Old 09-29-2014   #201
dfatty

thanks for the instructions for vmware install, ronw. i haven't been able to get it to work on my windows 7 computer, will give your instructions a try.

i have been able to get it work on an old very underpowered xp netbook - the results are pretty outstanding. very sharp, color is excellent (only scanned color so far), the scanning is super fast, and dust reduction works very well. the lack of instructions other than "informal" ones (which are good but short - thanks to the folks that posted them!) has me a bit flustered. but in one day i've accidentally managed to scan strips for 20 rolls through some trial and error, lol. the results blow away the 35mm scans i tried on the epson v700, and it's so fast even using ICE.

it actually works pretty well on the old xp netbook laptop. i wouldn't really mind continuing to use the netbook, except it's really slow copying the images to a flash drive (so i can do postprocessing on a faster computer with a bigger screen). the old netbook doesn't seem to slow down the actual scanning process too much, although "exporting" the images from the PSI software to the harddrive is a bit slow.

Old 09-29-2014   #202
ronw

Dean,
No worries, I hope it helps.

When I look in my PSI About tab it says v3. but when i select C41/BW it scans and desplays the thumbnails as a Positive image but when it saves, its color file and in revers. I have to batch process all of them in photoshop to RGB to Grayscale then Inverse all of them. doable but a PITA. Am I missing something?

thanks
toyo 45a
iwolfe.tumblr.com

Old 09-29-2014   #203
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfatty View Post
although "exporting" the images from the PSI software to the harddrive is a bit slow.
Actually exporting is just slow. A speedier computer is not likely to help you very much.
I just export to a file on the desktop and then Drag/Drop onto a thumby when I'm done with a scanning session.

There is a certain freedom having a dedicated old XP laptop for the Pakon scanner.
The more I read about using the scanner with a virtual XP setup the less I wish to do so.

I put a want to buy add here on the forum for an XP laptop and was offered a Dell 620 something with 2G of Ram and plenty of CPU for $55. Craigslist has the same sort of deals although... unknown sellers.
This machine performs well beyond the need of the scanner.
Plus it's small enough to sit on a shelf with the scanner out of my way and unaided while it works.

Cheers!

Old 09-29-2014   #204
dfatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronw View Post
Dean,
No worries, I hope it helps.

When I look in my PSI About tab it says v3. but when i select C41/BW it scans and desplays the thumbnails as a Positive image but when it saves, its color file and in revers. I have to batch process all of them in photoshop to RGB to Grayscale then Inverse all of them. doable but a PITA. Am I missing something?

thanks
I had that happen, it saved negatives when I checked the box that says "Save Raw" or something like that. If you uncheck that box, it'll save the images as a positive.

Old 09-29-2014   #205
ronw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfatty View Post
I had that happen, it saved negatives when I checked the box that says "Save Raw" or something like that. If you uncheck that box, it'll save the images as a positive.
Awesome! I think I had checked that thinking Raw means better but I guess they just mean, it will leave it the raw negative and I flip it myself vs its software.

Any recommendation of saving the BW as a BW and not a color scan of my BW neg?

ron
toyo 45a
iwolfe.tumblr.com

Old 09-29-2014   #206
f16sunshine

Are you taking about the Sepia tone?

There are 3 settings for B+W

Normal
Sepia
Cool

Normal actually has a slight bit of Sepia toning.
If you want pure greyscale , choose "cool".
Rolf here taught me that one.
He and others here on the forum are really very helpful and experienced.

I leave it on normal and then just desaturate during Post.

Old 09-29-2014   #207
dfatty

Quote:

Any recommendation of saving the BW as a BW and not a color scan of my BW neg?

ron
I haven't scanned any BW yet, only color negs. Looks like f16 sunshine might have the info you need

Old 09-29-2014   #208
dfatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Actually exporting is just slow. A speedier computer is not likely to help you very much.
I just export to a file on the desktop and then Drag/Drop onto a thumby when I'm done with a scanning session.

There is a certain freedom having a dedicated old XP laptop for the Pakon scanner.
The more I read about using the scanner with a virtual XP setup the less I wish to do so.

I put a want to buy add here on the forum for an XP laptop and was offered a Dell 620 something with 2G of Ram and plenty of CPU for $55. Craigslist has the same sort of deals although... unknown sellers.
This machine performs well beyond the need of the scanner.
Plus it's small enough to sit on a shelf with the scanner out of my way and unaided while it works.

Cheers!
yeah, the idea of having a dedicated laptop is nice. maybe i'll look into one that's a bit more powerful than a netbook if they can be had for so cheap. at worst, even if doesn't speed up the process, it'll have a bigger screen and keyboard, the netbook is so small it's hard to work on.

