Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Old 03-21-2017   #81
coogee

This looks like it could be a potential show stopper flying from Australasia into the UK as all the flights go through Dubai these days. I think? I saw Emirates on a list but Qantas not? - since they codeshare the flights (and aircraft) it can get extra confusing.

I don't doubt there's a good reason to go to all this trouble and I gave up on political discussion some time ago.

I wouldn't fancy trying to explain a medium format film camera is not a battery powered device on the spot going through security and no way am I going to put something like a Hasselblad or a Leica in my checked luggage.

Portuguese baggage handlers stole my disposable panoramic 35mm camera from my honeymoon baggage 15+ years ago, so I feel the bar is set low for luggage camera theft.

Old 03-21-2017   #82
YouAreHere

For the U.S. It's not the airline, it's the airport. Any airline flying out of an affected airport is subject to the new rule.

I don't believe there are any U.S.-domiciled airlines offering direct non-stop service to the U.S. from the affected airports.

Old 03-21-2017   #83
FrozenInTime

Last year passing through Tel Aviv, I recall screening looking baffled when some hipster turned up with a mechanical typewriter.
With this news, I have a vision of business class full of laptop deprived executives clacking away on the vintage Olivetti portables

A Hasselblad 500 in three pieces is a lens, a film holder and a nice empty box with a flapping mirror.
Probably easier with that than trying to explain a Leica M2 is not an electronic device.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 03-21-2017   #84
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
That's only because they have yet to discover electricity.
Franklin did that for us a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Keith,
Ah: a business opportunity at the airport: Honest Abdul's Used Cameras...
Cheers, R.
As long as Abdul has not been near a goat or camel.
I know...the PC brigade are gonna smash me

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 03-21-2017   #85
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Thinking out loud....Jennifer Aniston is now screwed.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 03-21-2017   #86
mcfingon
Western Australia

Is this an attempt to drive up iPhone sales?

Old 03-22-2017   #87
PunkFunkDunk

And good luck explaining what a mechanical film camera is. I recently travelled through half a dozen airports in India with my Canon F-1 and asked for my 35mm film to be hand checked instead of going through the x-ray. Given most of the security staff seemed to be under 30 years old, none had any idea what the hell I was holding! One guy had to call over the much older supervisor can could not believe what this "film" thing was when explained to him. And the camera itself got routinely eyeballed after going through the x-ray, I guess because it has so much metal compared to a DSLR. May the joy continue.

Old 03-22-2017   #88
lynnb

It's called Security Theatre. Some way had to be found to provide McJobs to all the people made redundant by technology and automation, while at the same time convincing the travelling public that Something Is Being Done. A win-win for the security bureaucracy and politicians. Every few months new things can be added to the list to give the impression of progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
As much as I do not like what is going on in D.C., this makes sense though. If it were up to me, I would allow passengers to fly w/ only what they had on, and send their stuff on ahead on a separate unmanned flight. In the end, it would save a fortune because a lot of security people could be let go of, and put a full stop to bombs on planes. As soon as passengers entered the airports, they would hand off all their luggage and possessions to specified people, walk through a metal detector, and they could catch up to their stuff once they landed. This would simplify everything.
Much safer to require all flights to be nude and contract out all passenger luggage to DHL. Problem solved!
Flickr

Are willing to trade freedom for wealth or security?
Old 03-22-2017   #89
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Are willing to trade freedom for wealth or security?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
Cameras are explicitly called for out as not allowed -

See:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/...rture-airports
Thanks for the link - While no one yet knows the full intel behind this draconian restriction - I just want remind everyone that the EgyptAir flight that blew up over the Mediterranean departed from a European airport, rather than Cairo or Dubai.

"These enhanced security measures will only affect flights from 10 of the more than 250 airports that serve as last points of departure to the United States." - but what's to stop a terrorist from boarding a flight at one of the other 240 airports, thar are not on the list?

For the past several years I've taken the precaution of FedEx my film in lead-lined containers to either my hotel or a residence when I fly. Now, it looks like I won't be bringing the camera along, since there is nothing secure about placing valuables in your checked luggage.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RC and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 03-22-2017   #90
stompyq

Delta flies out of Istanbul and are unaffected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
For the U.S. It's not the airline, it's the airport. Any airline flying out of an affected airport is subject to the new rule.

I don't believe there are any U.S.-domiciled airlines offering direct non-stop service to the U.S. from the affected airports.

