Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Business / Philosophy of Photography

Business / Philosophy of Photography Taking pics is one thing, but understanding why we take them, what they mean, what they are best used for, how they effect our reality -- all of these and more are important issues of the Philosophy of Photography. One of the best authors on the subject is Susan Sontag in her book "On Photography."

Old 07-25-2016   #81
rolfe

Stephen,

Unbelievable -- I had the identical experience last fall!

Best regards!

Rolfe

Old 07-25-2016   #82
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Glad for the good news, hope you're doing better
Try to keep that philosophy, it can be hard to retain as regular life gets back to normal

WebsiteFlickrInsta

l'chaim!
Old 07-25-2016   #83
jvo

l'chaim!

thanks for having the courage to post....

Old 07-25-2016   #84
rfaspen

Another one here who's glad to hear that you're OK Stephen. I really don't know if I would have gone to the Dr. in time. Kudos for doing the best thing.

Let's all enjoy life now.

And as for Churchhill's quote: "Nothing more exhilarating than being shot at with no result"......Wrong! Probably the most terrifying and unpleasant feeling in my life. I do look at life differently now though. That's a real phenomenon.

Now stay healthy! Everyone.

Old 07-25-2016   #85
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
You might wonder why this post is in this category. Let me assure you that such an experience will most likely change your philosophy of life, let alone your philosophy of photograpy.

The silver lining is that I will make sure I get more out of my life going forward. I never written such a personal post before. I am writing in the hopes that sharing might help others to get more out of their lives too.

Best to Everyone,

Stephen
I am glad you came through it and all will be well for you. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Old 07-25-2016   #86
FrankS

Riding a motorcycle gives one the same perspective.

photography makes me happy

Old 07-25-2016   #87
dfatty

good reminder, stephen, it's easy to get bogged down in things that are ultimately irrelevant. glad you are well.

Old 07-25-2016   #88
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
Stephen,

Unbelievable -- I had the identical experience last fall!

Best regards!

Rolfe
How about that? What has been your experience since then? I'm sure we'd all be interested.

Old 07-25-2016   #89
oftheherd

Quote:
Long story short, I was walking around for 10 days with a dull pain in my side and fever. The pain was much like a slight muscle pull, not that bad. The fever was manageable with Advil.

I finally saw my doctor expecting something minor, only to find out I had a burst appendix. I was immediately admitted and had surgery that day. My body formed an abscess around the rupture which prevented sepsis. Had that abscess broken, there likely would have been a different story.

I easily could have died or have had a very long and tough recovery. Instead I am extraordinarily lucky to be alive and feeling a bit sore, but feeling well.

Most near death experiences I have read about were people who knew they were in dire circumstances. Not me. For 10 days I was clueless of the immediate danger.

Well, its true. Such an experience does change you. Life is sweeter and more precious now. The sun is a bit brighter. Friends and family are a bit dearer. The air is fresher. Upsets are harder to get upset about, and most look silly and meaningless now. Its time to reevaluate my life and my purpose to accomplish more, to appreciate and love life more.

You might wonder why this post is in this category. Let me assure you that such an experience will most likely change your philosophy of life, let alone your philosophy of photograpy.

The silver lining is that I will make sure I get more out of my life going forward. I never written such a personal post before. I am writing in the hopes that sharing might help others to get more out of their lives too.

Best to Everyone,

Stephen
I will pray for you to have continued good health. I had my appendix out in 1972. But I wasn't near as close to death as you were. Stay with us please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
Reading your first paragraph, I knew exactly what had happened. The question is, would I have recognized it if it were happening to myself?

Great news that you had a good outcome!
Interesting. My first thought was heart related. My experience with my appendix was more like what Ornate Wrasse described.

