Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Bruce Gilden on Swedish TV
Old 04-03-2014   #1
chambrenoire

Bruce Gilden on Swedish TV

There's a arts & culture program here in Sweden called Kobra that aired an interview with Bruce Gilden yesterday. Found the clip on YT and thought I'd share it with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdbh7BimRz8

He's quite the character!

Old 04-03-2014   #2
NY_Dan

This video really shows BG's unsavory side.

Old 04-03-2014   #3
Rodchenko
Olympian

He doesn't see it, evidently.

Old 04-03-2014   #4
Vics

Excellent! Thanks for posting this.

My Flickr

Old 04-03-2014   #5
superultramega

Let's go easy on Bruce. I like that he's out there doing his thing and that he's doing it his way.

Old 04-03-2014   #6
hepcat
Former PH, USN

I wonder how many times he's been taken to the ground, hard? I'm afraid I'd do that to him out of reflex. Maybe New Yorkers put up with that, but I don't think that'd go over so well in places where people demand a larger personal space.

Find me on the web...

Old 04-03-2014   #7
zuiko85

Don't have much comment on his technique. To each his own. His gutter vocabulary however makes him appear to be of limited intelligence.

Old 04-04-2014   #8
chambrenoire

He's the way he is... Some really don't like his approach and style, some really like it. The result is very effective.

Old 04-04-2014   #9
kuvvy

Can't stand him and his attitude. Don't much care for his style either, but each to their own I suppose.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-04-2014   #10
whited3

I met him; he can be real nice guy. Pretty sure the BG videos portray a caricature of his actual mannerisms. That's just PR 101

And yeah, he has some pretty unsavory moments in that video

Old 04-04-2014   #11
finguanzo

Yeah, not as bad as in the videos... Have bumped into him a few times, pretty nice conversations.. Very forward, New Yorkish, but not as rude as his videos..

Old 04-04-2014   #12
aton

Thank you! Very good video!

Old 04-04-2014   #13
Hsg
who dares wins

Bruce Gildren is a douchebag, sorry, no other way to describe him. His an actor, a street performer, not a photographer.

Old 04-04-2014   #14
finguanzo

ok...........

Old 04-04-2014   #15
Michael Markey

Thanks for posting ... I`m pleased that I`m not the only one who forgets to change the aperture.

Old 04-04-2014   #16
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

He must get a kick out of making odd and weird people look even more bizarre than they really are and to preserve that aroma of grotesqueness for posterity.

No subtleness is involved in his technique, not even a Diane Arbus subtleness.

Old 04-04-2014   #17
kbg32
neo-romanticist

One has to admire his chutzpuh.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 04-04-2014   #18
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsg View Post
Bruce Gildren is a douchebag, sorry, no other way to describe him. His an actor, a street performer, not a photographer.
The topic of Bruce Gilden comes around every few months here. Like the general public, most of this group thinks only of him in terms of his street photography. Although that is only a small part of what he does, that appears to derive most of the attention.

See the other part of Bruce Gilden by reviewing his work in Haiti or foreclosures in Detroit, Fresno and Las Vegas. Quite a different persona.

Read credits carefully and you can find some of his editorial work. Really good work.

For a different perspective about Bruce Gilden, listen to him talk about and show his work in Haiti here.

Old 04-04-2014   #19
anjoca76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
The topic of Bruce Gilden comes around every few months here. Like the general public, most of this group thinks only of him in terms of his street photography. Although that is only a small part of what he does, that appears to derive most of the attention.

See the other part of Bruce Gilden by reviewing his work in Haiti or foreclosures in Detroit, Fresno and Las Vegas. Quite a different persona.

Read credits carefully and you can find some of his editorial work. Really good work.

For a different perspective about Bruce Gilden, listen to him talk about and show his work in Haiti here.
I agree. He can be a polarizing figure, for sure, but there is more to his work than the brusque in-your-face street photography he is most known for.

What I do admire about his in-your-face stuff is just that: he gets right in there and captures people in vulnerable moments. What really bugs me about a lot of "street" work is there tends to be no subject, just wide-angle shots of nothing in particular. When there is no obvious subject, I personally find it boring. Bruce's method might be the other extreme, but at least there is something to talk about.

Flickr

Old 04-04-2014   #20
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post

The man is full of contempt and anger towards the people on the streets. Why does a man of his age have to act like some hoodlum?

He looks like and acts like a cheap pawnshop owner but by some freak luck his a member with magnum, so he has to justify that membership by going out of his way to act like some temperamental artist. His not an artist, his work is not original, his tactics are not original, even his fake Brooklyn hood persona is not original.

His videos are a terrible publicity for street photographers. The man is an embarrassment.

Sorry, I know he has fans but that says more about our vulgar culture than Gilden's value as a photographer.

Old 04-04-2014   #21
anjoca76

Quote:
The man is full of contempt and anger towards the people on the streets. Why does a man of his age have to act like some hoodlum?

