Old 08-03-2014   #121
rolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrak View Post
Is anyone offering them in Europe? The shipping and import tax makes it too expensive to buy it from american vendors.
AAAimaging.com will ship them anywhere in the world. I don't think shipping is too onerous...

Old 08-04-2014   #122
Byteside

I also bought the Pakon F135 from AAAImaging (ebay) and it works amazing. It's way faster than my Epson V370 and it has nicer colour and contrast. The shipping for me (to the Netherlands) was 60 dollar. Setting up gave some problems (USB cable was also crappy), but I got it working with Windows Virtual PC.

I would also like to scan 126 film, but the scanner does a bit strange with the colours (too red, but can be fixed), the framing goes wrong and most importantly the scanner doesn't get the whole image! Now I know that it probably cannot get the whole image because of the 'wheels' to move the film, but I was hoping if you guys know a way to get more image and better framing. I already took a closer look at the program. One thing I noticed is that the Setup>Scanner>Custom Framing option is turned off for me. I don't know what it can do, but perhaps this can help. Somebody perhaps know more about this?

Another idea I got was perhaps to physically move the lens so more gets scanned, but I first want to try with the software and get the framing turned off (or better settings).

The code of the program (analysed with IDA) does also mention "EnableSpliceModeOption" and "SpliceAdvance", but I do not see a way to activate these and what they do is unclear.

Old 08-05-2014   #123
A Y

Really dense negatives aren't great in the Pakon. I've been developing Acros in Xtol 1+1 recently, just trying to use up the Xtol before it goes bad, and I get really dense negatives if I expose my normal way. I have to basically underexpose to get scannable negs in this developer on the Pakon.

It's been said on the FB Pakon group that the blue light of the 135+ is what makes it unsuitable for slide film. Apparently, its bigger brothers, the 235 and 335, have a light source with a switchable color that uses a white light in slide mode.

Finally, it appears that Kodak is interested in feedback on how they might (emphasis on ”might”) improve the Pakon. Please weigh in, so they know you're out there:

https://twitter.com/kodakCB/status/496321153401896961

Old 08-05-2014   #124
Byteside

That is amazing news. Really cool that they might improve the Pakon Software. I'm gonna make a Twitter account right away. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-11-2014   #125
Paul Jonathan

Got my Pakon up and running - thanks for the advice from everyone here.

Now, I scanned a lot of B/W this weekend, but taking them into Photoshop I am a little confused (or maybe just new to this whole scanning business - until this spring I would only do printing). The tiff files I export from the Pakon software are RGB files, i.e. there is some color info embedded. Indeed when I set them to gray scale in Ps the picture changes visibly.

So why is the scanner recording color where there is none? I set the scanner to B/W when scanning - is there some other setting I missed?

Old 08-11-2014   #126
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I ordered one a few days ago.

Chris

Old 08-11-2014   #127
djcphoto
An Englishman Abroad

How can Kodak improve the Pakon? Keep making film!

Old 08-11-2014   #128
aadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
Got my Pakon up and running - thanks for the advice from everyone here.

Now, I scanned a lot of B/W this weekend, but taking them into Photoshop I am a little confused (or maybe just new to this whole scanning business - until this spring I would only do printing). The tiff files I export from the Pakon software are RGB files, i.e. there is some color info embedded. Indeed when I set them to gray scale in Ps the picture changes visibly.

So why is the scanner recording color where there is none? I set the scanner to B/W when scanning - is there some other setting I missed?
I believe the B/W option are meant for chromogenic C-41. Which is probably why it was saved as colour.. (?)

Old 08-13-2014   #129
f16sunshine

Hi All

I've been on the fence with this scanner and need a final nudge from you all.
To Recap:
I would be suing it strictly to scan Traditional B+W Negatives that I develop.
I need a whole roll scanner to quickly preview my tools before scanning with a Nikon CS50 or wet developing.
I also would use these files to share on the web under 3000pix is that correct?

My Computers are all Macs. I have one running old 10.8.5 in order to keep Nikon Scan on a native machine.
I understand I will need to use some sort of virtual set up to use this scanner with it's Version 3 software.
I know there is a FB group but I won't be going back to FB so I rely on you folks here.

Can you see me headed towards any trouble with what I just outlined?
Are the files really good enough to get a true representation of Development and focus (sharpness)?
Any other comments I greatly appreciate. I've scanned this entire thread. Sorry to be codependent
Looking for a reason to jump or jump back. Thanks!!!

Old 08-13-2014   #130
rolfe

You need to run Parallels, VMWare, or VirtualBox on the Mac, as I'm sure you know. You also need to run XP in the virfual machine -- not Windows 7 or 8, or any other permutation. You will need a real XP install disk with activation code. IMHO, Parallels is the simplest to set up. I would just check their website to make sure that the current version runs under 10.8.5 -- I'm sure it does, but I would doublecheck. The files are beautiful, easily good enough for 8x12 and probably 11x14.