Old 09-29-2014   #209
ronw

I'll check on those settings when I get home tonight.
My last bw scans i did yesterday looked a little soft. I will rescan scan then with my flat bed for comparison since I also change form D76 std dev to hc110 with 60 min semi stand development. I also read that Digital Ice doesn't work for true bw film because the silver tricks it so that could be also an issue so i'll try it with ICE off for comparison. Still learning and will have to see what works best.
thanks for all the info.
toyo 45a
iwolfe.tumblr.com

Old 09-30-2014   #210
ronw

you guys are awesome, unchecked the SAVE AS RAW, unchecked the Digital Ice (since the silver doesnt work with the infra red i guess) and changed the neck to cool and every thing is perfect. its a bit grainy for 125 box speed and semi stand. what do you guys do for setting for sharpness?

toyo 45a
iwolfe.tumblr.com

Old 10-01-2014   #211
android

ronw, that shot looks great! Can I ask.. where do you set the B&W output to cool? All I see is colour or C41 so have been converting to B&W in Lightroom. Is there a way to scan straight to B&W within the Pakon UI?

Old 10-01-2014   #212
Balto

Ronw, sharpen the file in photoshop if you have it, the sharpening algorithm used in PSI is very rudimentary compared to the modern adobe systems.

Android, I don't think there is, I haven't found one, set an import preset for lightroom that converts everything to B&W if you use LR

Old 10-01-2014   #213
ronw

Android, I set the bw to cool after the scan and before the save. look to the lower buttons on the PSI window titled "More Options" iirc. it should be there.

Balto, I do have ps and will play with it. I was messing with the sharpen slider in PSI and wondering, when it scans if it applies that sharpness level to the image then when i adjust it down in PSI, if applies an unsharpening algorithm vs reducing the amount of sharpness that was initially applied, in effect getting a copy degradation. is there a way to get a true RAW unmolested scan and i apply the sharpness, contrast, saturation I want later in PS?
toyo 45a
iwolfe.tumblr.com

Old 10-01-2014   #214
android

Quote:
Android, I set the bw to cool after the scan and before the save. look to the lower buttons on the PSI window titled "More Options" iirc. it should be there.
Aha..! Yes, thanks. So in effect, the PSI software is just converting the colour scans to B&W, just as you would do in Lightroom (or other).

Thanks again ronw.

Old 10-04-2014   #215
rolfe

Quote:
you guys are awesome, unchecked the SAVE AS RAW, unchecked the Digital Ice (since the silver doesnt work with the infra red i guess) and changed the neck to cool and every thing is perfect. its a bit grainy for 125 box speed and semi stand. what do you guys do for setting for sharpness?

If you are going to sharpen later in PS or LR, turn the Pakon sharpening all the way down. If you'd like to do a sort of hybrid workflow, turn it halfway down. In no case should it be left at the default, which is way too aggressive.

Rolfe

Old 10-21-2014   #216
bence8810

Just a quick update to my last post, despite getting the scanner without hassle from Fedex, 2 weeks after delivery I got an invoice by mail to pay $12USD customs tax. Of course this is very little but it only is as AAA somehow magically marked the value down to $100 despite refusing to do so in an email.

So just remember, even if you don't have to pay the delivery guy, you may get an invoice later to pay the import duties.

The Pakon is going strong otherwise, scratching my negatives so I use it with the lid off and hand feeding the film which is annoying a little.

Any of you getting scratches?

Thanks,
Ben

Old 01-14-2015   #217
xavoy

I found a reasonably priced F-235+ right here in Sydney and picked it up today. It came with a Windows 2000 PC too!

I'm still experimenting, and after getting everything set up, managed some very reasonable colour scans right off the bat. Problem is I barely ever shoot colour, and after hours of playing just cannot get B&W files to scan properly.

I've got version 2.4 of the software, and am hoping the F235+ is supported by version 3.0 as some people in this thread (ronw especially) mentioned a few tools in PSI that I currently don't have in my version, but that would be very handy (like the ejector button for the strips of film - mine seem to be getting stuck every time too).

I can't find a download for version 3.0 yet, but here's to hoping I can get my hands on a copy, and eventually get some reasonable B&W scans out of this thing. I'm shooting a lot of film these days and this thing could potentially save me hours every week. I've just requested to join the Facebook Pakon F135 group in the hope that someone might point me in the right direction.

P.S - LOVE your work ronw. Really beautiful stuff!

