Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

A holiday from film ...
Old 05-23-2013   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

A holiday from film ...

... and it's nearly over!

Sometimes the routine of developing and scanning gets on top of me and I just have to stop, which often means I won't take a photo for several weeks and often a couple of months. When I sensed this mood happening again I made the decision to get a DP2M in the hope that it would keep me shooting ... because the only alternative is my D700 and I've never enjoyed using that camera casually. I think I'm now ready to start shooting some film again and logically the OM-1 beckons ... it's a camera that immediately puts me back in touch with analog photography ... small, simple, very tactile and highly competent.

This particular hiatus has been different though ... I've learned to embrace digital and see it as a personal alternative if film ever did go arse up and it took an unusual/quirky little beast like the DP2M to make me genuinely feel this way. In a different world, if it came to the crunch, I could live with this as my only camera.

Old 05-23-2013   #2
ChrisN
Striving

Keith - have you ever thought about an M9? Or would that be too big and heavy?

I'm asking this because I'm in a similar situation. Since learning how to shoot and process the M9 files to my satisfaction I've felt very little need to shoot film. This will probably pass, so I haven't done anything drastic yet!

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-23-2013   #3
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Chris makes a good point...

Old 05-23-2013   #4
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:

I'm asking this because I'm in a similar situation. Since learning how to shoot and process the M9 files to my satisfaction I've felt very little need to shoot film. This will probably pass, so I haven't done anything drastic yet!

I've thought about that Chris because I know it's worked for you and with M9 prices definitely coming down they are an attractive camera. The RD-1 I aquired never really worked out and I think that is largely the crop factor because over all you can't fault the camera's output. I am a very precise framer though and the rangefinder thing has always bothered me a little in this department.

The current crop of Fujis and the Sony RX cameras have zero appeal for me.

Old 05-23-2013   #5
GaryLH

For me when I feel like shooting film, I tend to reach for a medium format folder like a Bessa iii or Voitlander Perkeo. I am ok w/ developing.. But I tend to get lazy about scanning now that I don't have a full darkroom any longer.

I know how u feel about being in the mood though. When I use one of my folders, talk about back to basics . It makes the dp Merrill's feel like grease lightning in comparison when I go back.

Gary

Old 05-23-2013   #6
mjc

May I ask what the unappealing aspects of the Fujis are for you? Will you keep shooting the DP2M? - Martin

Old 05-23-2013   #7
Contarama

I got tired of shooting/processing film and got worried about it's future prospects so I sold my F2. Big mistake. I dislike the viewfinder in my DSLR and it's bulkiness and so now I am really frustrated when making pictures.

Old 05-23-2013   #8
Classique

For me, I started off with DSLR and film was my way of forcing myself to slow down and to actually make images. But as you have said, developing and scanning sometimes can get a bit too much in a way and digital seems so convenient.

As a result, now days I always carry a film camera and a digital camera so I have the choice of using either for whatever I have planned or unplanned for that day.

BTW DP2M is indeed a digital that seems to cross the boundary between film and digital. The 3 color layer of foveon (pretty similar to color film layout) seems to present the scene more realistically than any other digital I've used. Not realistic in a representation of reality in itself but the image just looks so real. Like you, I think it can be my only camera and I'll be happy.

You should also try strobes with dp2m. Due to its leaf shutter, I find that I can get more creative images with strobes that no other digital I have can.

Old 05-23-2013   #9
Maiku
Maiku

Keith,

Just stick with the Sigma. Your photos look great. Why worry about another film camera or digital. Just use what you have.

Maiku

Old 05-23-2013   #10
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiku View Post
Keith,

Just stick with the Sigma. Your photos look great. Why worry about another film camera or digital. Just use what you have.

Maiku
Where did I suggest I was thinking about another camera ... I must have missed that!

You're right about the Sigma ... it's a gem of a camera and has given me my best digital results to date IMO.

Old 05-23-2013   #11
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by conyon View Post
May I ask what the unappealing aspects of the Fujis are for you? Will you keep shooting the DP2M? - Martin

I think it's the constant hype around these latest cameras that puts me off them more than their form or function. The DPM has created it's own following by offering something entirely different and it was pretty well left up to buyers to discover this for themselves.

Old 05-23-2013   #12
mugent

If I was going to take a break from film, Sigma would be my first choice. I used to have a Sigma SD15 which I loved, a Sigma SD14, which I wasn't quite so keen on, but the modern Sigmas are fantastic. Even a non-Merrill one would do me.

Old 05-24-2013   #13
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think it's the constant hype around these latest cameras that puts me off them more than their form or function.
Well said...

I'm like you re. my D700. Highly capable camera with no major flaws (but for that pesky pop-up flash I'd like Nikon would never ever had fit on any camera) but without anything really attractive, either.

And that ridiculous bulky handgrip...

Yet this is clearly the last Nikon DSLR on which all my nice AI-S 1980's primes will work well thanks to the FF sensor having 12MP only. So, no other choice...

Old 05-24-2013   #14
tsiklonaut

Quote:
I think it's the constant hype around these latest cameras that puts me off them more than their form or function. The DPM has created it's own following by offering something entirely different and it was pretty well left up to buyers to discover this for themselves.
The same reason I went for Sigma, the best digital "option" to stay away from the consumerist masses. I'm sick of megapixel numbers, tech-race & overhyping by the large manufacturers, and complete hype-based digital information overflow in the internet - dpreviewing etc that are probably mostly sponsored off by the large digital hardware or software manufacturers. A world mentally consuming itself.