Old 08-13-2014   #131
edge100
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Hi All

I've been on the fence with this scanner and need a final nudge from you all.
To Recap:
I would be suing it strictly to scan Traditional B+W Negatives that I develop.
v3 software handles this just fine.

Quote:
I need a whole roll scanner to quickly preview my tools before scanning with a Nikon CS50 or wet developing.
This is an IDEAL use of the Pakon (and precisely how I use mine).

Quote:
I also would use these files to share on the web under 3000pix is that correct?
Yup; roughly 3000 x 2000 (6MP).

Quote:
My Computers are all Macs. I have one running old 10.8.5 in order to keep Nikon Scan on a native machine.
I understand I will need to use some sort of virtual set up to use this scanner with it's Version 3 software.
Correct. I use Parallels, and once the software was installed, it works flawlessly.

Quote:
Can you see me headed towards any trouble with what I just outlined?
Nope. What you describe is precisely how I use my Pakon.

Quote:
Are the files really good enough to get a true representation of Development and focus (sharpness)?
In my experience, yes. On very high contrast negatives, the Pakon software tends to blow out the highlights in an effort to bring out the shadows. However, this is easily rectified before export; in fact, I generally apply a negative contrast and brightness adjustment to all of my Pakon B&W images, for just this reason, and then edit in LR.

I *highly* recommend the Pakon, if only for use as a digital proofing solution.

Old 08-13-2014   #132
f16sunshine

Thanks Guys. I just triggered the order!

Cheers!

Old 08-13-2014   #133
taemo

I didn't like the performance of Windows XP on a virtual environment, fortunately I had a spare laptop running Windows XP and have assigned it specifically for the Pakon scanner, now I'm not suffering any performance issue anymore.

f16sunshine, if you're curious here are 3 full-res scans from the Pakon.
The BW were converted to BW in LR
Yashica 35 CCN w/ Gold 200
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3911/...00c71128_o.jpg

M6 + CV 35mm Skopar w/ TMAX 400 @ 800
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3854/...be80b963_o.jpg

M6 + CV 35mm Skopar w/ Neopan 400 @ 1600 and Yellow filter
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5557/...ba1151c5_o.jpg

Old 08-13-2014   #134
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
I didn't like the performance of Windows XP on a virtual environment, fortunately I had a spare laptop running Windows XP and have assigned it specifically for the Pakon scanner, now I'm not suffering any performance issue anymore.

f16sunshine, if you're curious here are 3 full-res scans from the Pakon.
The BW were converted to BW in LR
Yashica 35 CCN w/ Gold 200
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3911/...00c71128_o.jpg

M6 + CV 35mm Skopar w/ TMAX 400 @ 800
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3854/...be80b963_o.jpg

M6 + CV 35mm Skopar w/ Neopan 400 @ 1600 and Yellow filter
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5557/...ba1151c5_o.jpg

Great thank you! That Tmax image is very cute!
I'm sure I have an XP laptop somewhere in the mix I can dedicate.
Can probably get one for Under $50 anyway.
Great idea!

Old 08-13-2014   #135
froyd

Taemo-

Thanks for the samples. On the second shot, do you see detail on the negative that's missed by the scan? Specifically, I'm looking at the blown out detail on the white dress.

Great shot, by the way!

Old 08-13-2014   #136
Balto

I have no problems running XP in virtualbox (free open source) on my 2009 iMac and then saving the files to a shared folder which I then transfer into Lightroom 4 in OSX. I use it to scan 95% b&w as that is what I shoot, then the occasional roll for a friend. If you know how to work the file you can easily get a nice quality image. Lowering the contrast while scanning helps a lot I've found. Everything on my site's blog is trix scanned with the pakon. I would like to get either a nikon or plustek scanner to use for higher res individual scans, but for web use (most of where my images end up) and proofing the speed and quality is hard to beat.

http://www.taoconnell.com/blog

Old 08-13-2014   #137
taemo

thanks all, I just quickly developed and scanned the frame last night but I'll run it on a loupe and V600 tonight to check for details

the shot was taken at f/2.5, 1/45s and flash power set to 1/8 so it might have been to hot as well

Old 08-13-2014   #138
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balto View Post
I have no problems running XP in virtualbox (free open source) on my 2009 iMac and then saving the files to a shared folder which I then transfer into Lightroom 4 in OSX. I use it to scan 95% b&w as that is what I shoot, then the occasional roll for a friend. If you know how to work the file you can easily get a nice quality image. Lowering the contrast while scanning helps a lot I've found. Everything on my site's blog is trix scanned with the pakon. I would like to get either a nikon or plustek scanner to use for higher res individual scans, but for web use (most of where my images end up) and proofing the speed and quality is hard to beat.

http://www.taoconnell.com/blog
Looking in my iPhone those images look great!
Which summicron version are you using?

