Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 05-21-2013   #161
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Ah , yes ...thanks.
It takes me to the slide show screen but I can amend now.

Tortuous comes to mind
Glad its working Michael. I think it will take a little time to get used to. My pc is also working ..... Slowly !

Old 05-21-2013   #162
Michael Markey

Hi John.
Its still not loading a page directly from links though .
I having to go to the first icon on the right of the screen which then takes me to the slide show screen.

Old 05-21-2013   #163
css9450

Is it just my imagination, or has Profiles disappeared? I can't find either my own or anyone else's. Some people have really cool stuff in their profiles; maybe that's all gone now?

I also don't like the minimalization of information for a lot of things. Click on one of your sets, for example, and the description you so carefully wrote has been reduced to just one or two lines at the top of the page. I don't see a way to expand it to the whole paragraph. Yes, it shows if you mouse-over it; is that the new default? Why even bother.

I also don't see any EXIF data. My own nor anyone else's.

Old 05-21-2013   #164
wilonstott
Wil O.

Well, some of my contacts post nudes frequently.

SOOO...There's an A$$, big as Christmas, on my front page right now.

Thanks for that Flickr guys. Way to think it through.

I'll use Flickr at work very carefully from here on out.

I guess I'm a narcissistic, but I like to see my stats when I log in, and not my contacts' photos. When it comes down to it, I care about me, first and foremost, and I'll see about you if I have time.

The Black Background on the main photo pages--come one, rethink this. Galleries don't do this. When people print, they don't do this (who mattes in black, seriously?). Magnum Doesn't do this. Boston.com (Big Picture) doesn't do this. Atlantic Monthly (In Focus) doesn't do this. National Geographic doesn't do this. I need to be able to see the edges in order to make out the composition; otherwise the image kind of gets lost and indistinct.

The Justified View crowds everything a bit too much. I take a lot of 'portait oriented' photos (vertical), and those are effectively de-emphasized because this format makes them smaller in relation to the horizontal photos. Kinda sucks. Also, I can't see the photo info with the pictures. I like being able to see that.

I think they're going in the right direction, but they need to remember to make the site image focused, and that doesn't necessarily mean covering every square inch of the page with images. Overload, man. The Image (singular), not the images (plural), which, of course, are different things.

I mean, the site may have needed an overhaul, and I'm cool with that, but I don't think it need's a Tumbler/Instagram interface in order to make the images look cooler. I mean, we create the content, and that content should stand on it's own. There's a reason art galleries are really plain.

I think it's a bit patronizing when they presume to make the photos look better or more appealing. I know they aren't adding filters or forcing them into square frames, but they are still forcing a certain perspective, forcing a certain way of viewing the material. This I disagree with.

The site is about the Image.

Everything is built on that.

The groups are built on that, and the groups are one of the most unique and wonderful things about the internet.

If the flickr groups die, something will have really been lost, and for no good reason.

Maybe not. I don't want to get all death and dower, so I won't. I actually like change.

But I like it more when form follows function, and a lot of what I've seen on the new site seems too violate that.

Old 05-21-2013   #165
anjoca76

OK, I've decided that I think the new flickr is a BIG improvement over the old one. I've been using it a bunch this morning, uploading, organizing, etc, and everything I used to do I can still do, and I think the photo layout looks much nicer than it used to look. The only things (so far) I don't like the cliched Ken Burns photo panning and the way contacts are displayed. I don't use flickr for the community aspect of it, so the way it tries to force that is kind of annoying. Why does everything have to be social media?

But all in all, I'm really digging the new flickr. The upgrade prices I could do without, but I re-upped for the pro account a couple months ago, so I don't have to worry about that just yet.

Flickr

Old 05-21-2013   #166
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Is it just my imagination, or has Profiles disappeared? I can't find either my own or anyone else's. Some people have really cool stuff in their profiles; maybe that's all gone now?

