Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Fujinon M42 lenses
Old 11-30-2013   #1
jarski

Fujinon M42 lenses

hi! what about Fujinon SLR-lenses for M42 screw mount? how they compare to Takumars of same vintage? what to look for and what to stay away? digital or film. TIA

Old 11-30-2013   #2
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Get the EBC lenses when you can, they have superior coating and as a result better contrast, creating an overall sharpen looking picture. However, they command a premium over the 'non-EBC' lenses due to that. But every once in a while you can get lucky and pick an EBC lens up for non-EBC cash!

3.5/28mm EBC expect to pay over EUR 75
1.9/35mm EBC expect to pay over EUR 200 (rare lens)
1.4/50mm EBC expect to pay over EUR 150
2.8/100mm EBC expect to pay over EUR 175 (rare lens)
3.5/135mm EBC expect to pay over EUR 75
4.5/200mm EBC expect to pay under EUR 50

In general, the non-EBC lenses are very good as well since they benefited from Fuji's experience on creating the EBC lenses.

Best camera's to shoot them on are the ST-801, ST-901 (hefty beast, beautiful to use) and the Chinon Memotron CE-II (the best camera for any 'auto' M42 lens in general)

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 11-30-2013   #3
jarski

thx Johan! looks like EBC version Fujinons are bit more expensive than same spec Takumars

Old 11-30-2013   #4
kyonthinh

Got an EBC 50 1.4 last year on apug for 10 bucks, a little soft wide open but nice color.
Well, for that price I can't complain...

Old 11-30-2013   #5
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

A few years ago my mom called me from a thrift store in Albuquerque, NM and asked if a Fujica ST 801 was a good camera. I said yes and she asked if I wanted it. Again, I said I'd like it and would pay her back.

She got a near mint ST 801 with a 28mm, 35mm, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm and a 135mm.

All for $20.

It was a fantastic system and I shot with it for maybe a year but sold it and put that money towards a Hexar RF. If you want a great SLR with great lenses at a very nice price though, the ST 801 is hard to beat.

Phil Forrest

Old 12-01-2013   #6
oftheherd

I have had and used a Fujica ST 901 since 1975. It came with a 50mm f/1.4. I soon added a 28mm f/3.5 and 135mm f/3.5, then a 50mm macro. All great lenses. I still use the Fuji 901 even though I have purchased two more as backups. But I haven't needed them and just exercise them once in a while. One of them came with the 43-75mm zoom. Nice lens, but not really my focal length. I once saw a person with the 75-150mm lens. Very compact and he said it produced great photos.

The lenses as far as I am concerned, take a back seat to nobody. Of course I say that not being an owner/user of Nikons, of Canons, and only a brief journey with a Minolta XG-1 because one became available. Still prefer my Fuji. I have also picked up a couple of Fujica ST 801 cameras. They are also great. I lent one to my daughter and she hasn't given it back yet. Nor do I want it. I am thrilled she likes it.

I have noted a lot of the older Fujica cameras on ebay. I have never used them, and don't think I would care to having used the 901 for so long. It is a bit heavy, but small. Just makes me think it is more robust. I really got it for two reasons; it uses all M42 lenses that I know of except for some of the Mamiya which can jam on the camera if you aren't careful of a tab on their lenses. I do have a contax 167mt with the Contax 50mm f/1.4 lens. It is really great as well, and I have never tested them against each other. Maybe afraid to?

I had also read a lot about the SBC exposure system. I love it! I used to really like available/low light photography. The 901 can't be beat. The SBC cells are more accurate in low light, and don't have the memory of other silicon cells. The 901 exposes automatically from EV -3 to EV 18. That is about 20 seconds to 1/1000. It sure worked well for me.

I also have a 35mm lens, but never use it. It came with something else. It just isn't a focal length that works for me. I like wider. I would love to have a 24mm and 19mm, but I have other lenses that are good enough, so I doubt I will ever spend the money for those lengths in a Fujinon SBC lens.

