Old 09-10-2014   #161
pbo

I was about to pull the trigger on the aaimaging offering when the price suddenly went up!

Yesterday I noticed another listing popped up from another seller. His asking price is pretty low, but shipping is kind of high. I made an offer and he accepted, so soon I should be getting the scanner! I will post back when I get it and confirm whether it works or not - this seller makes no guarantees on the working condition, so it's a slight gamble. The post-offer price including shipping is lower than the old aaimaging pre-shipping price though!

Old 09-10-2014   #162
f16sunshine

^^^^^

Too risky for me. He makes no claims that it works? You may get a brick.
AAA has a 90 warranty. That's long enough to debug the machine.
One of our members (David Manning Iirc) had to exchange the scanner he received.
AAA back it up completely after sale. That's worth a lot .
Anyway good luck! I hope it works out for you

Old 09-10-2014   #163
Byteside

Quote:
Originally Posted by bence8810 View Post
Guys, I am ordering the Pakon scanner tomorrow but was just wondering how much you paid for "international" shipping? I seem to recall from this thread someone saying $40USD to Holland.

I am in Japan and on their Ebay site the shipping comes out to $74USD and on the aaaimaging site it is $83USD. Dropped them an email about the same but wanted to ask you guys how much you ended up forking out for the shipping?

Right now with the $300 pricetag and the 75 shipping, it isn't that cheap anymore. I got my V750 for $370 brand new in Japan.

Thanks,
Ben

I bought the Pakon from aaaimagingsolutions on ebay for 250 dollars and 60 dollars for shipping to the Netherlands (on Jul 23, 2014). Do be warned, aaaimagingsolutions does not use ebay correctly, because I got after delivery around 70 dollars import charges/tax from FedEx. Other Ebay sellers show/have the option to pay import charges directly when buying the product. This way you see how much the import charges are and saves (possible) trouble (and might also be lower, because you save on administration costs of around 10 dollar from FedEx). The amount of import charges might be very different depending on country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge100 View Post
A few users on the Pakon FB group have figured out how to scan slide film with it, without all of the horrible posterization and loss of shadow detail that those us who had tried to scan slides with the F135+ had seen previously.

I'm still testing the protocol, but it looks very promising.
Do you perhaps know more about this group? Do they have a website with info and downloads? I tried to join, but did not get in. I would like more information on reverse engineering and memory locations. I tried IDA Pro (free) and Ollydbg, but got stuck on the dll the program uses, I have no experience with dll's (in theory should not be much different than exe).

Old 09-10-2014   #164
bence8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byteside View Post
I bought the Pakon from aaaimagingsolutions on ebay for 250 dollars and 60 dollars for shipping to the Netherlands (on Jul 23, 2014). Do be warned, aaaimagingsolutions does not use ebay correctly, because I got after delivery around 70 dollars import charges/tax from FedEx. Other Ebay sellers show/have the option to pay import charges directly when buying the product. This way you see how much the import charges are and saves (possible) trouble (and might also be lower, because you save on administration costs of around 10 dollar from FedEx). The amount of import charges might be very different depending on country.
Thanks for that! I got a reply back from them this morning and they say shipping will be no matter what $85USD. If I also get charged import duties, this might just end up being an expensive rig after all...

On your other question, I don't know anything about programming but I was let in the FB group in a matter of a few hours. You might want to try again.

Thanks,
Ben

Old 09-10-2014   #165
rolfe

These things cost $12,000 originally. Does it really matter whether it is $250 or $300? Either way it is a steal.

Old 09-10-2014   #166
bence8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
These things cost $12,000 originally. Does it really matter whether it is $250 or $300? Either way it is a steal.
It is 10 years old after all and it isn't $300 but $450 with all included, but yes I am with you otherwise. It hasn't been replaced in 10 years so it's still the thing to get a full roll scanned at once.

I am buying it today.
Ben

Old 09-10-2014   #167
f16sunshine

My First four rolls to run through the "new" Pakon are hanging to dry.
Thank you Taemo for offering me an old XP laptop at a great price. The Driver is loaded and I'm Hoping for the best.
These Kodak scanners are serious business. It's small but a tank with a heavy metal bottom case.
What about possible film Jambs? I don't see how the top pops off? Does it?

I hope you all don't mind the questions. I'm resisting creating a new FB acct just to get to that group!
Any last minute tips for transferring files to a thumbie so I can then load them to my apple ecosystem by hand with and USB ?

