Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

i'm sticking with flickr...
Old 05-26-2013   #1
back alley
IMAGES

i'm sticking with flickr...

...for now, anyway!

i need to see what the free site will look like first before i make a final decision.

for me, flickr has been both a storage and viewing site. i have always operated under the view that it is not a gallery site and not a site that will make me any money...
it holds pretty much anything i want to hold on to for blogging or posting purposes.

my 'better' stuff is on my image blog and that is the address i usually give my buds when they ask so that they can see what i've been up to.
it has been worth the 25 bucks a year that it cost me but i doubt that i will go ahead and pay the new $50 fee for mostly what amounts to no ads.
can't see why i would do that...

i get some feedback from the flickr site...way more than anywhere else that i post my pics...and hope that continues.

flickr has been tweaking all along while the controvery has been growing and the front page is no longer as dreadful as it was, either before the change or at the change.
i have played around and found pretty much everything else that i used to look at...really don't have to be a computer wiz to play around and find stuff.

anyway...that's how i see things right now.

Old 05-26-2013   #2
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Well I'm still there too...soooo many Contacts & Friends
I use it as a place of storage & a jumping board to post Photos from
(like here on Rff)

Hoping One's homepage may revert back or at least have the Option
to the Simple & Clean viewing of four large photos and a series of 'Sets'

Joined up at Impernity but have not uploaded any Photos ...Prefer to be out shooting than All this cataloguing

Old 05-26-2013   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I tend to agree Joe.

I've just uploaded a pile of images to my flickr page which had been dormant for years. It ain't that hard to navigate either IMO.

Old 05-26-2013   #4
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

My understanding is if you already have the pro account you will continue to get the $24.95 rate. I got my renewal notice last week for my June renewal and it is $24.95.

I also suspect Flickr will continue to evolve for the better..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-26-2013   #5
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Sitting tight. I have a lot of friends still on flickr. We'll see what happens.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 05-26-2013   #6
gavinlg

New flickr is good. Cant see what everyone is complaining about. Yeah it's different - look at it with an open mind and for viewing content it's actually much nicer.

Old 05-26-2013   #7
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
My understanding is if you already have the pro account you will continue to get the $24.95 rate. I got my renewal notice last week for my June renewal and it is $24.95.

As far as I can see the only advantage of keeping my Pro account going would be unlimited storage vs 1 tetrabyte. Given that I only have a GB or less of images after 3 years I think the tetra will serve my needs for a looong time.

Old 05-26-2013   #8
ChrisN
Striving

Agree here too Joe. Flickr is for hosting, and for the community found in the Groups. It's a great resource for images from particular lenses, or with other unusual characteristics.

Someone made the comment recently that anyone truly concerned about how their images are presented will naturally create their own website, so they have total control. That makes sense, rather than complaining about changes in a free service.

And let's not forget - content beats presentation every time. The way Facebook presents photos is pretty ugly, but just have a look at Peter Turnley's FB page. The photos are compelling; the page layout is forgotten.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-26-2013   #9
John Bragg

I am still sticking with it. I'm sure it will evolve into something different very soon. I actually like the new setup !

Old 05-26-2013   #10
bwcolor

Up until now I have only 17GB of images on Flickr, but now that the upper limit is raised to 200MB/image, I can now store full TIFFs and the unlimited just might come in handy. It is good to have off-site storage.

Old 05-26-2013   #11
Jubb Jubb

pretty much deleted all my shots. not really keen on the new layout but still have my profile active for the groups.

Old 05-26-2013   #12
ebolton
Number 7614

Joe, your post describes my position exactly. I will continue to see you there.

ed_bltn

Old 05-26-2013   #13
hepcat
Former PH, USN

I've had a Yahoo account since 1998. They've changed things regularly that screw up browsers and take forever to load stuff... and then they figure out what they screwed up and they get it fixed in a couple of weeks. It's nothing new.

I used Yahoo photos before it became Flickr. They've already sorted out some of the issues with the new interface. Unfortunately, because of its nature its more of a bandwidth hog than the old interface, but they'll get it figured out. Flickr is still the best off-site photo-warehousing available. They have the best TOS and probably the best security. I'll be renewing my "Pro" subscription when it comes up again in November of '14.

Find me on the web...

Old 05-26-2013   #14
gb hill

Quote:

This is the way I read it. It's like if you are already Pro then your grandfathered in. As long as you keep your Pro account you only pay the $24.99. The way I post I'll never fill up a terabyte (or whatever) so I opted for a free account & a refund. I may close out my blogger account & use Ipernity for the other stuff. I'm beginning to warm up a bit to the new flickr. I think the photos are better once you click on them individually.

Old 05-26-2013   #15
jarski

no plans to post full resolution, or take advantage of all the space. was about to switch from Flickr couple times in past years when nothing seem to improve, so now am definitely staying.

Ipernity that surfaced during all this hoopla in past days, looks just like Flickr used to, so guess its logical move for those that cannot stomach the new UI.

Old 05-26-2013   #16
btgc

flickr have not introduced ads yet.
I've logged out and go through flickr to see ads but no one yet.

Interesting, how and where they will fit them? They could appear also when free accounts use links to their pics on external sites.

Old 05-26-2013   #17
farlymac
PF McFarland

They've crammed so much stuff onto the home page, it's hard to say where the ads will be placed. Most likely of the irritating pop-up type. But I'm sticking with it, as my camera repair photos seem to have a decent following, and I'd hate to kill all of that. The new format is okay, I just hate that I had to switch browsers to be able to use it. I don't like the look of Chrome, as there is too much white space, and the fonts are scrimpy. Guess that's how they sped things up. Now if Flickr could figure out we don't need a load of stuff being crammed up the pipeline, maybe their site will run better too.

