"Problems with my new M2"
Old 03-28-2014   #1
Ambrosius

"Problems with my new M2"

Hi guys

Today I bought a Leica M2 that seems to be overhauled and black painted. It was so beautiful I couldn't resist. Everything seems perfect, restoration and painting is extremely well done. But I have two issues:

1. When I want to use my canon 50/1.8, the cheap adapter I got passes the 50mm frame lines and goes to 90mm... But not fully, just vanished. It was the cheapest adapter, is a bad adapter? Can be a problem in the body?

2. Infinity focus with my lenses seems a bit off at infinity (just horizontal). It's easy to do or I should ask a pro for adjust?

The second problem is small, but the first...

What do you think?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2014   #2
Scrambler

1) Get a better adapter - or just another cheap one. I've never had this with cheapies, but the more upmarket ones do fit better. I won't buy aluminium adapters though, only chromed brass.
2) It can be adjusted yourself - do a search on the forum for rangefinder adjustment.

Old 03-28-2014   #3
xia_ke

I had a case of problem 1 myself recently. I have a cheap adapter and on my M2 it would go kind of inbetween frameline settings where you would see a little bit of the 50 and the 90, but it had a hair bit of play so I could notch it back to fully 50mm framelines. It was never an issue for actual shooting. After reading many threads here, I was quick to blame the adapter and started shopping for an actual Leica copy. However, another issue arose with my M2 so I sent it back to the shop and received a replacement. The el-cheapo adapter works flawlessly on the "new" M2, so the mount on the other M2 must have been worn or something. Perhaps this is the issue you are having?

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
"...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
"The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Old 03-28-2014   #4
Ambrosius

Thanks

Maybe will go to the shop where I got both camera and adapter and ask another adapter for testing. I bad, I have 6 months warranty for my M2.

Old 03-28-2014   #5
anjoca76

It's almost certainly the adapter. I've had some cheap ones that work fine, others that don't. But the good--or at least better--ones always work.

Flickr

Old 03-28-2014   #6
Ambrosius

Thank you very much, Andy. Now I can sleep better... (21.55) in Tokyo, it was a big day for me because I could buy the camera if my dreams but the adapter problem made me sad

Old 03-28-2014   #7
Ambrosius

With my cv original 35mm adapter I have no issues, perfect. If the problem were in the body, maybe the cv adapter failed too?

Thank you very much for your kind answers

Old 03-28-2014   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

My $7 adapter was showing 90mm as well. I have to turn it little bit until I hear the click sound and 50mm frame lines come clear.

#2, kind of strange if it is off horizontally on infinity, but OK at close focus distance.
Usually it is off at all range and adjustable from the front of the camera.

Old 03-28-2014   #9
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

That's the problem with the non-Leica adapters, except one or two by Voitlaender etc. On the other hand, compare the prices of a Leica made one with the so-so ones on ebay etc and you'll see some advantages to getting one cheaply and trying it out and filing it back a bit. You can ruin a lot of them for the price of the genuine article.

Who would believe that I bought a set of three dirt cheap in plain brass and they all did what it said on the tin?

Regards, David

Old 03-28-2014   #10
outbr3akxal

Perhaps you can try to invest on the voightlander adapters?
Then you won't have to worry. ��

Old 03-28-2014   #11
Landshark

Easy things first. Try another adapter BEFORE you do anything to the camera
There's another thread here complaining about the same fault, it's a very common problem with the inexpensive adapters

Old 03-28-2014   #12
jammcat
Lick My Lens Cap

It's totally the adapter.
I have cheapie fotodiox adapters that need a bit of wiggling.
RF adjust is super easy, as well. It's a only a bitch after the M4s, where you need to remove the red dot and adjust the RF with a special tool.

Toronto-based documentary/music photographer.

http://lickmylenscap.com
https://www.instagram.com/lickmylenscap/
https://lickmylenscap.tumblr.com

Old 03-28-2014   #13
Vickko

You mean M4-P
M4 is easy, no red dot, no special too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammcat View Post
It's totally the adapter.
I have cheapie fotodiox adapters that need a bit of wiggling.
RF adjust is super easy, as well. It's a only a bitch after the M4s, where you need to remove the red dot and adjust the RF with a special tool.

35mm (film and digital)
Film only for 6x6cm, 6x9cm & 4x5in
BW darkroom to 4x5in

Old 03-28-2014   #14
jammcat
Lick My Lens Cap

-after- the M4. Should have been more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickko View Post
You mean M4-P
M4 is easy, no red dot, no special too

Toronto-based documentary/music photographer.

http://lickmylenscap.com
https://www.instagram.com/lickmylenscap/
https://lickmylenscap.tumblr.com

Old 03-28-2014   #15
thegman

Get a better adaptor, and personally, I would not touch the RF alignment, not until you've put on the new adaptor anyway. If the adaptor is too thick or too thin, RF alignment will be off too.

If you still have RF alignment issues, unless it's affecting focus, then I'd be inclined to leave it alone then too.