Old 09-10-2014   #168
bence8810

Guys, pulled the trigger and ordered via Ebay. I asked the seller to mark the box clearly as Used Scanner, we'll see how it goes. It was $369 USD all together, we'll see what customs will add on top of this.

Quote:
What about possible film Jambs? I don't see how the top pops off? Does it?
I read somewhere or heard in a Youtube video that when you scan shorter strips than 4, you can do so by removing the lid and helping the film through to the place where the wheels will start taking it. This would mean that the top indeed comes off...

This also means I should scan my film before cutting it up as I normally use 135-24 films so it won't touch the ground while I am drying it and as I take a shot on "0" and "25" I end up with 26 frames. I cut them into strips of 6 which leaves me with a 5th strip of 2 frames only... Just thought of this. Might also be trouble scanning my archived negatives.

Ben

Old 09-10-2014   #169
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
There is a FB group that has multiple threads on this topic and the members are quite helpful troubleshooting
Thanks but I don't do Facebook; I had to think awhile what FB meant.

I pose the question again in hope someone here can answer:
Does the Pakon software work properly in Windows 7 XP mode?

TIA,
Chris

Old 09-10-2014   #170
android

Chris, I picked up a two year old laptop running Windows 7. I first tried XP in VMware and then XP mode. Neither worked. The Pakon would begin scanning and then throw up an error. I reached out to AAA and they said that I should be using a desktop, so I took the plunge and bought a second hand machine - the Pakon now works flawlessly. I'm not technical but I felt that maybe the slow bus speed on the laptop was the issue.

Old 09-11-2014   #171
f16sunshine

1st scan!
Man what a treat to be reminded of what XP was like

I'm not allowed in the FB group yet. A new acct with no posts I guess is too suspicious.
So lacking further information on how to scan traditional film (if there is any)... I just scanned using the BW Chromogenic mode. I left some of the tone in rather than desaturating to grey.
Lots to learn but ... here is an image.

Miranda at Juanita park by Adnan W, on Flickr

Cheers!

Old 09-11-2014   #172
bence8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
1st scan!
Man what a treat to be reminded of what XP was like

I'm not allowed in the FB group yet. A new acct with no posts I guess is too suspicious.
So lacking further information on how to scan traditional film (if there is any)... I just scanned using the BW Chromogenic mode. I left some of the tone in rather than desaturating to grey.
Lots to learn but ... here is an image.
Hey, that's brilliant. I can't wait to get my hands on mine.

If you have a new FB account, it indeed might be suspicious. Drop me a PM with your FB details and I'll send a note to the admin to allow you in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
TIA,
Chris
TIA means something entirely different in Blood Diamond. If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend it as it's brilliant. Since I've seen it, TIA always reminds me of that.

Ben

Old 09-11-2014   #173
bence8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Thanks but I don't do Facebook; I had to think awhile what FB meant.

I pose the question again in hope someone here can answer:
Does the Pakon software work properly in Windows 7 XP mode?

TIA,
Chris
By the way I hear there's a flickr group too which you might want to look up since you don't do FaceBook. I haven't looked as FB is their main hangout and is a heck of a lot more user friendly.

Ben

EDIT: here, looked it up for you: https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/discuss/

Last edited by bence8810 : 09-11-2014 at 02:08. Reason: Extra info

Old 09-11-2014   #174
Charles S

Here is a public thread with lots of information:

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6842.0

Old 09-11-2014   #175
bence8810

Got so excited, went ahead and installed Parallels on my iMac and am already running Windows XP SP3 on it. Was a breeze installing it and the guest (XP) machine has full access to the mac's HDD so I can just move the images over once scanned.

Now I just need to hope that the scanner will actually work with the Virtual machine.

Ben

Old 09-11-2014   #176
wblynch

Keep in mind that tons of these scanners hit the used market when CVS and other minilabs quit film and dumped them. Once the ones in stock at AAA and other resellers are gone, you will be left to fend on ebay.

When I got my F-235 there were lots available and the prices were cheap. No one knew what they were or how to get them working. But soon they seemed to disappear altogether and the prices went stupid high.

So get them while you can. Good luck,

Old 09-11-2014   #177
f16sunshine

^^

I agree ... it's later than we think with these scanners. No time to dally if one can fund it and has a need... go for it!

