Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 05-20-2013   #41
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Of course the whole ****ing world is heading this way. Windows 7 on my laptop actually seems like a logical operating system designed for a computer ... Windows 8 is somewhere between a smart phone and the devil IMO.

Old 05-20-2013   #42
Brian Legge

If you dig around a bit, there are articles around the net going back a few months talking about how flickr is following the general Yahoo strategy of focusing on mobile devices first. That isn't Flickr specific - the computing world in general is moving towards focusing on mobile devices since that is where most of the growth is going. I'm biased though as I spend my days on a desktop at work.

In addition to consuming content on mobile devices, it sounds like there are now more iphone photos going to flickr than any other camera.

To me, the real lesson is that if you want to control presentation you need to do it your self.

Old 05-20-2013   #43
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I made the jump to an adroid device recently but have become frustrated with its look and interface very quickly. The influence from these damned things is enormous IMO.

Old 05-20-2013   #44
aeturnum

Given the reaction to the redesign here and on the Flickr forums, it appears I'm one of the only people who loves the redesign.

I've been using Flickr since 2007 because they were a great digital archive. However, they've always been a poor forum to exhibit photos (imo). The new look is exactly what I've been looking for.

The display paradigm (only photos, no nonsense) seems perfect to me. Maybe I've been using the site differently than most of the user base, but it seems just as usable now as it was before. I also don't think they've removed or moved any functionality (the old view can be seen under the "edit" button on your feed).

I'm interested in what specific aspects people dislike.

Old 05-20-2013   #45
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I think one thing to remember is that RFF is heavily populated by people who don't like change ... and I claim no innocence here!

Old 05-20-2013   #46
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think one thing to remember is that RFF is heavily populated by people who don't like change ... and I claim no innocence here!
Sounds like there are a lot of old geezers here...........

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-20-2013   #47
fixed point

For the time being, you can see the old style photostream by appending "?details=1" to a username. I.e. http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_schmeiser?details=1

Old 05-20-2013   #48
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
Sounds like there are a lot of old geezers here...........

I was tempted to say that!

You saved me the trouble.

Old 05-20-2013   #49
thirtyfivefifty
Noctilust survivor

It's a mess! Everything is too big and overwhelming. Also, $50 just to remove ads? What a rip.

But... it says "Dear xxxxxx, as a Pro member continue to enjoy the benefits of unlimited space, an ad free experience and stats."
At the same Pro rate apparently...

Old 05-20-2013   #50
Al Patterson
Ferroequinologist

Quote:
I made the jump to an adroid device recently but have become frustrated with its look and interface very quickly. The influence from these damned things is enormous IMO.
I do like my Android tablet, but I doubt I'll ever edit photos on it. Viewing is great though. Posting from the Nook right now in fact.

Canon QL17 GIII
Leica CL 40mm Summicron-C 50mm Hexanon
Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Old 05-20-2013   #51
drew.saunders

I'm a Flickr "Pro" user (which no longer exists, thanks!) and here's what's bugging me about this:

Go here: http://www.flickr.com/account/prefs/layout/
See what happened to the page where you could control the layout? All gone! You no longer have any say in how your photostream is displayed. I absolutely loathe the monster-pictures, black background and loss of data under each image. What can I do about it? Absolutely nothing! Some people may like the changes, or some of the changes, but it doesn't matter, you can either take it or leave, and if you read the official feedback page, http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-...7633547442506/ it's about 1% take it to 99% "bite me."

With sites like this, you're either a customer or a commodity. Facebook, Google, Youtube: for all of those the customer is the advertiser and the users are commodities, and if you don't expect to be treated like a commodity, then you're fooling yourself. For a few, you can pay to get rid of the ads, which Flickr seems to want to move to. The problem is that for those of us who used to be pro users, we're now being treated like commodities, not customers.

I'll leave my account active, but I'll not pay them ever again, and if they offer the option of refunding the remaining year of my pro account, I'll take it. After that expires, it'll become an add-filled pile of garbage, just like everyone else's account. When flickr started, it was great, you were treated like a customer, and you had a great deal of control. Now, you're just image-fodder to get people to look at ads.