Old 03-22-2017   #91
jszokoli

If we are looking for motivation for this ban of in cabin electronics, what about this.

Once your device is in your checked luggage and out of your sight it will allow intelligence officers to access devices of interest and gain access to data they contain...

Joe

Old 03-22-2017   #92
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

iPhones can be run completely clean. Before leaving -- backup. Then restore to factory. Do not even bother to password protect the phone. Do not sign into Apple iCloud.

Old 03-22-2017   #93
stompyq

I think that's a great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
I wonder. as we have many travelers here, if it would be good to start a travel tips and advice thread? If kept current, it could be of value to those both driving and flying with photo and electronic gear.

I think many here travel monthly and reports of current conditions and changes would be timely and first hand info.

Old 03-22-2017   #94
stompyq

I'm planning to fly in April and was thinking about taking my Rolleiflex or Leica with me (and a lot of film). Under the present climate is that stupid? Will the Rolleiflex survive in a pelican case as checked luggage? Provided it doesn't get stolen of course

Old 03-22-2017   #95
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
I'm planning to fly in April and was thinking about taking my Rolleiflex or Leica with me (and a lot of film). Under the present climate is that stupid? Will the Rolleiflex survive in a pelican case as checked luggage? Provided it doesn't get stolen of course
Not if a laptop bomb explodes next to it

Old 03-22-2017   #96
YouAreHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Delta flies out of Istanbul and are unaffected

A Delta-badged plane? Not a codeshare flight. And direct nonstop to U.S. No hops.

Old 03-22-2017   #97
stompyq

Thanks PKR. That's an angle I didn't think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post

Old 03-22-2017   #98
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
And anyone else think that this will not be an opportunity for 'them' to make a copy of your hard drive while it is out of your sight? Or upload snooping software?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jszokoli View Post
If we are looking for motivation for this ban of in cabin electronics, what about this.

Once your device is in your checked luggage and out of your sight it will allow intelligence officers to access devices of interest and gain access to data they contain...

Joe
They would never!

Old 05-12-2017   #99
LKSC

Now that this measure has been in place for a while, reports are surfacing. On a dedicated flying forum passengers have inidicated that they are packing camera bodies in check-in, and have been allowed to carry on their much more valuable lenses, though guidance on it is not altogether clear.

What's been the experience of members here, if any?

Old 05-13-2017   #100
Ronald M

We don`t like the rules, but what would the correct response be to small powerful explosives such as underwear bomber, shoe bomber, and putting explosives inside printer ink cartridges?

Latest is scorpions in overhead bins and inside coat sleeves. They don`t crawl there, they are put there. By whom remains to be discovered.

Then we have brawls and overbooking and mistreatment by crew. Time to rethink how we travel.

Old 05-13-2017   #101
Chubberino
-

Ronald M's conspiracy theory's are something else, lol.

Old 05-13-2017   #102
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
Here are the cities...

The ban was revealed on Monday in statements from Royal Jordanian Airlines and the official news agency of Saudi Arabia. It will apply to non-stop flights to the US from 10 international airports serving the cities of Cairo in Egypt; Amman in Jordan; Kuwait City in Kuwait; Casablanca in Morocco; Doha in Qatar; Riyadh and Jeddah in Saudi Arabia; Istanbul in Turkey; and Abu Dhabi and Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, according to a US official.

If you're not traveling to these places you'll be okay...lets not get all Chicken Little about this...
In order to fly pretty much anywhere in East Africa or the Middle East you need to go through one of the airports mentioned.

Old 05-13-2017   #103
johank

The Democratic State in ME has has since long overcome that little problem, take a snap of the Celing in the Customs to proof that it is not a Bo-b.

Old 05-13-2017   #104
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Ha! Does anyone really think TSA or airline/airport security will actually believe a film camera is not an electronic device - particularly if it has an exposure meter with a switch, e.g. Olympus OM, or a digital readout in the viewfinder? I'm not certain people in those jobs would understand the concept of a mechanical camera, or "film"!
I still remember I was told "no electronic devices during take off or landing" when holding my Olympus Trip. I tried to explain "it does not have even a battery" - "genereation Z" young lady sitting next to me got it, but not the flight attendant...

Old 05-13-2017   #105
pschauss

There is talk of extending the ban on electronic devices to countries beyond the middle east. A major concern, however, is what to do about the lithium-ion batteries which will now be stowed in the hold.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1862QS

Old 05-13-2017   #106
gnuyork

On the flip side, I totally agree with TSA on this one...