I also don't like the minimalization of information for a lot of things. Click on one of your sets, for example, and the description you so carefully wrote has been reduced to just one or two lines at the top of the page. I don't see a way to expand it to the whole paragraph. Yes, it shows if you mouse-over it; is that the new default? Why even bother.

I also don't see any EXIF data. My own nor anyone else's.
Profile: click on a persons name. In his/her photostream click on the three dots (right above). Click on Profile.

EXIF: when in the detail view of a photo, click on the three dots (right under the photo). Click on EXIF.

The description of the photos is just under the photo, as long and nice as you wrote it. Maybe it's necessary that you scroll down a bit.

Old 05-21-2013   #167
regularchickens

I like the change. The homepage is now oriented around showing contacts' photos in an easily-viewable stream, which fixes the main problem I had with Flickr: it was a bear to keep up with what your contacts had been posting.

As for the single-photo view, I like how everything important is above the cut and all the secondary information is below the cut. And now I no longer have to click, click, click to see the photo at a resolution bigger than the default circa 2006.

I've allowed my Flickr to go fallow over the past couple of years, but this might get me to come back.

Old 05-21-2013   #168
TennesseJones

Quite right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilonstott View Post

I think they're going in the right direction, but they need to remember to make the site image focused, and that doesn't necessarily mean covering every square inch of the page with images. Overload, man. The Image (singular), not the images (plural), which, of course, are different things.

I mean, the site may have needed an overhaul, and I'm cool with that, but I don't think it need's a Tumbler/Instagram interface in order to make the images look cooler. I mean, we create the content, and that content should stand on it's own. There's a reason art galleries are really plain.

I think it's a bit patronizing when they presume to make the photos look better or more appealing. I know they aren't adding filters or forcing them into square frames, but they are still forcing a certain perspective, forcing a certain way of viewing the material. This I disagree with.

The site is about the Image.

Everything is built on that.

Old 05-21-2013   #169
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
I have titles Chris just an inability to amend anything.
Thanks Michael., my photo-stream is a mess of sizes with no titles unless you "hover" the mouse.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 05-21-2013   #170
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Took most of my photographs down. Left some photographs online since a plug-in on my website uses them. I'll figure that out later.

Bye, Flickr.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 05-21-2013   #171
Kent
Finally at home...

Looks good, but I agree to those who dislike the interface.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 05-21-2013   #172
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilonstott View Post
If the flickr groups die, something will have really been lost, and for no good reason.
How come that the flickr groups will die? Strange thought.

Old 05-21-2013   #173
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
... it has become really difficult to see ones contacts' photos and comments ... the old layout had 25 or 30 per page now one gets one an a half before having to use the clunky scroll function ... it certainly wasn't designed for use with my old imac

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-21-2013   #174
Out to Lunch

All the philosophical debates aside, Flickr should allow users to maintain the 'classic' mode. If Microsoft could handle that, so could they. Right now, I am an unhappy customer.

Old 05-21-2013   #175
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

My goodness, such hate!

As a heavy Flickr user (4 years 'pro' and counting, close to 4000 photos, over a million views) I have to say I absolutely love it. Took me about 5 min to find everything I want to access and the new way of showing pictures is nothing short of brilliant. Way, way better than before.

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 05-21-2013   #176
wilonstott
Wil O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
I'm not saying they will.

But if the core user base gets turned off, and there's a mass exodus, then with the users go the groups.

Groups need members.

Before that I imply that I didn't want to get ahead of myself, which I don't.

However, I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a concern of mine.

Old 05-21-2013   #177
Michael Markey

Very few positive comments about the changes on the sight itself.
Accepting that some here welcome the changes , I don`t think that the implementation has been thought through.

Giving people the option to migrate to the new format may have been a better idea.

Old 05-21-2013   #178
ronnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularchickens View Post
I like the change. The homepage is now oriented around showing contacts' photos in an easily-viewable stream, which fixes the main problem I had with Flickr: it was a bear to keep up with what your contacts had been posting.
Yes but the contacts photos has become the MAIN part of the homepage which is utter nonsense as far as I'm concerned. I have a Flickr account to post my own images not show off all my contacts images. It would be fine to have something a lot smaller for contacts images on the home page.