Old 07-25-2016   #90
drew.saunders

I was 8 years old when my appendix ruptured. Fortunately, when a healthy kid that age can no longer stand upright but claims "I'm OK," reasonable adults don't believe the "OK" part, so my Mom took me to my pediatrician, who told her to send me to the ER immediately, where they did a few tests, shot a happy med into my arm, put a mask on me, and next thing I know I'm in a hospital bed with a big bandage on my belly! On the plus side, I did get to enjoy all the ginger ale I wanted while recovering!

Congrats on catching it! Hopefully you also got all the ginger ale you wanted!

Old 07-25-2016   #91
hendriphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
big life events can cause big changes in life...
i encourage you to stick with your new approach to life and living as it is very easy to let it slip to the back of the mind.
my heart attack changed me...for awhile but then old behaviours started to creep back into my life.
it's a constant struggle...
This is so true.
Glad you dodged this bullet. Best wishes...S

Old 07-25-2016   #92
Prest_400
Multiformat

Hope it all goes well Stephen.

Young'un chiming in. It is quite strange for us to be aware of how fleeting life can be (unless there's been trauma), but I have a friend who is a MD and has seen many losses in his family the last year.
At the moment no one close to me, but I know how precious life is and enjoy the most possible. Might be a bit fatalistic, but I draw a lot of enjoyment doin things and not stressing much.

I did have intestinal complications at age 1-2 and my dad told me I barely made it, and almost traspassed in an ambulance. Kind of takes your heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
Good call going to the doctor and happy that will be okay.

A colleague of mine at work was diagnosed last year with Prion disease, which is terminal.
It changed my outlook - be happy in what you do and live to the fullest.
I don't know why I ended up reading about such diseases. It is strange really how many ailiments there are. Strength to your friend and family.

Old 07-25-2016   #93
rpsawin
RF Enthusiast

Dear Bartender,

I will hoist one in celebration. Take care and be well, Stephen.

Bob
CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Old 07-25-2016   #94
lxmike
Barnack fan

Get well soon, glad you are on the mend

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

myblog:lifefromawindow

Old 07-25-2016   #95
maddoc
... likes film.

A good reminder of the fragility of life. Cheers Stephen, get well soon!

flickr
pBase

Old 07-25-2016   #96
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

It's heartening when--in a community like this where few of us have met and most of us never see one another--a member has the trust and courage to share difficult personal experiences, and their spiritual or philosophical significance.

When the member who does so is the community's figurehead, RFFer-in-chief, it is good for the whole community's heart. Thanks and be well, Stephen.

http://rhl.photography

Old 07-25-2016   #97
Livesteamer

Thanks for the reminder.

Every day above ground is a Good Day.

Joe

Old 07-25-2016   #98
TXForester

I am happy that luck smiled on you and you are with us.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage.” ― H.L. Mencken

Old 07-25-2016   #99
KM-25

The currency of life is not measured in metrics of material value but what is the very definition of currency itself, to simply flow.

You have good fuses Stephen, now really let the current flow... . . . . .

Old 07-26-2016   #100
Vobluda

I think that I can understand your feelings - been there, done that in 1994 when I was 19. In my case the first doctor didn't recognized the burst appendix:/
Next day I was taken to hospital and went directly for surgery.
Life is great, enjoy it well!

"New Eyes"
Old 07-26-2016   #101
mynikonf2
OEM

"New Eyes"

Stephen,
Events such as this can help us redefine the meaning of success.
Seeing the world with our "new eyes" can give us the courage to continue the journey or inspire a change in course where necessary.
Enjoy your new vision...

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 07-26-2016   #102
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Stephen,

My wife had a similar experience with a burst appendix several years ago, though there was no abscess so sepsis was a indeed an issue and she almost died on the table. Her BP went as low as 50/20. I was on company assignment over 300 miles away, so didn't arrive until she was in post-op ICU.

These events certainly do have a deep effect on one and their friends and family. I am really happy that through your situation that you have experienced some enlightenment and shift in outlook. We all need that and can feed of each other. Thank you for sharing - that is important.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 07-26-2016   #103
ferider

Really glad you are still around, Stephen. You were very lucky.

