Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Late to the party
Old 04-15-2014   #1
anjoca76

Late to the party

Last year I picked up a Rolleicord V. I've been shooting mostly b&w with it, as I can develop it myself, and have shot a decent amount of Portra too. I love the results--and it's fun. Having been primarily a 35mm shooter, I am still surprised every time I see those 6X6 negs.

But yesterday I received in the mail the slides and scans of 3 rolls of Provia 400X I shot last fall. I meant to get them processed and scanned sooner, but for various reasons it took me until now. All I can say is WOW! I placed them on a light table and I was truly stunned by how amazing they looked! I often shoot 35mm E6, so seeing a positive slide was nothing new, but the jump from 35mm to 120 is huge. I've been hearing about this for years, but I guess I needed to experience it myself.

Sadly, I waited too long to stock up on Provia 400X in 120. Now it's gone, and what's left is expensive. I still have a stash of 50 and 100 slide film left in 120, which I'm happy about, but the faster film would have been nice. Oh well. Live and learn. And better late than never.

I was debating if I wanted to take my Rollei with me to Italy this summer. Now it's a no-brainer.

Flickr

Old 04-15-2014   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Take it for sure. As you've confirmed for yourself a Rollei and transparency film can make for sublime results. I've been repairing two Rolleicord Vs this week for their owners to use. They're one of my favourite Rollei models and still great value for money.
Cheers
Brett

Old 04-15-2014   #3
anjoca76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Take it for sure. As you've confirmed for yourself a Rollei and transparency film can make for sublime results. I've been repairing two Rolleicord Vs this week for their owners to use. They're one of my favourite Rollei models and still great value for money.
Cheers
Brett
Agreed, Brett. Someday I hope to pick up a "real" Rolleiflex, but I wanted to get my feet wet first and see if I like it enough to spend more. Turns out the V is a terrific camera in its own right. I'm having a blast.

There is a guy in the next town over who loves TLRs and though not a top technician/repairman, he knows enough to do basic fixes and CLAs and does it purely because he wants to keep these great cameras in working order for new shooters (like me) to discover and use. That's where I got my V. Got a great deal on it.

I am definitely bringing it along with me.

Flickr

Old 04-15-2014   #4
jpa66
Jan as in "Jan and Dean"

I hear ya'! My Rollieflex always comes with me on holiday. I'll be lugging it around Italy as well, only in May! And the only color film I'll have are slides. Unfortunately, I've only 100 ASA stuff left ( but at least I have some rolls of Ektachrome and Astia!).

Nothing like the look of a 6X6 chrome!

Old 04-15-2014   #5
anjoca76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa66 View Post
I hear ya'! My Rollieflex always comes with me on holiday. I'll be lugging it around Italy as well, only in May! And the only color film I'll have are slides. Unfortunately, I've only 100 ASA stuff left ( but at least I have some rolls of Ektachrome and Astia!).

Nothing like the look of a 6X6 chrome!
I can't wait to see some samples when you return!

Flickr

Old 04-15-2014   #6
Takkun
Ian M.

I'm not a TLR shooter anymore, but I also just processed some 6x6 Velvia. There's always a rush opening them, and, in my case, putting them up against the front window.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog