Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 05-21-2013   #121
anjoca76

Looking at the interface/design again this morning, I don't mind it at all. Tons more storage and an updated look. It's a little busy and I really don't like how my contacts' images take up so much space on my screen, but otherwise I think it's OK.

I always thought the old flickr was horribly outdated and annoying to navigate. What did it have going for it? Familiarity.

Flickr

Old 05-21-2013   #122
Bill58
Native Texan

I differ. Yahoo changed their home page and now flickr. Why can't they leave s___ alone?

Old 05-21-2013   #123
user237428934
User deletion pending

Sometimes I think that people are not able to use a webbrowser correctly. Flickr changed some things over the years but all the time the links to functions stayed the same.

The most important ones for me are

http://www.flickr.com/photos/friends
http://www.flickr.com/groups
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize

I have them as links on a special bookmark-quickaccess in the browser. Gives you direct access.

Old 05-21-2013   #124
Penny Lane
Hopelessly Citrophile

Pros/cons thing, this new layout. I can see where just about all of you are coming from with your arguments; I had a rudimentary flow working with the old Flickr and I mostly liked it, but also mostly through familiarity. As long as ownership terms for the posted work aren't up for an update I'm can't be *rsed to worry about the new look though.

The new look might show how a photo will perform in a wild mix of pics. It'll probably take more to make them stand out from the crowd, but that's not a problem to me (they didn't stand out anyway, maybe this'll reveal why )

Also, having a platform that's ready for tablets & smartphones is a good thing as they are not going away any day soon. I had started to refer to my stream through a QR code, and I kind of like that it now refers to a site that is smartphone/tablet based. For those who wish to refer to the old view, just update the links to the edit view which is old style.

I can see how this change is forced, unwanted by many etc. etc. but I simply can't work up the energy to worry about it much.

Still, I do like how people are applying basic survival strategies to the change: they either adapt or migrate

Now I'm going to do as the British do in times of stress - put a kettle on, and toy around with this new situation and see how I can make it work for me...

Derk

Old 05-21-2013   #125
Ron (Netherlands)

I had always a free account with limited space, and now apparently a lot of extra space, still free: how nice!

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, 2x Rolleicord Vb, 2x Rolleiflex 3.5F white face, Rolleiflex 2.8A, 5x ICA Tropica

My Flickr

Old 05-21-2013   #126
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
This reminds me of the thread that followed the change to our gallery here.
... the gallery I no longer use?

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-21-2013   #127
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill58 View Post
I differ. Yahoo changed their home page and now flickr. Why can't they leave s___ alone?
Because flickr was on the road to death. Lost a lot of people to Google+, 500px and such.

Old 05-21-2013   #128
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoca76 View Post
I always thought the old flickr was horribly outdated
How web resource gets outdated? When information don't get updated.

Adding features considered as current and must-have is like wearing high street fashion - insiders know this is cool but regular people don't find there anything great and generally prefer somthing more practical. And cheaper, too (also in case of flickr's ad-free account).

Old 05-21-2013   #129
Thardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
pretty much indifferent here (after 15 mins ). its nice to have more than 200 pics now without paying for it
I let my pro account go a couple of years ago. In March I noticed that I was at the end of a complimentary pro account. I guess they were showing me how nice it was having more than 200 images available. After that I kept getting those "come back to pro" messages. Now this.

I'll take it.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 05-21-2013   #130
Griffin
Grampa's cameras user

That's awesome. I think my pics came back that were not shown anymore due to the limited amount of images possible of a free account. I've not been posting anymore because I didn't want anymore images to disappear, sort of imagining getting a pro account one day.

Old 05-21-2013   #131
f16sunshine

Some will be happy others will be sad.
When it comes to IT/Web business evolution....

Will the sky ever stop falling?

Old 05-21-2013   #132
brbo

If flickr doesn't fix the new UI it will be reduced to a photo backup/cloud service. Free 1TB of space with horrible interface will mean that other presentation platforms which use flickr's storage to present photo material in a sensible manner will start to appear (like flickriver, fluidr... but better).

And then flickr won't be displaying ads to anyone and will start to block 3rd party apps/sites from displaying flickr contents, start charging for storage etc. Yahoo neglected flickr for YEARS but it survived. Now, they have a good chance to finally kill it when they finally poured some money in it, lol...

Old 05-21-2013   #133
steveyork

It's pretty bad. I have text running all over pictures. Time to find an alternative.

Old 05-21-2013   #134
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It seems these photo hosting sites are being heavily influenced by the likes of facebook etc ... photobucket comes to mind.

