Digital M7 in LFI
Old 12-30-2005   #1
Robin Harrison
aka Harrison Cronbi

Digital M7 in LFI

I'm sure you've all seen it already, but I couldn't find the thread in the Leica M section:

LFI Digital M

Shame those picutures are so small, and there's no picture of the top plate. My initial reaction is that Leica have failed to develop an elegant solution to the controls required for a digital camera. I see four buttons and a four way dial - pretty standard stuff. Seems they are behind Epson in that regard. I thought the revolving (hidden) screen, rewind knob control dial and retro dials were very cool touches.

Roll on February....
Mamiya 6 + 50/75/150, Hasselblad 500cm + 50/80/150,
Fuji X100s, XPro1 + 18/27/35/60
Misc. instant film devices!

Old 12-30-2005   #2
AndersG

And the copyright notice on the images say: © LFI (Montage)... so I think we are still in the dark concerning the layout of the Digital M.
Hopefully Leica will show some more sense of style too (not that I'd ever be able to afford one anyway, though).

/Anders
[Edited for clarity.]

Last edited by AndersG : 12-30-2005 at 08:55.

Old 12-30-2005   #3
Avotius
Some guy

yeah, my spidy sence says if the RD1 is 2500 something at 6mp, then the Leica is gona be 5000 something plus an extra 3000 for the name, plus an extra 2000 for the camera. Eeep.

Old 12-30-2005   #4
PaulN
Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Harrison
I'm sure you've all seen it already, but I couldn't find the thread in the Leica M section:

LFI Digital M

Shame those picutures are so small, and there's no picture of the top plate. My initial reaction is that Leica have failed to develop an elegant solution to the controls required for a digital camera. I see four buttons and a four way dial - pretty standard stuff. Seems they are behind Epson in that regard. I thought the revolving (hidden) screen, rewind knob control dial and retro dials were very cool touches.

Roll on February....
Arrrghhh. I hate those 4 way rocker switches. I've had more of those break on cameras then any other part. It all started with my Kodak 280 back in the day.

I, like you, really like he design of the R-D1. The fact that the screen folds in to protect itself is nice. It also looks discreet when it is folded in. Also, the buttons are folded in as well, and the only controls that are visible are the rewind knob, and the on/off switch (in addition to std. shutter/iso dial).

In my mind, this intial design borders on a d-lux2 with an M-Mount. I dunno, I've invested in the R-D1 and will most likely follow up with an R-D2. I like the form factor and interface. I love my MP, but the MD isn't calling out to me just yet. It just doesn't seem to have any magic to it, at least in my mind. It just looks like a p& digital camera with an m-mount.

-Paul

Old 12-30-2005   #5
Flinor

Since they say that it will follow the form factor of the M series, we will probably have to take off the bottom plate to insert and remove the flash card

Happiness is a CLE with a collapsible Summicron, loaded with Scala.

Old 12-30-2005   #6
paulh

Hi Gerry,

Good one! I almost rolled on the floor with laughter. A good break for having to be in the office on New Year's eve.

Cheers,
Paul
www.naturestops.com/gallery