Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Old 11-05-2014   #41
OlliL

Since Barnacks seem to acceptable in this "M" thread.

Whish I still had:

Old 11-05-2014   #42
Erik van Straten

The camera that started the black paint vogue in the fifties was not the Leica MP, but the Nikon S2. The black Nikon S2 was announced in October 1955. The quality of the finish is VERY high. The parts were first plated with black nickel and then painted. The paint surface is neither dull nor glossy. Over the years it keeps its original egg-shell gloss. Because it is the camera that started it all in the fifties it should be shown here.
An interesting detail is that Nikon did not use stamping - on the M3, M2 and M4 only the serial number is engraved - but all the white numerals, lettering and indications are engraved by hand, except those of the frame counter.

Erik.

Old 11-05-2014   #43
jxxxxxfoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
The camera that started the black paint vogue in the fifties was not the Leica MP, but the Nikon S2. The black Nikon S2 was announced in October 1955. The quality of the finish is VERY high. The parts were first plated with black nickel and then painted. The paint surface is neither dull nor glossy. Over the years it keeps its original egg-shell gloss. Because it is the camera that started it all in the fifties it should be shown here.
An interesting detail is that Nikon did not use stamping - on the M3, M2 and M4 only the serial number is engraved - but all the white numerals, lettering and indications are engraved by hand.

Erik.
Wow, what a beauty.

In the early 1980's a Topeka Capitol Jourmal photographer befriended me, he let me ride along once in a while on assignments. He kept ALL of his Nikon rangefinders on the floor board behind the drivers seat.

Leica Ia>IId Conversion
Old 11-05-2014   #44
wjlapier

Leica Ia>IId Conversion

Not my photo. I purchased this IId conversion earlier this year. No lugs. Shoots great with my 11 o'clock elmar. Tiny and compact. Paint and everything is original.

Leica Black Ia>IId Conversion by wjlapier, on Flickr

Old 11-07-2014   #45
Ginko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrianfoto View Post
Alright - here's my stash of BP M4's, all were made between 1969 and 1973 (from what I can find on the web) - all are original BP cameras. One has a modern BP Leicavit MP, (my apologies to the OP, if you like, I can remove those images ), so you can see a comparison of modern black paint and original. As you can see, some are very glossy while others are a little duller.

Hi,
Is it an early all black paint M4, with black painted brass strap lugs ? so nice !

Old 11-07-2014   #46
jxxxxxfoto

Hi Genko. I had to go look, nope, they're chrome (one is brassy, but not black paint). They just look black because of the lighting. Thanks BTW!

Old 11-08-2014   #47
Melancholy
To grain, or not to grain

I looked at this one some years ago, even posted a note here to check if it was an original bp, but I never bought it since the owner didn´t know anything about leica. I gave him honest information about the camera, so he decided to keep it in the family, since it used to belong a close family member.

I don´t know why the paint is removed, maby he planned to repaint it.

Old 11-08-2014   #48
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy View Post
I don´t know why the paint is removed, maby he planned to repaint it.
I am happy he didn't.

Very interesting camera. The paint is not totally removed. This camera also narrows the point down on wich the push button rewind makes place for the lever rewind. Must be somewere between No.948914 and No.948981 AFAIK. Thank you for posting these beautiful pictures!

Erik.

Leicaflex v1 Black Paint 1967
Old 11-10-2014   #49
SimonPJ

Leicaflex v1 Black Paint 1967

Not a black paint M, but I thought it might be interesting to see another example of genuine Leica black paint finish, from the early Leicaflex.

This is from 1967, on one of the 1000 or so black paint Leicaflex version 1's.

The paint finish is quite 'fat' and shiny - but does wear similarly to the BP M finish. This one hasn't shown any bubbling or deterioration of the finish apart from through wear.

Has anyone noted the similarities or differences between M and R black paint finishes? The overlap wouid have been with between M4's and all of the Leicaflex models.

