Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Russian Rangefinders ???
Old 06-27-2014   #1
Ned
Ned

Russian Rangefinders ???

Any thoughts on Fed or Zorki Cameras, ie: Leica copies - I have four, a couple of Fed's, a Fed 2 & 3 + a couple of Zorki's, a Zorki 3 Olympic version & a Zorki 4. All are in full working order and used with a Weston Light Meter & Tmax 400 B&W film

Anybody else got one or any other Russian Camera?

Old 06-27-2014   #2
TXForester

Fed, Zorki 4k, Zorki 6. The Fed has a light leak and the Zorkis work fine.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage.” ― H.L. Mencken

Old 06-27-2014   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'm sure many here have Russian RFs ... in fact the chat about them was constant when I first joined RFF.

Sadly those days seem to be over.

Old 06-27-2014   #4
farlymac
PF McFarland

I think they've been moving on from the FSU stuff, Keith. Seems a lot of folks got one to see if they liked using a rangefinder, then went upscale from there.

Right now, Ned, I've got a Zorki 1D that has been retired (it's worn out), and three FED 2's that need work. The Zarya works now, but needs light seals somewhere.

What I like about the FED 2 is the wide rangefinder base combined with the viewfinder, and the built-in diopter adjustment on the viewfinder so I can use it without my glasses on. It looks much better than the original Leica copy, and if I ever get one of the three to work right, could be my everyday user. I really like the results from the lenses I have for it, and plan on getting more to fill out the kit.

PF

Old 06-27-2014   #5
AndersG

I have a FED 2 loaded with TriX, a FED 3 (out of adjustment), a Zorki 1 (works well), a Zorki 4 (out of adjustment) and a Zorki 6 (light leaks). I usually use my Canon 7 due to its much better finder.

Old 06-27-2014   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Where are still talks about them. Mostly how to fix them, because most of them never seen CLA

Family FED-2, using it regularly. Zorki-6 which I CLA_ed few days ago.
Working Z-4, which I received as J-3 rear cap, it is missing film spool, need to get one.

Restored two Z-1 with dead curtains in the past and owned/used Moskva-2 and 5 6x9 RFs.

My 50mm RF most used primes are I-22 and J-3. I-26M on FED-2 is very nice lens as well.
I'm re-shimming J-3 to make it only one 50mm lens for my M4-2.

Old 06-27-2014   #7
KnipsOmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Zorki 3 Olympic version
Zorki 3 Olympic? Hardly. The Zorki-3 were produced from 1951-1956. The Olympics were in 1980...

There's a couple of FED Olympic versions around, one of which is a FED-3 late style.

But no Zorki-3. In fact, no Olympic Zorki at all, as the only one being built long enough for this would be the Zorki-4K, but I'm not aware of any Olympic version of that camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Anybody else got one or any other Russian Camera?
Yep. Just short of 100. From a 1937 Trudkommuna FED to a 1990 FED-5V. At least one of each major FED or Zorki model. Some of which are being used regularly.

Is that a Honda VFR 750 on your avatar?

Old 06-27-2014   #8
batterytypehah!
Lord of the Dings

Sure, we're still around! See my signature.

I never warmed to my Zorki-4 (a very tired sample, to be fair) and gave it away, but the FED-2 is working so well it's boring

Plus a Zorki-1 in pieces, waiting for new curtains when I finally work up the nerve to tackle that job.

I would much rather keep a couple of FSU cameras than work around the compatible-but-not-quite issues with FSU lenses on Leicas. And you gotta use FSU lenses!

“Hair-splitting, of course. But hey, it's a LEICA. Probably there are those who get excited about the colour of the hairs you split.” – Roger Hicks

Contax IIa + Leica IIIf + M3 (project) + Zorki-1 (project) + Fuji GS645 + FED-2 + Vitomatic II + Revue 400SE + Olympus XA + more + still more

Old 06-27-2014   #9
goamules

I have a couple of pre-war Fed 1s, that I keep for collector purposes. I've shot them, but don't any more. I do use a lot of Soviet lenses still.

Old 06-27-2014   #10
ray*j*gun

I have 2 Zorki's a I and a 4 that were both professionally refurbished and I love using them plus they are a real conversation starter. I confess I dont use them if the shoot is critical but thats only because of some bad experiences with other somewhat abused Fed's

Old 06-27-2014   #11
Fotohuis

Zorki-4K, Zorki-6, FED-3, FED-5b.
Lenses: J-8, J-12, I-61 Zebra, I-61 L/D.

I prefer the FED-3, a 50 years October Revolution model and the Zorki-6. In lenses I think the best 50mm is the Jupiter-8.

I am also working with a Leica M7 and some (4) Leica glass, so I can say the price quality for these Ukraine and Russian cameras are extremely good.

Greetz,

Robert

Old 06-27-2014   #12
02Pilot
Malcontent

I still use my FED-2 every now and again, especially in winter, since with the collapsible FED 50 it fits easily in a coat pocket. It's a handy street photography camera.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 06-27-2014   #13
btgc

Not exactly russian, though, as they were copied, developed and manufactured by Soviet people and that included russians, ukrainians, belorussians and many more.

I have poor FED, 5 that is, and while it doesn't have long RF base nor it is made from German made parts, mine works OK. Cleaned and relubed Industar-61 L/D. Not the thing I'd like to have as only rangefinder but it works and gives feeling of late Soviet era photographic gear.

Old 06-27-2014   #14
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I've got a Fed 3 and Zorki 4, plus two malfunctioning Kievs I need to get rid of. Previously had a Fed 4 and a Fed 5, but prefer the earlier model 3 greatly.

The Zorki 4 has a great VF, whereas the Fed 3 has a good smooth feel in use. I don't use RFs much these days, but I use the Zorki occasionally.

Old 06-27-2014   #15
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I been using my Zorki 4k with a J-3 lens for a few weeks now.

I do enjoy using this set-up.

Old 06-27-2014   #16
lukitas
second hand noob

a fed, a fed 2, a fed 3, a zorki and a zorki 6.
the fed 3 is a dud, the fed has a gummy lens, and the zorki 6 is a maniac exhibitionist whose back has fallen open on two out of three films I put through it.

The fed 2 is lovely, accurate rangefinder, diopter adjustment, reasonable viewfinder.

But the russians made me realise that an old leica isn't all that expensive : about the price of a mid-range tourist grade DSLR. And I fell in love with the viewfinder of an M2, an event that forced me into a bigamous relationship with an M3, and I feel my fed 2 must feel extremely jealous. I don't dare approach it for fear of a tizzy fit.

In the mean time, I'm having a quite amazing triangular relationship with my two M's, a summitar and an ultron 28.

Gallery

photos by lukitas

Old 06-28-2014   #17
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

They are all nice (especially the FED 2) but like all old cameras etc just need a bit of TLC in their old age. F'instance, I've a Leica (from the period before they had model numbers) with a stiff or gummy lens that makes it very slow to focus but it's nearly 90 years old and so to be expected.

Regards, David

Old 06-28-2014   #18
Kekoekoo

I did as farlymac said. Bough a zorki 4, then a fed 2 (wich I'm totally in love with) loved the rangefinder experience but...I wear glasses and i don't like too much to pull the shutter dial each time to change shutter speed so I changed to a canon 7.
I used to have film loaded in the canon 7 and the fed 2 but the shutter died on fed and on zorki...Hope to replace the fed (or maybe try to fix it...) someday.
Anyway I'm still enjoying the jupiter 8 and an industar 61 almost everyday!

Old 06-28-2014   #19
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Welcome aboard, Ned!
Hmmm, I currently have FED 3, 4, 5 and Zorki 1--the Zorki Zorki one (maybe a 1d, not quite sure). And a Zorki 4. And an Agat 18k. And a Kiev 4--that one was repainted black and marked "Contax" at some point. And a few lenses; J-8, J-11, Industar 50 rigid, I-22 collapsible, I-26, I-61 L/D. And a turret finder.
Previously owned and used (and liked) a couple of Zorki 3m cameras. Had a Kiev 60 for a while. That one I bought from Arax and liked it pretty well also.
I am idly looking to get another Zorki 3m and another J-12 lens. And thinking about an Arax Kiev 88.

The main 50mm lens I use on my primary camera--a Bessa R--is the 1955 Jupiter-8. I like my results with that lens quite a lot. If the J-12 I had would have fit my Bessa, I wouldn't have sold it. And, the J-9 I owned was, fortunately, well sorted for use on western LTM cameras but I wanted a CV 75mm and so I sold a few things.
There are more than a few of us FSU gear folks around, I think.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 06-28-2014   #20
pete hogan

My routine camera is a Zorki 1c with an Industar-22 or Jupiter-8, and occasionally a Jupiter-11. Tri-X, though they do fine with Fuji Superia color too.

Zorki 1d Ektar

Old 06-30-2014   #21
Elmar Lang

I use a Kiev-4A since 1975 and I'm still happy with it and its lenses.

In the past, I've been a collector of former-Soviet cameras, also using those that intrigued me more.

Now, my collection is (mostly) gone, but I think that these cameras, treated with the care necessary with mechanisms that usually are 30/60 years old, can give fine results.

E.L.

Old 06-30-2014   #22
maddoc
... likes film.

Kiev 4A (does not really work ...), Fed3b, Zorki6, Moskva-5. Lenses, J12 (Kiev and LTM mount), Industar-50 (black and chrom), J-8, Helios-103 (?) in Kiev mount. The J-12 are really good and so are the Industar-50, the J-8 I am not convinced if it focuses OK.

flickr
pBase

Old 07-01-2014   #23
newspaperguy

A Kiev II and Zorki 1d that still get regular use, more than the Canons or Bessas,
plus an early Kiev 4 and Zorki 1e that both work well, but are sorta step-children .

Also a couple of Kiev 4's in pieces. (Not everything always works. )

My five -star rated children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

is now available for Kindle and other readers.

This semi-animated version of the hardbound edition
may be just perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old,

Available from Amazon.com, of course.

Old 07-06-2014   #24
newspaperguy

I posted this pix in the Leica ltm section in response to a inquirey about CV veiwfinders, but I thought it might be worth a repeat (retweet?)

Some things just don't work well together:

Like an old-style CV finder on a Leica II-type body.*

Ok, I guess, if you don't want to change shutter speeds.

*That's my "old, been everywhere, still works great" Zorki 1d shown with a CV25/4 lens & finder.

(Oleg's CLAs really endure. I got this from him with the usually in-place J-12 back in the early 80's.

It looked a lot better before it spent 20 years on the floors of my various trucks...

even survived a wreck - which that particular truck didn't!)

My five -star rated children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

is now available for Kindle and other readers.

This semi-animated version of the hardbound edition
may be just perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old,

Available from Amazon.com, of course.