I have a friend who tried to convince me to move to smugmug. I think I will, until they get bought by Yahoo or Facebook and ruined as well.

Old 05-20-2013   #52
david.elliott

500px layout seems much nicer to me than the new flickr layout...

Old 05-20-2013   #53
maddoc
... likes film.

... can`t change from "Justified" to any other view-mode, page reloads set to "Justified" view.

I am glad that I still have my pbase account ...

flickr
pBase

Old 05-20-2013   #54
Ranchu
-

Lovely. It's unusable!

Old 05-20-2013   #55
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I haven't used my flickr account in ages and it was totally empty. I was curious to see how difficult it was to upload a couple of pics and work out how to get the link.

It's a lot more usable than photobucket!

The jury is still out for me.

Old 05-20-2013   #56
Sunti

My Flickr page works for about 5 min, then it stopped working altogether - links not responsive to click - and it isn't my laptop. Reloading doesn't help. They clearly have a performance / bug issue to sort out. Layout is secondary.

Old 05-20-2013   #57
farlymac
PF McFarland

I'll admit, I'm one of those "old geezers" here on RFf. I don't upgrade my systems very often because then it just gets passed up by something else the next week. Guess that makes me a closet Luddite. But I can't afford to buy a new computer every year, or a new camera every six months, which is what the market is wanting you to do.

My biggest gripe about the new layout is the way the Contacts photos just keep on loading, and loading, and loading. It took me three minutes to finally be able to get to the bottom of the page, so I could send them a flame-mail about it. And with the new set-up, all my Sets load on the same page, so that's another three minutes wasted everytime I go there. That also means looking at a set, then back to the Sets page.

I thought at one time about getting a nice DSLR, with all the attendant upgrades to my system. Cable Internet; new computer; if that was a laptop, then a new monitor; new software; new phone; maybe a tablet; new printers; and whatever other stuff I'd have to get to make it all work. It was close to $10,000 by the time I added it all up. And that was before all the monthly charges for improved phone service, WiFi, and now PS CC. I can't do that on a disability income.

I used to pay on a weather site so I wouldn't have to put up with all the advertising. Figured it was the best $10 a year I ever spent. Then one day the ads reappeared. I contacted them and asked what was the story, and they said I hadn't renewed my account. I asked why I wasn't notified, and the only thing they said was my name had been displayed in red at the top of the page. Like I'm supposed to notice some 6 point type all the way up in the corner of the page that I never look at anyway. So I dropped them. I'm going to have to think hard when the time comes to pay-up for the same priviledge on Flickr, which they say now comes in August. Only thing is, my renewal date is in December, and they supposedly added three months to the account earlier this year, so what's up with that?

Decisions, decisions...

PF

Old 05-20-2013   #58
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
... can`t change from "Justified" to any other view-mode, page reloads set to "Justified" view.
Mine won't either & I hate justified. MOF when I click on someone's photo it either wont load or takes forever. Looks like in December I won't be renewing. Glad the gallery here is better now.

Old 05-20-2013   #59
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

I don't like the new layout. Too messy for my liking. The old interface is cleaner. This is a one step forward and two steps backwards for Flickr. What a shame.

I will most likely stop my pro account or delete it and get a refund on the unused subscription.

Old 05-20-2013   #60
Contarama

Remember what happened to Myspace?

Old 05-20-2013   #61
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The one thing that makes me keep my flickr account is that it may be owned by an evil empire ... but it's not the evil empire ...

GOOGLE!

Old 05-20-2013   #62
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
I haven't used my flickr account in ages and it was totally empty. I was curious to see how difficult it was to upload a couple of pics and work out how to get the link.

It's a lot more usable than photobucket!

The jury is still out for me.

That's what I liked about it, Ken, was it's ease of use. But they make changes without telling anyone (kind of like e*^y), then you have to guess what it is you have to do. They just made sone changes within the last month, now they spring this on us. It's "Screw the customer, anything to keep the IT types feeling wonderful" time.