Taken with M-P 240 (at ISO 3200): 50 Summilux R v1, and Hektor 12.5cm on 14076P and 14020 tubes for closeup of lettering

Old 11-19-2014   #50
nobbylon

This looks like early M2/3 gloss laquer. My Leicaflex has the later more satin finish. Thanks for posting.

A well-used M4
Old 11-23-2014   #51
Laviolette

A well-used M4

I bought this camera from my local university almost two years ago. I think it was the official photographer's camera. Because the slow speeds were sticking from lack of use (the camera spent many years in a box), I sent it to Gerry Smith of Kindermann Canada for a CLA. It's been working flawlessly since then.

I bought a chrome M3 some time ago and the first thing that struck me was how much heavier than my black paint M4 it was!

Old 11-27-2014   #52
Ace0fClub5

Quote:
I am happy he didn't.

Very interesting camera. The paint is not totally removed. This camera also narrows the point down on wich the push button rewind makes place for the lever rewind. Must be somewere between No.948914 and No.948981 AFAIK. Thank you for posting these beautiful pictures!

Erik.
Very interesting. I've been trying to figure this out myself. I have 948 99X, which is a lever rewind.
I'm trying to find out as much info as I can about these first 500 BP M2.

Old 11-27-2014   #53
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0fClub5 View Post
I'm trying to find out as much info as I can about these first 500 BP M2.
Very nice early M2. There is still quite a lot of paint on this one, nice, thin and dull.

The camera is a very early black lever rewind M2.

A pity is that it has no longer it's original vulcanite. The vulcanite is the weak point of the series. It is often loose, cracked or lost.

Erik.

Old 11-27-2014   #54
Ace0fClub5

Quote:
Very nice early M2. There is still quite a lot of paint on this one, nice, thin and dull.

The camera is a very early black lever rewind M2.

A pity is that it has no longer it's original vulcanite. The vulcanite is the weak point of the series. It is often loose, cracked or lost.

Erik.
That was my doing (perhaps foolishly), when I got it a few years ago. The only vulcanite left was a little on the right side, and on half the door. It was falling apart in my hands. So after a few months I decided to just bite the bullet and replace it. I actually (crazily) use this camera quite often, and it always loaded with film.

Got it from the original owner, who bought it new in the late 50s. It was in pretty rough condition when I received it. I had Steve's Camera here in LA work on it. He said it was extremely gunked up inside. Must not have seen any use for decades.

Old 11-27-2014   #55
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0fClub5 View Post
That was my doing (perhaps foolishly), when I got it a few years ago.
It is certainly not foolish that you've replaced the vulcanite, that was just neccessary seen the condition of the camera. I only ment to say that its a pity that the original covering is gone.

Mine also was restored on the inside, but now it is a joy to use, it is absolutely my favorite camera.

Erik.

Old 11-27-2014   #56
dreamsandart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonPJ View Post
Not a black paint M, but I thought it might be interesting to see another example of genuine Leica black paint finish, from the early Leicaflex.

This is from 1967, on one of the 1000 or so black paint Leicaflex version 1's.

This is a later 2nd version of the original Leicaflex. The first version differences: M-style strap lugs, ‘pie’ plastic shaped film exposure counter, black ring around the battery compartment, round tripod socket insert mounted with 3 screws (2nd with familiar built into as part the baseplate), meter was always on (with 2nd version the meter was activated with the lever advance).

This second version example seems to have had the grooved machined self-timer lever replaced with a flat version.

Leicaflex black lacquer was glossy and fairly thin easy to wear. Still one of my favourite cameras, very solid built, beautiful, nice in the hands, only centre micro-prism to focus with, but then you can only focus with the centre of a RF too, and I swear the finder is brighter than an M3

Old 11-28-2014   #57
nobbylon

There's some great pics here of great cameras showing the ageing texture of the paint etc, thanks for posting.