Old 01-14-2015   #218
bence8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavoy View Post
I've just requested to join the Facebook Pakon F135 group in the hope that someone might point me in the right direction.

P.S - LOVE your work ronw. Really beautiful stuff!
Once you get access which should be quick, you'll see the new SW as the very top post on the page. Download / install and you should be good to go!

Congrats on the purchase!
Ben

Old 01-15-2015   #219
xavoy

Thanks Ben,

Was finally approved and posted an SOS. Got some great help! It's bad news but hopefully after a bit of cleaning and a new bulb things will work out. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-15-2015   #220
bence8810

Quote:
Thanks Ben,

Was finally approved and posted an SOS. Got some great help! It's bad news but hopefully after a bit of cleaning and a new bulb things will work out. Fingers crossed.
Sorry to hear your trouble with the scanner. Weird you have a bulb issue, I thought a bulb is either lit or dead, not like yours - producing not good enough results.

I have the F135+ and I also thought mine was a lemon as it makes a sort of wining noise when the motor is turning but after 10+ rolls it didn't get worse and the quality I get from it is amazing. Thinking about buying another one in case this dies. I think I couldn't go back to scanning with a normal scanner after this.

Ben

Old 01-16-2015   #221
xavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bence8810 View Post
Sorry to hear your trouble with the scanner. Weird you have a bulb issue, I thought a bulb is either lit or dead, not like yours - producing not good enough results.

I have the F135+ and I also thought mine was a lemon as it makes a sort of wining noise when the motor is turning but after 10+ rolls it didn't get worse and the quality I get from it is amazing. Thinking about buying another one in case this dies. I think I couldn't go back to scanning with a normal scanner after this.

Ben
It's very strange, looks like it could be the filter motor at this stage. Will get in touch with some people who might service it (or at least offer advice) on Monday.

And can totally understand wanting a spare. I shoot so much film atm (just took delivery of another 50 rolls today, won't last too long) that this device could potentially save me days every month. I'm already looking for a reasonably priced dead one.

Old 01-16-2015   #222
wblynch

The F-235 should scan black and white even with the older software. But the newer version is better anyway. Mostly because the packages and burning to Pakon CD works better.

By the way, PSI saves even 'black and white' as color files. You can convert them later in post processing for true grayscale.

Old 01-28-2015   #223
bhop73

I've been thinking about getting one of these, but curious, does it crop the frames? How close to the edges does it scan? I haven't seen anyone mention that.

That's one thing I do like about the v700 i'm using, I can get right up to the edge, or even include the frame border if I want, but it's just so slow..

Old 01-28-2015   #224
jackbaty

Have you seen prices on the F135 lately? I definitely got on board too late. For example, eBay seller "usedphotolab" listed them "as-is" at $330 10 days ago and now they're over $800. I bought one at $330 and 2 hours into it the power on it failed and I smelled something burning. Not good. Looking around, most folks who had them are out of stock and those that do have them (and stand by them) are selling at $800-$1000. I'm still buying another one but it's painful.

Old 01-28-2015   #225
bhop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbaty View Post
Have you seen prices on the F135 lately? I definitely got on board too late. For example, eBay seller "usedphotolab" listed them "as-is" at $330 10 days ago and now they're over $800. I bought one at $330 and 2 hours into it the power on it failed and I smelled something burning. Not good. Looking around, most folks who had them are out of stock and those that do have them (and stand by them) are selling at $800-$1000. I'm still buying another one but it's painful.
After my previous post I looked around the web and noticed the same thing. I guess the boat has sailed.. oh well, i'm happy with the quality of my V700, just not the time it takes to scan a roll.

Old 01-28-2015   #226
David_Manning

I can't believe I actually caught something on the ground floor!!! Usually I end up buying after the trend catches fire and I pay full retail.

A scan today from some film I exposed Sunday, Contax T3...

Old 01-28-2015   #227
bence8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73 View Post
I've been thinking about getting one of these, but curious, does it crop the frames? How close to the edges does it scan? I haven't seen anyone mention that.

That's one thing I do like about the v700 i'm using, I can get right up to the edge, or even include the frame border if I want, but it's just so slow..
Yes it does crop a bit. There is a registry patch you can pass on the Windows XP host machine that extends the edges a little but there's still a little crop. As we know, negatives aren't perfect rectangles and with a flatbed we adjust the crop factor ourselves with the Marque. However, in the Pakon everything goes automated so it'll crop a little more just to be sure. I haven't found this to be troubling and besides I have a V750 which I can use for scans where I really need perfection. (this has yet to happen!)