PF

Old 05-20-2013   #63
back alley
IMAGES

50 bucks for no ads seems a bit high...
i don't understand the home page...all the images are just bunched together in that 'justified' layout, which seems to be the only layout format allowed now.

i also don't like change...especially forced on me change where i pay for it.

i like improvements...not change for the sake of change...not yet decided which has happened here.

Old 05-20-2013   #64
css9450

What a mess. I can't even see my own photostream or any others for that matter. Just error messages, and I can't close the program. I suppose I need Windows 8 just to see it now?

Old 05-20-2013   #65
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
50 bucks for no ads seems a bit high...
i don't understand the home page...all the images are just bunched together in that 'justified' layout, which seems to be the only layout format allowed now.

i also don't like change...especially forced on me change where i pay for it.

i like improvements...not change for the sake of change...not yet decided which has happened here.
Joe I click on your (or anybody's) flickr link & the header loads immediately but under that all I get is a constant whirl around of the pink & blue balls. no photo's ever load even if I hit refresh. I hope they get it fixed.

Old 05-20-2013   #66
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
What a mess. I can't even see my own photostream or any others for that matter. Just error messages, and I can't close the program. I suppose I need Windows 8 just to see it now?
I'm running IE7, crap I didn't even think of that. Bummer.

Old 05-20-2013   #67
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
Joe I click on your (or anybody's) flickr link & the header loads immediately but under that all I get is a constant whirl around of the pink & blue balls. no photo's ever load even if I hit refresh. I hope they get it fixed.
it's all working ok for me...i click on your link and see your images fine...

Old 05-20-2013   #68
gb hill

Quote:
Yea I'm probably gonna have to do an upgrade on my machine.

Old 05-20-2013   #69
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
That's weird ... when I go to your page I can get the full screen slideshow but it refuses to work with my images! ???

Old 05-20-2013   #70
back alley
IMAGES

my machine is pretty 'old'...you know, for a computer! lol!!
macbook that apple wont allow the newest os to load on...

Old 05-20-2013   #71
Contarama

I like the dark background...that may be it's saving grace...

Old 05-20-2013   #72
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
That's weird ... when I go to your page I can get the full screen slideshow but it refuses to work with my images! ???
the slideshow is pretty horrible...it's like watching on a rolling boat!

Old 05-20-2013   #73
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

I do like CHange
But Not one's Home Page on Flickr
Doom & Gloom....
I miss the old home page / having a Choice/ four grande photos and 'Sets' easily viewed

So now with this 'New' change
how Do You post an Image from Flickr to RFf...
Can't seem to Find that : Share/ Size image / cut- paste / ??????

Old 05-20-2013   #74
anjoca76

Mixed feelings for me. It was, unfortunately, inevitable that flickr would get an update and that would include getting more facebook-y, which is frustrating. But the old format was far from perfect. I am surprised so many here loved the way it was.

I'll get used to it. Things change in life.

Flickr

Old 05-20-2013   #75
anjoca76

Helen, if you click on an image, you will see on the bottom right side an arrow, along with a star, etc. Click the arrow.

Flickr

Old 05-20-2013   #76
MCTuomey

... and it loads slowly too, at least on my 'puter. no like here.

My Flickr

Old 05-20-2013   #77
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I've checked out my page as well as others and as yet have had no problems. Pages load fast and no errors etc.

Since this is a major change there will probably be glitches but they can be worked out soon enough..

I personally like this layout better than the old and I suspect Flickr will most likely include different layouts to choose from in the near future.

As for price Smugmug's lowest priced setup is $40 year, Zenfolio $30 year but max storage of 4GB so $50 doesn't sound too far out to me...

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-20-2013   #78
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoca76 View Post
Things change in life.
Exactly...........too many today want to keep change away. I like change..........

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-20-2013   #79
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoca76 View Post
Helen, if you click on an image, you will see on the bottom right side an arrow, along with a star, etc. Click the arrow.
Love You Andy, THANKS !!!
Warming back up abit to the new flickr : wink, wink

Old 05-20-2013   #80
back alley
IMAGES

50 seems high when you consider it is double what i paid for the pro version...a doubling of price in one fell swoop is a bit much for many i predict.