28 Elmarit to compliment 50 Lux?
Old 01-20-2015   #1
Asim

28 Elmarit to compliment 50 Lux?

I've got a .72 Leica MP with a 50mm Summilux Asph (this and a Contax T3 is ALL my photography equipment). I shoot slide film (Provia 100F mostly) during my world travels with my family and have considered a wider angled lens to compliment the 50mm.

So I'm quite decided on the 28mm Elmarit Asph. I'm just wondering what you think of this combination (50 Lux + 28 Elmarit) for a film shooter? Any reasons to avoid this lens and go for something different?

Old 01-20-2015   #2
Steve Hoffman
Leicanutt

Seems great to me. Can you see the 28mm frame lines or will you need an external viewfinder?

Old 01-20-2015   #3
Asim

yeah i see the 28 framelines great. i have a -2 diopter screwed on so I always remove my glasses to take photos. no need for an external viewfinder.

Old 01-20-2015   #4
Huss

I have both those lenses and it's a great combo. Not only is the 28 really sharp, but it is also much more flare resistant than the 50 lux asph.

Taken with the 28.

Old 01-20-2015   #5
segedi
RFicianado

Sounds like a winning combo to me.

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 01-20-2015   #6
Asim

Thanks for the replies.

Amazing photo Huss! It's just like a shot I would have taken in such a place. Great angle and great light.

I think the 28 will be a good perspective for me.

Old 01-20-2015   #7
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Not only is the 28 really sharp, but it is also much more flare resistant than the 50 lux asph.
Yep, the 28mm Elmarit ASPH is very flare resistant and the sharpest 28mm I've ever used. Fantastic little lens and a great match for the 50mm Summilux ASPH I'd say.

Here's another Elmarit ASPH shot:

Old 01-20-2015   #8
Asim

jonmanjiro... thanks for the reply and the excellent photo. I love the silhouette effect of the people with the one lady highlighted in the foreground.

Old 01-21-2015   #9
Asim

How is the sharpness of the Elmarit 28 Asph at f/2.8 (wide open)?
And is there any out-of-focus background blur with this lens if the subject in focus is in the foreground? I'm not expecting creamy blur like the 50 summilux at f/1.4 but is there any with the elmarit? How would you describe the quality of the OOF areas?

Old 01-21-2015   #10
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim View Post
And is there any out-of-focus background blur with this lens if the subject in focus is in the foreground? I'm not expecting creamy blur like the 50 summilux at f/1.4 but is there any with the elmarit? How would you describe the quality of the OOF areas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
the sharpest 28mm I've ever used.
A few years back I did a four way shootout between a Skopar 28/3.5, Zeiss 28/2.8, Avenon 28/3.5, and Elmarit 28/2.8 ASPH. The Elmarit was very sharp at f2.8 and the sharpest across the frame at all apertures. Bokeh is smooth at f2.8 but you have to get pretty close to your subject to get any.

Old 01-21-2015   #11
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim View Post

It is pin sharp wide open, edge to edge. Never noticed the bokeh as it is a 28mm lens, and I normally don't look for that with a wide lens.

Not sure where you are, but lensrentals rents them if u need to try one out.

photo at train station
Old 01-22-2015   #12
darya151

photo at train station

beautiful light! Exquisite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Yep, the 28mm Elmarit ASPH is very flare resistant and the sharpest 28mm I've ever used. Fantastic little lens and a great match for the 50mm Summilux ASPH I'd say.

Here's another Elmarit ASPH shot:

Old 01-22-2015   #13
Timmyjoe

I'll be the fly in the ointment on this one. I was not a fan of the 28 Elmarit ASPH only because I found it to be a VERY high contrast lens, and did not feel it mated well with my 50 Lux. Now I was shooting almost exclusively B&W which I was scanning, so contrast is always an issue. But I just found the 28 Elmarit ASPH to be far too contrasty for my liking. It is darn sharp though, even wide open.

Although it's in an entirely different price range, I found the 28 Summicron mated very nicely with my 50 Lux.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 01-22-2015   #14
Steve Hoffman
Leicanutt

Not that anyone cares but personally I use a Summilux (vers. 3) 50 and a 24 f 2.8 Elmarit ASPH as my wide lens. (Got it as part of a barter deal for some work I did). The 24 (to me) is a great lens and I really like the finder for it. It's pretty accurate. You can get the 24 cheaper now that the new lens is out there..

Just a thought..

Old 01-22-2015   #15
Timmyjoe

Steve,

How is the contrast on the 24 Elmarit ASPH? Is it as contrasty as the 28, and how does it mate up with your 50 lux?

Thanks.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 01-22-2015   #16
neonart

Great combo. I haven't shot either on film, but I can't imagine them not being suitable for it.

The 50 Lux ASPH is a better lens, and it should be. However, shot side by side they have similar qualities in color, contrast, and rendering. If you're not pixel peeping (loupe peeping) the difference besides DOF and FOV is minimal.

Also, the 28 is SO tiny it makes for a really compact setup thats a pleasure to use.

Old 01-22-2015   #17
oldoc
oldoc

Very nice combo. I like the Elmarit, but got the summicron and never looked back. Very sharp wide-open, and I like it better.

Leica M10P and assorted stuff.

My Images:
www.pbase.com/meephoto

Old 01-22-2015   #18
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

A very fine duo, Asim.
My favorite FL is 50.
With that as a starting point, I find 35 too close and not wide enough while 24 leaves too large a gap.
28 is just the right wide angle pairing, IMO.