A question for you... what is the biggest advantage / disadvantage of the 235 vs 135 ?
I could google it yes but... would like to hear from a user of both machines. You're in a unique position.
Cheers

Old 09-11-2014   #178
f16sunshine

More images. This time with an XA3 and acros.
Not seeing the fine detail, tones, and grain level detail I get from the Nikon CS50 but... for the speed and ease of use this scanner is great!

Southworth Run 8-30-2014 1 by Adnan W, on Flickr

Southworth Run 8-30-2014 2 by Adnan W, on Flickr

Old 09-11-2014   #179
Bruno Gracia

Some Ektar 100 from M6 and Summarit 35:

Break time by Bruno Gracia, on Flickr

Lady in pink by Bruno Gracia, on Flickr

Pink by Bruno Gracia, on Flickr

Sitting by Bruno Gracia, on Flickr

Ladies by Bruno Gracia, on Flickr

Kiosko by Bruno Gracia, on Flickr

Old 09-11-2014   #180
Bruno Gracia

and some black and white with Barnack and Summaron 35 Fuji 100 SS Neopan expired:

Scan-140819-0016 by Bruno Gracia, on Flickr

Scan-140819-0026 by Bruno Gracia, on Flickr

Scan-140819-0025 by Bruno Gracia, on Flickr

Old 09-11-2014   #181
f16sunshine

^^^ Nice Bruno!
Hey this link is very good actually . Has most of the eseentials.
Thank you for posting it.

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6842.0

Old 09-11-2014   #182
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
Chris, I picked up a two year old laptop running Windows 7. I first tried XP in VMware and then XP mode. Neither worked. The Pakon would begin scanning and then throw up an error. I reached out to AAA and they said that I should be using a desktop, so I took the plunge and bought a second hand machine - the Pakon now works flawlessly. I'm not technical but I felt that maybe the slow bus speed on the laptop was the issue.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience.
The desktop runs Windows 7 Professional with MS Virtual PC in XP mode?

Chris

Old 09-12-2014   #183
Bruno Gracia

do You know if this little pakon , scans slides?

Old 09-12-2014   #184
Charles S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Gracia View Post
do You know if this little pakon , scans slides?
There is a possibility to scan slide film strips with some work-arounds, but not mounted slides, if that is what you meant

Old 09-12-2014   #185
Bruno Gracia

I meant strips, but the colors.. they are so strange!

Old 09-12-2014   #186
Charles S

Never tried it myself. but some of the FB group members swear by a piece of software called Colorperfect. Personally, I never tried slide film on the Pakon

Old 09-12-2014   #187
Bruno Gracia

mmm.. thanks Charles, I will try.

Old 09-17-2014   #188
bence8810

So in just 3 days the little Pakon hit the eastern shores of Japan, it's already at the customs section of the airport. Fingers crossed.

About shipping, on Ebay it was mentioned that it'll come with USPS International Priority mail but it actually was sent by Fedex International Economy, hence the $70USD price. Anyways, the estimated delivery on Ebay said 30th of September and it's already within a 25km radius from where I am, pretty fast. It's the 18th of September still.

Will update back once it lands. For now, I've installed Parallels with XP Professional. Parallels handles file sharing in a fantastic manner between the host and the guest, the virtual machine also by default has access to all the network shared drives found on the host.

Once it comes in, I'll post back with my installation success (or the opposite)

Happy Scanning!
Ben

Old 09-18-2014   #189
bence8810

Just a quick update to let you know, the scanner came in today and I wasn't charged customs what so ever, despite the fact that the value was noted as $299USD.

Might be luck or just the fact that it's an old item. I did ask the guys who sell it to mark "Old / Used item" on the box.

I'll update back once I got it working. The package is huge by the way, 5.3 KG. Will be fun carrying it home during Friday night rush in Tokyo. Sometimes the trains are so packed I can't reach my pocked to get the phone out.
Ben

EDIT:
To summarize shipping from aaaimaging:

US (Cali) - JP (Tokyo) / $70USD (through Ebay) / Fedex Int'l Economy / 4 days door to door / no duty charged

Old 09-20-2014   #190
f16sunshine

A few more from another test camera.
I'm trying out Eos Film Bodies. These shot with an Eos 650 and EF 50mm f1.8ii ("Plastic fantastic" with metal mount). Just test images.

