Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Zorki-4 TTL
Old 08-05-2005   #1
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Zorki-4 TTL

Just found at one of the Russian photography forums a document that describes the procedure of adding TTL metering to Zorki-4: a circuit diagram with description.

Anyone wants that? It is in Russian but if there's enough interest I could translate it in a few days.

My Flickr

Old 08-05-2005   #2
Kin Lau

Neat... I'd like to see that too.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=583'>My Gallery</a>

Old 08-05-2005   #3
pendevour
Just do it.

Yes please - sounds very interesting.

Old 08-05-2005   #4
kmack
do your job, then let go

Post it to the list please.

Old 08-05-2005   #5
Seele
Anachronistic modernist

Add me too!

If it needs to incorporate batteries, wires, etc, I might even figure out a way to add a CPA system so as to bring new height to FSU photographic technology to new heights... but the shutter still goes "klonk" though

Old 08-05-2005   #6
AndersG

Yes, please. That sounds very interesting.

And it sounds like I project I could manage to do - unlike my dream project of ripping a 300D apart and hacking the firmeware enough so that it is unaware that the shutter and mirror and stuff is gone and that it is being used as a digital back for a FED 2.

/Anders

Old 08-05-2005   #7
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

OK, I forced the lazy me to make the translation right now. It was a quick job so don't expect fine English, but I hope it is legible enough. Feel free to correct me with respect to style and terminology.

My Flickr

Old 08-05-2005   #8
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersG
And it sounds like I project I could manage to do - unlike my dream project of ripping a 300D apart and hacking the firmeware enough so that it is unaware that the shutter and mirror and stuff is gone and that it is being used as a digital back for a FED 2.
I actually was contemplating an idea along the same lines, albeit for Kiev. Still, I need to stumble upon a broken 300d first, before thinking about it seriously

I'll now see how such a meter can be added to Kiev, though it is noticeably denser inside than Z-4.

My Flickr

Old 08-05-2005   #9
Jon Goodman

Thanks...this is interestingly along the same lines as what I have been working on for the Zenit 3m. In the 3m, the light sensors and the leds can be tucked on the side edge of the pentaprism, however. The problem is one of space, size of components and switching. On the 3m, I have almost decided it makes more sense to only meter for one film speed (like 100 or 200). Otherwise, a micro switch will have to be hidden under the base plate. There's just not enough free room.
Jon

Old 08-05-2005   #10
Kin Lau

Quote:
Originally Posted by varjag
I'll now see how such a meter can be added to Kiev, though it is noticeably denser inside than Z-4.
With the Kiev, it might be easier in some ways. The shutter curtain is metal, so you could paint the centre of it 18% grey, and aim the light sensor at that spot. That's how the Bessa's meter.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=583'>My Gallery</a>

Old 08-05-2005   #11
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

In this design they have fixed shutterspeed/iso pairs too, selectable with a switch in place of flash pre-synch collar.

My Flickr

Old 08-05-2005   #12
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau
With the Kiev, it might be easier in some ways. The shutter curtain is metal, so you could paint the centre of it 18% grey, and aim the light sensor at that spot. That's how the Bessa's meter.
True, but I was more concerned with place to put batteries. The one I can think of is the space at the corners of the film gate before the lens mount, but the batteries then have to be tiny.

The circuit can be stuffed under top casting I think, and the LEDs I'd rather have near the viewfinder rather than inside of it, Bessa-style. The ISO/speed selector could be placed instead of film speed reminder, if I figure out an easy way to wire it to the circuit.

My Flickr

Old 08-08-2005   #13
atelier7

This sounds very similar to what someone did for an old leica screwmount:

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/011d.shtml

Old 08-08-2005   #14
kiev4a

I would ask "why?" but I know the answer already: "Because we can."

Anybody got a aftermarket design for putting a motor drive on an Ansco Pioneer?

Old 08-08-2005   #15
rick oleson
Ancient Wizard

You can avoid all the battery hassles, just by making the opening shutter curtain out of selenium........

: ) =