey
somewhat colored

My iPhone and iPad are always with me, but I rarely think of them as cameras.

When I travel, I usually carry just one camera and maybe two-three lenses at most. And that would be the Leica M-D most of the time now, unless what I want to photograph on the trip requires the abilities of the Leica SL.

G

Old 06-02-2017   #16
pyeh

I've vexed myself over Keith's type of question for some time and each trip I make I try another combination. I think what works for me is a small rangefinder like a CL or CLE with 2 maybe 3 lenses, and a compact digital that I like the files out of, currently the GR Digital. I usually use the film camera during the day and leave it in my room in the evening. I then take the GR out at night to use in the street and in restaurants, where the high ISO and built-in flash come in useful.
On one trip I took an M film camera and an M digital with 3 lenses but it ended up being too distracting, too heavy and too much paraphernalia for the occasion. I think though that if I had been traveling without my family it might have worked better.

Old 06-02-2017   #17
michaelwj
----------------

Once again I'm with Ko.Fe.
Film RF and iPhone. Sure the iPhone is not the best, but once you get past the ergonomics (the volume buttons are shutter buttons, the ones on the phone or the earbuds - makes it much more ergonomic) of it it's a very capable all in one, photos, panoramas, video, and most importantly, instant sharing.
For the shot of "look at that funny thing that the kids did on holiday" or the interesting thing that I saw which I'll share but not print, the phone is the ticket. I can also use my phone with one hand without bringing it up to my face and it's ready to shoot quicker than most compact digital cameras. It's always on and always with me.

Old 06-02-2017   #18
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

If I'm bringing two cameras with me it'll usually be x100 for digital and 35mm focal length and the MP for film and 50mm focal length.

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 06-02-2017   #19
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
On one trip I took an M film camera and an M digital with 3 lenses but it ended up being too distracting, ...
I guess I am not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
I think though that if I had been traveling without my family it might have worked better.
Ditto.

Old 06-02-2017   #20
dwojr

If I'm driving I tend to take film cameras but if flying I take only figital. Plus my iPhone.

Old 06-02-2017   #21
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It feels nice to be at the same company with Michael
Actually, father of this group is Raid. He posted once panorama with iPhone and it get me thinking who to make this damn thing work.

iPhone 5C SOOC.

Old 06-02-2017   #22
Archiver

The phone is always with me, but hardly ever gets used unless for panoramas. My preference has always been for a 'good quality' camera and a snapshot/video camera.

In the mid 2000's I carried the Fuji Natura Black or Contax T3 along with a Canon G10 or Fuji F30. I miss the simplicity of those days, when it was either film with fixed focal length or a digital camera with zoom lens.

Over time, this evolved to a large sensor compact or DSLR (Sigma DP1 or Canon 30D) and a Canon or Fuji compact.

In 2008, I moved to the Zeiss Ikon with 35/1.4 for film, and the Canon G7 or G10 for general snapshots and video. Speaking of which, video became increasingly important to me, so at least once camera I carry must take decent video.

In 2009, this changed to the 5D Mark II with the Canon G10. In 2010, it was the Leica M9 and Ricoh GRD III, which was a period of photographic bliss.

I used to like the idea of a film rangefinder and an adaptable mirrorless camera, but this has proven annoyingly heavy and fiddly. My last major travel kit comprised of the M9 with three lenses and the Olympus E-M5 with three lenses, which was great for versatility but cumbersome to carry.

When carrying a film RF these days, my complementary camera is always compact digital. Film for 'good quality' and digital for the endless snapshots and video.

Old 06-02-2017   #23
back alley
IMAGES

when i was young and healthy i would carry almost everything i owned.
now my kit is fuji body (maybe 2) plus 23/2...50/2...16/1.2....no matter what i'm photographing...

my other gear would have to have a specific need identified before hand...

Old 06-02-2017   #24
Roger Hicks

Leica.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-02-2017   #25
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Leica.

