Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > back alley's In The Bag

back alley's In The Bag Joe's quest for the ultimate Camera Bag! So many bags .. so little time ...

Old 04-10-2014   #41
Highway 61
Revisited

Back in 1981 (yes : 33 years ago) my father bought me a leather photo bag as a birthday present. It was (at that time) a famous exact copy of the Domke F2 made of genuine leather and was made in southern France by an highly skilled craft man (now passed away).

I still have this bag and I'm still using it as my main photo bag when on travel.

For my daily use I have an old navy blue Domke F-803 which a friend gave to me some years ago. The latter is a bit smaller so it's more versatile. Still in pretty good shape although tattered quite a bit.

All in all, those two photo bags are my only ones.

And - no, I'm not living on Mars.

Old 04-10-2014   #42
f16sunshine

Can anyone who has the Shibata bag tell me if the Macbook Air 11" fits in the front pocket?

https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/produc...l#.U0blWl5NzjQ

Great looking bag. I wish they did not need to put that ugly label on the front but... a seam ripper should make quick work of removing it.

Thanks for the reply

Old 04-10-2014   #43
kuvvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoca76 View Post
I just saw the TT Retro 10. I think it may be my next bag purchase. Probably much too big for your purposes, but I like their Retro line overall. I have a 5, which I like, but it's too small for extended travel. The 10 isn't boxy like the 5 and 7.
I have a new TT Citywalker 10 which is for sale as it's too big for my tiny kit. The Citywalkers are much lighter than the Retros.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-10-2014   #44
Highway 61
Revisited

Is this a bags classifieds thread ?

Old 04-10-2014   #45
back alley
IMAGES

gonna slap paul's hands…

i just listed 2 like new bags in kijiji…a tamrac and a promaster…i prefer to sell bags locally, just easier & cheaper than shipping a bulky bag.

Old 04-10-2014   #46
back alley
IMAGES

that shibata bag is very attractive…i like that material, polyspun yarn…so soft!

Old 04-10-2014   #47
anjoca76

I've accidentally dropped my bag enough to know I need the extra padding/protection!

Flickr

Old 04-10-2014   #48
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoca76 View Post
I've accidentally dropped my bag enough to know I need the extra padding/protection!
perhaps less coffee is called for?

Old 04-10-2014   #49
kuvvy

My bags don't get roughed up. My toughest is the Hadley which I've had over twenty years but gets used mainly when the weather is really bad or as a carry on bag.
My others are all lightweight with minimal padding.

You're right Joe about the Shibata material being soft. It's has a nice feel and comfy too. Took it today for its first real outing. Reckon it would fit your gear. I handled one at a photo show then found it cheaper from another dealer.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-10-2014   #50
back alley
IMAGES

i may try one in the future...

Old 04-10-2014   #51
kuvvy

You're right Joe the Shibata is soft. Took it out today for its first real outing. Fits my Xpro, 35, 18, cv15 and Samyang 8mm.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-10-2014   #52
back alley
IMAGES

i want to fit 2 xe1 bodies, back to back, with lenses/shades attached and one more lens alone.

Old 04-10-2014   #53
kuvvy

Might well do that Joe. I'll have dig out the specs of your gear and measure it up.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-10-2014   #54
back alley
IMAGES

don't bother paul…it should fit.
i think the shibata is 12 or so inches wide…the bowery/bbb-e are both 10 and the cameras/lenses fit…so i would need another 2 or 3 inches...

Old 04-10-2014   #55
kuvvy

It is quite roomy. Not as slim as the BBB bags though but I don't think many are.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-12-2014   #56
back alley
IMAGES

just read this elsewhere…all millar bags are on sale for half price…use the code 'millar50'...

Old 04-12-2014   #57
rybolt

I've been looking for a bag to carry 2 Xpro 1 cameras and 3-4 lens plus a few batteries. I have a wing of my house devoted to bags and down in the lower reaches I found the perfect bag:

A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 04-12-2014   #58
back alley
IMAGES

..I have a wing of my house devoted to bags…

omg!

Old 04-12-2014   #59
rybolt

It's actually a closet in the camera room but it's pretty full. here are a few of the Billinghams. These are from the mid 80's when they were experimenting with ballistic nylon bags. A buddy of mine was the rep. When they dropped the line I bought three bags ranging from huge to big for $50. I still use them.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 04-12-2014   #60
porktaco

http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/index.htm

i use the evans walker. its great. it's big enough to carry stuff and small enough to keep me from carrying backbreaking amounts of stuff. plus, it looks great.

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 04-12-2014   #61
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Spent this past afternoon shooting my buddy's son's wedding party using the Tenba Mini Messenger to carry the A7 plus three R lenses. I'd forgotten just how good a bag this was. :-)

I could easily fit three more R Lenses.

G

Old 04-17-2014   #62
Archiver

Sometimes I think GAS should be re-defined as General Acquisition Syndrome. We all have it in one form or another. If I tell myself I'm not buying another body, I start looking at lenses. If I swear off lenses and bodies, I'm looking at bags. If none of those are on the cards, I think about new walking shoes for extended photo trips. Or jackets that hold lots of gear!

As for a new bag: I've been eyeing the Incase Sling Packs and DSLR Backpacks, too. The Ari Marcopolous bag looks pretty snazzy, although perhaps too large for everyday wear. The thought of being able to carry my gear on my bag and not have to take it off to access gear is enticing, though.

Old 04-17-2014   #63
alan davus

I'm a sucker for a new bag (like everyone else here it seems) and have quite a collection. Trouble is along the way I've acquired a couple of Billinghams and a couple of Foggs and they don't come much better than these. Where do I go from here??

Old 04-18-2014   #64
Marc G.
film loving student

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan davus View Post
I'm a sucker for a new bag (like everyone else here it seems) and have quite a collection. Trouble is along the way I've acquired a couple of Billinghams and a couple of Foggs and they don't come much better than these. Where do I go from here??
It seems I've gone down the same road like you did. 1 Fogg and 2 Billinghams currently. But I'm happy. It does definitely not get better than these. I also found out that other bag manufacturer's bags do not have the same level of weather resistancy. I feel my gear is save when I'm out with one of these bags.

From time to time I ordered another bag but sent it back after inspecting it for 2-3 minutes. The mistakes in the design become very obvious once you know what you're used to.

Old 04-18-2014   #65
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Just back from travel, and through night's rest. :-)

I've spent a week on the road using the Tenba Mini Messenger to carry the Sony A7 + 24/50/90 mm Leica R lens kit, plus three batteries, plus a handful of 16 and 32 G memory cards, plus hoods, plus Sirui T-024X tripod, plus iPad mini and charger/cable, and on the way over had a Mac Book Pro 13" and charger stuffed in too.

I'd forgotten just how excellent this bag is. Everything works just right. it could handle two more lenses, take out the laptop/charger/etc and the weight is just fine. Everything is easy to get to and it's very protective. It's not small, but it's not overly large either. It's light, the pockets and organizing bits are all in the right places, and the top zip makes it easy to get in and out of without a hitch. It's neither too deep nor too shallow. It hangs well on the shoulder, the strap is very comfortable.

I normally want a more compact bag as I normally carry a lot less gear... But if I need the space, this bag is reasonably priced, versatile, a good fit for a wide variety of gear, very nice to work out of, etc.

G