Plus-X
Old 04-11-2014   #1
clcolucci58

Plus-X

I bought three rolls of Kodak Plus-X 35mm from Amazon, should get it in a day or two. Now I would think it is expired as this film in not made any more. Massive Dev Chart has D-76 1:1 for 7:00 min. and Rodinal 1:50 at 13:00 min. Do I need to increase or decrease the time since the film is expired? Temp will be at 68 degrees of course. Used this film all the time back in the early 80's when I first got into photography, loved this film, thirty years or so late I get back into film photography (no digital for me) and one of my favorite films (and the company??) are gone. As always thanks for the feedback and insight.

Regards,
CLC
P.S. forgot how much I enjoyed shooting film and creating my own photographs.

Old 04-11-2014   #2
Chris Bail
Regular Guy

How expired is it?

My Flickr

Old 04-11-2014   #3
Jan Pedersen

Shoot it and develop it as you used to do unless it is 15+ years expired.
Plus-X is one film that I have found to mature incredible well. I had a chance to test some that had been stored in a garage in San Diego. Exp. date was 1999
It behaved just like fresh film with no speed loss or fog to speak of.
I bought a few bricks when it was discontinued and I think they will be fine in my freezer for a couple of decades.

Old 04-11-2014   #4
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
Plus-X is one film that I have found to mature incredible well. I had a chance to test some that had been stored in a garage in San Diego. Exp. date was 1999
I bought a few bricks when it was discontinued and I think they will be fine in my freezer for a couple of decades.
I like to hear that. I find that one stop more exposure for every 5-8 years for C-41 (which I send out) is about right. But I'm like above; the expired Kodak B&W is much more forgiving.

This is (I think Verichrome Pan) from around 1962 that was exposed and I develop with 10% more in HC-110. Most of the problems with this roll was being in the camera (light leaks) all those years:

Old 04-11-2014   #5
clcolucci58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bail View Post
How expired is it?
I would guess 4-5 Kodak stop making this film about five years ago I believe but I may be mistaken
clc

Old 04-11-2014   #6
Mike is hungry

I have been using some rolls of Plus X which expired in 1965 for a little while now:

Untitled by Mike is always hungry, on Flickr

That's stand developed in Xtol at a dilution of 1:4. No agitation. Shot in a Olympus Stylus at 100ISO.

Old 04-11-2014   #7
clcolucci58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
Thanks
clc

Old 04-11-2014   #8
Chris Bail
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcolucci58 View Post
I would guess 4-5 Kodak stop making this film about five years ago I believe but I may be mistaken
clc
What Jan said. I would shoot 5 year expired ISO 100 film at the rated speed and develop as normal.

My Flickr

Old 04-11-2014   #9
Steve M.

Mike, your truck has a relative over here in Florida. This is Tri-X in Acufine though.

If it were me, I'd sacrifice one roll to a test, and know what I'd get on the other rolls. The problem with expired film is not how long it's expired, it's how it's been stored. You just don't know about that one, and heat is an issue. So, I'd test it.

Old 04-12-2014   #10
anjoca76

I had 3 rolls left and shot 2 of them this week. They are in my tank, ready to be developed. They expired only a couple years ago, so I don't expect any noticeable degradation. I am, however, a little sad to know these are the last (for me, anyway) of what truly was a wonderful film.

Flickr