The PSI is a pia program. I remember now how horrible some programs were to use.
It reminds me of the pessimism some people had about computers and the possibility that the internet was anything more than a toy for geeks.
Some programs were really horrible! Boy those days are sure forgotten! Well... until one needs to use their Pakon

I've learned that "brightness" in the PSI is actually more akin to exposure as we know it in LR and such.
If one wants control of scanning exposure, adjusting brightness is how you get it!

Garden Lamps f4
f4 sample by Adnan W, on Flickr

Watering can F4 at MFD
F4 MFD sample by Adnan W, on Flickr

Charly at f1.8
Charly by Adnan W, on Flickr

Old 09-20-2014   #191
bence8810

Hi there,

I am trying to get going with the Pakon but am not successful. Have followed all the tutorials I could find but no luck.

I am running Mac OSX on a 2009 iMac 20" and Windows XP in parallels 10. Installed the software, connected the scanner, it was recognised and when I install the drivers, it just gets stuck and does not move any further. Virtual XP is hanging and needs to be forced shut down and restarted. Tried all the different versions of the driver I could find but no luck.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ben

Old 09-20-2014   #192
f16sunshine

Ben I'm sorry I wish I could help you
I'm almost completely useless with these things.
I will say that even though I am using an XP laptop directly to the scanner, I still have trouble with the PSI seeing the machine.
I need to turn off and re-start for every session so far.
Good luck! i hope you get it going.

Old 09-21-2014   #193
bence8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Ben I'm sorry I wish I could help you
I'm almost completely useless with these things.
I will say that even though I am using an XP laptop directly to the scanner, I still have trouble with the PSI seeing the machine.
I need to turn off and re-start for every session so far.
Good luck! i hope you get it going.
Hi Andy,

I am here to report "partial" success at last!
This is what I did in details.

1. Replaced parallels 10 with 9
2. Ran the same VM - failed right away just like before. Parallels version doesn't seem to matter.
3. Removed the VM and re-installed another one from a different ISO image. This time I did no updates / no Service Packs (currently on SP2) etc.
4. Installed the scanner and the driver was loaded without trouble.
5. Fired up PSI or whatever that thing is called and looked at the interface. I nearly dropped from my chair, I haven't seen something this ancient in a long time! What a nasty user interface.

So why do I say partial success?
Well, I don't know how smooth scanning is for you guys but I ended up scratching the first negative i stuck in and after 3 tries, I still am not sure if I have something wrong with my scanner or just with me.

I have only scanned strips so far but inserting the film in, I can't really tell when is the scanner about to pick my images up. The wheels are squealing a little, I guess it's just the age. Otherwise the film strip once taken up, will travel at an even speed all the way to the end.

The second issue I have is that the film isn't completely released, I need to pull on it to get it out. The end is still inside the scanner's body.

Once I press the stop, i get a warning message that something happened, either the scanner has jammed or something was interrupted. Is this normal? Again, I scanned strips of 6...

The pictures otherwise looked normal to my surprise so I guess it's working...

I didn't find options about changing the location where images are saved but I blame it on me being tired and just wanting to conclude the day by saying "I fixed it!"

I'll look again tonight.

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited by bence8810 : 09-22-2014 at 00:54. Reason: Typo

Old 09-22-2014   #194
bence8810

Hello again,

I have done my first tests, scanned in a strip of 6 frames from a film that I previously scanned on my Epson V750 flatbed. This should not be treated as a quality comparison for the below 2 reasons:

1. With the Epson, I always scan flat, discarding the default look. The scanner will make an educated guess at what an image should look like, much like the Pakon, but then I push the White and Black points out all the way as far as I want them included and then later fix in Photoshop.
2. The Pakon is brand new to me, this is the first scan job I did and I left all settings untouched.

Still, I believe it's an interesting comparison, I was mainly looking for how well the Pakon frames and while it did chop small pieces off at places, I think it was due to the fact that the edge of the usable negative wasn't straight and it straightened it out.

Overall I am very satisfied!

TOP: Epson V750 - scanned flat on purpose
BOTTOM: Pakon F135 Plus - scanned without changing a thing

Ben

Old 09-22-2014   #195
frank-grumman

Because of this thread and the Pakon pages on FB, I'm close to getting one of these units. Q I have is this: who services it if it goes belly up?

Old 09-22-2014   #196
bence8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-grumman View Post
Because of this thread and the Pakon pages on FB, I'm close to getting one of these units. Q I have is this: who services it if it goes belly up?
As far as I am aware, you'll be your own serviceman.