Plus if you try to scroll down to the bottom of the home page to get to the menu, all that happens is the page fills up with MORE contact photos and the menu disappears off the bottom off the screen.

Very bad design !!

Not had any problems with the rest of it though.

Ronnie

Old 05-21-2013   #179
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
All the philosophical debates aside, Flickr should allow users to maintain the 'classic' mode. If Microsoft could handle that, so could they.
I understand you might be an upset customer, but that's generally not a good idea, and Microsoft isn't exactly quoted for their good design principles

There will always be people who dislike the "new" interface, regardless of what it looks like because it simply breaks their habits, aiming to please everyone doesn't work, I prefer a more clear cut approach than a wishy-washy "you get the new but the old at the same time and there's no consistency with our look"

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 05-21-2013   #180
MikeDimit

I like it. And it is up to date solution. You see, it is obvious that internet industry is forwarding to cloud solutions. It is easy , cheap and with more trading options. I do recall in some 20 years ago that entering a computer classes in my university my teacher said that we would be working on terminals ,something that was unfamiliar to us - PC users. History repeats - today we use terminals to get access, but they are mobiles, tablets and so on.

Old 05-21-2013   #181
gho

Hmm, I am not sure if I want to throw my viewers 500 pics into the face at once.

My biggest complaint is that it is so sloooow, nearly unusable over my humble internet connection. But I guess they will sort it out in the next few weeks.

Old 05-21-2013   #182
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDimit View Post
I like it. And it is up to date solution. You see, it is obvious that internet industry is forwarding to cloud solutions. It is easy , cheap and with more trading options.
Ironically, flickr bonus account just got more expensive - as twice as now, and offers less features except useless "unlimited space". You can like it, but don't get fooled by up to date solution.

Old 05-21-2013   #183
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Don't like it....
will have to see if I can play with it to my liking
I really preferred four photos on the Home page
Than hitting the Viewer with Photo overload
After trying to navigate and use the new site, I agree with Helen. The old flickr allowed you more freedom as to how you wanted to present your photos, and it was easier to engage in discussions with other photographers over their work and yours. Over the years, communities of photographers evolved on flickr and made the old interface work for them.

I feel like the new interface has been imposed on paying users, w/ no effort to solicit their input, and in an annoyingly disruptive manner (no announcement that these changes were coming). I really don't like the way my photographs are displayed on the new home page, and the new activity page looks cluttered.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 05-21-2013   #184
gho

Hmm, after playing around with it a bit I must say I like it. It really brings the photos up to the frontpage. Almost no text, just pictures. Fine with me. A little bright flower shot as a header , a small black and white icon. Done.

Old 05-21-2013   #185
andersju

I quite like it. Flickr had been stagnating for years - this was necessary for survival. And remember, this is a big software project, the flickr devs are probably working hard at squishing all kinds of bugs, and things will hopefully improve after feedback (so do send them feedback if you're not happy: http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-...7633547442506/).

Old 05-21-2013   #186
SausalitoDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart John View Post
I'm grateful for the extra free space upload space.
Yeah...it looks like all increase in benefit for the same price to me...

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 05-21-2013   #187
3rdtrick

How weird is this??? I have been using the old Flickr site until today and did not know what everyone was talking about. I looked through lots of galleries yesterday and it was the old site without the black bar across the top. Probably because I had not closed my browser but when I logged on today, it was the new one. Does not make much difference to me as I just use it for the groups and not my main hosting site.
Pete

Old 05-21-2013   #188
gho

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersju View Post
I quite like it. Flickr had been stagnating for years - this was necessary for survival. And remember, this is a big software project, the flickr devs are probably working hard at squishing all kinds of bugs, and things will hopefully improve after feedback (so do send them feedback if you're not happy: http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-...7633547442506/).
Oh wow, the people over there seem to be quite in a rage.