I would not get a Fujikor lens. You don't see them often anyway, and that seems to have been a lesser quality line, like Yashikor lenses. Useful if you get them cheap, but not in a class with the Fujinons.

I also have never been a fan of the later bayonet mount cameras and lenses. I don't think they had the quality of the earlier 801 or 901. YMMV.

Old 12-05-2013   #7
locheeboy
locheeboy

Ah'd support what oftheherd says 100%. Personally, ah believe Fujinon lenses are superior tae Taks. Still have my ST901, my most used camera, small with a good heft but still lighter (around 850g with a 50mm lens) than my A700+lens by about 200g.

Something ye'll havetae bear in mind is that Fujinon lenses have a small lug on the lens body; Fujica cameras have a ring round the lens mount which rotates against a light spring pressure. This, coupled with a small stud on the camera body, locks at a precise distance and sets the maximum aperture of the lens being installed. Once the lens installs the metering knows the max aperture, which enables the full aperture framing and focusing.

This small lug prevents Fujinon lenses fitting properly on SLRs/DSLRs as they do not fit flush thus preventing infinity focus - or worse. Ah've read that there are adapters available for digital but have been unsuccessful in finding them. The only alternative is tae butcher the lens by chopping off the lug. The lens will then work fully manually.

Me? Ah'd get a Fujica ST camera, 705 or above, avaoiding the bayonet mount versions. Ye may never go back tae digital or RF.

Old 12-05-2013   #8
darya151

Phil,
Great story! I never found anything like that in thrift stores in Taos!
Darya

Old 12-05-2013   #9
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by locheeboy View Post
Ah'd support what oftheherd says 100%. Personally, ah believe Fujinon lenses are superior tae Taks. Still have my ST901, my most used camera, small with a good heft but still lighter (around 850g with a 50mm lens) than my A700+lens by about 200g.

Something ye'll havetae bear in mind is that Fujinon lenses have a small lug on the lens body; Fujica cameras have a ring round the lens mount which rotates against a light spring pressure. This, coupled with a small stud on the camera body, locks at a precise distance and sets the maximum aperture of the lens being installed. Once the lens installs the metering knows the max aperture, which enables the full aperture framing and focusing.

This small lug prevents Fujinon lenses fitting properly on SLRs/DSLRs as they do not fit flush thus preventing infinity focus - or worse. Ah've read that there are adapters available for digital but have been unsuccessful in finding them. The only alternative is tae butcher the lens by chopping off the lug. The lens will then work fully manually.

Me? Ah'd get a Fujica ST camera, 705 or above, avaoiding the bayonet mount versions. Ye may never go back tae digital or RF.
The earlier M42 Fujica bodies which use stop down metering do not have the ring for the aperture setting, and have a plain mount that will accept most M42 lenses.
Cheers
Brett

Old 12-05-2013   #10
pepeguitarra

I have some of those, and use them with the Pentax K5:

AutoFujinon55mmf1.8-FloresRojas-4 by Palenquero, on Flickr

AutoFujinon55mmf1.8-elbow-3 by Palenquero, on Flickr

AutoFujinon55mmf1.8-Chair-4 by Palenquero, on Flickr

[email protected] by Palenquero, on Flickr

Fujinon50mmf1.4-S-1-200f1/16 by Palenquero, on Flickr

FujinonEBC55mmf1.8-Candies-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Old 12-05-2013   #11
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

I never owned them for a long time, but from my casual shooting I remember EBC lenses have softer bokeh than my Nikkors.

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwicaksana

Old 12-06-2013   #12
locheeboy
locheeboy

Quote:
The earlier M42 Fujica bodies which use stop down metering do not have the ring for the aperture setting, and have a plain mount that will accept most M42 lenses.
Cheers
Brett
My oversight Brett,

the ST605(n) takes manual, M42. Ah've only ever seen the f2.2/55mm, never seen any other normal M42 Fujinons. All the Fujicas/Fujinon lenses from the 705 have the ring and tab on the lens.