Cheers,

R.
"Roger, what camera are you bringing on the trip?"

"Leica."

"Hey Roger, what's that cool lens?"

"Leica."

"Roger, good to see you again. How are you doing?"

"Leica."

Old 06-03-2017   #26
ozmoose

Being me, I would go for both #1 and#2, on the basis that, given the situation of the moment, it depends.

This said, I give +100 to Roger for being so enviably minimalist, in equipment and wording...

Why clutter up a travel experience with equipment?

KISS, keeping it simple is, to me, the only way to go.

In theory, I would carry my Nikon D700 (for color) and a Nikkormat FT2 or B&W "art" shots) with three Nikon D lenses - 20, 60 and 85 or 180, the latter depending on how long a lens I need on the road.

In practice, the last time I did this, I took the two cameras, a 28 and the 85. Used the 28 almost exclusively and it did everything I wanted, almost. The 85 saw action one or two times and stayed mostly in the safe in my hotel room.

Next time, I'll leave the 85 at home and take a 60 micro. If I could afford it, I would copy Roger and take a Leica.

In 1985 I traveled across Indonesia with two Nikkormats and four Nikkor primes, a Rolleiflex TLR, and a 6x9 Linhof with three lenses and two film backs. Also a Linhof tripod and half a ton of films. Am amazed I survived the trip, but I was younger and fitter (and stupider) back then.

If anyone cares, the Rollei outshot the Linhof and the Nikkormat produced some truly beautiful Kodachromes which still occasionally sell as stock.

After that trip I sold the Linhof kit and the tripod. I now use an old Leitz tabletop which suits me fine without giving me back pains every time I take it out.

Small is the way. Especially when it's branded Nikon or Leitz.

Old 06-03-2017   #27
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoose View Post
Why clutter up a travel experience with equipment?

KISS, keeping it simple is, to me, the only way to go.
(...)
In 1985 I traveled across Indonesia with two Nikkormats and four Nikkor primes, a Rolleiflex TLR, and a 6x9 Linhof with three lenses and two film backs. Also a Linhof tripod and half a ton of films. Am amazed I survived the trip, but I was younger and fitter (and stupider) back then.

If anyone cares, the Rollei outshot the Linhof and the Nikkormat produced some truly beautiful Kodachromes which still occasionally sell as stock.

After that trip I sold the Linhof kit and the tripod. I now use an old Leitz tabletop which suits me fine without giving me back pains every time I take it out.

Small is the way. Especially when it's branded Nikon or Leitz.
Got to agree about simplicity. The more combinations brought, more are the possible states of confusion available.

In practice I only have shot the option of complementary gear: Olympus OM and m43 (OM adapted), used during a 3 month exchange abroad.
However, in retrospective I wish I had brought my Fuji GW690 too/instead of the OM-1.

I had interest of doing a trip to SE asia and bring Medium format (the big Fuji). A mirrorless seems a good quality sideshooter, but thinking that in practice a self-contained compact is much better.
The phone is always coming, compact, and quite a decent shooter, but I don't count it. Also, despite its great video quality, I never use such feature.

A Rolleiflex seems quite a great travel option, accompanied by a tabletop tripod. However it is quite some $ upfront nowadays that instead can go towards much travel enjoyment and film.

I have an acquitance who is heading to tropical Africa in September and am so bemused trying to (unsuccessfully) convince him of taking a simple kit.

Old 06-03-2017   #28
Spanik

On a daytrip I just take the film camera that is already in the bag or one that has been on the shelf for some time.Film or digital depends on the light expected, if there will be not much of it and I don't want to take atripod along then digital.

But on a multi day travel it will be medium format film slr. Maybe a second film camera for special occasions like weather proof or panoramic.

Don't bother for a backup as going to any large shop makes it possible to buy a decent p&s and an sd card.