Old 07-26-2016   #104
Shirley Creazzo

So glad, Stephen, to hear you are now on the downhill side of that mountain -- and with a different view of your world. Wonderful news.

Thank you all
Old 07-26-2016   #105
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Thank you all

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and thoughts, they are much appreciated.

"Transformation" is probably an overused term, but this experience was transformational for me. I hope to make the best of it going forward.

I had about three hours between realizing the gravity of my situation and the surgery, taken up by many thoughts and not a few regrets.

Interestingly one thought that did not cross my mind was

I WISH I HAD WATCHED MORE TV!

-- something to think about.

Best to All,

Stephen

Old 07-27-2016   #106
airfrogusmc

Glad you went to see the Dr Stephen and I hope that you are 100% soon....

Old 07-28-2016   #107
squirrel$$$bandit

Whoa, Stephen, delighted that disaster was averted and that you're still kickin'. Thank you for sharing it with us...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-31-2016   #108
Nathan King

I'm glad you're still here.

I had a very close call twelve years ago and ended up spending a month in the hospital. Really changes your perspective, doesn't it?

Old 07-31-2016   #109
zauhar

Stephen that's incredible! I ignore RFF for a few weeks and miss your near death experience.

Great story with a great ending. I had a bathroom ceiling collapse last night, now it seems like nothing! ;-)

God bless you , hope this is the start of a good and happy phase of your life.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 08-06-2016   #110
Skiff

Happy to hear you are o.k. again!
All the best to you for lots of coming years!!

Old 08-06-2016   #111
skopar steve

Thanks for posting, and I'm very happy to hear you are doing well. Good reminder to us "invincible guys" that regard ailments as minor inconveniences to be toughed through.

Steve

Old 08-06-2016   #112
pepeguitarra

Quote:
Long story short, I was walking around for 10 days with a dull pain in my side and fever. The pain was much like a slight muscle pull, not that bad. The fever was manageable with Advil.

I finally saw my doctor expecting something minor, only to find out I had a burst appendix. I was immediately admitted and had surgery that day. My body formed an abscess around the rupture which prevented sepsis. Had that abscess broken, there likely would have been a different story.

I easily could have died or have had a very long and tough recovery. Instead I am extraordinarily lucky to be alive and feeling a bit sore, but feeling well.

Most near death experiences I have read about were people who knew they were in dire circumstances. Not me. For 10 days I was clueless of the immediate danger.

Well, its true. Such an experience does change you. Life is sweeter and more precious now. The sun is a bit brighter. Friends and family are a bit dearer. The air is fresher. Upsets are harder to get upset about, and most look silly and meaningless now. Its time to reevaluate my life and my purpose to accomplish more, to appreciate and love life more.

Best to Everyone,

Stephen
Stephen: I am glad you are doing fine now. Fifty years ago, I was in 8th grade and I had taken biology (human anatomy) and learned how to find out if it was appendix pain. They told us to measure one hand (from index tip to pulgar tip extended_ from the navel outwards, and four fingers vertically placed down, then push gently. If the person jumped of pain, it was appendix and needed surgery within the next few hours. About a month later, my father had a pain, I measured pushed gently and he jumped of pain. Immediately to the hospital. My Dad told the doctor the experience and he recommended I should go to medical school. I regret no having gone to medical school, but it is too late now. So, I learned that appendix burst can be a killer. I hope people read this post and find out how to determine the pain.

Old 08-06-2016   #113
mjc

Stephen, I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Old 08-06-2016   #114
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

Way to survive!

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 08-06-2016   #115
raid
Dad Photographer

Enjoy Life. You are back to do so.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-06-2016   #116
robbeiflex

Glad you are still with us Stephen! My own near death experience was more instant, so to speak. A few years ago I ran into a moving car with my bicycle. Different circumstances, but I can at least partly relate to your current feelings. Make the most of it!

Cheers,
Rob
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 08-07-2016   #117
HHPhoto

I am very happy to see you healthy and lucky again!

Cheers, Jan