He looks like and acts like a cheap pawnshop owner but by some freak luck his a member with magnum, so he has to justify that membership by going out of his way to act like some temperamental artist. His not an artist, his work is not original, his tactics are not original, even his fake Brooklyn hood persona is not original.

His videos are a terrible publicity for street photographers. The man is an embarrassment.

Sorry, I know he has fans but that says more about our vulgar culture than Gilden's value as a photographer.
Just because it's, in your opinion, vulgar doesn't mean it's not art. Why is he not an artist? He creates art. You may not like his art, but that's neither here nor there.

Flickr

Old 04-04-2014   #22
Michael Markey

Quote:

For a more balanced assessment read again the post which you quoted.

Old 04-04-2014   #23
stompyq

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it. I see nothing wrong with his style or his behavior in the video. I'am not much of a fan of the actual photographs but can't understand why some people on this thread feel he's full of contempt and anger? Looks like perfectly normal to me. The dude has some serious guts to pull off what he does and he gets a huge amount of respect from me for successfully doing it.

Old 04-04-2014   #24
whited3

I think a world full of Bruce Gildens would get along just fine. Just because he throws out the majority of social formalities and speaks his mind doesn't mean he's angry, or a bad person. I find his persona really entertaining to be honest. I grew up in a small town, but have lived in NYC for almost 10 years. I can tell you, there is a time and a place to smile & say hi to strangers, and there is a time and a place to be a little Gilden-ish. Either end of the spectrum can cause social outrage.

Old 04-04-2014   #25
Colin Corneau
Colin Corneau

Oh god, here we go again...

Thank you to Bob Michaels for posting links to BG's other work. I'd never use his tactics, but Gilden is an originator not an imitator -- his work is his own.
His work got him a gig at Magnum and is in demand around the world...not too sure how many of us here can say the same thing. Nuff said.

"Viva Film Renaissance"

Old 04-04-2014   #26
finguanzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
Oh god, here we go again...

Thank you to Bob Michaels for posting links to BG's other work. I'd never use his tactics, but Gilden is an originator not an imitator -- his work is his own.
His work got him a gig at Magnum and is in demand around the world...not too sure how many of us here can say the same thing. Nuff said.
Yes.............

Old 04-04-2014   #27
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Whether you like Gilden's work or not, he speaks with more passion, energy, synergy of the street and his subjects then someone like Meyerowitz.

Keith’s Gallery

Old 04-04-2014   #28
kbg32
neo-romanticist

".....even his fake Brooklyn hood persona is not original." - Hsg

Bruce Gilden is a noted street photographer, known for his work in New York City. Wikipedia
Born: October 16, 1946 (age 67), Brooklyn, NY
Education: Pennsylvania State University
Books: Coney Island, 1969-1986
Awards: Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Arts, US & Canada

Once you're born in the hood, the hood never really leaves you, wherever that hood may be.

Keith’s Gallery

Old 04-05-2014   #29
xxloverxx
Shoot.

Love his style of shooting, as well as what and how he sees.

Old 04-05-2014   #30
RFluhver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Don't have much comment on his technique. To each his own. His gutter vocabulary however makes him appear to be of limited intelligence.
Watch a few of his vids, read up on him and see what I mean. He is a very intelligent and compassionate individual.

The man is absolutely original. That's arguably why they got him into Magnum.

What sours Bruce Gilden's "style" isn't Bruce Gilden or his mannerisms. It all those Bruce Gilden wannabes, whether they be accidental or intentional!

Old 04-06-2014   #31
Brian Atherton

A head's up:

Bruce Gilden is book signing in London Friday, 11 April:

http://www.thephotographersgallery.o...bruce-gilden-2

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 04-06-2014   #32
Rodchenko
Olympian

Someone should go up to him and set off a flash direct in his face. I wonder what the reaction would be.

Old 04-06-2014   #33
finguanzo

Its been done at least once. He laughed..

Old 04-06-2014   #34
zauhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambrenoire View Post
There's a arts & culture program here in Sweden called Kobra that aired an interview with Bruce Gilden yesterday. Found the clip on YT and thought I'd share it with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdbh7BimRz8

He's quite the character!
Never saw an interview with him - what a fabulous guy!

Thanks for posting that.

Interesting that he says he is not a confrontational person, but chooses to push himself. That is something for everyone on RFF to contemplate - the need to take an emotional risk.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 04-07-2014   #35
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
Whether you like Gilden's work or not, he speaks with more passion, energy, synergy of the street and his subjects then someone like Meyerowitz.
Meyerowitz is a genuinely nice guy.

Old 04-07-2014   #36
Hsg
who dares wins

I met Bruce Gilden in one of his lectures. He has a average height, small stature, and his clothing style does not match his face - he dresses 'younger'. He overdresses outside to look bigger.

I asked him, are you going to scare a few old ladies today, he looked at me and smiled.

Old 04-07-2014   #37
Peter Wijninga

Bruce Gilden's work is all about this question: "Do the ends justify the means?" I am not so sure myself.