Just got this article on my phone:
https://petapixel.com/2017/05/13/tsa...much-like-gun/

Old 05-13-2017   #107
jpa66
Jan as in "Jan and Dean"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Phil,

Alternatively:

A: Go somewhere else

and/or

B: Don't go back...

It's worked for me since 2006, the last time I was in the USA.

Cheers,

R.
Unfortunately, Roger, a lot of us who want to go cannot.

Old 05-13-2017   #108
Huss

Of course this new safety regulation has experts say it makes things far less safe for us:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/23/lapto...old-trump.html

Old 05-13-2017   #109
peterm1

Quote:
Of course this new safety regulation has experts say it makes things far less safe for us:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/23/lapto...old-trump.html

Yes but of course it is all about appearances, not facts. I worked in the field of deregulation within government and found that trying to prevent new regulations and remove existing ones is like pushing a very large rock uphill. Every time something occurs - an accident or act of violence (it does not matter) it provides an opportunity for a politician to undertake an act of self aggrandizement and hyping the event for votes. They will invariably do so by passing a new regulation to show they have "fixed" the problem. So the politician gets votes and of course the public sector loves this too - more regulation means more regulators, more staff, bigger organisations, bigger budgets and bigger government. And bigger careers. Besides they know nothing else. As the old adage goes - "Give a man a hammer and every problem suddenly looks like a nail".

Old 05-13-2017   #110
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That was my thoughts as well Lynn ... they won't have the ability to distinguish between a camera that is mechanical over one that is electronic.
Nor will they trust your word. They have a book, it's called a Manual. It is everything......

Old 05-13-2017   #111
Contarama

The terrorists are succeeding. Bleeding everyone a little bit at a time. Of course their success must be assured so someone can keep making money off of security. Glad I'll be dead sooner rather than later because all of these games are ridiculous.

Old 05-14-2017   #112
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
The terrorists are succeeding. Bleeding everyone a little bit at a time. Of course their success must be assured so someone can keep making money off of security. Glad I'll be dead sooner rather than later because all of these games are ridiculous.
Trouble is, a lot of the 'good' guys like throwing their weight about and having a good excuse to ban or control everything (except guns, of course). I reckon they need each other; I just wish they wouldn't drag us into their fights...

Regards, David

Old 05-14-2017   #113
sanmich

So, how does that work??
I already checked my luggage, I pass the security, and there, the lady tells me that my water bottle, the scissors my kid forgot in her bag, and my 10k$ of leica gear go to the garbage bin??

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 05-14-2017   #114
kuuan
loves old lenses

so from now on we have to check in the bombs hidden inside our cameras and use our handphones on board to trigger them?

Old 05-14-2017   #115
Kent
Finally at home...

There have been news recently that other destinations also will be affected, not only the middle east...
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 05-14-2017   #116
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuan View Post
so from now on we have to check in the bombs hidden inside our cameras and use our handphones on board to trigger them?
And don't forget the hi-vis top with "TERRORIST" written on it and the target drawn over the heart.

Actually, it's not about terrorism but is part of the war on tourism...

Regards, David

Old 05-14-2017   #117
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmich View Post
So, how does that work??
I already checked my luggage, I pass the security, and there, the lady tells me that my water bottle, the scissors my kid forgot in her bag, and my 10k$ of leica gear go to the garbage bin??
Even now small things like pocket knives may be mailed to yourself from security, and "excess" carry-ons may be checked in at the gate... Gate-checking may be getting more common as the airlines run into limits on overhead bin storage.

Old 05-31-2017   #118
Huss

Jet Blue just had a lap top fire on one of their flights.
Luckily the crew was able to put it out as it was in the cabin.
If it was in the cargo hold....

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/31/us/jetblue-flight-fire/

Old 05-31-2017   #119
maddoc
... likes film.

One year ago the battery of my very old notebook (10 years at that time) all of a sudden heated extremely up after I connected it to the AC power and the charging process started. Removing the battery immediately prevented any possible disaster (luckily at home and not on board of any airplane).

Lithium batteries should not go into the cargo hold of airplanes, IMO.

Quote:

flickr
pBase

Old 05-31-2017   #120
YouAreHere

Quote:

It wasn't a laptop. The picture shown in the article is a battery charger for e-cigarettes.