I love the pakon and feel like a fool for not buying two while I could. Wonder what I'll do when this goes belly up....

Ben

Old 02-03-2015   #228
wblynch

Those Pakon F-135's were dirt cheap because a flood of them hit from all the CVS stores that dumped them.

Sooner or later they had to get absorbed. Looks like now is the 'sooner'...

Old 02-03-2015   #229
nikku

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
Those Pakon F-135's were dirt cheap because a flood of them hit from all the CVS stores that dumped them.

Sooner or later they had to get absorbed. Looks like now is the 'sooner'...
Yep, looks like it. Wish I would have heard about these before this week. I love my Coolscan but do not love the scanning times. But at least my Coolscan does B+W and E6 with no issues.

Of course what I'd really like is a Kodak HR 500....

Old 02-04-2015   #230
GarageBoy

Dammit... missed the boat...
Why can't someone clone one of these and call it day?

Old 02-04-2015   #231
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
Dammit... missed the boat...
Why can't someone clone one of these and call it day?
These went for thousands of dollars when new, so I would not expect a new one to cost any less than the current jacked-up prices.

Of course, when you get used to something costing $250 it's hard to see it go up to #350 and the current $1000 insanity.

For me speed is not paramount, but automation is. I don't mind feeding one roll and then go do something else for one hour. It's still faster than a trip to the minilab and I can do other things. Plus, depending on the scanner, results tend to exceed the minilab auto settings, especially on challenging negs.

For $1000 there are better full automation alternatives to the Pakon, but for $350 it was hard to beat despite its quirks.

Old 02-04-2015   #232
WJJ3

Pakon 135s are selling for a grand now? Maybe I should sell mine and use the money to build a darkroom

It looks like AAA has them listed for $350...

Old 02-04-2015   #233
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
Pakon 135s are selling for a grand now? Maybe I should sell mine and use the money to build a darkroom

It looks like AAA has them listed for $350...
OH, i see it says out of stock.
Glad I jumped on this boat early...

Old 02-04-2015   #234
xavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
For $1000 there are better full automation alternatives to the Pakon, but for $350 it was hard to beat despite its quirks.
What alternatives would you suggest for $1000?

Old 02-05-2015   #235
nikku

Quote:
What alternatives would you suggest for $1000?
Yes, please enlighten us...the roll film adapter alone for the Coolscan 4000/5000 currently sells for $1000+. I don't know of any dedicated film scanners that can scan an entire roll at a time as fast as the Pakon (and still fit on a desktop).

Old 02-05-2015   #236
Tijmendal
Young photog

Glad I bought mine a little over a year ago for 250$...

Old 02-05-2015   #237
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
Yes, please enlighten us...the roll film adapter alone for the Coolscan 4000/5000 currently sells for $1000+. I don't know of any dedicated film scanners that can scan an entire roll at a time as fast as the Pakon (and still fit on a desktop).

I don't know of any scanner faster than the Pakon nor to have better profiles for the most common emulsions. The sub $1000 alternative provides better IQ, more ability to have the scanner do the least processing (via Vuescan), and full automation. Please PM.

Xavoy, not sure if a sub-$1000 is available in AU.

Old 02-24-2015   #238
f16sunshine

HU for refurbished Pakons. AAA has some for $250 again.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181672095617?_mwBanner=1

It's for the F135 not the F135+ . Smaller scanned file but, the FB page v3 Software still runs it.

From the AAA page

Quote:
n the Pakon f135 non-plus & Plus scanner. The non-plus scans at a (4 Base) 1000x1500ppi about 4x6 @300dpi & (8 base) 1500x3000ppi about 5x7 @ 300dpi files. The Plus scans at the (4 Base), (8 Base) and the (16 base) 2000x3000ppi about 8x10 @ 300dpi files. The Plus scanner is also a little faster then the non-plus scanner. If your goal is to have good looking files to look at on your digital devises like your computer, TV, phones or tablets the non-plus is all you need.

Last edited by f16sunshine : 02-24-2015 at 07:58. Reason: Text added.

Old 03-10-2015   #239
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

What about usuing Pakon for 16mm telecine? Could it accept smaller film and how feeding works (any registration)?

Old 03-11-2015   #240
wblynch

The Pakons can only take 135 (or 240 APS, depending on model)

The sprocket rollers would chew that 16mm up and mangle the film (if you got it to go in at all)

If you were to try I would suggest the F-235C or F-335C. They have an automatic 240 film feed and who knows, you might create something.

Maybe a machinist friend could create new rollers for you and mask out the open edges. Even then the frames would be way off.

It would take a lot of effort.