Old 12-18-2014   #58
kiemchacsu

well, this is not mine, just an ebay ads popped up this morning on my feed
US $11,779 for original M2 if anyone interest in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M2-ori...p2056016.l4276

Links to larger images:

http://leitz-camera.eu/photoalps/3751-1.jpg

http://leitz-camera.eu/photoalps/3751-2.jpg

http://leitz-camera.eu/photoalps/3751-3.jpg

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 12-18-2014   #59
philipus
ʎɐpɹəʇɥƃıɹq looɟɹəʇƃıɹq

Ah, the "reasonably priced" Photo Arsenal :roll eyes: And "near mint" no less (not). Still a lovely camera.

But this one at NOC is a better buy imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
well, this is not mine, just an ebay ads popped up this morning on my feed
US $11,779 for original M2 if anyone interest in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M2-ori...p2056016.l4276

Links to larger images:

http://leitz-camera.eu/photoalps/3751-1.jpg

http://leitz-camera.eu/photoalps/3751-2.jpg

http://leitz-camera.eu/photoalps/3751-3.jpg

Camera position: In general as shown in Fig. H and J, but according to requirements other positions are also possible or more practical.

Old 12-18-2014   #60
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipus View Post
Ah, the "reasonably priced" Photo Arsenal :roll eyes: And "near mint" no less (not). Still a lovely camera.

But this one at NOC is a better buy imho.
Well to be honest I am not in the market for a black paint M now nor in the future. So the price would not bother me at all. I am content with current M2&M3 chrome set up anyway.

P.S: now I remember that Arsenal Photo are very famous with their ridiculous high prices of Leica Items

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

an old photo...
Old 12-21-2014   #61
ali_baba

an old photo...

reminds me i should shoot a shot of my m240 - here's a photo of a few black paint bodies.

top one is an a la carte BP M7 that looks like an MP, had to sell it as it really wasn't working out for me, come to think of it i have the locative still if anyone's interested in it hit me up, i use a motor winter on my m6 but when i do end up getting a mp i'll use the locative on it. who knows when that'll be though, haa.

the others are m9's, they ended up seeing another year + of use and were even more brassed up, either way i found the paint on the m9's to be more durable than that on the m240 where it began flaking / rubbing off almost immediately.

anyway here's the shot:

tools of the trade... by j_lir, on Flickr

and here's a frame from japancamerahunter - i sold the m9 to a friend and when he was in tokyo he got stopped by the guy who does the blog, funny stuff, i've wasted loads of time lookingat cameras on his blog, which i'm sure many of you have as well, so as soon as i sell it it ends up on the blog itself, hahaha. but as you can see i've put loads of wear on the M9 i n the 3-4 years of abuse i put the body through, i say abuse, but i really just used the thing, the sensor was totally fine, and my glass on my lenses is fine as well, it's just the barrels which show that they bang into one another, but hey thats what happens when you work with these things as your tools, no better tools to be had as far as I'm concerned!!

also - i'm doing a sale on prints, it's 300 instead of 600 for (signed & numbered or artist proofs if it's an image i've not printed before) 13x19 archival prints and add shipping on top of that, you're looking at somewhere around 50-60 within the us for shipping as unfortunately the prints have to be sent to me in chicago from LA and then sent off to you. it's silly i know, but believe it or not the prints and their exorbitant shipping charge is still cheaper and better than any local option, sucks, i'd rather keep things local and support chicago businesses, but for processing, scanning, and printing i outsource to NYC or LA every damn time, what a shame!

best,

jesse

PS - email me @ [email protected] for any print inquiries, and check the work at www.jesselirola.com (password : jesselirola), jesselirola.tumblr.com, and on instagram (@jesselirola or www.instagram.com/jesselirola)!

Old 12-21-2014   #62
V-12

Looks like somebody has had the sandpaper out to me.

V

Old 12-21-2014   #63
JHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-12 View Post

V
Perhaps look up Mr Lirola's work before making such assumptions.
He uses his cameras properly, and it shows.

MY BLOG

MP, M2, 28 ELMARIT V3, 50 LUX V2, 15 VC

Old 12-21-2014   #64
ali_baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-12 View Post

V
haaaa.

and to you guys thanks for the compliments, who doesn't like compliments!

cheers,

jesse

[email protected]

Old 12-22-2014   #65
pgk

Whilst its not a (complete) black paint camera, this item might be of interest in this thread. Basically this is an M3 style Black Paint wind on lever which came off an MD-2 POST (yes, that's right!). The camera was thoroughly trashed but had a good bodyshell which is currently being fitted to a black chrome M4 with bodyshell issues (holes patched with epoxy resin - long story) and the MD-2 was cheap enough to buy for spares.