Analog is like a domain of tranquility and meditation in comparison - a small shrine where you can hide and find peace and calmness. Makes me apreciate my Pentax 67 (I never got along well with 35mm film) that's as old as I am - amazing to think it still lives up and even surpasses some if not most of high-end digital cameras today, and it costs what - 300$. But it's the difference you see from the film that divides from the rest of 99% "another-digital-image-from-my-lunch" world. I'm lazy too and naturally would like to shoot digital and grow on a belly, but lately I just force myself to shoot more film and in retrospect it always brings a lot of joy once I put those negs and positives through my drumscanner.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Sigma DP2 like no other digital camera but nothing compares to what juice I get for my soul from P67 - I can change the sensor from B&W to infrared, color neg to E6. Sigma I use for documenting and it's small enough to carry along in the pocket to use as documenting and sometimes it's also filling a niche where P67 is too lardy or slow to use - i.e. quick shoots of street people where's big loss factor in the later selection or would be waste of film. All the thought-through art shots I leave to P67. I found they compliment each other superbly in this way, the best of both worlds.

Some film shots from my last holiday:

No Photoshopping or digital faking, software simulating or emulating effects to get those images. Just scans and basic adjustments.

Just my 2c.

Margus

Old 05-24-2013   #15
anjoca76

Those are stunning images!

Flickr

Old 05-24-2013   #16
mugent

Margus - Your work is so good, I find it almost annoying :-)

Old 05-24-2013   #17
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugent View Post
Margus - Your work is so good, I find it almost annoying :-)

You may want to stay away from the 'post your foveon images' thread!

Old 05-24-2013   #18
thegman

Margus, 'Wind's Painting', 'Dreaming', and 'Tanjung Aan Beach' are totally outstanding.

Wind's Painting in particular, it's hard to imagine a better landscape photograph, just strikingly good.

Old 05-24-2013   #19
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:

Well I guess you have a lovely purpose built darkroom just waiting for your return ... whenever that may be?

Old 05-24-2013   #20
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
The same reason I went for Sigma, the best digital "option" to stay away from the consumerist masses. I'm sick of megapixel numbers, tech-race & overhyping by the large manufacturers, and complete hype-based digital information overflow in the internet - dpreviewing etc that are probably mostly sponsored off by the large digital hardware or software manufacturers. A world mentally consuming itself.

Analog is like a domain of tranquility and meditation in comparison - a small shrine where you can hide and find peace and calmness. Makes me apreciate my Pentax 67 (I never got along well with 35mm film) that's as old as I am - amazing to think it still lives up and even surpasses some if not most of high-end digital cameras today, and it costs what - 300$. But it's the difference you see from the film that divides from the rest of 99% "another-digital-image-from-my-lunch" world. I'm lazy too and naturally would like to shoot digital and grow on a belly, but lately I just force myself to shoot more film and in retrospect it always brings a lot of joy once I put those negs and positives through my drumscanner.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Sigma DP2 like no other digital camera but nothing compares to what juice I get for my soul from P67 - I can change the sensor from B&W to infrared, color neg to E6. Sigma I use for documenting and it's small enough to carry along in the pocket to use as documenting and sometimes it's also filling a niche where P67 is too lardy or slow to use - i.e. quick shoots of street people where's big loss factor in the later selection or would be waste of film. All the thought-through art shots I leave to P67. I found they compliment each other superbly in this way, the best of both worlds.

Margus

And ... you've reminded me that I have a P67ii lurking in the cupboard!

Old 05-24-2013   #21
tsiklonaut

Quote:
And ... you've reminded me that I have a P67ii lurking in the cupboard!
You lucky bastid, wish I could afford the mighty P67ii

Old 05-24-2013   #22
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
You lucky bastid, wish I could afford the mighty P67ii
That phenominal piece of kit was sold to me at an amazingly generous price by a member here a couple of years ago ... I was very fortunate. The camera had virtually zero use and I got the 75mm and 105mm in the deal.

Old 05-24-2013   #23
hausen

Totally get where you are coming from Keith. I have been on a hiatus from film for a couple of months since I got the RX-1 after dropping my M9 in the Harbour. I know you mention Rx-1 has no appeal to you but I love it. But just this week I massaged the shutter of my Linhof 612 and have gone crazy and shot 6 rolls in last 2 days. Processed one so far a results look awesome. So the old saying 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' applies with me and film.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 05-24-2013   #24
Sparrow

... well at least one need not worry about x-rays on that particular holiday

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-24-2013   #25
FrankS

Shame on you, Keith!

joke

photography makes me happy

Old 05-24-2013   #26
bwidjaja
Warung Photo

Margus, thanks for sharing the wonderful photos of my home land which I have not seen for a while... I remember the wonderful days I spent diving in Lombok as well.

You guys are giving me some serious GAS for DPXM...

Old 05-24-2013   #27
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Shame on you, Keith!

joke

In internet speak Frank ... RAFLMAO!

Old 05-24-2013   #28
Aristophanes

Quote:

Some film shots from my last holiday:

No Photoshopping or digital faking, software simulating or emulating effects to get those images. Just scans and basic adjustments.

Just my 2c.

Margus
This is not a holiday from film.

These photos are film on a holiday!

Lovely work.