Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Anyone using older digital cameras ?
Old 04-25-2016   #1
dee

Anyone using older digital cameras ?

With film , upgrading from a 60's SRT to an XD7 was merely a matter of convenience as the lenses would provide a similar image .

With digital , the IQ is constantly advancing , so cameras quickly become obsolete .

Strictly an amateur snap shooter , I am as content with a Panasonic L1 as I am with the Pentax K10D , and Sony A290/A390 'twins' . My most up to date camera being a Sony A35 .
I guess an advantage is that used 43/rds and Minolta lenses are inexpensive !

Do you feel a need to keep up with the latest trends and cameras ?

Regards dee.
Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-M1 joined by neat X-T1

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .
Minolta SR1s/SR7v/SRTs various !

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Old 04-25-2016   #2
johnf04

The Canon A510 I bought 11 years ago still works fine, as does my 4 year old Canon G12. I prefer cameras with viewfinders - back screens are awkward to use, when you don't have your reading glasses.

Old 04-25-2016   #3
Mackinaw
Think Different

I have a Canon G2 I bought in 2001. A few years back, I removed the blue filter covering the sensor and made the G2 an IR-only camera. Work’s well.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

D70, D200 and now D700
Old 04-25-2016   #4
lamap
Luis Albergaria Pacheco

D70, D200 and now D700

Yes all old cameras with lovely quality.
The D70 was offered to a friend, but I really loved those beautiful strong colors. Last acquisition the D700, also loving it all the way. D200 also very nice, only a small negative detail, it consumes too much battery. IQ is great.

Old 04-25-2016   #5
Mark A. Fisher

I had a Nikon D100 and a D200 converted to IR, both are still going strong.

Old 04-25-2016   #6
dave lackey

Two words, Leixa X1...

More words, I don't need another digital camera.

Dave

Old 04-25-2016   #7
35photo

My Leica M9 is still going strong have no intentions of changing unless something happens to it.. I bought it used 2+ years ago I think it was introduced in 2009?

Old 04-25-2016   #8
B-9
Devin Bro

Dave, an X1 is a great camera.

I'm enjoying my old Nikon D3, it's more than I have ever asked for in IQ and features.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 04-25-2016   #9
Dogman

I am very particular about my equipment but I own exactly zero current production digital cameras. All of my cameras were either bought used or as model close-outs. My most recent purchase was a new Fujifilm X-pro1--recently discontinued and selling for bargain basement prices. As for DSLRs, I use older Canon EOS and much older Olympus E-volt models. They were good when new, they're no worse now. All of them can make images that translate into excellent 13x19 prints on Epson, Canson and Hahnnemule fine art water color papers.

Old 04-25-2016   #10
ellisson

I've used Minolta/Sony SLRs and DSLRs for many years, mainly with Minolta lenses. My first serious DSLR was the Minolta Maxxum 7D (AKA, Dynax7), a 6MP camera with simple, efficient ergonomics. I hold on to this camera for its ease of use and fine image quality for web presentation and 8x10 prints. The Sony A-mount and E-mount cameras have gone a long way beyond the Minoltas, but I still like using the Maxxum 7D.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 04-25-2016   #11
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I still trot my D1 out occasionally to remind myself how much better we have it now. ;-)

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 04-25-2016   #12
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I'm on my third Epson R-D1 and thinking of buying an R-D1x just to get the more recent camera, 2010 I think.

Old 04-25-2016   #13
AAlfano

I'm still using my old Nikon D40 and in fact in a lot of ways I prefer it to my newer D7000. Something about the images from that CCD sensor—they just look better to my eyes than the newer CMOS sensors, even if they're only 6MP.

Funny thing about that D40. I was visiting a cathedral in England and an older gentleman saw me trying to take a selfie with my wife. He came over and offered to take our photo. I agreed. We came to find out that the older gentleman was in fact the archbishop of the cathedral! Since then, I've said my D40 is "blessed."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 04-25-2016   #14
rumbliegeos

I buy what I feel I need for my work, which has its own changing demands. My digital SLR is a Nikon D7000 that replaced a D200 when I needed the better high ISO performance for shooting out of helicopters with high shutter speeds. My back-up P&S is a Canon G11, which I bought used and I think has pretty decent image quality. If I were a pro I would probably get into full-frame digital, but what I have suits my needs.

Old 04-25-2016   #15
Contarama

I am still very impressed with the look offered by the old 12MP Nikon DSLR sensors.

Old 04-25-2016   #16
kiemchacsu

10mpx file From my Nikon d60 still good enough for making nice photo albums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 04-25-2016   #17
bmattock

Pentax *ist DS and DL, K200, K-x, Minolta 5D. Just picked up another DS because 9 dollars for a DSLR. I like cheap, I think they are fine, and I'm going to keep doing it. Leading edge is bleeding edge.

Old 04-25-2016   #18
bhop73

I have a d300. Released in 2007, so that's pretty old as far as dslrs go anyway. Mine had over 500k actuations whenI bought it from a pro on craigslist.. I think it's finally dying though. I'm not sure what I'll replace it with. The d500 looks good, but it's not in my budget at the moment.

Old 04-25-2016   #19
Larry Cloetta

Fujifilm S5 Pro. Outmoded-ha! Ahh, those skin tones, those colors. Will Fuji ever make a sensor this nice again? Or anybody else? Proving that megapickles are not everything since late antiquity.

Old 04-25-2016   #20
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Fujifilm S3 Pro...the one thing I don't like is it doesn't couple with the Ai or Ais lenses therefore you can't use it in A or P modes unless you have a more modern lens...
My next digital will hopefully be the Df or D3x...
pf

Old 04-25-2016   #21
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

I still use my Canon 40D. Well, 2nd one since I killed the shutter on the first one I bought in early 2008.

Still makes great prints, even if IQ is not up to the newest standards and I mostly use MF glass on it anyway so AF improvements are moot.

Old 04-25-2016   #22
markwatts
Mark Watts

I am also stalled at 12MP Nikon technology: D3s, D700, D300 and D90. I haven't seen files from modern cameras and perhaps it is just as well, but I am very content with mine. When they stop working I will think about updating but not before.

Old 04-25-2016   #23
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35photo View Post
My Leica M9 is still going strong have no intentions of changing unless something happens to it.. I bought it used 2+ years ago I think it was introduced in 2009?
It was the introduction of the M9 that really started pushing the M8 prices down, which allowed me to get one. I think it was in 2010 that I made my purchase. It has been my most used camera since then.

I'm pretty sure I will skip the M9 upgrade myself. I might have to reconsider if my M8 died sometime soon. So far, it has however been the most reliable camera I have owned or used.

Edit. Seeing this is in the SLR part of the forum, I still have some old Canon gear, too. All that I have left is as old as the M8 or older. I don't really use much of them anymore.

Last edited by Lss : 04-25-2016 at 23:41. Reason: Add SLR info

Old 04-26-2016   #24
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Some of the old digital compacts have been handed down to the children (but they prefer film), and the sub 4MP ones have been retired (less so for pixel count, but these really were icky in terms of handling and image quality), one Canon G5 died the death of the Sony sensor (and was replaced for free with the much inferior successor, which I subconsciously hated enough to drop and inundate it within a year). But all the others I ever bought still are alive and kicking - the D50 sees more use than ever now that it has been converted to IR, and the D90 is still my regular digital for photographing the kids. And the Ricoh GX100 still is a compact favourite of mine - I'd buy another one if it should ever fail...

Old 04-26-2016   #25
peterm1

The oldest I use more or less regularly are my Nikon D200 and a still quite nice Panasonic L1 (4/3 camera). The latter has particular limitations in that the older and smaller sensor has to be used at no more than 400 ISO (Perhaps 800 ISO if the light is good and the exposure is handled with care). But I recently found a lens of that era that I have long lusted after - the 25mm Panasonic Leica Summilux f1.4 (A predecessor to the more recent M4/3 version). It's a crackerjack lens and nice to use although I more often use it on an Olympus M4/3 camera with a 4/3 to M4/3 adapter sim,ply because the sensor of the newer camera is more capable. But when used on the L1 it gives me the extra lens speed to allow me to keep the ISO down to a minimum.

I also have a Nikon D70s but it's a bit quirky now and the card has to be taken out and put back in sometimes to keep it happy - perhaps the result of a touch of corrosion on a contact? Like all cameras of this era the sensor is also lacking compared to anything made in the last 5 years or so.

The biggest impediment to older cameras I find is older batteries. Especially if the camera has not been in regular use for a while. I recently got out a Panasonic LX3 and gave it a run for the first time in about a year. Only to find that one of the batteries has now died. Fortunately I have another. Its a good camera and its only flaw is a short zoom which taps out at 60mm (compared to 90mm for later versions).

Truth is, I seldom buy cameras new. I do occasionally buy new lenses though. But the depreciation is too great on any new cameras so I am happy to buy kit that is at least 3-4 years old when it is still performing well. Viewed this way most of my camera gear is "older".

Old 04-26-2016   #26
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

I had an Olympus C-1400XL from, perhaps, the mid to late 90's and sold it at X'mas during a clear out. I've still got one or two older ones (somewhere) that aren't SLR's that I bought to get the SmartMedia cards. From memory a C-120 and a Fuji A101. You often see them for a couple of pounds in charity shops but the cards are usually missing...

Regards, David

Old 04-26-2016   #27
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisson View Post
I've used Minolta/Sony SLRs and DSLRs for many years, mainly with Minolta lenses. My first serious DSLR was the Minolta Maxxum 7D (AKA, Dynax7), a 6MP camera with simple, efficient ergonomics. I hold on to this camera for its ease of use and fine image quality for web presentation and 8x10 prints. The Sony A-mount and E-mount cameras have gone a long way beyond the Minoltas, but I still like using the Maxxum 7D.
Sounds like me only with a change of brand name to Pentax... I've used Pentax film cameras since the mid-60's, so went with a K100D for my first dSLR. Very simple to use due to few fancy features, and it takes AA batteries (smart choice), but limited now at 6Mp. I have the new Pentax K-1 on order, so I'm not immune to the siren call of the latest thing!