Old 08-13-2014   #139
camerawrecker
BennyStevens

Hi all,

Impressed by the glowing comments on the Pakon F135+ film scanner and looking for a way to have fast access to digital images from my b/w rolls, I decided to order a scanner from AAA Imaging.
My Minolta Dimage IV does a good scanning job, but the process is very slow and the post treatment in PSE doesn't encourage much film shooting.
The Pakon arrived two days ago and since then I have been trying to scan some images, without succes.
I reinstalled the Pakon software three times and that finally seems to work now : the scanner starts grabbing the film and moves it forward. However, just when the front of the film strip comes peeping at the other side of the scanner, the unit stops advancing and I get an 'Error 1003' pop-up on the screen. I already tried blowing some compressed air in the film entry slot and I tried with a 4-frame color film as well as an uncut roll of Agfa APX100 b/w film : same issue.

I have a Medion PC with i7 processor and Win8, but I installed VMware Player with WinXP professional SP3.
Did anyone else here encounter the same issue and what do I need to do next please? Thanks a lot in advance! I would really like to get this thing working...

Best regards,
Benny

Old 08-13-2014   #140
Balto

Quote:
Looking in my iPhone those images look great!
Which summicron version are you using?
Thank you, it's an ASPH. The pakon has become a huge invaluable part of my shooting, the speed and ease of use gets me grabbing my film M far more then my M9 most days which I love. It's not the highest quality scanner in the world there is no doubt about that, but for the price I think anyone who shoots 35mm and has even thought about processing them self should invest in one (and then a jobo processor, they go hand in hand )

Old 08-13-2014   #141
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerawrecker View Post
Hi all,

Impressed by the glowing comments on the Pakon F135+ film scanner and looking for a way to have fast access to digital images from my b/w rolls, I decided to order a scanner from AAA Imaging.
My Minolta Dimage IV does a good scanning job, but the process is very slow and the post treatment in PSE doesn't encourage much film shooting.
The Pakon arrived two days ago and since then I have been trying to scan some images, without succes.
I reinstalled the Pakon software three times and that finally seems to work now : the scanner starts grabbing the film and moves it forward. However, just when the front of the film strip comes peeping at the other side of the scanner, the unit stops advancing and I get an 'Error 1003' pop-up on the screen. I already tried blowing some compressed air in the film entry slot and I tried with a 4-frame color film as well as an uncut roll of Agfa APX100 b/w film : same issue.

I have a Medion PC with i7 processor and Win8, but I installed VMware Player with WinXP professional SP3.
Did anyone else here encounter the same issue and what do I need to do next please? Thanks a lot in advance! I would really like to get this thing working...

Best regards,
Benny
Another member had started a thread about some issues. AAA had him return the machine and they sent him another which was working great.
That thread is one reason I'm in the water now. It's nice having at least that 90day warranty to start with!

Old 08-13-2014   #142
f16sunshine

Quote:
Thank you, it's an ASPH. The pakon has become a huge invaluable part of my shooting, the speed and ease of use gets me grabbing my film M far more then my M9 most days which I love. It's not the highest quality scanner in the world there is no doubt about that, but for the price I think anyone who shoots 35mm and has even thought about processing them self should invest in one (and then a jobo processor, they go hand in hand )
Cool!
I've been feeling the same with my M gear lately. Tons of frozen film to shoot through before I allow myself a Digital M so... Pakon it is

Cheers!

Old 08-13-2014   #143
froyd

What's the footprint of the Pakon? How much working space does it need? Just checking if I have space to put one next to my printer.

Old 08-13-2014   #144
Balto

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
What's the footprint of the Pakon? How much working space does it need? Just checking if I have space to put one next to my printer.
like 15" long by 10" wide roughly

Old 08-14-2014   #145
froyd

Quote:
like 15" long by 10" wide roughly
Thanks!

And does it need much more room beyond that to operate it (e.g. 12" empty space to the sides to feed film)?

Old 08-14-2014   #146
taemo

there's USB port on the back and plug to the AC Adapter, you don't need to worry about the sides as you feed the scanner from the front and usually will curl the film with its container.

here's a youtube video of the Pakon scanner in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llthINnRSYA

also, regarding the candid bride shot that I shared yesterday, as suspected the flash was too hot for the situation, the V600 scan was no where usable as the Pakon scanner, highlights was pretty much gone.

Old 08-14-2014   #147
GarageBoy

How does it handle new Portra?

Old 08-14-2014   #148
Balto

From what I've seen it does alright with them, I haven't heard any complaining and the samples I've seen look fine to me. It does the consumer films from kodak and fuji well, loves ektar, mine doesnt seem to do 400h well but I will run a calibration next time I have that film to scan.