Thank god for Zenfolio.
Seem logical. Facebook being the tremendous financial success that it is.

And so secure too.

Old 05-21-2013   #135
ronnies

Some good, some bad. Don't mind the photostream page but not keen on the page for displaying each photo. Don't like having to scroll down to see any info. The old page was just fine.

I *HATE* the new homepage though. I don't like having my contacts images spread across the whole page. Not sure why they've done that.

Ronnie

Old 05-21-2013   #136
ChrisN
Striving

OK - found out how to find the old slideshow format (without the pan and zoom).

Starting from whatever list display you have (your Photostream, or a search result or Group) - click the first photo to bring it up full size. Then click on the little set of three dots at lower right. This brings up a list of options, including "View slideshow". Click on that and it brings up the old slideshow display, without the pan and zoom.

If I'm looking at my own photo, that popup menu includes the option to delete the photo, add tags, add to a group or a set, etc.

I'm starting to feel better about this upgrade, but still wish I could control the basic layout.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-21-2013   #137
user237428934
User deletion pending

I'm surprised that the new layout seems to be a big shock for so many people. I dare to say that those people didn't use flickr to a large extent then. Because if they did, they had already seen a lot of the design aspects in the beginning of 2012. Flickr activated the floating photo layout with (almost) endless scrolling in early 2012 for your contacts, later for your favorites and in mid 2012 for the groups.

When I remember right, the layout of this page ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/friends ) didn't change from the beginning of 2012 until now.

The black background was already there for a long time, you just had to press 'L' to have the black background. Now I can skip this and black is the standard.

What they did now, is bring those layout aspects to the photostream that still had the old layout. In my eyes, the layout is more consistent over all the functions than before.

But as always it's a matter of taste.

Old 05-21-2013   #138
Ming The Merciless

I absolutely HATE it. It reminds me of Facebook, which is so ugly.

Old 05-21-2013   #139
Murchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
I had always a free account with limited space, and now apparently a lot of extra space, still free: how nice!
Free, but paid from advertising revenue off the back of your images..

http://500px.com/Murchu

Old 05-21-2013   #140
ronnies

Oh, and I also don't like the way the bottom menu keeps running away from you on the home page!!

Ronnie

Old 05-21-2013   #141
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
But as always it's a matter of taste.

For me its a matter of being able to see my photo stream ...I can`t.

I can access the old format but I can`t edit any of the captions.

I`m presented with a Kaleidoscope of photographs on the home page over layed with incomplete sentences.

I`m struggling to see the design rationale behind the changes unless its an exercise in obfuscation.

If so its succeeded .

Old 05-21-2013   #142
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
For me its a matter of being able to see my photo stream ...I can`t.

I can access the old format but I can`t edit any of the captions.

I`m presented with a Kaleidoscope of photographs on the home page over layed with incomplete sentences.

I`m struggling to see the design rationale behind the changes unless its an exercise in obfuscation.

If so its succeeded .
Sounds like the server you are using (that they are using to serve you) is having problems. Give it a few hours and try again.

To edit captions, display your photo full size (click on it from the muti-photo display), then click the three little dots at bottom right. That should pop up a menu to let you edit the title, description and tags.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-21-2013   #143
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

I noticed a couple months ago they had been slowly modifying the 'groups' interface to this new mosaic-style page, with all the images crammed together with a paucity of information.

I could live with the mosaic-style, because the juxtaposed images eliminated wasted space on the page. It was kinda cool. But typically, I'd revert to the more traditional interface, if only because the 'mosaic' took much longer to load.

Imagine my cringe of horror when I logged into Flickr this weekend and found the entire site has been 're-worked' with this 'feature'.

Like many others who have commented before me, I appreciated Flickr for its clean, uncluttered layout. Sure, it may have been a bit dated, but I found it worked well. I've tried other photo services before and found Flickr was the least awful. (How's that for endorsement! LOL!)

I also agree with other posters here on RFF -- it's like Flickr is trying to be 'hip' and chase after the mobile market.

I noticed that when I installed the 'all new and improved!' Flickr app on my iPad in 2012, it had this EXACT same mosaic-style interface. I HATED IT. It was slow to load the page, gave little pertinent information (without digging), and smelled too much of 'social media'.

I uninstalled the app, and went straight back to my laptop, grateful to still have the original plain-white background and boring but simple text.

Ah, but there was no escaping it -- now we're ALL locked into this new format!

The worst part of all this is that Flickr DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE OPTION TO REVERT TO THE ORIGINAL FORMAT. Why the h*ll not???

