How to Convert Digital to Film ?
Old 08-17-2013   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

How to Convert Digital to Film ?

With digital backs for film cameras, I would guess some enterprising soul has figured out how to do the reverse .... digital file to negative and wet processing.

OK, you have a digital file that you want to wet print. You want a real silver or palladium print from those pesky pixels.

What are the best ways to do that ?

Stephen

Old 08-17-2013   #2
kzphoto

Back in school we used to print on Pictorico transparency sheets and then contact print the images using your choice of medium. Works okay provided that you have a decent ink-jet printer.

Old 08-17-2013   #3
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
With digital backs for film cameras, I would guess some enterprising soul has figured out how to do the reverse .... digital file to negative and wet processing.

OK, you have a digital file that you want to wet print. You want a real silver or palladium print from those pesky pixels.

Stephen
There are labs that will create a large format neg from your digital files. Just find one in your vicinity. I know a black and white lab near me that exposes digital files on either 4x5 or 8x10 Ilford FP4+. The prices are pretty steep here but I'm sure in the US it's more reasonable.

Edit: It says they use a "Kodak LVT 1620" which I guess is some sort of film recorder.

Old 08-17-2013   #4
muser53
MUSER53

An alternative to having this done at a lab would be to use PS in conjunction with an inkjet printer to produce a negative you can contact print from. Here is link I just found after reading your question that is a good primer on this topic.
http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/...negatives.html

Old 08-17-2013   #5
bonatto
looking out

Quote:

Stephen
I've read somewhere that Sebastião Salgado's Genesis was done almost entirely with this process. Canon files, printed from medium format film.

Old 08-17-2013   #6
bonatto
looking out

Some more info:

Quote:
DD: What was it like shifting to digital photography for the first time during the Genesis project?

SS: I started out working with negatives with a medium-format Pentax camera. About halfway through, in 2008, I switched to a digital camera because I was in constant fear that security machines at airports could destroy my films. A friend assured me that digital images were now of good quality. When I went digital, I switched to a Canon camera and I found the quality was much better than the medium-format negatives. In the final prints, you can see no difference because I have worked with one film, Kodak Tri-X film, all my life, and we were able to reproduce the exact grain of that film in the digital image. We also created a way of working that was no different from how I had always worked. I recorded everything on digital cards just as I did with film and, from these images on the cards, contact sheets and prints were made for me. Those I selected were then made into negatives. So, except for minor differences, the process was exactly the same.
http://www.rom.on.ca/en/collections-...n-conversation

Old 08-17-2013   #7
Roger Hicks

Dear Stephen,

There is a De Vere enlarger which creates (in effect) a digital "negative" that can be projected onto proper silver halide paper. Not cheap, but it works: I saw it at Focus on Imaging a few years ago, and they even printed a snap of mine to show that it worked. See http://www.de-vere.com/products.htm

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-17-2013   #8
bonatto
looking out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Stephen,

There is a De Vere enlarger which creates (in effect) a digital "negative" that can be projected onto proper silver halide paper. Not cheap, but it works: I saw it at Focus on Imaging a few years ago, and they even printed a snap of mine to show that it worked. See http://www.de-vere.com/products.htm

Cheers,

R.

That's really cool, didn't realize it existed. What's going rate for one of these?

Old 08-17-2013   #9
yoyo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonatto View Post
That's really cool, didn't realize it existed. What's going rate for one of these?
current models should be > 25k USD

Old 08-17-2013   #10
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Stephen,

Cheers,

R.
Thanks for the information, I'll have to read it in detail tomorrow. Also, long ago hint, thanks for the diagonal drying of roll film negatives.

Old 08-18-2013   #11
Skiff

Quote:

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

German engineering will always help you :

http://www.variochromat.de/

Old 08-18-2013   #12
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Ron Reeder's site has oodles of info about this subject.

Old 08-18-2013   #13
Frontman

I saw an interesting item at a junk shop in Tokyo. It was a high resolution CRT monitor fit into a metal housing, the housing contained a lens assembly which was covered by a Polaroid PA45 film back. It was a piece of equipment used to catch stills of video on film. One could easily enough use a 4x5 holder instead of the Polaroid back, and I suppose the CRT monitor could be easily enough replaced with an LCD type.

Old 08-18-2013   #14
Thardy

We used a film recorder back in the 1990s to record digital presentations on PowerPoint to 35mm slide film. The slides were then used in slide projectors. At the time, a film recorder cost about $5,000.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 08-18-2013   #15
anjoca76

I just recently had a b&w gelatin print made from a digital file (shot originally on film, then scanned) by a company here in Boston: http://www.digitalsilverimaging.com

PS: Nice to see you're back, Roger!

Flickr

Old 08-18-2013   #16
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:

I used to do this back in the 1990s using techniques published by Dan Burkholder:
http://www.danburkholder.com/Pages/m...lder_Home.html

Here's another book on he subject:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Negati.../dp/0240808541

Oh yeah: in the 1980s, I had one of those film recorders mentioned up thread as part of my work at JPL/NASA. It was how we took the digital images created by our imaging radar remote sensors and output then to hard copy prints that we distributed to PIs with their digital data on 9-track tape.

G