Old 08-31-2014   #149
Charles S

Pakon Scan of a 20 year old Kodak Gold negative

Old 09-01-2014   #150
Byteside

Nice scan Charles S.!

Does someone also know more about software updates or hacks to support 126 film? I'm not sure the Pakon is even physically capable of scanning 126, but I got so many old 126 film I want to scan.

I haven't heard something from this yet: https://twitter.com/kodakCB/status/496321153401896961

Old 09-01-2014   #151
Charles S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byteside View Post
Nice scan Charles S.!

Does someone also know more about software updates or hacks to support 126 film? I'm not sure the Pakon is even physically capable of scanning 126, but I got so many old 126 film I want to scan.

I haven't heard something from this yet: https://twitter.com/kodakCB/status/496321153401896961
Thanks,
Just made a print of the same image on A4 (roughly 8"x11") and it looks great. Bigger won't work I would think.

No idea about 126 hacks.

Old 09-01-2014   #152
David_Manning

I'm wondering what the secret sauce is, to be able to scan rolls or 4-frame cut negatives that are true b&w?

My Pakon scans color and chromogenic with codes on the edge of the strip, but chokes on Tri-X. Is there a menu setting I'm missing?

Old 09-01-2014   #153
kennylovrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Manning View Post
I'm wondering what the secret sauce is, to be able to scan rolls or 4-frame cut negatives that are true b&w? My Pakon scans color and chromogenic with codes on the edge of the strip, but chokes on Tri-X. Is there a menu setting I'm missing?
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I read b&w requires software 3.2 - do you have that? Like I said, I have no actual experience yet, but worth mentioning anyway I guess.

Old 09-01-2014   #154
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I have a Windows XP laptop however I'd much rather use my new F135+ scanner with my desktop computer.
Can the Pakon software work properly in Windows 7 Professional XP mode?

Chris

Old 09-02-2014   #155
bence8810

Hello there,

I am about to jump on the wagon and purchase the scanner, but wanted to run one thing by you guys to see what you thought.

I live in Japan and there are quite a few easy and cheap film scanners on the shelves of these large camera stores like Yodobashi and Bic Camera.

See this for an example:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/f...item/10003009/

My Japanese is only average and that's only spoken too which limits my research abilities in Japanese. When I search for these in English, there's very limited information, when I ask my wife to translate, she'll end the sentence with "Are you telling me you need yet one new gadget?"

These are cheap, 100USD and I wouldn't even have to pay for shipping.
The obvious worry is that it would underperform which I'd hate. I have a V750 which scans perfect if I don't mind the time it takes but to be honest I do! I need a faster solution like you guys do!

The pakon has a smaller resolution than a pro scanner but having just reviewed the JPEG's I produce once I finish editing my TIFFs coming from the Epson, I do use the same exact resolution, ex: 3000x2000 or in the neighborhood.

So my question is the following. What can these cheap scanners do? Will they perform some joke-like scan jobs with "enhanced" colors etc?

I only need it for BnW and I need decent scans. Again, I don't mind going for the Pakon but it's $250USD plus $80 shipping here in Japan. The Pakon is over 10 years old so I wonder if that technology could now be available in these smaller packages on the cheap, or these are two entirely different products?

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited by bence8810 : 09-02-2014 at 17:57. Reason: Typo

Old 09-02-2014   #156
Charles S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
I have a Windows XP laptop however I'd much rather use my new F135+ scanner with my desktop computer. Can the Pakon software work properly in Windows 7 Professional XP mode? Chris
There is a FB group that has multiple threads on this topic and the members are quite helpful troubleshooting

Old 09-05-2014   #157
f16sunshine

FYI to all...The price at AAA went up $50.

Old 09-05-2014   #158
bence8810

What a shame, I was ready to press the Buy it Now button a few days ago but then decided to ask a few questions and now its $50 more expensive. I'll still buy it I guess since it's a great little machine from what I can see and I guess the price increase indicates that stock is running low...

Ben

Old 09-09-2014   #159
bence8810

Guys, I am ordering the Pakon scanner tomorrow but was just wondering how much you paid for "international" shipping? I seem to recall from this thread someone saying $40USD to Holland.

I am in Japan and on their Ebay site the shipping comes out to $74USD and on the aaaimaging site it is $83USD. Dropped them an email about the same but wanted to ask you guys how much you ended up forking out for the shipping?

Right now with the $300 pricetag and the 75 shipping, it isn't that cheap anymore. I got my V750 for $370 brand new in Japan.

Thanks,
Ben

Old 09-09-2014   #160
edge100
-

A few users on the Pakon FB group have figured out how to scan slide film with it, without all of the horrible posterization and loss of shadow detail that those us who had tried to scan slides with the F135+ had seen previously.

I'm still testing the protocol, but it looks very promising.