PF

Old 05-26-2013   #18
back alley
IMAGES

my old macbook seems ok with the change...safari running well.

Old 05-26-2013   #19
anjoca76

I'm sticking with it. It does what I need it to, and it looks good to my eyes. I have no interest in going elsewhere at this point.

Flickr

Old 05-26-2013   #20
biomed

Quote:
My pro account is good until March of next year. I'll stick until at least then. Some of the new features seem to be very glitchy at times.

Mike

2016 Photos

rff Gallery

Blog

Old 05-26-2013   #21
Jubb Jubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post

Interesting, how and where they will fit them? They could appear also when free accounts use links to their pics on external sites.
I changed my account from a pro to a free account, and there are ads in the top right of screen.

Old 05-26-2013   #22
sanmich

Quote:

That's a concern...

I'm using Flickr as a storage for my humble weebly site (I need to seriously dust this one). I would hate to see ads on my site...

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 05-26-2013   #23
mani

Have had a dormant Pro account for years - really could not be bothered to use the old uninspiring site. Now I'm quite enthused to start uploading. The UI needs some tweaking (esp the infinite loading/scrolling that slows everything down), but for the most part I feel it's an enormous improvement.
I don't think the ads will appear on images linked on other sites: that would be just another PR disaster, but I'm curious to know how and where they'll be displayed for the free users. I think yahoo will need to be a little more sensitive in future.
Can't understand the hysteria on the flickr feedback pages though: never seen so much screaming and hair-wrenching since I was at nursery school.

Old 05-26-2013   #24
btgc

Pop-up ads are too easy to remove. Probably Yahoo will use methods to show ad as one clicks on picture with consecutive display of picture - for linked pictures. This is a battle between advertisers and adblock developers.

I just can't figure out who is financing development and support of free ad blockers. Out of pure fun? Tell me on this.

Old 05-26-2013   #25
Michael Markey

Still have mine and finally its working.
In all the talk about design and front page layout (I still configure mine in the old way) what has been missed is that the thing has been very buggy for some.

At least now I can see stuff like my set page and the navigational tabs are no longer obscured.

So now , I have two accounts....no problem with that.

Old 05-26-2013   #26
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I read on line that photobucket is the second most successful hosting site numerically behind flickr. When you upload an image to photobucket you are played a video ad while the image is uploading and you cannot move on from that ad and place the uploaded file into your gallery until the ad is finished ... sometimes thirty seconds!

The day flickr pulls a stunt like this I'll be gone for good.

Old 05-26-2013   #27
jarski

not wanting to derail discussion from Flickr, but since you asked:

Quote:
I just can't figure out who is financing development and support of free ad blockers. Out of pure fun? Tell me on this.
here's how you can contribute

just got it for Android. not so thorough blocking as in desktop Chrome, but better than unfiltered.

Old 05-26-2013   #28
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Still have mine and finally its working.
In all the talk about design and front page layout (I still configure mine in the old way) what has been missed is that the thing has been very buggy for some.

At least now I can see stuff like my set page and the navigational tabs are no longer obscured.

So now , I have two accounts....no problem with that.
It has been rather frustrating for you; while some of us have had a smooth ride, others have not. Personally I've had no problems barring a few occasions when the site just refused to load. I put that down to overloaded servers rather than any issues with the site design. I don't have a particularly fast internet connection so I expect the occasional hiccup.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-26-2013   #29
Michael Markey

It has Chris

No loading problems as yet though.
Just those juvenile messages on the loading page .
How we laughed ... not

Old 05-26-2013   #30
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I read on line that photobucket is the second most successful hosting site numerically behind flickr. When you upload an image to photobucket you are played a video ad while the image is uploading and you cannot move on from that ad and place the uploaded file into your gallery until the ad is finished ... sometimes thirty seconds!

The day flickr pulls a stunt like this I'll be gone for good.
I have no problem when sometimes somewhere on a page an ad appears that I'm able to ignore. When an ad forces me to wait, I'm off

Old 05-27-2013   #31
Sparrow

... ipernity now for my gallery stuff, simply leaving my flicker content as it is to preserve the links and contacts

I've changed my bookmark-page to one of my group pages ... which they've forgot wreck so far ... so I don't get the shock of their ghastly photo-stream when I log in

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-27-2013   #32
henri klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubb Jubb View Post
pretty much deleted all my shots. not really keen on the new layout but still have my profile active for the groups.
Once the ads start to appear people will leave anyway.

Old 05-28-2013   #33
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri klein View Post

Once the ads start to appear people will leave anyway.
I deactivated my ad-blocker for flickr and only saw a small ad in the upper right area. that's really OK as long as it's not creeping into the photo streams.

Old 05-28-2013   #34
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

The ads on flickr were never that intrusive, relative to other services. Of course the free model can only go so far, if people don't want to pay for it, they will put ads, then people may or may not leave. Of course the question is then, why didn't people want to pay for it in the first place ?

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 05-28-2013   #35
back alley
IMAGES

i just got a paypal invoice in the e-mail...for another year of flickr.
it was an auto payment...no ads for me i guess!

Old 05-28-2013   #36
Sparrow

... image courtesy of Bob France

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 05-28-2013   #37
ferider

I wonder about correlation of the flickr changes, and Yahoo acquiring tumblr.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/05/fl...t-the-internet

Old 05-28-2013   #38
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
I wonder about correlation of the flickr changes, and Yahoo acquiring tumblr.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/05/fl...t-the-internet
It is an interesting article, but I think flickr and tumblr could work well together. With optional integration, Yahoo, could design it so that photos could be simultaneously uploaded to flickr and to one's tumblr blog which could be made to look like the old flickr -- lots of white, etc -- so that everyone could live happily ever after.

Old 05-28-2013   #39
Sparrow

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff