Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Olympus 35 SP - glue on lens?
Old 01-22-2020   #1
fort_wendy

Olympus 35 SP - glue on lens?

I just got an Olympus 35 SP in great working condition but I just noticed the lens looks like it has glue on the edges. Will I have to deal with it or is this fine to shoot with?

Olympus 35 SP lens https://imgur.com/gallery/fdsQSva

Old 01-22-2020   #2
TenEleven

It's not glue *on* the lens as much as the glue holding the two lens elements together slowly letting go. As it looks currently I doubt you will see much of an effect on the pictures. Just keep shooting that camera until it gets much worse.

I've highlighted the two cemented surfaces (the front-most of which is probably failing) for you in the lens-diagram of the 35SP here.

Old 01-22-2020   #3
fort_wendy

Thanks for the response! Yeah I figured it the one holding the lens elements. I do hope it doesn't affect the photos. How long do you think this I gonna be good shooting with? Is it possible to clean it up?

Old 01-23-2020   #4
02Pilot
Malcontent

If you shoot with a hood you'll probably never notice it except wide open in very specific lighting circumstances. I have a lens with a big ugly blotch of separation right smack in the middle and you'd never know it from the photos.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 01-23-2020   #5
fort_wendy

Well I don't shoot with a hood and occasionally shoot wide open. I do hope it doesn't really show up.

Old 01-23-2020   #6
Dan Daniel

That's a strange looking separation. Of course it could just be the photos. Usually, though, separation looks more like an oil sheen or such. That lens looks like actual glue, thick and 'present,' not just an interference pattern from elements separating.

Does the glue have a 3-d aspect?

(From what I have seen people do to cameras, there could be a smear of grease or even hot glue bead..... )

Old 01-23-2020   #7
fort_wendy

Yeah reading up on separation it's supposed to look like an oil sheen. This one looks like crusty old wood glue or something. What do you mean by 3d aspect?

Old 01-23-2020   #8
splitimageview

That shouldn't affect anything. What does it look like if you look through the back of the camera, with the shutter held open on B?

Old 01-23-2020   #9
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort_wendy View Post
Yeah reading up on separation it's supposed to look like an oil sheen. This one looks like crusty old wood glue or something. What do you mean by 3d aspect?

What I mean is does it look like an object with thickness and volume? If so, most likely that is not separation. Although optics can be tricky and i don't know enough to say with certainty that separation will never look 3-dimensional.

Old 01-23-2020   #10
fort_wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
That shouldn't affect anything. What does it look like if you look through the back of the camera, with the shutter held open on B?
Good point, I'll check when I get home.

Old 01-23-2020   #11
fort_wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
What I mean is does it look like an object with thickness and volume? If so, most likely that is not separation. Although optics can be tricky and i don't know enough to say with certainty that separation will never look 3-dimensional.
That's what I thought. It does look like it's on the lens surface and not a delam, but you're right it can be tricky just eyeballing it.