Scan Full Frame with Nikon Coolscan 4000
Old 01-22-2019   #1
brothernature

Scan Full Frame with Nikon Coolscan 4000

I'm using VueScan with a Nikon Coolscan 4000. The top and bottom of a frame has a white bar and does not show the unexposed portions of the film (closer to the sprocket holes). Is there a way to scan a full 35mm frame with this scanner?

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2019   #2
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothernature View Post
I'm using VueScan with a Nikon Coolscan 4000. The top and bottom of a frame has a white bar and does not show the unexposed portions of the film (closer to the sprocket holes). Is there a way to scan a full 35mm frame with this scanner?

Thanks.
I dont think that you can scan the whole frame with Nikon 4000.
I have same machine.
However you can scan wider frame with manual film feeder MA-20 and FH-3 film holder rather than using Automarically feeder SA-21.
Having said that, I much prefer the SA-21 mainly due to its ability to scan the whole roll 135 film (with minor hack).

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 01-23-2019   #3
brothernature

I see, thank you. After taking a negative from a test strip and manually putting it in the SA-21, I see that the holder covers a bit of the bottom and top part of the frame. I know it's risky, but I wonder if anyone has experience with filing the holder down a bit? Maybe I'm the only one bothered by not being able to see the entire frame.

Old 01-23-2019   #4
Archlich

By filing off the holder you'd be risking film flatness.

Use a flatbed or camera if you'd want the whole frame.

Old 01-23-2019   #5
Steve M.

I'm pretty sure that if you use the FH-3 film strip holder with the MA-20, which is normally used for slides, that you can get pretty close to a full negative scan. Might have to use the Nikon software, not sure, it's been a while since I did this. The FH-3 crops a little, but not as much as your SA-21. The MA-20 gives full scans on slide film, I'm just not sure if it can be used w/o the FH-3 film holder when scanning negs.

Filing off the small amount needed to get full negative scans on your SA-21 will probably not affect film flatness.

Old 01-23-2019   #6
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothernature View Post
I see, thank you. After taking a negative from a test strip and manually putting it in the SA-21, I see that the holder covers a bit of the bottom and top part of the frame. I know it's risky, but I wonder if anyone has experience with filing the holder down a bit? Maybe I'm the only one bothered by not being able to see the entire frame.

The feeder SA21 is expensive. Do not destroy it.
As mentioned, a flatbed scanner can fulfill your request but really, why bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 01-23-2019   #7
brothernature

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
The feeder SA21 is expensive. Do not destroy it.
As mentioned, a flatbed scanner can fulfill your request but really, why bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because I want the speed of the 4000/SA21, but also don't want to crop ~1/16" all the way around the frame.

Old 01-23-2019   #8
bayernfan

When I scan with my Coolscan V w/ SA-21 (and Nikonscan software), I have a similar experience in that I cannot see the top/bottom edges of the negative. However, no white bars show up in the preview or final scan. Also, I can see the slight rounding of the corners from the camera's mask, which leads me to believe that it's barely cropping from top/bottom.

I'm wondering if:
1. the heavier top/bottom crop is an issue common to older Coolscan models that was eventually sorted out by the 5000 and V.
2. your SA-21 has a smaller mask (not sure why this would be)
3. Vuescan is not using the full potential of the hardware