Old 03-28-2014   #16
peterm1

The frameline issue is definitely an adapter problem - the notch on the adapter that signals which frameline to bring up is wrongly cut. It could easily be that the adapter is the cause of the rangefinder infinity focus problem too. Odd things can happen as the tolerances required in a Leica M are very fine. I have even had problems once with a Leiz adapter which came with a camera / lens combo I purchased. It was a 50mm adapter and as it happens I had another original Leitz 50mm one to compare it with and could tell from the way the purchased adapter mounted on the camera it was not quite registering properly and was extremely hard to mount/dismount. As I say, it happens.

Old 03-28-2014   #17
Ambrosius

Thanks, You are the best people on internet and helped me a lot.

Today I will go to the shop and try an authentic leica o Zeiss m mount lens and look what happens. Will try another adapters too.

The infinity is off with an used Voigtlander adapter for 35mm too. In any case, I won't touch anything while the camera is on warranty. Also I'm planning to get a c-biogon 35/2.8 this year, after will decide.

Regards

Old 03-28-2014   #18
Ambrosius

I ended up returning both camera and adapter. No more Leicas for a long time, I got really tired.

Will continue using my old cheap but reliable canon 7, with better finder magnification and perfect focus with all lenses.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Regards

Old 03-28-2014   #19
Frontman

Sorry about the issues with your M2, the focus adjustment is not really an issue, all Leicas eventually require it, some more than others. It is a do-it-yourself job. The Lens adapters are generally no good unless they are Leica or CV parts. You can find either in Tokyo for a better price than elsewhere.

The Canon 7 is perfectly good, and the frame lines are better than on a Leica, but there is something in the Leica which the Canon cannot quite match.

Old 03-29-2014   #20
Ambrosius

Sure, you are right. But I really prefer not touch the screws by myself on a expensive leica. And get the camera serviced is an extra money I don't want to spend My canon 7 was 8000 yen, so I can do by myself and take risk. I can't afford m mount leica or Zeiss lenses, even a new cv 50/1.5... I didn't like the adapter system.

Maybe the leica is too good for me... Canon 7 is more modest and if something brokes I can buy another or just overhaul it.

Old 03-29-2014   #21
Richard G

The M5 vertical adjustment is also just as easy as the M3-M4. Leave the lens on, as the screw is actually very small and you wouldn't want to lose it in the camera. It is not really an adjustment you can muck up apart from burring that screw with an ill-fitting screwdriver. Or losing the screw altogether.

Old 03-29-2014   #22
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosius View Post
I ended up returning both camera and adapter. No more Leicas for a long time, I got really tired.

Will continue using my old cheap but reliable canon 7, with better finder magnification and perfect focus with all lenses.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Regards
Hi,

Just curiosity, did the shop let you try it with the correct adapter and, if so, what happened?

Regards, David

Last edited by David Hughes : 03-29-2014 at 06:14. Reason: Finger trouble...

Old 03-29-2014   #23
Ambrosius

They put a 50 summilux and worked like a charm. So you were right: the adapter was bad

Old 03-29-2014   #24
Scrambler

Buyers remorse, then?

Old 03-29-2014   #25
David Hughes
David Hughes

Those adapters are fairly simple things; the flange needs to be 1mm thick (give or take very little) but the notch in the tab is what affects the frames. Usually it just needs a file on it.

Regards, David

Old 03-29-2014   #26
Ambrosius

If the shops marks the body as AB+ and asks a lot of $, as in my case, I expect it to be perfect. I can tolerate the two or three small scratches but for me paying a lot of money for AB+ and have infinity out of focus is intolerable. Also if buying an adapter is a lottery as I see. I just don't want to touch any camera screw by myself, and I can't tolerate the fact I need to service the camera I just bought and spend more $$$.

Old 03-30-2014   #27
Richard G

An M2 is quite old. Second hand as you bought it with 6 months warranty: not bad. The adapter issue is well covered on the net. I bought a Leitz adapter, and would have been happy with Voigtlander. I did not consider any others. Buying non-new equipment is always taking some sort of risk. I have bought modern lenses from eBay: not a single blemish in the two I got. I have bought a more than 80 year old camera from the classifieds here. Satisfactory. I had to work on the rewind knob. So my Hexar AF from here had the shutter button issue: inevitable. I fixed that thanks to pictures posted here. The pleasure of using a 50 year old camera cannot come with all the assurances of a new Nikon.

Old 03-31-2014   #28
Ambrosius

Sure. Maybe Leica isnīt for me.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2014   #29
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosius View Post
If the shops marks the body as AB+ and asks a lot of $, as in my case, I expect it to be perfect. I can tolerate the two or three small scratches but for me paying a lot of money for AB+ and have infinity out of focus is intolerable. Also if buying an adapter is a lottery as I see. I just don't want to touch any camera screw by myself, and I can't tolerate the fact I need to service the camera I just bought and spend more $$$.
Buying ANYTHING is a lottery -- and the less you pay, the higher the chance you'll get less than the best. I have half a dozen real Leica adapters and they all work fine.

Cheers,

R.