Old 06-03-2017   #29
lawrence

The RF film camera and small digital combo work well for me (can't stand using smartphones for anything, let alone photography!).

Currently using:
  • ZI RF with two or at the most three lenses
  • Fujifilm X30
The Fuji is generally adequate rather than fantastic but it's compact, well built and has a very useful zoom range. True, I'd prefer an APS-C sensor but then the zoom gets physically rather large, however I may invest in a X-T20 when the price stabilises and take the 18mm & 27mm lenses that I already own.

The ZI is an excellent travel camera and it's always loaded with b&w negative film. For on the move photography I prefer it to a Leica.

Old 06-03-2017   #30
narsuitus

Quote:
When traveling with both a film RF body and a digi body, what is your digi body of choice?
Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless body with three Fuji X lenses to complement Fuji 6x7 fixed-lens medium format film rangefinder (I use this when shooting scenics)

Fuji by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 06-03-2017   #31
narsuitus

Quote:
Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless body with Leica M/Fuji X adapter to complement Leica 35mm rangefinder with three Leica M lenses

Leica M6 & Fuji X-Pro1 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 06-03-2017   #32
narsuitus

Quote:
Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless body with three Fuji X lenses to complement fixed-lens Canonet QL17 G-III 35mm compact rangefinder

Canonet and X-Pro1 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 06-03-2017   #33
huddy

I like to carry a film body (either a Pentax 67, Nikon FE2, M6TTL), along with a digital compact of some kind as I always have family traveling with me.

Old 06-03-2017   #34
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless body with three Fuji X lenses to complement fixed-lens Canonet QL17 G-III 35mm compact rangefinder

Canonet and X-Pro1 by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Cool set-up...

Old 06-03-2017   #35
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless body with three Fuji X lenses to complement Fuji 6x7 fixed-lens medium format film rangefinder (I use this when shooting scenics)

Fuji by Narsuitus, on Flickr
nom nom nom.

Old 06-03-2017   #36
MikeMGB

My travel kit consists of a Leica D-Lux 109 for digital and either a Leica M2 or a Leica III for film. This works well for me.

Old 06-03-2017   #37
Merumeni

At the moment I am at the end of a 5 week trip through China. Took 2 Leicas (M9 and M6) and my Rolleiflex with me. Flex is by far the most used one. 2nd is the M9.

In countries that turn me in some kind of idiot ( I do not speak Mandarine, I can not read anything ) my mind seems to be more in a color mode. So this will be the reason why the M6, dedicated for B+W, did not get any use.

Next week I will be in Moscow. Not that I speak any Russian but it will be less of a cultural shock. May be that the M6 can get some use there.

Old 06-03-2017   #38
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubberino View Post
The TX-2 is the constant though. It used to be my RF645 but I can't stop shooting with the TX-2.
The Fuji XPans/TX pano cameras are really remarkable. In the same body you have both a 35mm rf and with a flip of a switch a medium format rf camera. All in a compact body with incredible lenses - equal to my Leica glass.

Old 06-03-2017   #39
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless body with Leica M/Fuji X adapter to complement Leica 35mm rangefinder with three Leica M lenses

Leica M6 & Fuji X-Pro1 by Narsuitus, on Flickr
I never fully comprehend how big the x-pro is (I understand it base a grip and base plate on it, but still: wow).

Old 06-03-2017   #40
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I never fully comprehend how big the x-pro is (I understand it base a grip and base plate on it, but still: wow).
It is really not as big as it looks.

My X-Pro1 in only slightly bigger (slightly taller and slightly thicker) than my Leica M6.

My X-Pro1 in only slightly bigger (slightly taller, slightly thicker, and slightly wider) than my Contax G1.

My X-Pro1 is lighter in weight than my Leica M6 and my Contax G1.

My X-Pro1 is quieter in operation than my Contax G1 and about equal in operational noise as my Leica M6.

Contax G1, Fuji X-Pro1, Leica M6 by Narsuitus, on Flickr