The wind on lever is clearly brass and has two small threaded holes; I assume for an attachment required in its 'Post' role, and I suspect that he camera must have been a replacement for an earlier one, as I can think of no other reason for it to be supplied in such a configuration. The lever is black painted and I assume always has been, despite the camera being black chrome. The holes now have small screws fitted to block them.

I've kept the lever because 'you never know' and its a bit of a curio, but am not sure that it will ever find a use in all honesty so if anyone has a 'project' for which it might be useful it might be available!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BP M Wind Lever.jpg (14.4 KB, 587 views)

Old 12-22-2014   #66
V-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHP View Post
Perhaps look up Mr Lirola's work before making such assumptions.
He uses his cameras properly, and it shows.

You mean photographers don't own sandpaper? On another DIY note you need a hammer instead of trying to knock it in with your head.

And yes, the photo's are lovely, fantastic, and I did look at them first. But unlike you a nice photograph does not make me cower.

V

Old 12-22-2014   #67
nobbylon

C'mon guys, play nice. It's usually me ruffling feathers with my anti digi M comments!
I started this thread because of my liking of BP Leica's and wish it to continue without any of the verbal fisticuffs, thx j

Old 12-22-2014   #68
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
C'mon guys, play nice. It's usually me ruffling feathers with my anti digi M comments!
I started this thread because of my liking of BP Leica's and wish it to continue without any of the verbal fisticuffs, thx j

Agreed ...

Old 12-22-2014   #69
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Agreed John, it's a great thread lets keep it nice and relaxed...

Simon

Old 12-22-2014   #70
Steve Hoffman
Leicanutt

Nothing came through, try again..

Old 12-29-2014   #71
DavidKKHansen

The recent activity in this thread has got me lusting after one!!

Quick question, is the rectangular frame around the ISO/DIN door painted black, or a standard M6 black chrome?

Old 12-29-2014   #72
madNbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKKHansen View Post
The recent activity in this thread has got me lusting after one!!

Quick question, is the rectangular frame around the ISO/DIN door painted black, or a standard M6 black chrome?
On the Millenniums it's black paint.

Old 12-29-2014   #73
DavidKKHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
On the Millenniums it's black paint.
Oops, I posted on the wrong thread, but the question about the M6 TTL Millenium I had, you just answered. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2014   #74
Steve Hoffman
Leicanutt

That's a beauty.

Old 12-30-2014   #75
nobbylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
My M4:

Leica M4 BLACK PAINT by Wegothim, on Flickr

Leica M4 BLACK PAINT by Wegothim, on Flickr

Lovely and from the same batch as my own. Interestingly yours has the early black screws. I suppose mine may have been changed at some point.
If you could post the other pics from your flickr that would be great,
Thanks john

Old 12-30-2014   #76
ibraz

Had to find a rear lens cap for the 35mm Summicron I just got.
Let's say it's a little more bulky than a made in china replacement cap...

Old 12-30-2014   #77
nobbylon

Nice, thanks for posting.

Old 12-31-2014   #78
nobbylon

My M4 from the same batch as the one above,

Old 12-31-2014   #79
bonatto
looking out

Updated with correct links!

M6ttl LHSA. Has been modified a bit, namely MP finder, advance lever, and BP shutter collar. Paint is surprisingly resilient on this one.

Old 01-01-2015   #80
nobbylon

Regarding M4 builds it would seem that there are subtle differences. Some rewind knobs are black paint over brass, some appear to be either black paint over nickel plate or are in fact well worn black chrome. Cranks seem to have all been paint over brass.
All shutter speed dials appear to be black chrome and asa dials paint over nickel plate.
It looks like it was dependant on whatever was in the parts bin at the time for rewind parts!