Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Old 05-29-2013   #41
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Andy,
you mentioned one film was OK, and then problems with two subsequent films. What exactly is it doing? Not advancing each frame correctly? Spacing faults? Shutter not firing after you advance? Not stopping for each frame?
Best,
Brett

Old 05-29-2013   #42
Mablo

I've had a couple of 'Cords which had a slight problem with the frame counter. One of them took only 10 frames instead of 12 and the other one didn't stop at frame number one when loading a new film. Both cameras were repaired quite easily by a local 'old school' camera service shop.

Old 05-29-2013   #43
anjoca76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Andy,
you mentioned one film was OK, and then problems with two subsequent films. What exactly is it doing? Not advancing each frame correctly? Spacing faults? Shutter not firing after you advance? Not stopping for each frame?
Best,
Brett
Brett, the shutter fires every time. The problem is that more often than not, after cocking and firing the shutter, the film advance knob cannot be moved. It doesn't budge. I had thought it was because I wasn't pushing the release knob/tab over to the left far or firmly enough after cocking the shutter. I noticed if I just barely gave it pressure (for slow speeds, for example, so as not to move the camera) the shutter would release, but the film wouldn't advance. But I think that was just a coincidence, because after getting through one roll like that I couldn't replicate it on the next couple of rolls. Now there is no pattern I can detect. Sometimes it fires and I can advance the film. Other times not.

I know there are others besides Paul out there who can probably fix it, but I'm sending it back to KEH almost out of principle at this point. They listed this camera on ebay and claimed it was in outstanding condition and perfect working order. If they wanted to refund me a chunk of money toward repairs, then perhaps I'd go that route, but they won't, and there are tons of other Rolleicords out there.

Flickr

Old 05-29-2013   #44
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoca76 View Post
Brett, the shutter fires every time. The problem is that more often than not, after cocking and firing the shutter, the film advance knob cannot be moved. It doesn't budge. I had thought it was because I wasn't pushing the release knob/tab over to the left far or firmly enough after cocking the shutter. I noticed if I just barely gave it pressure (for slow speeds, for example, so as not to move the camera) the shutter would release, but the film wouldn't advance. But I think that was just a coincidence, because after getting through one roll like that I couldn't replicate it on the next couple of rolls. Now there is no pattern I can detect. Sometimes it fires and I can advance the film. Other times not.

I know there are others besides Paul out there who can probably fix it, but I'm sending it back to KEH almost out of principle at this point. They listed this camera on ebay and claimed it was in outstanding condition and perfect working order. If they wanted to refund me a chunk of money toward repairs, then perhaps I'd go that route, but they won't, and there are tons of other Rolleicords out there.
Hi Andy,
fair enough. If you haven't received what you paid for I totally get why you would want to return it. It's a feeling I know all too well, having bought a number of Rolleis online. These days I expect some sort of fault as a matter of course, no matter what I've been told.

Personally I still reckon that as the issue has to do with the interlock between the shutter release and the film wind, it can probably be sorted out pretty easily. If you were closer to me I would be happy to take a look at it for you, but I hope you have more luck with the next one. It's certainly worth the effort of procuring a sound example, they're capable of excellent results. Keep us in the loop please.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 05-29-2013   #45
wallace

I would ask Karl Bryan who is specialized in Autocords. As mentioned above, the
transport system of the Rolleicord is fairly simple. I am sure Karl can fix it.
He is a very nice guy, just call him before you give away this lovely looking V.

Old 06-04-2013   #46
anjoca76

Well, this weekend I picked up a new 'cord V from a local guy. It seems to function well. The negatives are hanging up to dry and look good. But I'll know for sure once I scan them tonight. I'll post some samples as soon as I can. Fingers crossed.

Flickr

Old 06-06-2013   #47
anjoca76

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoca76 View Post
Well, this weekend I picked up a new 'cord V from a local guy. It seems to function well. The negatives are hanging up to dry and look good. But I'll know for sure once I scan them tonight. I'll post some samples as soon as I can. Fingers crossed.
Here are a couple from my first test roll:

Scan-130605-0006 by smokeycalifornia, on Flickr

Scan-130604-0004 by smokeycalifornia, on Flickr

Flickr

Old 06-06-2013   #48
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Looking good!