Should you become a WA addict as so many of us are you could, in the future, create a nice trio with an 18 or 21, skipping the 24 and 35 altogether.

hmm...18-28-50....I like it!

Fuji X Pro2
Fuji X E2
Fuji X100s
Panasonic GX1 w/ 20mm F1.7
Nikon D800E

introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 01-22-2015   #19
ChipMcD

Another second for what others have written. The 28mm Elmarit ASPH was my first Leica lens. It's a tiny jewel, and is the sharpest 28mm with the smallest amount of distortion I've ever used. Other than the wide field of view, you won't be aware of using a wide angle lens.

Old 01-22-2015   #20
lawrence

Personally I'm just too much in love with the 35mm FoV to go for this combo. I currently use 25-35-50, which just about covers everything I want to shoot (about 90% on the 35mm) but why not buy the Elmarit and see if you like it. You won't have any difficulty selling it if you don't.

Old 01-22-2015   #21
YYV_146

The elmarit bokeh is actually great - its just that there isn't a whole lot of it.

I really enjoyed mine and regretted selling it...

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 02-01-2015   #22
neonart

Just a thought about the 28/50 combo. If you shoot with the 50 mostly, the 28mm "framelines" are always there. It's the rest of the viewfinder. This is nice, because as you shoot in the 50mm FOV, you always know what the frame would be in 28mm FOV without doing anything at all. But I guess the same applies for just about any other FL and a 28 on a .68 Leica.

Old 02-01-2015   #23
thompsonks

Another dissent, like Timmyjoe's: You mentioned that you shoot mostly slide film – in which case I'd avoid this lens because of its especially high contrast. As Sean Reid pointed out when the lens was released, it's not a good 'sunny day' lens – it can't 'see' far enough into the shadows.

I sold mine in favor of a Summicron, but no longer use it much. My Goldilocks 28 is the Hexar, which is quite sharp without excessive contrast. And it too is a small lens.

Kirk

Old 02-01-2015   #24
smk

I also use an MP but for B&W photographs so a bit different than slide film.

For a while I only used 50 Summilux ASPH and the little 28mm Elmarit ASPH. Until I saw the rendering of the 28mm Summicron. After resisting it for a while, I finally gave in and traded the Elmarit for the Summicron and never looked back. In fact, I find the Summicron to be much closer in rendering to the 50mm Summilux ASPH.

S.

Old 02-01-2015   #25
maddoc
... likes film.

After having seen this guy`s work using almost exclusively the 28mm Summicron ASPH (BW film, though) I would add the required money and buy the 28Cron instead.

flickr
pBase

Old 02-01-2015   #26
VertovSvilova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
I'll be the fly in the ointment on this one. I was not a fan of the 28 Elmarit ASPH only because I found it to be a VERY high contrast lens, and did not feel it mated well with my 50 Lux. Now I was shooting almost exclusively B&W which I was scanning, so contrast is always an issue. But I just found the 28 Elmarit ASPH to be far too contrasty for my liking. It is darn sharp though, even wide open.

Although it's in an entirely different price range, I found the 28 Summicron mated very nicely with my 50 Lux.

Best,
-Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonks View Post
Another dissent, like Timmyjoe's: You mentioned that you shoot mostly slide film – in which case I'd avoid this lens because of its especially high contrast. As Sean Reid pointed out when the lens was released, it's not a good 'sunny day' lens – it can't 'see' far enough into the shadows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
After having seen this guy`s work using almost exclusively the 28mm Summicron ASPH (BW film, though) I would add the required money and buy the 28Cron instead.
I'm also in the same camp. It's film only for me and after owning the Elmarit for a while, I went with the Summicron instead. Much nicer contrast for film. Overall it matches the 50 Summilux a lot better, imho. I personally think it's one of Leica's best lenses. And thanks to its higher price compared to the Elmarit, it seems to be a not-so sought after lens, too. That makes it a steal used. Used prices on the Summicron are really good in respect to the current new lens prices. $4295 ($4045 with the current discount) for new and averaging at around $2400 now used.

btw, the lens without factory hood is actually pretty small. Use a step up ring instead for a hood and it's a compact lens.

Old 02-02-2015   #27
thompsonks

Or you can use the 35 f1.4 hood, which is smaller than the bespoke one, blocks less of the finder, and doesn't vignette on 28 Cron.

And yes, prices of 28 Cron seem to have come way down. Perhaps bcz we now have higher ISOs and don't need wide apertures as often?

Kirk

Old 02-02-2015   #28
VertovSvilova

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonks View Post
Or you can use the 35 f1.4 hood, which is smaller than the bespoke one, blocks less of the finder, and doesn't vignette on 28 Cron.

And yes, prices of 28 Cron seem to have come way down. Perhaps bcz we now have higher ISOs and don't need wide apertures as often?
I did use the 35 pre-FLE Summilux hood for a while but found that the locking ring is too close to the aperture ring and for me it became just too awkward, so I went with a B+W step up ring which is like a functional mini hood. The lens is pretty small and compact that way, too. I really like this lens. It's sharp but has more of a 'classic' style look to it, at least with film. The Elmarit to me was more like a modern ZM lens in respect to contrast. And sharp but not that much character to it. It's kind of a 'transparent' lens, imho.

With the 28mm Summilux ASPH eventually coming (already here as part of the Leica M edition '100 Years') the Summicron probably will drop further in price on the used market.

Old 02-03-2015   #29
thompsonks

It's an odd development: Leica bringing out more Wide Summiluxes when other manufacturers are staying at f1.8 or 2, and significantly increasing ISO.