Old 05-21-2013   #189
Filzkoeter
stray dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gho View Post
Oh wow, the people over there seem to be quite in a rage.
They will adapt soon

I kinda like it! As a free user I'm getting a lot more functions... it just needs some time to get used to the new look.
Most of the functions I used stayed the same.

IIt would be nice to have a possibility to change some of the layouts to the "classic" version, maybe yahoo will listen to all the raging people...

- flickr -

Old 05-21-2013   #190
gho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filzkoeter View Post
They will adapt soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filzkoeter View Post
IIt would be nice to have a possibility to change some of the layouts to the "classic" version, maybe yahoo will listen to all the raging people...
They really should. Changing to the new style seems to be a bit too much for many of the customers. And I can understand that many are not too happy when they have the feeling that a new look is simply forced upon them without being asked. An uncluttered, simple look also has its benefits. As it is one could get the feeling of being drowned in the images. And some subtle shots may simply get lost in the overwhelming stream. But maybe this is just the way it is nowadays.

Old 05-21-2013   #191
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Ah , yes ...thanks.
It takes me to the slide show screen but I can amend now.

Tortuous comes to mind
When you first select the image (click on it from the stream, to display that single image), there will be more information, comments etc further down the page - scroll down to see that.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-21-2013   #192
Murchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersju View Post
I quite like it. Flickr had been stagnating for years - this was necessary for survival. And remember, this is a big software project, the flickr devs are probably working hard at squishing all kinds of bugs, and things will hopefully improve after feedback (so do send them feedback if you're not happy: http://<b>http://www.flickr.com/help...547442506/</b>).
Thanks for the feedback url, although it would appear only to solicit feedback on the design, and not other issues like advertising/ account level changes, which to be honest I find a bigger issue, as well as the laissez faire manner in which such a wholesale change was just foisted on their userbase with no notice.

http://500px.com/Murchu

Old 05-21-2013   #193
divewizard
perspicaz

This is the fundamental problem and why it will not change. She views flicks as a place for people to store crappy cell phone pictures, not as a place for photographers.

Chris Grossman
diver.net
GoberianBlue.com

Old 05-21-2013   #194
Greyscale

Here is a tip. If you want to view your photostream as a page of thumbnails instead of all of those 500px photos, click the "edit" link when on your photostream.

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-21-2013   #195
Greyscale

Oh, and if you want to view anyone elses photostream as a page of thumbnails, append "?details=1" to the end of their page URL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greyscale3/?details=1

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-21-2013   #196
Greyscale

One plus, is that with all users having virtually unlimited storage, there should not be as many broken image links and "placeholders" in forum posts, as there is no longer a 200 image limit for non-pro users.

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-21-2013   #197
andersju

Quote:
Originally Posted by divewizard View Post
This is the fundamental problem and why it will not change. She views flicks as a place for people to store crappy cell phone pictures, not as a place for photographers.
I'm sure she doesn't actually believe that there's no such thing as professional photographers anymore. Sounds more like a clever way to get lots of free advertising for the flickr reboot. And it worked.

And their changes -- no more x MB/month upload limit, each image can now be 200 MB (used to be 50 MB if you had pro) -- seem to contradict the notion that they are now just targeting the Instagram crowd.

Old 05-21-2013   #198
ChipMcD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
Here is a tip. If you want to view your photostream as a page of thumbnails instead of all of those 500px photos, click the "edit" link when on your photostream.
At least we have that. Now if they can allow the button to be pushed for everyone's page.

Old 05-21-2013   #199
redisburning
-

I agree with her.

the vast majority of pros are pros only in the sense that they make a paycheck from photographing things. and connotation of skill that goes with that applies to a small handful of people. none of whom have flickrs, as far as I am aware.

Old 05-21-2013   #200
Ron (Netherlands)

One con already: the server seems constantly overloaded, I can't see my pics and those of yours anymore.....

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, 2x Rolleicord Vb, 2x Rolleiflex 3.5F white face, Rolleiflex 2.8A, 5x ICA Tropica

My Flickr