Old 04-26-2016   #28
wolves3012

My newest digital is a Panasonic G2, which I have no need to upgrade to something newer. I still sometimes use a Minolta Z1 (3.2Mp) and regularly use a Nikon P50 (8Mp P&S), it can get very close in close-up mode and is very pocketable. As for film, I plan to start doing my own B&W processing and have a fair selection of RFs and SLRs to choose from, old and "modern".
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG-M, XD-5
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, 14-42 Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-26-2016   #29
Axel

I´ve used some digital camera brands and types since the beginning of digital photography.
One camera that survived until today ist my Fuji S20Pro from 2004.

Compared to actual cameras there is only some disadvantage in speed and focus accurancy and perhaps the lack of a tilting display sometimes.
Its results are still 90% of what I need today

Old 04-26-2016   #30
ernstk
Retro Renaissance

Still using my Leica Digilux 2 and M8

M-P, M8, M2, 35 Summilux pre ASPH, Summilux 35 pre, Summaron 35/2.8, Elmarit 21/2.8, CV 21/4
Ricoh GR Digital

Old 04-26-2016   #31
AndersG

Still using my Canon EOS 30D, that is 10 years old by now (but not my Canon EOS D30, though..).

Old 04-26-2016   #32
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

I still use my R8-DMR regularly. (10 megapixels)

R8-DMR, Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm F/2.8

Adelaide, South Australia

Old 04-26-2016   #33
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlfano View Post
I'm still using my old Nikon D40 and in fact in a lot of ways I prefer it to my newer D7000. Something about the images from that CCD sensor—they just look better to my eyes than the newer CMOS sensors, even if they're only 6MP.
I know the feeling. In sunny daylight, I prefer the results from my D80 and its CCD sensor over my newer cameras, so no matter where I go, the 'ol D80 is there in the bag every time. But it falls short for high ISO and (especially) long exposures, so that's what the D7000 and now the D750 is for. Four minute night exposures with the D80 would just lead to grainy, streaky noisy skies.

Old 04-26-2016   #34
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I have the new Pentax K-1 on order, so I'm not immune to the siren call of the latest thing!
Please post a thread on it once you get to know it!

Old 04-26-2016   #35
jsrockit

I don't feel the need to, but I like to. I like to photograph handheld in really low light sometimes...so as high ISO and nighttime AF improve, I like to upgrade. We all photograph differently, so I can imagine some don't feel the need to upgrade as much as others. That said, I'm sensitive to ergonomics and there aren't that many digital cameras that feel right to me. My oldest camera is the Nikon Df.

Old 04-26-2016   #36
iamzip
Ambitious, but rubbish

I'm fairly happy with my Rebel XT (350D outside the US). Image quality is still excellent, and the 8 megapixels is enough for my needs. The only things I'm really craving are an ISO above 1600, and maybe video so I wouldn't have to make a choice between a still camera and a camcorder.

Old 04-26-2016   #37
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Dee,

I shoot a Monochrom and a D3X which has 24 MP.

The only new digital that interests me is the Leica SL. My wish is that Leica makes a monochrom version (SL-M).

BTW I like using a Noct-Nikkor and a 28/1.4 AF-D for the retro looks on the D3X.

Cal

Old 04-26-2016   #38
narsuitus

I still use 3 Fuji S5 digital SLR cameras. Still waiting for someone to produce a dSLR with the S5 image quality and interchangeable viewfinders before I upgrade.

Use a Canon G11 in the studio for close-up and still life images.

Use a Canon G5 when I need to leave a camera unattended in a remote location for a long period of time for timed interval shots.

I use an Olympus E-p1 as a dedicated black & white camera.

I have an old 5mp point & shoot with a 32mb memory card that I use as a "quick & dirty" copy camera.

When someone wants to borrow one of my digital cameras, I give them an old digital point and shoot.

Old Digital Cameras by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 04-26-2016   #39
willie_901

Dee asked, "Do you feel a need to keep up with the latest trends and cameras ?"

Only recently I have not felt the urge to upgrade.

I have a Fujifilm X-T1 and a X100T. These meet my needs. While The X-Pro 2 and soon to be announced X-T2 are better cameras. The performance gap has no effect on my work.

I think we have reached a plateau in data stream technologies. While this plateau is certainly temporary, there's not much motivation for me to upgrade. I like using the cameras and I like the lenses' performance. I don't use cropping as a composition tool and a 24 X 36 " print is large enough for me.

If you are making progress on your projects, there the reasons to upgrade are limited.

One reason to upgrade is convenience. An older, heavier, larger DSLR may be less convenient than lighter, smaller (and quieter options). I could never go back to using the D200/300 or 700 I used to own.

I would not be happy using the second generation m4/3 body I sold either. I did not enjoy using that camera and the sensor's signal-to-noise ratio was a handicap.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 04-26-2016   #40
Gerry M
Gerry

Sony R (No X!)1. A bit of a strange beast, but has an exceptional Zeiss Vario Sonnar lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1 web.jpg (27.2 KB, 8 views)