Why not give members that option? Is it really that difficult from a programming point-of-view?

In reality, they're probably taking a cue from FB and other social media sites -- just railroad and herd your compliant users into a 'better' interface, they'll get used to it and stop complaining.

* SIGH *

ADDENDUM:

Just noticed that when I call up my 'SETS', the images that I carefully chose to define each set are now cropped in a random and nonsensical way. Now I have to go and adjust my set title images.

Very disappointed in this 'upgrade'.

Last edited by bobby_novatron : 05-21-2013 at 05:03. Reason: More gripes about Flickr

Old 05-21-2013   #144
user237428934
User deletion pending

The performace right now is not really good. I think this is due to the fact that everyone is testing the site and hope in a few days performance is back to normal.

Old 05-21-2013   #145
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

An article from a few days ago about the Flickr 'upgrade':

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/20/ya...ickr-redesign/

* SIGH * What a mess.

Old 05-21-2013   #146
Michael Markey

Yes Chris ... I`m hoping that it settles down in a day or two.

Old 05-21-2013   #147
jubbaa

Wow, I can see this is polarizing a community.

Personally I think it's a vast improvement over the old interface, much more interesting to look at both on my pc and my tablet. I could never see why it was so popular before and thought it was a terrible way to display pictures , I found it slow and unintuitive . Free space to store pictures to allow you to post on other sites perhaps, but that was about it.

I am really excited about this change and am going to start using it.

James

Old 05-21-2013   #148
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_novatron View Post
An article from a few days ago about the Flickr 'upgrade':

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/20/ya...ickr-redesign/

* SIGH * What a mess.

Hardly a ringing endorsement judging from some of the comments in that link.
The reference to the inability to open the new format on an older PC does not fill me we any confidence either.
Still we are told three times that its "awesome" ....oh dear .

Old 05-21-2013   #149
jubbaa

Actually I just had another look and I have to say i find it ...awesome.

Note that that I am looking at it from someone who doesn't have an account , so from a viewer as opposed to a 'user' . I can honestly say after years of not getting it , today has been a revelation , as I said above I am definitely opening an account and using it .

Old 05-21-2013   #150
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

I'm running an older desktop machine with XP, and can see my Flickr photo stream fine in Firefox. And also on the iPad2 I can see it fine in Safari and Chrome.

Of course, I haven't tried any advanced functions like uploading new images, so it remains to be seen if there are any bugs lurking about, but so far, so good.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 05-21-2013   #151
John Bragg

I have to say it looks ok on my HTC. Will look at my computer later. As with any newly deaigned user interface, it will have bugs and may take a bit of getting used to.

Old 05-21-2013   #152
Michael Markey

[quote=JoeV;2143234]I'm running an older desktop machine with XP, and can see my Flickr photo stream fine in Firefox. /quote]

When it was on the blink (for me) last week it worked in Firefox.
Guess I`ll have to use that same as I have to use Firefox if I want to post anything here.

Thanks.

Old 05-21-2013   #153
Michael Markey

No ..can`t get a photo stream in Firefox either.
Can`t raise yours either John from that link ....just loading , loading.

Old 05-21-2013   #154
bojanfurst

Just used it for the first time in a while Works well. I actually managed to find my way around quite easily. I liked the incremental improvements over the past few months. There does seem to be something off designwise, but maybe it will just take getting used to it again.
Instagram
twitter
Web

Old 05-21-2013   #155
ChrisLivsey

Where is there to go? - Recommendations requested.

How to get there? Can you pull out all the files in your photo-stream and export them?

I WANT TITLES BACK !!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 05-21-2013   #156
John Bragg

Quote:
No ..can`t get a photo stream in Firefox either.
Can`t raise yours either John from that link ....just loading , loading.
That's a bloody nuisance Michael. The link works on opera mobile. I will check my pc.

Old 05-21-2013   #157
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
Where is there to go? - Recommendations requested.

How to get there? Can you pull out all the files in your photo-stream and export them?

I WANT TITLES BACK !!
What's that with the titles? I can see all the titles of my images. No problem.

Old 05-21-2013   #158
Michael Markey

I have titles Chris just an inability to amend anything.

Old 05-21-2013   #159
j j

Quote:
I have titles Chris just an inability to amend anything.
Click on the image. You can amend from there just as before.

Old 05-21-2013   #160
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by j j View Post
Click on the image. You can amend from there just as before.

Ah , yes ...thanks.
It takes me to the slide show screen but I can amend now.

Tortuous comes to mind