Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

'Henry Carter-Persol'...
Old 10-27-2014   #1
Takkun
Ian M.

'Henry Carter-Persol'...

Hi everyone! Grad school is in full force and I think I've picked up the Leicas twice in the last month.

My design studio has an interesting project for the rest of the quarter--a workspace and gallery for a photographers' collective. As such, we've all been assigned to research and analyze a particular group of photographers. Finally, that photo degree paid off!

It also meant listening to 15 really awful presentations and biting my tongue.

From one:
"Henry Carter Persol was the inventor of the Decisive Movement, which was a movement to only click the shutter when you've decided have the picture you want."

And on Robert Capa's "The Falling Soldier:"

"This image represents the sublimation of eroticization of war, as exemplified by the phallic imagery of the weapon."

Yep. Sure.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 10-27-2014   #2
peterm1

Those who can't do.......teach. Those who can't teach, just stand up front and talk bullsh#t to graduate students while demanding that they be taken seriously. Speaking personally I stay well clear of anything with the word "collective" in the name as its bound to be full of know nothing tossers of the sort described above.

Hope your tongue has healed :^) Good luck.

PS I never heard of Henri Cater Persol but he sure makes good sun glasses. I own a pair. Sunglasses, cameras - they both have lenses so you can excuse his mistake surely??????

http://blog.incipeindustries.com/persol-714-sunglasses

Old 10-27-2014   #3
Takkun
Ian M.

Well, in my professor's defense, almost everyone teaching here are practicing or retired architects. This one in particular has a habit of referencing 70s SNL sketches (and broke into Steve Martin's 'King Tut' at one point today), but is generally pretty stellar.

This was a student presentation I was trying to sit through. I laughed a little, and resisted pulling out my M8, when she said "He used an old-fashioned camera called a Leica that didn't have a light meter and only could take 36 pictures at a time."

As for collectives, I agree. The person presenting on Group F/64 said, quite poignantly, that they 'had the first manifesto I ever read that didn't denigrate other artists.'

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 10-27-2014   #4
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
Well, in my professor's defense, almost everyone teaching here are practicing or retired architects. This one in particular has a habit of referencing 70s SNL sketches (and broke into Steve Martin's 'King Tut' at one point today), but is generally pretty stellar.

This was a student presentation I was trying to sit through. I laughed a little, and resisted pulling out my M8, when she said "He used an old-fashioned camera called a Leica that didn't have a light meter and only could take 36 pictures at a time."

As for collectives, I agree. The person presenting on Group F/64 said, quite poignantly, that they 'had the first manifesto I ever read that didn't denigrate other artists.'

I wondered if he was being satirical.

BTW Your comment reminds me that I have noticed an interesting thing in relation to M8s. Young women love them. Its odd I am an older guy (I look perhaps 45-50 but wont say how old I really am ;^) ) but I am constantly getting admiring comments - always without fail from younger women. I am realistic enough (and humble enough) to understand its the camera not me they are admiring. There is something about "retro" that appeals to 20 somethings.

Old 10-28-2014   #5
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I am realistic enough (and humble enough) to understand its the camera not me they are admiring.
Depends where it's hanging...