I am playing with the idea of getting another unit just for parts or for spare. They stopped making these 10 years ago, God only knows how long they'll be available.
Check on FB, some of the guys put their units up for sale...

Good luck!
I am going to open mine up later next week as I get some nasty marks on the negatives once they ran through, just realized this.

Ben

Old 09-22-2014   #197
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-grumman View Post
AES service used to fix them. In the south somewhere. An overhaul on an F235 was about 300. Hint: don't scan negs that have a strip of paper on the side without removing the adhesive as well as the paper.

Dante

Old 09-22-2014   #198
pbo

My Pakon arrived as well

Everything is working well! I bought from an eBay seller and the scanner did not come with a warranty, but the price was just too good.

I was able to install PSI on a VirtualBox WinXP, MBP as a host. Everything runs okay after following the instructions on the filmwasters forum and using the software from the facebook group. If anyone is using VirtualBox and the system doesn't seem to even realize that something was plugged in, make sure you go into your Devices menu and activate the scanner as one of the USB devices! Also allocate more than 10GB hard disk space I am trying to expand my virtual drive because apparently 10GB is not enough.

The PSI software does feel 20th century! The roll numbering got me once, I sat there helplessly seeing my files from pervious roll overwritten with the new ones.. But at least rescanning takes 2 minutes!

A few first scans - some are a little misfocused, not Pakon's fault.. Overall very glad I got the machine!

AB022 by Bo Peng, on Flickr

AA015A by Bo Peng, on Flickr

AA011 by Bo Peng, on Flickr

AA010 by Bo Peng, on Flickr

AA004 by Bo Peng, on Flickr

AA003 by Bo Peng, on Flickr

AA001A (1) by Bo Peng, on Flickr

Old 09-23-2014   #199
frank-grumman

Ben and Dante, thanks for the info on repair. I kinda thought that would be the case. The photos you all are posting make a compelling argument for getting one. Good work

Old 09-28-2014   #200
ronw

Just picked one of these f135+ units up from AAAimaging and I must say, impressive. I'm new to the film to digital work flow but have been using an epson flatbed scanner and a recent image I scanned at 2400 dpi took MANY min to scan and still wasnt overly impressive.

After a long battle getting the Pakon software to work with my mbp, success and it scans so FAST! the iq is amazing for this little guy and the price.

I saw a few guides but had to go to several sources to finally get it to work but here is a summary of the steps i went thru to get it working:
1) install vmware fusion 7 on MBP (Mavericks 10.9.5)
2) run vmware fusion 7 and install windows7
3) get window7 to emulate xp in "xp mode", i used this install guide:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7
4) followed the guide titled Installing Pakon software on Windows7 in the FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/kodak...53039434715096
-note: i grabbed the updated zip file from FB with the v3.0 files but couldn't install successfully so i installed off the included CD which was v2.4 then install/modified again with the v3.0 after but it worked fine and really i didnt notice the difference.
5) followed the Quick Start Guide again on the FB page.
https://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_do...vUiWdVZ4Xy7cov
-note: when you launch the PSI software, look to the upper left of the XP emulation window and you will see a Pull down tab "USB", in that, if all the above was successful and you plugged the Pakon in and it saw it an loaded the driver, the Pakon should be listed on this, you need to allow the XP emulator access ie "Attached". the PSI application can now see the scanner in XP.
-note: when you are in PSI, in the upper left of the window you will see a button to click to toggle between EasyOrder and Classic View. It defaults to EasyOrder and I couldn't figure out how to save once scanned but in ClassiveView, there is a save button to select where you want it to save.
6) streamlining scanned image save location workflow: under XP ->My Computer->C: (this is the Windows 7 drive)-> Users -> Ron -> Desktop. create a shotcut for that path and put that on the XP desktop. This allows me to save to that shortcut folder which is on the Windows7 desktop, and saving me time moving the output files once done. Then i just drag and drop those into the appropriate MBP folder for editing/manipulation.

I'm scanning film strips and that is a bit of a pain but at the top of the PSI software, there is a shuttle button to make the film feed out more once its done scanning because for some reason, each strip gets stuck at the end of the last frame. Almost no dust clean up in ps as well. best $300 I've spent getting into film

thanks all for posting information to get me to this point!!!

sample image from last weekend.
toyo 45a
iwolfe.tumblr.com