Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > back alley's In The Bag

back alley's In The Bag Joe's quest for the ultimate Camera Bag! So many bags .. so little time ...

domke, canvas vs. ballistic…what's the difference?
Old 06-28-2014   #1
back alley
IMAGES

domke, canvas vs. ballistic…what's the difference?

the ballistic versions...none available locally for me to check out…from what i can tell from the net, the ballistic bags still have canvas in them - on the rear panel.

anyone here have experience with the ballistic version of a domke bag? what can you tell me about them in use compared to the regular canvas or the ruggedware versions?

Old 06-28-2014   #2
benji77
@R.F.F

I have the J3 in Ballistic, and F2 in canvas.
The ballistic is lighter, softer and at the joints, do not appear as rugged as the canvas.

I have had 2 copies of the J3, and each was different. The first copy had much thicker ballistic and weighed heavier.

All in all, I still prefer the strength of the canvas.

Old 06-28-2014   #3
kymar

I've had a ballistic J-1 bag which i've used every day for about 8 years. It carries 2 slrs with lenses, extra lens, flash, and spare batteries. All up weighs about 10kgs. I'm pretty sure it'll last me at least another 8 years and i treat it pretty rough.

Old 06-29-2014   #4
papasnap

I have the 803 in canvas and ballistic versions - they both do a fine job but I much prefer the look and feel of the canvas, the ballistic version looks/feels more like a laptop bag

Old 06-29-2014   #5
rolfe

The ballistic is some sort of synthetic, either nylon or nylon-like. It is lighter and more water resistant. The canvas is softer and gets better as it ages, as it sort of forms to your body.

Old 06-30-2014   #6
Ben Z

I have both materials in F3x, J803 and F5XB styles. The ballistic ones have a smooth nylon panel on the part that goes against your clothing. They are lighter in weight, less prone to abrasion, and more water resistant. Functionally I much prefer the ballistic ones. The canvas ones have that nostalgic thing going, but that's not particularly high up on my priorities for a camera bag.